+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your WORST concert experiences?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Your WORST concert experiences?

Just to keep the thread alive:

I never liked metal, and I especially didn't like "hair bands". But when my best friend and a coulple of his friends decided to go see Ratt towards the end of 8th grade (May, 1985), I decided to go with them for some reason. And why not? Tickets were only $13.50 or so.

My best friend and I had been up until 5am talking on the phone the night before, so when the opening act came out (some guy from Jersey called Bon Jovi), we actually went to sleep in our seats. Our friend Neil just sat in his and quietly watched the show, while our friend Mike went to out to the concourse to go chat up some chicks (to buy him drinks, not to get laid).

Shortly before Ratt went on, Mike came back and woke Richard and me up. And then the band came out. It was all good (I guess), but a few minutes into it, Mike nudged me with his shoulder and said "Look at that dumbass!"

He'd pointed to the very top row of seats in our section. There was a group of mulletheads sitting by themselves in the top row, and one of them had started dancing on top of the empty chair in front of him. Not the seat of the chair, mind you... but the top of the seat back... the inch and half thin plastic seatback. And, judging buy the way he was dancing, he was pretty loaded. I nudged Richard, and we all laughed at the poor guy. As the show went on, we'd occasionally glance back and check on "Mullet Dancer".

A few songs later, I was glancing back at him... and I saw him fall over. Since he was dancing on an aisle seat, he'd fallen onto the steps. And since this section of the Omni was like... 800 feet off the floor (hyperbole), I watched as he tumbled down the steps. I practically slapped my two friends to get their attention... "LOOK! LOOK! LOOK!" And that poor bastard just kept falling. It seemed as though our entire section was looking at this poor guy by the time he'd fallen halfway down the stairs... everyone was just frozen in either horror or amusement as he tumbled down the concrete steps. The steps at the Omni were tiny and there were no "landings" on them... just a giant row of concrete steps that went up and up and up. So there was no way to stop this guy.

When he hit the bottom, he was swarmed by ushers. He actually stood up under his own power, but immediately fell down. How much was drink and how much was brain damage, I'll never know. His landing was in shadow, but I could swear that I saw blood all over his head. Whether he really was bleeding or if that was just the hyperactive imagination of an 8th grader, I'll never know that, either.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Back in 1985, I was at the Omni to see Ratt. The opening band was these homo looking pretty boys from Jersey. They had some song where they were singing "Oooh, she's a little runaway." It fully sucked. All the chicks were totally wetting themselves over those barneys, though, so more power to 'em.

Anyway, when Ratt finally took the stage I was all like...

\m/ \m/

....like "ROCK AND ROLLLLLLL!!!" know what I'm sayin'? And by that time I was pretty loaded on like eleven Natty Ices from the concession stand. And all these dumb chicks stood up in front of me so they could check out Stephen Pearcy's package, cause he was, you know, in those spandex pants with the stripes on them. But anyway, they all had that total mall hair, and they were blocking my view of Warren DeMartini! How can I play air guitar when I can't see what Warren's playing? Right!

So I climbed up on the back of my seat for a better view, and I guess I was rockin' out a little bit too much, cause I slipped and fell onto the stairs. And once I was rolling down the stairs, there was pretty much no stopping. I cut up my face and knocked out all six of my teeth. And then on top of it all, the bouncers grabbed me and kicked me out, right when they were about to play "Round and Round!"

Anyway, that's the worst concert I ever went to.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

So there I was, a flight of stairs, when this kid with a sandwich....

Oh, never mind.

Joe

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well two occasions spring to mind.

Donnington Monsters of Rock 1988, great actual concert, but two people were crushed to death during GnR's set which put a dampener on the whole thing.

Most recently I saw a Led Zep cover band, called Whole Lotta Led or something. They were competent musicians, but obviously loved all of the obscure album tracks, so that is what they played. So I only got to hear a couple of "classics" in the encore. Made for quite a dull gig. I thought out of the 27 or so tracks on the remastered Led Zep album that I might get a few I liked, but no.

Never really been to an exceptionally bad gig, but this was one of the dullest.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Wheresgeorge04
    So there I was, a flight of stairs, when this kid with a sandwich....

Oh, never mind.

Joe
    *tilts beer glass slightly in your direction in silent salute* :wink:
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My worst concert experience was about five years ago, and did not feature a single band anyone has every heard of. Even the bandmembers themselves would likely have a hard time remembering what they called themselves.

My wife and I went because the president of my company was performing with his new band (he was guitarist in a hair metal band back in the early '80s, and actually released several albums.), and had given everyone in the office free passes. It was at a tiny place in Shibuya called The Crocodile Club, and there were five or six other bands performing that night.

When we got there, the very cramped quarters were packed with 40/50-something Japanese guys decked out in skimpy leather, full-body tattoos and greased hair. Fortunately, they all seemed to have invited their 20-something daughters, nieces and secretaries, who were similarly decked out in skimpy leather and tattoos. So that was fun to watch.

The problem was that this venue was barely 15 meters from the stage to the back wall, with a ceiling low enough that I was ducking light fixtures, yet they had enough amps piled up to supply a stadium, and they were all turned up to 12. three-fourths of the songs were just non-stop screams of feedback. When we left, neither of us could hear anything, and I was still iffy the next day. Even two years later, I would hear a kind of static effect when someone around me hit a high note. What stuck with me most from that show was the sight of one rather muscular guy holding his 3-year-old son on his shoulders (also with leather and greased hair. No tattoos that I saw) during this audio assault. I wonder if the poor kid ever recovered.

Of course, in between acts two hot chicks got up on stage, stripped naked, and put on a live lesbian sex show, so at least there was that.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by sublight
    Of course, in between acts two hot chicks got up on stage, stripped naked, and put on a live lesbian sex show, so at least there was that.
    I'm sorry.... I'm not understanding what the problem is?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Back in the late 80s I saw Night Ranger. It was the second show on their tour that summer, and it was obvious they could have used a few more rehearsals. They were almost, but not quite, in tune, they guy operating the soundboard was apparently deaf, and they might have all been drunk considering the way they were stumbling around on stage. The one redeeming thing was that the band at least realized how horrible the performance was. At one point one of them actually apologized to the crowd for the numerous mistakes, telling us "these are technically known as fuck-ups".

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by tunaman
    Quote Originally posted by sublight
    I'm sorry.... I'm not understanding what the problem is?

Yeah, if that had happened at my worst concert experience, it would now be my best concert experience.

I gotta go to Japan some day. If it's only a quarter as weird as I imagine, it's gotta be awesome.

+ Reply to thread