+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moscow police detain scores at gay pride rally

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Moscow police detain scores at gay pride rally

There have been claims that Russia officially sanctions homophobia, but don't worry. The claims appear to be true.

I hadn't paid attention to the Eurovision song contest or gay rights in Russia, but someone posted a link to this story on Twitter and caught my attention. Of course, one thing lacking from this article is any real justification for what the police did. While Russia is apparently no bastion of equality for LGBT people, could there have been a reason, aside from the fact that they were being denied their right to assemble? Was the claim that the demonstration was "morally wrong" the only justification offered? That seems remarkably weak when the rest of Europe is looking at you.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Moscow police detain scores at gay pride rally

I'm no expert on modern Russian politics, but with the growing resurgence of hard core nationalistitc Russian politicians, and even politicians speaking in praise of the good old Soviet days, I'm not surprised to see that there is a resurgence towards the older treatment of homosexuality by the Russian government. Whatever such hard line stances cost Russia on the world stage, I'm afraid that they may benefit those in power more, by bringing back another hallmark of the old Soviet style government.

Registered
    Feb 2009

They decided to hold an unauthorised rally in Moscow having been told not to and then got upset when the riot police came out. They held the rally purely because the Eurovision Song Contest was on and it would get them column inches, not to mention the contest has a very large LGBT following.

By comparison with some other countries, it lags behind in freedom to express, although it is no longer a crime.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    They decided to hold an unauthorised rally in Moscow having been told not to and then got upset when the riot police came out. They held the rally purely because the Eurovision Song Contest was on and it would get them column inches, not to mention the contest has a very large LGBT following.

By comparison with some other countries, it lags behind in freedom to express, although it is no longer a crime.
    Looking at it that way, it certainly makes a lot more sense. Essentially, they were purposefully provoking a response to get media attention?
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit

Looking at it that way, it certainly makes a lot more sense. Essentially, they were purposefully provoking a response to get media attention?
    Peter Tatchell was involved. I would not be surprised.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

+ Reply to thread