+ Reply to thread

Thread: Evolution for the win...........

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Evolution for the win...........

Missing link fossil unveiled today. Is this as big a deal as the story makes it out to be?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/ ... ssing-link
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Evolution for the win...........

It's a lovely fossil, all right, and an important new picture of very early primates. Most paleontologist go their whole career without making such a discovery.

Not that it'll change the minds of any creationists, of course. They already have to ignore a mountain of evidence; this is just one more bit.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is going to generate so many people saying "But...but...but..." at the Creation Museum, it's going to sound like Sturgis out there.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Because it's so remarkably complete and at an interesting point in our evolutionary family tree, it's going to be pretty informative to study. It's not going to revolutionize anything as near as I can tell, though. It looks as though it'll just back up certain preexisting theories. We'll have a very good idea about this particular species and about the period of time shortly after our branch of primates split off from lemurs, essentially.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Cool fossil and find but as other have said, it won't change many minds.

Now on the science side, this is a great find and a great museum piece and anything that drags more kids to science museum is usually great.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Tabloid science aside, there never was any such thing as a "missing link."

Registered
    Feb 2009

No, but really detailed continued evidance for the thinking man's side is a good thing no matter what, and WhatExit is right, anything that generates interest in a museum is a good thing too.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Not that it'll change the minds of any creationists, of course. They already have to ignore a mountain of evidence; this is just one more bit.
    Yep. My fundie students just looked at the picture, read the article and said "So what?"
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Q.E.D.
    Tabloid science aside, there never was any such thing as a "missing link."
    Expanding further on that, I've seen this fossil referred to specifically as "the missing link between primates and other mammals." That is absolutely, utterly false. This is a fossil of the primate line after the split between prosimian primates (lemurs, tarsiers) and simian primates (monkeys, apes, us).

It links nothing and is simply another spot in a gradual progression. Trying to view things as a chain with each species as a link is a good way to not get evolution whatsoever.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Over at the other place's thread on this story, someone mentions humans being the top branch of a still growing evolutionary tree. Does anyone know what evolutionary stages have occured during the period of human history, and specifically the last 100 years? Are there any signs that evolution has slowed down or began to speed up at all?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

While there have doubtless been genetic shifts in human traits to varying degrees over the course of human history, It is not possible to pick them out with great accuracy over the relatively short term. Evolutionary change only becomes really apparent over the course of many, many tens or even hundreds of thousands of years. All of written history only encompasses some 5,000 to 6,000 years or so; far too little for any significant evolutionary change.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Default Fossil giving insight into our evolution unveiled

Fossil Ida: extraordinary find is 'missing link' in human evolution.
    guardian.co.uk:
    The top-level international research team, who have studied her in secret for the past two years, believe she is the most complete and best preserved primate fossil ever uncovered. The skeleton is 95% complete and thanks to the unique location where she died, it is possible to see individual hairs covering her body and even the make-up of her final meal – a last vegetarian snack.
    Wow! I wonder if they have thought to compare her to the "hobbits" yet? I think it might be an interesting comparasion.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Fossil giving insight into our evolution unveiled

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Edit: Please merge the topics then, mods?
    [modhat:32isolbh]Merged as requested[/modhat:32isolbh]

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

Well, we are taller than the Victorians were, and longer lived. Part of that is our mothers getting adequate nutrition while carrying us, and another part is due to many people getting proper nutrition while growing. I don't know if they can say one way or the other if babies are being born larger solely due to a better understanding of prenatal care, or if it is also evolutionary. (As in, we are bigger because our parents were bigger.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

"We presume that our readers are too ignorant to appreciate the significance of an exceptionally well-preserved early primate fossil; so rather than waste time attempting to educate you all, we're just going to make up some shit featuring the terms 'evolution' and 'missing link,' and then use it as an excuse to commemorate the 200th birthday of Charles Darwin."

In fairness, what are the odds that a genuinely earth-shattering discovery regarding human evolution would be made during Darwin's bicentenary year? I guess you have to run with what you've got. Happy birthday, Chuck. In your honor, science has formally announced that monkeys and lemurs are related, which you already knew back in the 19th Century.

Registered
    May 2009

I guess maybe I'm a bit cynical about this stuff. It seems to me to be yet another transitional fossil. It was actually discovered 20 years ago, but recently purchased by a museum for almost $1 million dollars. And, suprise!, they are hyping it beyond belief, trying to drum up interest in order to pay off their investment.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Q.E.D.
    While there have doubtless been genetic shifts in human traits to varying degrees over the course of human history, It is not possible to pick them out with great accuracy over the relatively short term. Evolutionary change only becomes really apparent over the course of many, many tens or even hundreds of thousands of years. All of written history only encompasses some 5,000 to 6,000 years or so; far too little for any significant evolutionary change.
    When it comes to evolution, I found thinking in generations rather than years to be more useful. 100 years? It's like, five generations tops. It's nothing. We can start talking about genetic changes within, say, 100 generations. Sometimes less, but only when really strong selective pressure is present. Overall, genetically we are basically the same creatures since first cuneiform was scribbled.

Quote Originally posted by Zabigail
    Wow! I wonder if they have thought to compare her to the "hobbits" yet? I think it might be an interesting comparasion.
    Not really. Totally different time (less than 100k years for Homo Florensiensis, about 47M for that fossil), different place, actually nothing in common. About as interesting as comparing to any other extant or recently extinct primate.

Stegodon
    Registered
    May 2009

They compare to modern humans though. So why not see how much changed in that time, and where? Someone has to look at how gradual or swift the changes were, and that does mean comparing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Over at the other place's thread on this story, someone mentions humans being the top branch of a still growing evolutionary tree. Does anyone know what evolutionary stages have occured during the period of human history, and specifically the last 100 years? Are there any signs that evolution has slowed down or began to speed up at all?
    That's a whole 'nother thread in and of itself.

First, the idea that Homo sapiens is the top branch of any evolutionary tree is completely anthropocentric and otherwise laughable. Every extant species is the top branch of the evolutionary tree, because every extant species is currently adapted to its ecological niche well enough to survive. If you want to talk about success of a species as a deciding factor, we still lose out. Bacteria are far more populous, both in numbers and mass, and even Zea mays (corn) has more individuals per generation. They've even got a whole other species working to propagate it.

Second, the others are correct in saying that evolution takes a much larger chunk of time to become apparent than anything encompassed in human history. Off the top of my head, the last noticeable adaptations for Homo sapiens include lower melanin content in skin cells to allow more Vitamin D manufacture (probably when Eurasia was colonized, some 40-50,000 years ago), blue eyes (about 15,000 year ago, only in northern Europe), and lactose tolerance (when cattle were domesticated, some 10,000 years ago).

Anything else? Um, the prevalence of O+ blood type may be beneficial in populations exposed to the Black Death. There was an article today that shows the trisomy of chromosome 21 (the cause of Down's Syndrome) may have very strong anti-angiogenic characteristics, possibly explaining why the prevalence of cancer among those with Down's Syndrome is only 10% of the rest of the population. All these factors are currently only part of the variation half of evolution. There hasn't been enough time to see if these variations provide any sort of successful adaptation. Who knows, maybe in 100,000 years, the human race will be more successful if we all have Down's Syndrome, blue eyes, and lactose intolerance.

Modern humans have been around for far less than one million years - probably around 150,000 years.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I didn't mean "top branch" to imply any kind of superiority, but as the latest part to 'grow on the tree'*. We humans are among the latest things to have evolved, aren't we?

* So really, I should have said "latest branch".
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    I didn't mean "top branch" to imply any kind of superiority, but as the latest part to 'grow on the tree'*. We humans are among the latest things to have evolved, aren't we?
    * So really, I should have said "latest branch".
    Probably "among the shortest living branches" is the best way to put it. By any measure it's fair to say that Homo is an extremely recent branch, though that doesn't imply superiority or "most evolved" or any of the like.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sadly, it was too good to be true.

See, the supposed links between this fossil and humans are purely neurolinguistic programming falsehoods, except for those parts aren't, which are obvious because God made them for a reason. And scientists have funny accents.

And the fact the newscasters used the term 'holy grail' to describe the fossil proves atheism is a religion.

To be honest, I started browsing elsewhere after the first couple of minutes and just listened to him in the background, so if he whips his dick out at the end, I apologize for not warning you.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

+ Reply to thread