+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help me name a female faun character

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Help me name a female faun character

I'm working on a fanttasy short story set in a alternate world peopled by mythological and legendary creatures rather than humans. Part of my conceit for the story is that, though it's impossible to communicate in a systematic away between the fantasy world and Earth, there is nevertheless a pre-conscious connection between the two worlds that pops up in dreams, culture, and language. In other words, Carroll may have had dreams of this world from which Wonderland were based, and a Kentauride novelist there might write an epic fantasy (from her POV) about a terribly destructive war that ends with a mushroom cloud. There's a city in this world named Agora, which literally translates as "the marketplaces" in their language; obviously this is akin to the greek agora.

I am trying to name a major character who is a female faun. I want her name to be (phonetically) reminiscent of something having to do with fauns, satyrs, Dionoysus, or goats; the name can come from English or another human language. I don't want the name to begin with A, because I have another female faun character (mother to the first) named Amalthea, after the goat who suckled Zeus. I also don't want the name to begin with M or F. I do want the name to be euphonious. Right now I'm calling her "Klaudin," which is a reference to the French sculptor who created this . But I don't care for that name especially.; it seems to masculine.

Thoughts, anyone?
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Help me name a female faun character

What occurs to me immediately is "Capra", which has a feminine sound to it. The allusion might be too obvious for what you're going for, though. A more subtle name might be Maena.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

K'id
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

SHÊP
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Laam

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    What occurs to me immediately is "Capra", which has a feminine sound to it. The allusion might be too obvious for what you're going for, though. A more subtle name might be Maena.

I was using a variation of Meana (you're referring to the Maenads, no?) and discarded it because, though it's euphonious and feminine, I have another major character whose name begins with M and I don't want to have two such, nor do I wish to change the other characters name.

Hmm... Capra. Somehow I hadn't thought of that. it does sound feminine and is reasonably pleasing to the ear, but it too obviously means "goat." I'll put that down as a "maybe."

I've been combing my Greek mythology references, as I was considering using the name of a Maenad (followers of Dionysus, who was closely associated with satyrs), but every one I've come across is someone who does something horrible as a result of being cursed by the youthful wine-god. I'd almost forgotten what a shit he was.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fatty Knuckles.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Fatty Knuckles.
    FTW

All I can think of is Dionae.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by criminey.jicket
    Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Fatty Knuckles.
    FTW

All I can think of is Dionae.

from Dione? Why?

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No, just trying a feminization of Dionysius.

I was actually trying to think of something related to the cross-world dreaming. Still thinking!

[ETA: Nevermind. Good as is.]
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fauntasia.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Feb 2009

What's the character like? If she's a novelist, how do you feel about Clio?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Semele?

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe something like Sibylline, from "prophetic"

Cluricaun, I'm sorry but you didn't misplace your trophy; OneCent has stolen it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual
    Semele?
    Hmm.That one's so obvious that I don't know why I didn't think of it. I'm placing it in the "Kapra" file.

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    What's the character like? If she's a novelist, how do you feel about Clio?
    She's a deckie on a merchant ship.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You could also try something like Oinia or Oinopa, but I don't know how euphonious that really is. "Symposia" is too recognizable, I think.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If she's a sailor, "Oinopa" might be apt. (It means 'wine-dark' and is one of Homer's favored epithets for the sea in The Odyssey.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

If she's a sailor, "Oinopa" might be apt. (It means 'wine-dark' and is one of Homer's favored epithets for the sea in The Odyssey.)
    Yeah, I know.

Fauns aren't routinely sailors in this universe, because they aren't routinely anything; the races don't have Trek-style monolithic cultures. The character once known as Maena is the daughter of a soldier and granddaughter of a doctor. The fauns' nation is inland, though, so I'm not sure that words like "wine-dark" would naturally be a part of their language.

But Semele works. Another part of my conceit is that the fauns basically worship Dionysus (but not the rest of the Greek pantheon), so "Semele" is likely as common to them as "Mary" is to us.

Registered
    Feb 2009

He's already shot down my suggestions, which I won't repeat to keep this SFW.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Muttonelle?

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by SilverTygerGirl
    He's already shot down my suggestions, which I won't repeat to keep this SFW.
    :: snorting ::

The first two syllables of her suggestions rhyme with "weenus." The third is homophonous with "file." The s'katster has a dirty mind, which is why I love her best.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I told him all the fauns should have dirty names (I suggested Priapus for a guy to give you an indication), with nicknames that everybody used. He shot it down saying he wasn't 12. Admittedly sexual names are actually more suited to satyrs than fauns, but if I recall correctly there are no female satyrs, so I'll take what I can get. I still think it's a good idea.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Mar 2009

So, what gives?

Is there a name? You went with Muttonelle, didn't you? Score!

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf
    So, what gives?

Is there a name? You went with Muttonelle, didn't you? Score!
    Semele, actually, with a minor variation.

Registered
    Mar 2009

This is very disappointing.

-Jim Rockford

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer
    Yeah, I know.
    Sorry! Useless, Classics-related geekoid rambling sometimes leaves my fingers before I realize I've typed it.

But yay for Semele! I feel faintly useful!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Skald the Rhymer
    Yeah, I know.
    Sorry! Useless, Classics-related geekoid rambling sometimes leaves my fingers before I realize I've typed it.

But yay for Semele! I feel faintly useful!

Very useful. It so exactly fit the criteria I mentioned in the OP that I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself. Moreover, as I mentioned above, it's just the sort of name that would be common in a society of sentients who worship Dionysus as Xtians worship Jesus.

+ Reply to thread