+ Reply to thread

Thread: Intel find €1.1bn by the European Commission

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Intel find €1.1bn by the European Commission

Intel has just been find a lot of money by the EC for anti-competition practices in their battle with AMD to be the top chip processor.

Story here

It looks as though they have been paying certain manufacturers to take their chips instead of their competitors. Intel are going to appeal, which should keep this going for a while. Let's see if the EC can actually get any money of of Intel, I don't think they ever managed with Microsoft.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Intel find €1.1bn by the European Commission

EEEEEEEEEEEEE

Tak thm, I don't nd thm.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Beebs, I was going to say something like that, but not remotely as funny.

No surprise, really. There will be no payouts of fines so long as Microsoft and Intel can appeal to "seek clarity from the Court".
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    Let's see if the EC can actually get any money of of Intel, I don't think they ever managed with Microsoft.
    I didn't realize this. Back in 2004 I remember this story seemed like a really big deal, even though I didn't quite understand it. Trying to find news about it I see that Microsoft was fined, then fined again, and again in 2008; but I can't find any information about actual payment (nor to who exactly they would pay the money to). I never knew that. Presumably, if there was money paid who would it go to? The competitors they harmed, or would it be like some settlement to go to customers. I have no idea what a payment to the EC would consist of.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Is this some sort of EU business model? Leeching off the American corporate tit?

+ Reply to thread