+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sensitive data missing from National Archives

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Default Sensitive data missing from National Archives

The National Archives lost a computer hard drive containing massive amounts of sensitive data from the Clinton administration, including Social Security numbers, addresses, and Secret Service and White House operating procedures, congressional officials said Tuesday.

One of former Vice President Al Gore's three daughters is among those whose Social Security numbers were on the drive, but it was not clear which one. Other information includes logs of events, social gatherings and political records.

<snip>

The drive is missing from the Archives facility in College Park, Md., a Washington suburb. The drive was lost between October 2008 and March 2009 and contained 1 terabyte of data — enough material to fill millions of books.
    Just how secure is the National Archives?! Isn't it open to the public? Why was it stored there, and not somewhere more secure?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Sensitive data missing from National Archives

Tip of the iceberg, probably!

We in the UK aren't exactly careful with our sensitive data either. Google "UK data losses".
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In further news, the hard drive appears to have been stolen by Nicolas Cage and Justin Bartha, who believe it contains some sort of treasure map.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Let's hope it's not got Bill Clinton's home movie collection in amongst the data.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Are they letting Sandy Berger back in the Archives?

+ Reply to thread