+ Reply to thread

Thread: 43 children in Florida shot with stun guns for educational purposes

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default 43 children in Florida shot with stun guns for educational purposes

http://rawstory.com/08/news/2009/05/...g-prison-tour/

At least, that's the story of Prison Officer Walter Schmidt. This happened during a "Bring Your Children to Work Day", so most of the kids were children of people working at the prison.

From the article:
    “It wasn’t intended to be malicious, but educational,” said 37-year-old prison officer Walter Schmidt, who was among those who were fired over the incident. “The big shock came when I got fired.”

I'm going to assume he's not just trying to be funny with the "shock" comment. I really can't figure out how anyone could think this was a good idea. I could maybe chalk it up to carelessness if all the kids were high school seniors or something, but some of them were as young as 5! I thought the whole "this is why Florida has it's own Fark tag!" thing was overdone, but.. I guess not.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: 43 children in Florida shot with stun guns for educational purposes

That'll learn 'em.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Why am I not shocked?

Because my daddy's not a correctional officer in the USA... that's why!

This makes me wonder what kind of psychological profiling is done before people are hired for such important jobs?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

If only this Prison Officer Walter Schmidt would turn the stun gun against his own groin, we might have a candidate for the Darwin Awards.

C'mon, Florida, make me proud!

Registered
    Feb 2009

But it might just give him mutant sperm instead? Let's not encourage him!
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Logos
    If only this Prison Officer Walter Schmidt would turn the stun gun against his own groin, we might have a candidate for the Darwin Awards.

C'mon, Florida, make me proud!
    Well, most of taser certificate courses involve being shocked with them, so chances are that most if not all officers involved were in the past on the receiving end of stun gun. That's probably reason why they didn't thought that it's big deal.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by The Logos
    Morbo: "STUN GUNS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by puppygod
    Well, most of taser certificate courses involve being shocked with them, so chances are that most if not all officers involved were in the past on the receiving end of stun gun. That's probably reason why they didn't thought that it's big deal.
    I bet most of them weren't 5 years old, and they probably weighed more than 60 pounds, too. And, y'know, probably weren't being tasered by one of the two people they trust most in the universe to protect them from pain and harm.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

WhyNot, seeing your name right after "43 children in Florida shot with stun guns for educational purposes" is, again, probably one of the worst (and funniest) ways the forum is formatted with the "last poster" being right after the title.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Clayton_e
    WhyNot, seeing your name right after "43 children in Florida shot with stun guns for educational purposes" is, again, probably one of the worst (and funniest) ways the forum is formatted with the "last poster" being right after the title.
    Yeah, my username is good for that!
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Eh. I'm just not seeing the problem here.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think the problem is, what sort of parents zap their offspring with stun guns for 'educational purposes'?

I can just imagine the conversations. "Ooh, ooh, let me zap that little Tommy Brown. I've always hated that little shit!".

Registered
    Feb 2009

Lots more should.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Such deep wisdom in so few words!

Couldn't the technology for 'tagging' criminals be combined with electric shocks, so that parents could give their children 'a reminder' when it was time to come in, or when they were going to hang on that corner where they'd been told not to?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Eh. I'm just not seeing the problem here.
    Have Tasers been tested for safety on children? If the FDA is telling me I can't use a decongestant or cough suppressant on my child because they haven't been tested on kids, I don't see why a Taser should be okay. That shit kills people, man! In the real world, unlike labs, it causes ventricular fibrillation (y'know, that wiggly line of the heart monitor that makes people rush around and grab the paddles on ER?), and departments that introduce Tasers have a sixfold increase in "sudden deaths."

Taser use in the real world, in the hands of non-scientists, isn't nearly as safe as it is in a controlled lab, unfortunately.

I'm trying to be all rational here and not care about this, but it's really got me mad. It's not about precious snowflakes and pain, I really couldn't care less about that (and have written before about how I think kids need to be allowed to risk more pain these days, actually). It's about the health risks they subjected their kids to for no good reason.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have to agree that if we were talking about high school kids, I'd ask what the big deal was, but when we're talking about kids as young as five, that parent deserves to be fired.

And very probably have CPS come to visit.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, it's worth noting that these weren't "Tasers", but stun guns with less power. Still, I'm willing to bet it's not something that a five year old should be exposed to.

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    Have Tasers been tested for safety on children?
    This reminded me of something. A few years back I remember hearing about someone inventing a stun-gun specifically for use disciplining children. For some reason it wasn't popular. Can't imagine why.

Here is an article about it. And the creator? From Florida!
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have a (soon-to-be) 5 year old, and I'm not particularly protective of her nor confrontational with people in general. However, if someone did this to her, I'd kick his ass myself.

Registered
    Feb 2009

These kids were pretty much zapped by their own parent, since it was "Take your kid to work" Day.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy Tearrs
    This reminded me of something. A few years back I remember hearing about someone inventing a stun-gun specifically for use disciplining children. For some reason it wasn't popular. Can't imagine why.
    My husband and I have imaginary taser remote controls. When the kids are in the next room fighting, we'll pick up our imaginary remotes and zap the hell out of them.

+ Reply to thread