+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is the difference between a bloody mary and a cesar?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What is the difference between a bloody mary and a cesar?

Is it the clamato? Is it just the Canadian-ness of it? I can't seem to really tell a great deal of difference between the two cocktails.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: What is the difference between a bloody mary and a cesar?

Essentially the clamato, but, IIRC, there are those who claim a proper caesar needs horseradish. Basically, though, it's a way of doing a quick check as to whether you're in a Canadian or American bar when you're feeling disoriented.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wow, I can get down with the best of them and never once have I fogotten if I was in one country or another.

I'm going to try to make a cesar this weekend. Micheladas too.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

A proper Bloody Mary needs horseradish. A Bloody Caesar is an affront to all that is Hly and Decent and Proper, because it has as an ingredient that Eternally Damned Liquid That The Righteous Speak Not Of.

Plus, it's Canadian.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, but so is Crown Royal so they get a pass in the beverage department.

I've never had clamato before, so I hope it's not fishy and weird. It's always seemed to me to be one of those products that you see at the store and think "That can't possibly be why they call it that." and then you find out that some horrible person was sipping on some V8 one day and said to themselves "Self, you know what this needs? Clam juice" and then made it happen. Because that is insane. Nothing, not even clams, needs clam juice.

Hopefully it's passible, like the time I ran low on bloody mix and substituted cocktail sauce.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun

I've never had clamato before, so I hope it's not fishy and weird. It's always seemed to me to be one of those products that you see at the store and think "That can't possibly be why they call it that." and then you find out that some horrible person was sipping on some V8 one day and said to themselves "Self, you know what this needs? Clam juice" and then made it happen. Because that is insane. Nothing, not even clams, needs clam juice.

Hopefully it's passible, like the time I ran low on bloody mix and substituted cocktail sauce.
    Clamato is fishy and weird by definition, dude. It's clam juice and tomato juice mixed together, fer crissakes.

Registered
    Feb 2009

No amount of horseradish can save you from clam juice. Run away!
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Silenus, as much as I respect him, is dead wrong on his Clamato hate. The ONLY thing that clamato is good for is a Bloody Mary/Ceasar but it is damn good in said drink. Particularly if you make the drink extra spicy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Shit. I was kind of rooting for the escargot kind of "there's so much other stuff in there that you can't really taste the disgustingness". I can't really handle much in the way of fishy taste, it makes my throat feel all tight and weird.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Shit. I was kind of rooting for the escargot kind of "there's so much other stuff in there that you can't really taste the disgustingness". I can't really handle much in the way of fishy taste, it makes my throat feel all tight and weird.

Don't listen to them. It just gives the drink a richer flavor, it isn't fishy tasting if it is made well.

Sheesh, way to scare the guy off a perfectly good breakfast beverage guys.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Clamato juice is definitely not fishy tasting!

When you're finished your Caesar, try a big a splash in your beer.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Registered
    Feb 2009

I can't stand anything fishy tasting, and I love a good caesar. If you don't rim the glass with lime juice and celery salt, just forget it. The rimming is as important as the drink in the glass with caesars.

And you all need to get your minds out of the gutter.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, if that's the case, maybe you need to take a big ol' syringe of adrenaline so you can give yourself a shot directly in the heart if anaphylactic shock sets in.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm not allergic to seafood in any way shape or form, it's very temporary and only related to the fishy flavor some things have.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    A proper Bloody Mary needs horseradish. A Bloody Caesar is an affront to all that is Hly and Decent and Proper, because it has as an ingredient that Eternally Damned Liquid That The Righteous Speak Not Of.

Plus, it's Canadian.
    I was at a DopeFest a while back, and one of those looney Canadians mixed Clamato and beer. :shudder: It was hideous.

On the subject of rimming, when my BIL makes Bloody Marys, he rims the glass with lime juice and Old Bay seasoning.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by criminey.jicket

You lost me here criminey. Sorry, as far as I am concerned the only drink Clamato belongs in is the Bloody Mary (cesar, whatever).

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Beer with clamato juice is considered brunch by my husband.

Personally, it takes a blazing hot day for me to want a few gulps of beer.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've had beer with clamato, and it was different. Not pukey, just not the normal fare. When I make a Bloody Mary, I use V-8, and toss lots of other seasonings in, too. A bit of garlic powder, some ground black pepper, a dash of celery salt, a shake or two of Worcestershire sauce, and an shake or two of Tabasco. I've garnished with a celery stalk or a green onion.

Clamato itself, goes nicely with vodka. Clamato from the fridge, and vodka from the freezer means you need not adulterate with ice.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

Bloody Marys are great. Caesars are freakin' awesome! A much richer flavor. Huge Caesar fan here.
    [not a Canadian]

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138

You lost me here criminey. Sorry, as far as I am concerned the only drink Clamato belongs in is the Bloody Mary (cesar, whatever).
    I've only had Clamato with beer, and, for me at any rate, it's an addictive summer drink. It's called a michelada. I use Clamato, Valentina hot sauce, Pacifico or Modelo, lime, and a dash of Worcestershire. It sounds disgusting at first, but if you like savory alcoholic drinks like a bloody mary, you should like this one.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by pulykamell

I've only had Clamato with beer, and, for me at any rate, it's an addictive summer drink. It's called a michelada. I use Clamato, Valentina hot sauce, Pacifico or Modelo, lime, and a dash of Worcestershire. It sounds disgusting at first, but if you like savory alcoholic drinks like a bloody mary, you should like this one.

hmmm. Ok, I am curious enough to give it a shot.

Ok, when it gets a bit warmer (probably this weekend) I will get myself some Pacifico and Clamato and make the above drink and report back.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ok, when it gets a bit warmer (probably this weekend) I will get myself some Pacifico and Clamato and make the above drink and report back.
    Good luck. Actually, it seems Tecate is the usual beer of choice for this, but I use the ones above as I'm more likely to have them around the house. I usually just start 1:1 beer:clamato (plus the rest of the ingredients) and then top off with the leftover beer as I progress through the drink. I think about 2:1 beer:clamato is the ideal point, but I like the changing ratio as I go along.

edit: If you scroll down to Adjudicator's post here, you'll find a rather lively discussion about michelada recipes.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Good luck. Actually, it seems Tecate is the usual beer of choice for this, but I use the ones above as I'm more likely to have them around the house. I usually just start 1:1 beer:clamato (plus the rest of the ingredients) and then top off with the leftover beer as I progress through the drink. I think about 2:1 beer:clamato is the ideal point, but I like the changing ratio as I go along.

edit: If you scroll down to Adjudicator's post here, you'll find a rather lively discussion about michelada recipes.

Thanks for the link. There is a whole world of beer drinking that I have been missing out on, who knew? :smile:

Ordinarily I would give it a shot with Tecate, but I am not going to buy a beer that I won't drink on it's own for the experiment. If I find I like it I might get some Tecate to give it a shot, but I like both Modelo espcial (I am assuming that Negro would be...bad) and Pacifico well enough to give it a shot with one of them.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ok, I am curious enough to give it a shot.
    I'll never be that curious. Or that warm. Why anyone would ruin good (or not so good) beer that way is beyond my ken. The only thing that should ever be added to a beer post-production is a shot of syrup in a Berliner Weiss, or just a shot dropped into a boilermaker. Bivalve juice is nowhere in the equation.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'll never be that curious. Or that warm. Why anyone would ruin good (or not so good) beer that way is beyond my ken. The only thing that should ever be added to a beer post-production is a shot of syrup in a Berliner Weiss, or just a shot dropped into a boilermaker. Bivalve juice is nowhere in the equation.
    Thanks, buddy. I think we're all pretty glad you shared that with us.

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The thing that's always bothered me about clam juice is that it is clam... juice.

It's not like we are talking about a grape or a lemon here. This is definately a member of the animal family, it is made out of meat and thus one would assume unjuiceable.

If it is clam broth, brought about by boiling clams, then why not call it that?

If it is a secretion of some type from the clam, then why not call it that?

Calling it juice makes me think of bare footed frenchmen stomping about in a large vat of slippery clam meat trying hard not to fall off of the podium and do a lot of cussing.

In French.

No, this is not something to be ingested, especially mixed with tomato juice. However a nice Bloody Mary rimmed with Lawreys Seasoned Salt and well spiked with Tabasco brand hot sauce and plenty of lime juice will certainly make the day go smoother.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Thanks, buddy. I think we're all pretty glad you shared that with us.
    No problem. I live to serve.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Why ruin any alcohol by cutting it with a mixer? Why ruin a good beer or wine by dumping it in a pot of stew? Why not? Variety is the spice of life. It's not like we're taking Sierra Nevada here--just a light, pilsnery beer. We're making a lower alcohol, more refreshing, bubblier version of a Bloody Mary. (And that woodruff syrup with the Berliner Weisse... now that I don't understand. The Berliner Weisse is an intereting sour beer on its own. With the sryup, it just tastes like a weird medicinal soda.)

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dangerously Unqualified
    The thing that's always bothered me about clam juice is that it is clam... juice.
    Yeah, seriously, what is it? All I see on the internet is "the strained liquid of shucked clams".

Now, I can't imagine wanting to drink either of these drinks, but I'm looking on in horror at clam-tomato juice.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=Vox Imperatoris]
    Quote Originally posted by "Dangerously Unqualified":3eid15h7
    Yeah, seriously, what is it? All I see on the internet is "the strained liquid of shucked clams".

Now, I can't imagine wanting to drink either of these drinks, but I'm looking on in horror at clam-tomato juice.[/quote:3eid15h7]

The clam part of Clamato is not terribly "clammy" in taste. It's more like something like fish sauce or anchovies, which both naturally contain a lot of umami (as do tomatoes), so it kind of gives the tomatoes a more intense, somewhat more substantial flavor. Slightly briny, I suppose. A lot of people who think they don't like anchovies or fish sauce are surprised what happens to a tomato sauce when you mash and fry an anchovy filet or two into it. Or that one of the distinctive flavors in much Thai cooking is fish sauce, not soy.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Homer Simpson: Now, what do you have to wash that awful taste out of my mouth?

Khlav Kalash Vendor: Mountain Dew or Crab Juice.

Homer Simpson: Blecch! Ew! Sheesh! I'll take a crab juice.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Anchovies and fish sauce I can get behind. Both add all sorts of flavors and depth to foods. But I really don't like seafood of any sort all that much, and clams are way down on the list of the ones I do eat.

Oh, well. Everybody has their perversions.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Don't get me wrong, I love fish sauce.

A small Vietnamese place south of here serves a sushi-like roll of cooked salmon, cucumbers and avacado with a little lemon grass, rolled up in rice then rolled up in seaweed and sliced. There was a small bowl of fish sauce and a small plate with some ginger, some wasabi and some shrimp paste. All of which was wonderful.

And anchovies? Thinly slivered with some nice salty goat cheese? Perhaps a little red caviar? C'est Bon.

I've had clamato.

Shit's nasty.

Registered
    Mar 2009

The clam part of Clamato is not terribly "clammy" in taste. It's more like something like fish sauce or anchovies, which both naturally contain a lot of umami (as do tomatoes), so it kind of gives the tomatoes a more intense, somewhat more substantial flavor. Slightly briny, I suppose. A lot of people who think they don't like anchovies or fish sauce are surprised what happens to a tomato sauce when you mash and fry an anchovy filet or two into it. Or that one of the distinctive flavors in much Thai cooking is fish sauce, not soy.
    No, not "what does it taste like". What is it actually made of? Not clam blood, I would think. What is the "liquid"?
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Vox, ze Wiki says Clamato is made of reconstituted tomato juice from concentrate and reconstituted dried clam broth, plus HFCS, red dye #40 and MSG.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Vox, ze Wiki says Clamato is made of reconstituted tomato juice from concentrate and reconstituted dried clam broth, plus HFCS, red dye #40 and MSG.
    I meant clam juice itself, not the mixture. But clam "broth" implies that it is just water flavored by simmering clam meat in it. Is that right? Because "juicing" a clam seems to indicate otherwise.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm going to agree that it is wrong to talk about any kind of animal juice. Pig juice, cat juice, whatever. Not cool.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You people seem to be getting stuck on the "clam" part of the caesar - can you take my word for it that a caesar doesn't taste fishy in the slightest, and most people who drink caesars (which is an extremely common drink in Canada) don't give a first thought, much less a second to the clamato juice? As far as we're concerned, it's Magic Ingredient Number One that you need to make caesars.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    You people seem to be getting stuck on the "clam" part of the caesar - can you take my word for it that a caesar doesn't taste fishy in the slightest, and most people who drink caesars (which is an extremely common drink in Canada) don't give a first thought, much less a second to the clamato juice? As far as we're concerned, it's Magic Ingredient Number One that you need to make caesars.
    This, of course, explains a lot.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's a catch-22 - you have to drink a lot of caesars so you don't care about what's in caesars.

FTR, I'm Canadian and Clamato squicks me out. Also, Caesars. It's like a cold soup with liquor. Yes! Borscht & vodka!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't forget the celery stick.

Registered
    May 2009

And the worcestershire sauce!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

A live crawdaddy could get your drink interesting. That way, you're marinating him, too.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

I need to kill this thread. So here I go;

8 Parts Tomato juice (or Clamato, if preferred, you goddammned freak)
    3 parts Vodka
    1 Dash Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
    1 Teasp. Grey Poupon
    Cubed ice

Mix all ingredients and shake in cocktail shaker. Strain into tall chilled glass. Serve with an unwrapped tampon in the drink.

This drink is known as a "C*nt Pump". The best one I ever had (tomato, not that clamato oddness) was in a bar called Mombassa Bay in Ft. Lauderdale. It's since closed down for some reason. I'm sure it has nothing to do with me finding a pube in my drink.
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Registered
    Feb 2009

A proper Bloody Mary, for those who have taste buds and some small degree of style:

5 oz. V-8 juice
    2 oz. vodka
    3 dashes pepper sauce
    3 dashes Worchestershire sauce
    1/4 tsp. grated horseradish
    2 grinds fresh black pepper
    1 dash seasoned salt
    1 squeeze lime juice

Pour over ice. Serve with a celery stalk. (Alternate: Serve with 2 olives on a pick instead of the celery. Then it's a Bloody Charlie.)
    "The Turtle Moves!"

+ Reply to thread