+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pod People in Pleasanton, a Mafia Game (Day 1 begins: Post 28)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Pod People in Pleasanton, a Mafia Game (Day 1 begins: Post 28)

On August 3rd, 1952, Jack Finney took his dog Baboo out for a long walk through the quiet streets of Pleasanton, Ohio.

He is never seen again.

Two nights later, someone reports a disturbance in the alley behind Gibson's Market. Baboo is there, but the once-friendly mutt is suddenly feral, savagely attacking the patrolman who went to investigate.

Other dogs in the town appear to go mad, biting beloved owners, cringing away from friendly hands. The cats of the town are not immune. They escape through any opened doors and lurk under porches, unwilling to be tempted by cans of tuna or a trilling bird.

Reports trickle in from across the state of strange, hypnotic lights in the sky. There are disappearances in other towns, too, and maddened animals.

Then a whisper that a Something was found in New Zion, a town 20 miles away. A Something that was somehow like a man, but not a man. A Something that was somehow alive, but not alive. A Something that grew as if, and this sets the skeptics to laughing, in a giant beanpod.

There is a bonfire in New Zion that night.

Skeptics in Pleasanton blame the weather, the heat that boils off the streets and dances on the brick buildings of the square. These are the dog days, and such heat always leads to craziness and paranoia.

A week passes. August 10. Pleasanton sits and swelters among the rolling hills of farm country. It's a crossroads town, with two thoroughfares meeting in the town square. There, a statue of the town's founder, Benjamin McGillicuddy, appears to direct traffic around a roundabout.

But the square is dark and quiet this Sunday night, until the screaming starts. For something has been found. Something like a plant and like a man. Something alive, but not alive. Something with the face of Jack Finney.

There will be a bonfire in Pleasanton tonight. There will be many bonfires in the days ahead.

The Pod People have come to Pleasanton.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Pod People in Pleasanton, a Mafia Game (Night 0)

As the game begins, there is only one Pod Person in Pleasanton. The Master Pod Person (MPP) wants to capture and sample townsfolk so that more Pod People can be created. This sampling process takes time, and leaves behind chemicals in the blood of the sampled townsfolk. Once a townie has been sampled, it's only a matter of time before he or she is replaced by a Pod Person unless killed before the final sampling and replacement can happen.

The MPP will choose a list of townspeople to sample during Night 0. This list cannot be changed once it has been created. If recruits are killed before they are replaced by a Pod Person, the MPP is out of luck. Two town roles cannot be empodded. If the MPP chooses one of these two players, the MPP is out of luck. The town cannot win without killing all the Pod People AND all of the recruits. If all Pod People are killed but there are still recruits alive, the recruits will still progress and eventually final sampling and replacement will happen.

The first name on the list will become a Pod Person on Night 1. The second name on Night 2. Etc. Exceptions are the two Town exceptions, dead Recruits, and Recruits that are vaccinated by the Mad Scientist. Vaccinated Recruits will become Pod People the following Night unless the vaccine is readministered.

Until they are replaced by Pods, recruits are usually unaware they have been recruited. They win if the Town wins.

Once they are Pods, they win if the Pods win.

The Pods will both Recruit and Night kill.

Night will end on Saturdays at 6 p.m. EDT (GMT -4). Day will end on Thursdays at 4 p.m. EDT (GMT -4). There is flexibility in these times.

The town's method of killing suspected Pods and Recruits will be by burning. Burning will by plurality vote. No majority is necessary. Tie votes will result in no burning.

No editing of posts.

Post votes to burn in blue bold (vote Julie). Rescind votes in red bold (unvote Julie).

There is no Night strategizing except for Pods. The Pods will have a board. The Pods may not strategize during the Day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Roles--Pods

Master Pod Person: The MPP will create the Master Pod List during Night 0. This list is not subject to change (other than through replacement players). The MPP may choose randomly or using any criteria the MPP chooses to use. The MPP has the final vote on all Night kills. Because the MPP has a great deal of practice at acting human, he or she will return a result of "Not a Pod Person" if investigated by the Psychoanalyst.

Pod Person: The Pods will know the identity of all other Pods, the MPP, and the Recruits.

Roles--Town

Recruits: Recruits are Town up until the Night of their empodding begins.

Town Drunk: After years of alcohol abuse, the Town Drunk (TD) has suffered brain damage. This damage enables the TD to detect Recruits who have been sampled. The damage also makes it impossible for the TD to be sampled or Recruited. The TD cannot detect Pods once they have replaced the Recruits. The TD can investigate a player every Night.

Psychoanalyst: Because the Pod People are new to acting human, they will occasionally slip up. After intense conversation, the Psychoanalyst can identify Pod People except for the MPP, but cannot detect Recruits. The Psychoanalyst can be Recruited. The Psychoanalyst can investigate a player every Night.

Sheriff: The Sheriff can protect any player including him or herself from being killed at Night. The only exception to this protection is the suicide of the Reporter. The Sheriff can be Recruited. The Sheriff can protect a player every Night.

Mad Scientist: The Mad Scientist has an experimental vaccine that interferes with the sampling. This vaccine can prevent any Recruit from becoming a Pod Person for one Night. The Recruit will become a Pod Person the next Night, along with any other Recruit that was scheduled to become a Pod that Night. The MS can readminister the vaccine as many times as he or she wishes. The MS can vaccinate him or herself. The MS can delay the suicide of the Reporter with the vaccine. The MS can be Recruited. The MS can vaccinate a player every Night.

Nosy Reporter: The Nosy Reporter knows the identity of the Town Drunk, the Psychoanalyst, the Sheriff, and the Mad Scientist. Because the NR knows the identity of the Town Drunk, he or she regularly checks in with the Town Drunk to see if there is any evidence of sampling. The NR will commit suicide before the final sampling and cannot be Recruited. If the Mad Scientist vaccinates the NR, the suicide will be delayed until the next Night (or until the vaccine is withheld). The Sheriff cannot stop the suicide by protecting the Reporter.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The PMs that will go out in a couple of minutes:

You are the Master Pod Person. By 6 p.m. EDT (GMT -4) on Saturday, I need a list of X number of players from the following list. This list can never be changed. The order you use will be the order in which your Recruits will become Pod People. The player you list first will become a Pod Person on Night 1. The player you list second will become a Pod Person on Night 2. Etc. You may discuss strategy during Nights here: XXXXXXX As your Recruits become Pod People, they will be directed to that address.

You are the Town Drunk. Your heavy drinking has damaged your brain in a strange way that enables you to detect those whose blood has been sampled by the Pod People. The damage prevents you from being sampled or Recruited. You may submit one name per Night, starting Night 1 (this is Night 0), to investigate. The Nosy Reporter knows your identity. You may be killed by the Pod People.

You are the Psychoanalyst. Your training allows you to identify the mistakes Pod People will make when they try to appear human. You may submit one name per Night, starting Night 1 (this is Night 0), to investigate. The Nosy Reporter knows your identity. You may be Recruited or killed by the Pod People.

You are the Sheriff. You can protect any one player including yourself each Night from being killed. You may submit one name per Night, starting Night 1 (this is Night 0), to protect. You cannot prevent the Nosy Reporter's suicide. The Nosy Reporter knows your identity. You may be Recruited or killed by the Pod People.

You are the Mad Scientist. You have developed an experimental vaccine that prevents any one player including yourself each Night from final sampling and being replaced by a Pod Person. You may submit one name per Night, starting Night 1 (this is Night 0), to vaccinate. The Nosy Reporter knows your identity. You may be Recruited or killed by the Pod People.

You are the Nosy Reporter. You know the identity of the Town Drunk (XXX), the Psychoanalyst (XXX), the Sheriff (XXX), and the Mad Scientist (XXX). Because you know the identity of the Town Drunk, you regularly check in with the Town Drunk to see if there is any evidence of sampling. You will commit suicide before the final sampling and cannot be Recruited. If the Mad Scientist vaccinates you, the suicide will be delayed until the next Night (or until the vaccine is withheld). The Sheriff cannot stop your suicide.

You were Recruited. You have been sampled and replaced by a Pod Person. You may discuss strategy with your fellow Pod People during Nights here: XXXXXXX

You are a Citizen of Pleasanton. You have no special powers. You may be Recruited and replaced by the Pod People. Be alert!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Confirming PM. This looks exciting!
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Registered
    Feb 2009

All PMs have been sent. Please check in when you received yours.

The player list:

1. sublight
    2. Claptree
    3. What Exit?
    4. Lucifer
    5. Vox
    6. AllWalker
    7. Zsofia
    8. cowgirl
    9. jali
    10. pedescribe
    11. One and only Wanderers
    12. Rabid Renaissance
    13. Myrnalene
    14. paulwhoisaghost
    15. Angel of the North
    16. Total Ulla
    17. special ed

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Confirming

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Confirmificating.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Roger dodger, role received.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have my PM

Registered
    Mar 2009

In the interests of disclosure, I have 1 finished Mafia Game under my belt, and 1 game currently in progress. I was vanilla Town in my first game, but of course I will not disclose my role or alignment for the game in progress, thankyouverymuch.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have deadly serious proposal...

To unofficially refer to the daily peasant (or former peasant) burninations as "sending player x to Trogdor for judgement".

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm here, and I know who I am.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Spoiler (mouseover to read):
    THATCH ROOF COTTAGES!!!!!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rabid Renaissance
    I have deadly serious proposal...

To unofficially refer to the daily peasant (or former peasant) burninations as "sending player x to Trogdor for judgement".
    I prefer "player X has been invited to a baked bean supper."

Registered
    May 2009

Confirming receipt of PM!

Registered
    Apr 2009

JULIE, is Night 0 an active Night? Meaning...are there any actions that will take place toNight?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think Night 0 is just for the Master Pod Person to make up a list of people to sample and submit it to Julie.

Registered
    Mar 2009

role received

Registered
    Mar 2009

Message received and understood, ma'am.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm here - got the PM and is ready to play.
    For those of you that don't know me - you can read all about my mafia-history in the wiki:

http://www.mafiagameswiki.com/mafiaWiki/User:Total_Ulla

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Confirmed.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    I think Night 0 is just for the Master Pod Person to make up a list of people to sample and submit it to Julie.
    Correct. So, if I receive the MPP's list early, I will end the Night early and Day 1 will be longer than normal.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Confirmed

Registered
    Mar 2009

Confirmed!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Me got it.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm just watching. Posting to subscribe. Good luck!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Night 0 has ended.

Day 1 begins. Day 1 will end on Thursday, May 28 at 4 pm EDT (GMT -4).

Two players--pedescribe and Zsofia--have not yet confirmed, however Day 1 is extra long so I believe they will have time to catch up. If anyone sees either player, feel free to nudge them to check their PMs!

Let the carnage begin. Beware Empoddification!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Pod People in Pleasanton, a Mafia Game (Day 1 begins: Post 28)

Sorry, got it!
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Registered
    Mar 2009

vote Claptree

it says right in their name that they are a plant!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Confirmininated.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by One and only Wanderers
    vote Claptree

I would be upset at being found out so early, but I am clearly playing against a superior intellect.

Game over

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Claptree
    vote Claptree

I would be upset at being found out so early, but I am clearly playing against a superior intellect.

Game over

wow, getting a touch snarky about a random vote....

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

vote Claptree

Game over
    Well, that was quick! Onto night 1.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Dude. Not snarky in the least. Read it as tongue in both cheeks at once. I haven't got a snarky bone in my body.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=One and only Wanderers]
    Quote Originally posted by "One and only Wanderers":2ngwc4yo
    vote Claptree

Game over

wow, getting a touch snarky about a random vote....[/quote:2ngwc4yo]

wow, getting a touch defensive about a little snark...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dude. Not snarky in the least. Read it as tongue in both cheeks at once. I haven't got a snarky bone in my body.
    I tried my best to put tongue in both cheeks. I have even less skills than I once believed.
    Glee 2009

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    I tried my best to put tongue in both cheeks. I have even less skills than I once believed.
    Does that mean you are a pod person?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Wow. I guess Claptree should have said, "Thank you, may I have another?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?

Does that mean you are a pod person?
    No.
    It means that I'm trying to amuse myself for the last 41 minutes of this workday.

Are you a Pod Dude? Get back if you are!
    Glee 2009

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Vote: One and Only Wanderers

Normally, the random vote wouldn't be suspicious in and of itself, but the defensiveness in response makes him seem like he might be trying to artificially build up a wagon against Claptree. Of course, he might not be, either, but it's early in Day 1.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Needle in a haystack

Anyone have a magnet?

random.org seems a reasonable path to me. Power roles are particularly exposed right now and I hope they keep their heads down and cards close to their vests.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If you kind of flatten it out and at the same time relax it so it's floppy, you can get part of it in each cheek, sort of.

I don't get off work for another hour, why do you ask? If I had a wedding ring and wasn't at the public desk I'd totally be putting it up my nose.
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hold on.

Post #38 - did What Exit? just edit?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by pedescribe
    vote Claptree

Game over
    Well, that was quick! Onto night 1.
    You seem a litle eager to move to Night. Perhaps to speed up your empoddening?

*shifty look*

But really, that sequence is a joke met by dry humour met by defensiveness. If we can't even have fun while we do this, then the pods have won.

vote One and Only Wanderers

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You have to use your tongue in one cheek and someone else's tongue in another cheek. Your choice of which cheeks to use, of course

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

hold on, are we allowing editing?

Registered
    Feb 2009

No editing is allowed. Not for any reason. Fear the wrath of my mad mod skillz, yo.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Vote count:

One and only Wanderers: 2 (Vox Imperatoris, AllWalker)

Claptree: 1 (One and only Wanderers)

Registered
    May 2009

Okay, if this posts twice forgive me, I don't think my first post went through.

This is a cool, unusual setup. I've never played a game like this before with one scum to start off with. Normally I like to vote early on Day One and change my votes as needed. But in this case, I believe the MMP is likely to hang back and watch us lynch each other. So I'll be holding my vote until near the end of the day most likely, and vote for a lurker.

+ Reply to thread