+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Sherwoodshire roleplaying

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/q0e2ICSkJ6

Walker still fails to hit, but manages a quick look at the combat alongside him. ‘Saradoc’ looks exactly like the real thing (and ‘Saradoc’s injured opponent clearly is utterly focused on the fight.)
    The trooper’s thrust back also misses.

‘Saradoc’ again fails twice to beat the trooper’s defence.
    The trooper misses too and calls out “Come on lads – we’ll be here all day!”

Marron looks disappointed as none of his blows strike and his Spirit Hammer spell expires (the weapon simply disappears.)
    His opponent cannot land a blow either.

Walker finally does 11 damage (and his opponent gasps “I’m in the Doralis club!”)
    The trooper misses.

‘Saradoc’ finishes off his trooper by doing 10 damage.

Marron hits with one Club for 9 damage but misses with the second Club.
    The trooper doesn’t hit back.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn is doing her best to ignore the fact that a man just died--an evil man, according to the others, a dangerous man who was going to attack a harmless (and drunk) hobbit barely half his size. But a person nonetheless. And her fake Saradoc finishes another, surprisingly.

Not easy to maintain concentration with such things going on, but she focuses on Marron's trooper now that he's lost his Spirit Club.

"Give up, varlet!" she has 'Saradoc' snarl as the phantom aims for this soldier's lower regions.*"Your leader and comrades are being easily felled. Surrender and you'll find mercy in gaol." (An idea that Aislinn has no knowledge of being true, but she certainly hopes it won't prove to be a lie.)

* Knees! Ankles! Get your mind out of the gutter! Although if necessary, those other bits will be fair game too.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Marron’s trooper spits back at ‘Saradoc’ “We of the Empire never surrender – to the death!”

Walker finishes off his opponent by doing 11 damage.

‘Saradoc’ strikes for 12 damage, slaying the next trooper.
    Marron winks and says “Thanks matey!” to the Illusion.

The last trooper turns round and with a resigned shrug comes towards the party.

DM: Marron makes an Alertness roll.

Marron realises that the trooper is simply irritated at having to kill the party himself. He calls out "Fight on - he's going to fight to the death!"

Realising that the others would prefer a captive, Marron strikes to subdue with both his clubs.
    Marron hits with both clubs, doing 9 and 7 damage.

(Although this equates to only 4 real damage the injured trooper still expires.)

The area goes quiet, then gradually the normal forest noises return.

Marron checks nobody else is injured, then casts a Cure Light on himself and is fully cured. (The spell could have cured for as much as 12 hp!)

The party have defeated a fully equipped Empire Patrol (one Sergeant + four troopers) and also have a trussed live sheep in a large wheelbarrow.
    Last edited by glee; 20 May 2023 at 07:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Once "Saradoc" finished off a second soldier, Aislinn exhales and sees the other two have been killed as well. Which only leaves the badly injured man, who until a moment ago was leaning/sitting against the edge of the borrow. When he turns, Aislinn spots Marron moving to meet him.

She jerks forward and reaches out, hoping to get "Saradoc" to make some difference, but of course he doesn't and even if he could, before he gets the chance, Aislinn loses her balance and clunks out of the tree onto the ground with a whumpf. With the wind knocked out of her, she takes a second to recover and straighten. By that time her concentration has long vanished, and there's no "Saradoc" anymore.

Aislinn clambers painfully to her feet and calls out "Wait!" but... the last soldier is dead, felled swiftly by Marron's excellent blow.

Aghast, the girl holds her achy stomach muscles and staggers towards the others. By the time she's met them she's recovered. "Why? Why kill all of them?" She looks from Walker to Marron, then the dead men at their feet. The design and colors of their Empire insignia make her ill, but no more so than the existence of their corpses.

"Couldn't we have captured him?" she adds plaintively, pointing at that last badly injured trooper. "Knocked him unconscious, tied him up... anything that left him alive? Aside from it being... unseemly to kill one man at a disadvantage... we could've asked him what their plans were. Why they diverged from their regular patrols. Why they took the sheep."

Aislinn moves away to the wheelbarrow, touching the small animal's fleecy softness and already tugging at the rope that binds its legs. "I'm glad you're both all right," she adds, somewhat belatedly, and she flushes at having forgotten to congratulate them on surviving. "Very glad. As for these fellows... I know Empire men cannot be trusted. I know they might not've answered any questions. Still... we could have shown mercy. They may not know the meaning of the word. But we do. We have standards. Vows." Her face lifts so she can stare up at Marron and Walker. "Don't we?"
    Last edited by choie; 20 May 2023 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Gave Marron credit for the killing blow!

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker sighs heavily and his shoulder slump slightly, partly out of weariness after swinging that staff in a heated combat, but also with regret as he turns to Aislinn,

"He wasn't going to surrender. I'm sorry. We offered him the chance, but he was still all for 'Fight to the death!'... even though it must have been obvious that it was pointless. They all heard your 'Saradoc''s plea and they just.... wouldn't yield. I too hate seeing this unnecessary death."

Trying to be slightly jovial amongst all of this, "Well, in our favour, at least we didn't kill the sheep, hah!"

"Your illusion was ... incredible. It honestly turned the battle in our favour, and he fought just like Saradoc himself would have... possibly landing more blows than I think I saw the real Saradoc dish out in our previous battle, hah! It truly is an impressive and, I will admit, an intimidating ability."

Walker looks a little uncomfortable as now, after the action is over, his mind replays what he had witnessed. The man - no, not a man, a mere illusion of a man, doing so much damage yet taking none him- no, Itself, is truly a scary concept to him. And the battle moves he used... just as the real Saradoc would use. Though obviously entirely grateful for the help in the fight, he cannot help but be wary of this strange magic.

"Ok, so. We have a sheep. And some dead people. Do you think we should possibly untie the sheep and put it on a leash, then put the bodies onto the cart so that we can take all of these back to Farmer Giles' farm? They may be Empire, but there were still human beings and deserve respectful treatment in death. I could use the rope binding the sheep to make a leash so that we can lead it back to the farm, and I'm sure we could manage to fit the bodies on the cart and maybe two of us could manage to lift and push it along, with another being - hah - the shepherd. Thoughts? I don't want to leave them here or out in the woods. As bad as they may have been, any person still deserves more than that."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn just nods, still unsettled. "Thank you," she murmurs, again late with showing courtesy after Walker's compliment of the illusion. She couldn't see it up close, of course, but it's good to hear it was helpful and credible. "I wasn't sure it would work. I can't fathom how my imagination can actually cause physical damage, but... I suppose that's what magic is. Unfathomable."

Part of her dismay, aside from the general repugnance of ending lives, is the rigidity of the others' beliefs. It's the law, she knows. They'll receive no punishment for killing these men. To the contrary, the party will probably receive some boon. And Aislinn has no love for the Empire, to say the least.

But what if they learn of bad things I've done? Will I be allowed to explain? What if I can't remember the explanations? Will I escape the axe or arrows of the righteous even if I do?

She rubs her forehead, hoping to stave off the headache that's likely not far off. The creation of the false Saradoc was a strain--well, not so much its creation as maintaining its presence. If she can't even concentrate on her time as a captive without great pain, Aislinn assumes the work in performing a believable version of a living being will be equally likely to make her suffer.

"Yes," she says with a soft exhale, stroking the animal's head. "Let's tie up the sheep and take it back to Farmer Maggot. Maybe let it feed on some grass for a while. And I agree we must deal with the bodies, as well." Reluctantly she looks at the slain soldiers. "Perhaps... perhaps we should search them. Maybe there's some document or map or anything to explain where they're from, or what their plans were."

Registered
    Dec 2022

Hoping that Marron will help with shifting the bodies, Walker first unties the sheep, asking Aislinn to hold it down while he tries to tie the rope around its neck, then letting it stand up and (hopefully) hop down from the cart if it is conscious and able to do so, so that the cart is clear and the bodies can be moved to it. Once the sheep is on the leash, Walker would stand by and hold it to watch if the others loot the corpses as they are moved. He knows there might be information there but isn't comfortable rifling through the bodies of people who he just helped to kill. They were bad men. They killed people. They were going to kill more at Farmer Giles' farm, for sure. But also they probably have families. And children. Waiting for them to come home. I hate this.
    He would help with lifting the bodies onto the cart if someone else steps in to hold the sheep, otherwise Walker wants no part in looting the bodies.

[DM note: if the sheep isn't conscious, he would prioritise sort of rolling it off the cart and tying it by the leash to a tree, and coming back for it later.]
    Last edited by ping; 20 May 2023 at 03:44 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn would much rather hold a small sheep to her bosom than rifle through the belongings of the men they've slain, but she's also aware that she's had the luxury of keeping a great distance from the pain, blood and fear her companions endured. Walker doesn't seem very keen on dealing with the corpses, and Marron... Marron may need to do some sort of prayer or ritual or whatever clerics do to thank their Creator for granting them the strength to kill their foes, and so on and so on.

So Aislinn steps away from the lamb, giving its head a final scritch, and kneels down to the nearest soldier. "I'll take care of it," she murmurs. "I'm a fair hand at pick--searching." Muscle memory takes over and her nimble fingers find the appropriate places where this first man (and any others she has a chance to search) might have some useful information or items.

"If there's any coins to be found," she says firmly to the others--and just as much to herself, really, to guard against any temptation--"we ought to give them to the shepherd's family, if he has some. And to Farmer Maggot for any damage."

She scowls. "Maggot," she repeats under her breath. "What a horrid name for a farmer. I'd not find any of his crops very appetizing." The comment is more to keep herself preoccupied from the grim, vulturelike behavior she's undertaking. Thinking of birds makes her gaze dart up at the sky. "Is Eye still there, Master Walker? The road is clear of any others who might be approaching?"

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker quite gratefully takes the leash and holds the sheep while trying to hide his distaste at his companion looking through the pockets of the men they've just killed, mainly by petting the sheep and checking for injuries on it. If there is extra man (or woman!)-power needed to move the bodies onto the cart he would tie the leash to the cart and help as respectfully as possible.

Flicking his eyes upwards briefly he gets a view of the road ahead and behind from Eye.......
    Last edited by ping; 20 May 2023 at 03:46 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Marron solves the problem of the sheep by casting Speak to Animal and reassuring the creature that it will be returned safely to its flock.

Eye confirms that there is no activity along the forest path.

Marron adds "Sorry I did so much damage to the last opponent - but he wasn't going to surrender. I agree that although they show no mercy, we should set an example by doing so."

He pauses then continues "We're only a few minutes from Giles' farm. One of us can run there and bring back farmhands with spades so we can bury the bodies decently. I will say a few appropriate words over them if you like"

DM: Marron makes an Alertness roll.

He realises his companions are not keen on 'looting' the patrol, but gives a sigh and states "I think we must consider taking their equipment (weapons and armour) and compensating any families of slain shepherds. It's all top-quality. In fact, there might be something magical - Aislinn, can you check for that?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn pauses with her hand still in the general's purse. "I will run back to the farm," she offers, sitting back on her heels. "You have both exerted yourselves enough. Taking an overall look at the four soldiers, she lifts a hand in an attempt to Detect Magic as Marron requested. Their swords must have value, she thinks objectively, regardless of any magic attached to them.

Registered
    Dec 2022

After she trie
    s to detect magic Walker pauses Aislinn for a moment, saying, "We can travel together back to the farm, it's only 5 minutes, and Farmer Maggot is there anyway so I can pull - heh, hopefully! - this sheep along with us to deliver it to him. Marron here seems to be able to get whatever gear is of use onto the cart, perhaps. Sorry, it isn't a job for me. It is one thing to take a dragon's scales and something entirely different to take a man's clothes. A sheep, however, I can happily return to its owner, hah!"

After Aislinn's detect magic, Walker would aim to head back with Aislinn to Farmer Giles' farm with sheep in tow, as fast as he can make the sheep go.... though he is aware that he might get left behind by Aislinn!
    Last edited by ping; 24 May 2023 at 04:04 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

DM: Aislinn casts Detect Magic.

The Sergeant has two magical items: Chain and Sword. (Everything else is normal, but of top quality - as Aislinn thought, it will be well worth taking.)

DM: Marron casts Identify and announces that both magical items are (+1) and therefore worth a lot. He comments "We could add these two items to the Dragon's Hide already sent to the Keep. I'm sure Count Percival would reward us with items that we could make full use of."

Marron is quite happy to stay at the battlefield. He promises the others he will respectfully prepare the Patrol bodies for burial and stack their armour and weapons on the cart.
    He adds "Bring back a few farmhands with spades. Also the sheep understands it should follow you and it will be returned to Maggot's farm."

Aislinn, Walker and the sheep are able to hurry back to Giles' farm (the sheep seems happy to consider the two characters as part of the flock!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

When Aislinn, Walker and the sheep arrive at the farm, they are greeted as heroes!

Farmer Giles is very grateful as his farm has been saved and Farmer Maggot states the Patrol got what they deserved. (Maggot also takes charge of his sheep...)

Giles quickly rounds up a few sturdy farmhands with spades and offers to return with Aislinn and Walker to help Marron.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker accepts the gratitude from Giles and Maggot but is clearly more bothered about the corpses on the trail. He is sure that Marron will be getting them off the path so that some casual merchant or visitor won't be traumatised by the sight of the dead bodies, but still, the whole thing is sitting uncomfortably with him and though he's not a particularly religious fellow, he really does not like the idea of their bodies being left and so is grateful as well for Farmer Giles' offer of farm hands to help.

As they head out [awaiting Aislinn input of course], he would say to Aislinn,

"Did you find anything on the bodies that might identify them? Sorry I didn't..... I didn't help with that. Sorry. I just find.... yes well, sorry. I had a sheep to deal with, hah! Um. So, yes, did you find any identity tags, official documents, or even personal details that they were carrying? I mean, partly because we need to report this back to the Keep if we can get their identities, but also..... I don't know...... sorry again. I just feel that if there was some way to get news back to their families.... " [he trails off, clearly just not happy about this, his role mainly being dealing with troublesome beasts, not killing people with potential families and whole lives]

Registered
    Mar 2012

OOC: Walker asked a good question there. Do these soldiers have anything identifying them, if not by name or family then maybe regiment or whatever the larger group would be called? The name of their captain or whatever? Actually... I'll have her check for them when we return--I can get around her not knowing yet in-character.

Walking back to the scene of the battle, Aislinn hears Walker's questions and notes his discomfort. She feels sympathy and a little embarrassment. "I didn't look for anything personal. I didn't even really search them, to be honest. I just did that 'Detect Magic' spell and those items--the sword and chain--suddenly sort of looked different. I'll do a more thorough search when we get back."

She gazes at the ground rather than look at her companion. "I hate that we have to kill anyone," she says quietly. "Especially if there's any way to just... capture them. If I could've had that phantom Saradoc just knock them out, I would have. But I don't think they were going to stop. They are brutal."

After a slight pause, she shakes her head and finally looks back up at Walker. "You fought with honor," she blurts. "I hope you're not questioning your own part. If I'd had to be right in front of them, the way you were... I don't know what I would do. I'm afraid I'd freeze. Your regret does you credit, but you did what was necessary."

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker nods as they head back along the path,

"You did a fantastic job keeping your concentration up on your 'Saradoc' there, and just.... yes. I was questioning every movement I made and regret every blow, but knew that they were bad people, probably. I .... probably. Yes. Anyway, just to say that nothing I did was brave or honorable. You were as close to the battle as we were - don't belittle your involvement - and it really truly was an impressive illusion. Thank you, again. Yes, of course, sorry again, I am just not usually in the business of killing people, and I always get to thinking about who they might hav.... no, sorry. It is different when it's an evil rampant beast, but even then I always have that thought that it might have a family, hah! Sorry. Maybe that young dragon we encountered has a mother that is worried about it? Silly thoughts, I know. Though also concerning if its mother decided to come looking for us, hah! I wouldn't want to encounter her!

"Anyway, to the task in hand, as I said, what is done is done, and perhaps Marron will have found something to identify the bodies as he has been - hopefully - moving them off the path while we've been gone. You spell was very useful, perhaps we can look at these items in more detail.

"Also," [he gives a sideways glance to Aislinn as they walk] "are you ok? I know what... I know what these people might have meant to you."
    Last edited by ping; 26 May 2023 at 11:13 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

When Aislinn, Walker, Farmer Giles and the farmhands arrive back at the battle site, they see Marron has carefully laid out the bodies alongside the path.
    The Patrol's swords are stacked on the cart.

Marron asks for some help removing the armour and then burying the bodies and Giles nods in agreement (giving those instructions to his farmhands.)

Soon five graves have been dug and the bodies are duly buried. Marron says a few simple appropriate words.

The Patrol armour is placed alongside the weapons in the cart.

Giles points at the equipment and says "Well all that stuff is yours - and thank you for saving my farm from many casualties."

Marron turns to Aislinn and Walker and mutters "How about we just take the Sergeant's magic items and leave Giles the remaining armour and weapons? He can undoubtedly make some use of it and compensate Farmer Maggot for his loss."

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker helps out with the digging - not the removing of armour - and bows his head as Marron speaks over each body laid to rest, then as Marron mutters to us he just looks at Aislinn and gives a trademark shrug.

"You seemed to get a feeling from a couple of items? They all look the same to me."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Did Aislinn find anything re: their regiment or IDs or whatever when she checked, as mentioned was her intention earlier? They may be irredeemably evil but knowing who they were or who their superior is could come in handy.

Aislinn senses Walker's ambivalence won't make it easy for him to respond to Marron, or the decision to divide the spoils of the battle. "Yes, Master Marron," she says. "By all means let's give whatever we can to the farmer. The armor..." She doesn't want to look at it. "I prefer it out of our hands. The magic items can go to Count Percival. I don't think any of us has experience in swordsmanship to take advantage of whatever it does."

Which is a shame, she thinks, scowling slightly. Her knives are useful but after seeing this fight, she despairs of the idea that she'd be of any value in a physical confrontation, other than defending herself.

To Walker, she finally responds to his question. "I'm sorry I didn't answer before. Truth is, I don't know how to feel. I don't like killing. I mean, I hate that these men tried to kill you, and murdered the shepherd and his dog. Vile behavior deserves punishment. But..." She sighs. There was no choice. "Above all, I hate the--the coat of arms on their armor. It makes me sick. What it represents."

She lowers her voice. "I know there is a reason for it, but the fact that Count Percival has the Empire's crest up in his hall... I don't trust anyone who displays it. I understand what he intends by it. And he's good and an Arthurian and I know everyone finds him and his people trustworthy. But I can't. It's beyond logic. Beyond my control, even. I just can't." Aislinn looks up at Walker. "Please don't tell Marron. I will do my duty but not without qualms. I don't think he'd understand."

With a final shake of her head, she moves closer to Marron, though speaks to both of them. "Then let us to the Keep. We can get rid of these items. There may be danger in our having them. And we need rest. Well, you do. You fought hard this day."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Aislinn and Marron find no identification at all on the Patrol (apart from the Sergeant having a helmet plume and shoulder stripes.)
    It seems clear that there is a deliberate policy for the Patrol not carry anything personal.

DM: Aislinn remembers a conversation with Druid Kitty back in the Keep (post 119 of this threwad):

Kitty replies “Aislinn, I understand that a celebration indoors with many folk can be intimidating. I myself much prefer the outdoors with fresh air and friendly animals.
    However Count Percival is a fair ruler and I can do achieve a lot basing myself here at the Keep.

You ask about the symbol of the Empire. The Count is NOT allied to them!
    The shields on the wall simply denote our closest neighbours: the gnomes of Naugrimshire, the Ocean Barbarians, the Empire and the Druids of Tsarinan Forest.

To avoid conflict - since the Empire are part of the despicable Mordred Cabal - there is a diplomatic agreement between the five Powers not to fight.
    This sadly does not stop (for example) sneak attacks by Empire Patrols in the wilderness. If you encounter a Patrol, be ready!

Certainly nobody from the Empire will ever be allowed into this Keep.
    I hope this reassures you.”

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Patrol items are all of good quality, but Marron takes just the Sergeant's armour and sword, commenting "Thanks to Aislinn, we can trade these magic items in at the Keep - as Count Percival + Druid Kitty have offered in return to get us items specifically for our use."

Farmer Giles is jolly grateful for the remaining weapons and armour. "I'll make sure my good friend Farmer Maggot gets the lion's share of this, so he can look after the family of the slain shepherd. We can always trade this stuff with the Keep or even sell it to be melted down. Good luck on your travels - you will always be welcome at any of the farms of Sherwoodshire."

Marron nods politely, then turns to the others. "As Aislinn suggested, shall we head back to the Keep?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn isn't exactly disappointed over the lack of any identification of the late soldiers. Knowing who they were gives them the obligation--at least the moral obligation, as Walker would probably argue--to inform their families. And while she'd do it, she'd rather not think too much more about them. What if they're somehow connected to... whoever enslaved her? As frustrating as her lack of memory can be, Aislinn's very uncertain as to how she'd react to anything specific she might learn of what happened. She has a vague goal, something she needs to learn, but nothing more than that.

Anyway they're gone now and the farmers are satisfied--likely not the shepherd's family, but nothing will ease their pain except perhaps time. She's ready to return to the Keep, and glances at Walker to see if he and Eye are ready.

(She's still wary about Eye, and how much Walker has seen through his Familiar's vision due to his knowledge of her Ring. But Aislinn finds it very hard to distrust her companions when they're fighting for their lives.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Aislinn, Marron and Walker say their goodbyes to the farmers (who give them three cheers as a farewell) and head back to the Keep (carrying the Patrol Sergeant's items.)

They reach the Keep safely and are greeted by Saradoc and Druid Kitty (with Woody the Ogre waving in the background.)
    Druid Kitty explains that there is an immediate audience with Count Percival, so he can congratulate them!
    She accepts the Patrol items and explains she and the Count plan to give each member of the party two magical items in return for their deeds, the Dragon Hide and the Patrol items.

After a brief ceremony where the Count hears about the party's deeds, he makes a courteous speech about the party's heroics. Then the party are invited to adjourn to a meeting room to receive their rewards and get the latest news.
    As they depart, Aislinn notices that a couple of Keep Guards are covering up the symbol of the Empire that has been displayed on the wall of the Keep dining hall. Saradoc whispers "The Count says he has to keep it up there for diplomatic reasons - but he will claim it needs to be covered for 'cleaning'!'

Registered
    Dec 2022

In a quiet moment, Walker would like to speak with Druid Kitty.

"Druid Kitty, greetings again! It's been an.... eventful week or so, I'd say. I have brought back these herbs from the Crag, I hope they'll be of use. It's blooming fairly well up there, but I'll admit it did take a bit of a scorching from the dragon, hah! I think we managed to mitigate the damage and here," [he holds out the satchel of herbs gathered] "is what I managed to pick while we were there. Some of them might be a little.... frazzled, but hopefully still useful. We did get a fair bit of dragon hide as well, I'm not sure if you or perhaps some of the leatherworkers in the Keep could use it. It's certainly tough - I can attest to that after hacking away at it!

"We didn't really find a use for your potions too much this time so don't feel the need to brew any more up on our behalf........ unless you have something a bit more spicy hah! I don't know what else you have in your recipe book!"

He pauses, unsure how to broach the next question.

"Uhmm. My new companion, I... she... she has this ability to summon ... I think? ... summon illusions of animals or people. At first it was just a wolf, and it seemed so real, just like Eye, but she didn't seem to know how it appeared and couldn't talk to it as I talk to Eye here." [He reaches up to ruffle her feathers - Eye's, not Kitty's! - and in response she leans into it and while enjoying the scritches (again, Eye, not Kitty!) she gives him a mental nudge, "Get on with it, idiot."]

"But it seems that it's not even real. But it is real. Sorry, I'm not making much sense, you know me and magic, hah! It... I don't... I saw her conjure a man... well you know him: Saradoc... and he fought and killed as if he were real. I am just... I don't know... unsure of this magic. I don't want to bother Aislinn with my questions because I think she is unsure herself, to be honest, about how this works, and I think you are the one person I know and trust who can explain it. Or maybe help her to understand it? She seems troubled by it and was even visited by Nimue (who, apparently, wasn't very helpful in the explaining department) to help her, but I .... I don't know where I'm going with this, sorry. I just know that I don't understand it, and frankly it's a scary ability and I don't know if it's good or not... seeing Saradoc there on the path and killing the patrol... I .... it can clearly be used to make people see what isn't there, and hear what isn't real, and it can harm them too... I just..... I don't know. But also I don't think Aislinn understands either, and I've noticed........ I've noticed sometimes she holds her head as if there's a pain there. She says she's fine. But..."

Walker gives one more trademark shrug as he finishes, "I don't know what I'm asking for. Do you know anything about this, or could you help her maybe? I know I'm just lumping all of you who can do magic stuff into the same basket here hah! I promise, I don't think you all look the same!"
    Last edited by ping; 01 Jun 2023 at 06:01 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

It's strange indeed to see the real Saradoc, and Aislinn keeps sneaking glances at him both to see how well she remembered his features, and--though she knows full well the truth--to make sure he's real.

She thanks him for going to the Keep ahead of them, which in retrospect was rather a brave thing to do, with at least one Empire patrol known to be about. The way had been checked by Eye, but... well, birds are not perfect. Empire soldiers can be crafty and duplicitous, as she's been told, and may have spells of concealment.

(Aislinn doesn't actually know what sort of enchantments are common among Empire soldiers. From what she's heard, and the few flashes of recollection she has... they didn't need enchantments to work their evil. But those who actually do possess such powers? The possibilities are terrifying.)

When she reaches the meeting room, she excuses herself briefly to find a place with a wash basin. Aislinn's soft tread is quick, keeping her head ostensibly down but her gaze darting about to check her surroundings. She touches her bandaged cheek and sighs grimly. The cloth wrapping she wears is much like the one on the Count's crest. There's no way to forget what lies beneath: the designs persist both in reality and her mind's eye. Others may be blind to them; she cannot be. What exists beneath a veil still exists. And at least in her case, probably always will.

Except... Nimue's gift.

Aislinn feels the need to see if she can use it. She's still a little fuzzy on how much control she has or even how much spiritual energy is left, after having expended so much creating a simulacrum of Saradoc. The Keep feels a relatively safe environment for her right now, expecting no further adventures or enemy encounters this eve. Which means she will dare to risk using more power, even if it's the last she has for the rest of the day, to try out what could seem miraculous.

She knows she may regret this decision should something unexpected occur, but... her curiosity must be sated.

Thus Aislinn continues to pad swiftly through the corridors to seek out a washroom--and specifically, one with a looking-glass.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Saradoc tells Aislinn “It was a great idea to send me ahead with the Dragon Hide! The hobbit merchant I escorted understood the concept of ‘second breakfast’ and also we faced no difficulty on the journey.”

Saradoc then happily informs the party that he got a +2 arrow (+10% to hit and +2 damage) as his share of the reward for slaying the Dragon.
    He continues “I was able to see magic items being made from the Hide.
    Oh, and our boss Lestrade has sent reinforcements from the Scout Guild. He wants me to tell you that he’s very pleased with our progress and thought you would welcome another Scout.
    Her name is Eluned and she’s currently in the orchard with Woody.”

Druid Kitty then says “Yes, that Dragon Hide was most welcome! Here’s some benefits from it.”
    She hands a pair of new boots to Walker, explaining that they are Boots of Elvenkind.

(DM: These give Walker a permanent 90% chance to Move Silently and work in harmony with his Cloak.)

Marron gets a leather Helm of Detect Evil (1/day.)

Kitty offers Aislinn a choice of a magical item.

(DM: Message sent to Aislinn.)

Kitty then draws Walker aside and thanks him for the usual herbs and plants.
    She adds “I’ve heard of folk who can conjure up illusions.
    I myself can do a Faerie Fire, which outlines opponents with glowing flames. It does no damage, but makes them easier to hit. Another of my spells is Obscurement which creates a fog to hide me from opponents. Incidentally I remember some similar effect when Aislinn left the Hall after the banquet.
    I’d be happy to help with advice and information – but I think it better if Aislinn approaches me. I don’t want to put any pressure on her.”
    Kitty smiles at Walker and continues “There are several ways to cast magic. I use my Druid power mainly for animal, plant and weather magic. Cleric Marron has healing, protection and spells to combat evil. Magic Users have the widest range of spells – combat, movement, gathering information and so on are all part of their repertoire.”

Aislinn has no problem finding a washroom – and within there is a shiny metal trophy (similar to the one in Farmer Giles’ farmhouse.)
    This trophy is for ‘Rudest Vegetable’ - apparently there is considerable competition between the farmers in all sorts of categories…

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn smiles slightly at the award, vaguely curious to know precisely what happened to the winning vegetable. Then, after the hesitation that always takes place in these circumstances, she unwinds the bandage from her face, including the topmost portion that she never reveals. The black ink somewhat crudely stamped on her cheek greets her, with its oars and betraying Empire crest. Proclaiming her status as property. Not human, not sovereign over her own self. Just property.

On her temple, above and separate from the standard slave tattoo, is the one she didn't show even her companions. It's more intricate, with an outline made from inks of midnight-blue and shining gold. It's also far more skillfully applied. This mark was paid for by someone with access to a true artisan as well as a great deal of money--gold ink is precious, and anyone willing to waste it on a skin decoration for a slave must have a perverse sense of pride and an overfull purse.

It's elegant, artistic, ornamental. Even beautiful. And Aislinn despises it.

Neither she nor any of the Lizardfolk who met her knows its meaning. But the shaman warned her that it is likely more dangerous to possess. Someone spent time and money on it, and thus any offered bounty might be higher.

Aislinn bends to splash her face and hands with water, after which she uses a clean cloth to pat herself dry. Then, staring into the mirror-bright metal at her reflection, she trembles before daring to try the spell Nimue gave her last night. What if it doesn't really work? Nothing else has. Will this do it?

She was told she could ask for almost any effect, within certain parameters. All she imagines is the most simple: to look like herself. Closing her eyes, she whispers the words to cast Alter Self.

When she dares open them again, her eyes widen. In the the reflection she sees... a girl. Not a great beauty, not even striking. But a normal, pretty girl as she must have looked before. Smooth, unmarked pale skin. Dark brown eyes that seem even darker without the bandages or tattoos to distract from their shining depths. Her hair, now untangled, falls below her shoulders in wavy mahogany locks. (She doesn't recall having imagined anything related to her hair, but supposes she must have envisioned a much more... groomed appearance.)

Aislinn suddenly gasps and peers closer to the plaque, touching her fingers to the edge of her right eye, then down to her throat. Why, her scars are gone. Near her eye had been a slight puckering, as if cut by something uneven and sharp. Around her throat was usually a round band of reddish, scaly skin--such as might have been caused by a too-tight collar. They might be recent, they might have been from childhood. Now both are absent too, erased just like the hated ink.

Blinking hard, she stares at herself in disbelief, and quickly covers her mouth with her hand when a sob threatens to burst out of her. "I'm free," she blurts despite her muffled voice. "I look free."

The effect lasts just one day, Nimue told her. And it takes up another spot that could be used for vital combat, defense, mission purposes. Life or death purposes. But this could be life or death, if someone sees what's really here. It's a slight rationalization but probably not far from the truth.

She's about to dispel it when she decides... maybe not. Maybe being seen in public, by many people here at the Keep, without any dangerous, tell-tale tattoos, is a good strategy. Others will see that the girl traveling with her companions must be a freewoman, no escaped slave. Even the new companion, this Eluned, need not know what the others saw.

So there will be no need for bandages this night. Aislinn realizes that to feel the cool air on her skin would be glorious.

But temporarily, she wraps the bandages back around her head, deciding that she'll uncover them when others are around to see. Otherwise they'll not even recognize her.

Finished, Aislinn wipes the tears from her eyes and, her expression brighter, leaves the washroom to return to the meeting chamber.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker inspects the boots, then takes off his own worn boots and put these on, finding that they fit his feet perfectly.

"Why, thank you, Druid Kitty. And thank you for your advice as well. I... well, you know I'm a bit wary of this magic stuff, but I know that even now the boots you have given me must have some magic in them - I've never once managed to buy a pair of boots that I didn't have to wear in for a week before they stopped giving me blisters, hah!

"And yes, I know that you, and Marron, and others have magical abilities. I was just unsure for Aislinn, as she seems to not understand her own magic. But I wouldn't presume that, maybe she is fine. I don't know, I think it's that the illusions were just unsettling. I think I should go back now to find her anyway. Thank you again for these fine boots."

He clicks his heels together smartly and head back to find Aislinn in the Keep. When he finally spots her he notices that she looks more cheerful and confident than he's seen in a while, with her head held slightly higher and something in her posture. It's to be expected of course, being welcomed back here in the Keep as heroes and given gifts rather than camping out in the cold and damp!

"Aislinn, look!" [Walker clicks his heels together again, showing off his new boots.] "This is what I was given as my reward! They are so very comfortable, and also, they match my cloak!" [He swooshes it majestically. They do, indeed, match his cloak.]

"What did you get for your reward?

"Oh, also... sorry if this was out of line... I talked to Druid Kitty about your magic because she is the only person I know who really understands this, heh. No offence intended, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest you don't. I just thought that she might be able to help you understand it better as well, I don't... I don't know, just it seems to me that sometimes you seem confused, unsure, or maybe surprised by what you can do. Maybe she can help. She's very talented. I'm not saying you're not! Sorry! I just meant... Never mind. She would be a fine person to talk to for any advice, if you needed it, not that you need it, hah! You have talked to your own god! I'm just waffling on here, sorry. I hope you know I didn't reveal anything about you that would be personal, if you get my meaning. I just said mainly that I didn't understand your magic - which she knew would be the case of course - and that you might maybe want to talk to someone.... I don't know. Sorry."

Walker shrugs and then shuffles awkwardly.

"I... um. Yup. So, previous question, hah. Did you get a reward as well?"
    Last edited by ping; 07 Jun 2023 at 07:39 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn can't help smiling at how pleased Walker is with his boots and cloak. "Yes, Master Walker. They lovely and fit you very well," she says after a moment of wearing an expression of somewhat exaggerated judicious thought. And it is no lie. He has a becoming appearance that seems quite suited for such finer objects, as humble and plainspoken as he is.

Though about to answer his question about Druid Kitty's gift, Aislinn is cut off by Walker's continuing at length to reveal his concerns and above all, his act of speaking to Kitty. The girl's mood grows more distant, even remote, as she considers this. First the Ring, now he seeks out information about her magic... Why does he need such details about her? She wants anonymity, she doesn't want to be known.

Swallowing, she does her best to keep from any unpleasant display. It takes her some time to gather herself, but when she does she's able to speak without ire or tension.

"You're right, of course," she says at last, slowly. "I don't know my magic very well. I'm sorry you find it uncanny; I do as well, if that helps. I don't think there's anything destructive or harmful to it. Even if there were I'd only use it against an enemy."

Aislinn blinks as her gaze falls to the floor. "I do wish though, sir, that you wouldn't speak to others about me. At least--I can't tell you what to say or not, but one never knows what you might unintentionally reveal, even with a mere question. There are certain people who can glean more meaning from a question than a whole host of answers. Yes, Kitty is trustworthy, I know you, and Marron and Saradoc, believe that. And I sense you are likely right. But in my situation I simply can't accept second-hand trust--as if it's a gift passed from Kitty to you, thence to me. I must see and weigh it myself. Directly."

She paces a few steps, hugging herself. "It's just... when pieces of me are shared with near-strangers, 'tis they who reform those pieces into a whole. Like a puzzle. And they might get the picture wrong or right. Either way, I want to be seen simply as I appear. As I choose to appear." Pivoting, she lets her eyes meet Walker's again, hopeful. "You understand, I think? That scrutiny is not always welcome?"

After trying to lighten her mood, she sighs and clasps her hands together. "As for the gift... yes, I received one. A potion. I'm not sure how useful it is, to be frank. Mistress Kitty endeavors to grant me something of what you have, with Eye. She knows how I feel about Wolf..." Now that Aislinn and everyone else know the animal is but her imagination made manifest, she's embarrassed at referring to it with a name, even as basic as she's already done. "I mean, about that illusion of a wolf. But finding another--a real Winter Wolf--would mean traveling so very far north. We won't be in such lands for some time, belike."

Aislinn bites her lip, then sinks down into a chair and adds softly, "I don't mean to be churlish. I am very grateful for it, as no one need give me anything at all. It's why she gave it to me. I feel such a fool, having believed myself to find friendship in a mere phantasm dragged out of my mind."

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker is absolutely aghast at Aislinn's reaction; she is clearly distraught and he notices her seem to draw into herself just as he'd thought moments ago that she had seemed so much more bright and confident. Shit.

"I, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry into your personal details or to share them without your consent. Sorry, I genuinely..... I genuinely, and this is the truth, sorry, I find your illusions quite terrifying. I ...... that illusory Saradoc was alarmingly believable and I trust you wouldn't use this skill for harm... well, I think those Empire patrol-men might beg to differ, hah! But I mean, I just see... I just SAW how this mental image can be used for harm. You were using it as a force of good, I guess... as we're assuming those men were bad.... but ..."

[Walker trails off again, trying to get the words right and feeling terrible for possibly unwittingly betraying Aislinn.]

"I think... no, I KNOW you mean only good with your illusions, but the fact is that I've never seen anything like this at all. My mind can't help but jump to how this might be used for less-good endeavours. Even just as minor as pranks or making someone think they are seeing or hearing things that aren't there... all the way up to fully attacking and damaging or killing a person. You could do this. Well, I've seen you do the latter, but one with ill intentions could use it for any sorts of mischief or harm, however major or minor. This is truly, to me, scary stuff. I think it would be scary even if I DID understand it, hah!

"By asking Druid Kitty, I apologise again, I mainly wanted to get some reassurance about how it works. Which, admittedly, I didn't get. Or if I did, I didn't understand it. My question to her regarding you was simply that my travelling companion seemed unsure of how it worked as well, and if she could help. That was all. I'm sorry that this overstepped the boundary, I shall not do it again. It was only out of concern, and I would never knowingly put you in danger. It's true what you say, you can't pass on trust second-hand. I trust Druid Kitty, but I understand that you haven't had that time to form your own judgement yet, as it your right. It's not for me to tell you to trust her."

Walker cocks his head as he processes the information about Aislinn's gift.

"Kitty gave you a potion? That is what she gave to me when I found Eye. I would warn - probably as she has done - that having a companion bound to you as that potion does is very different to your Wolf. If your Wolf is harmed, he can return... if you are to find a true wolf and use the potion, he is a true, animal wolf. If Eye were to be slain in combat or by other means, then she would be dead, for good, I cannot just call her back, and her death would harm me... and not just emotionally. This is why I usually have her flying high above us out of harm's way. Of course, I have the benefits of talking to her in my mind and also seeing through her eyes.... So, it is something to consider... positives and negatives, hah! If you're set on getting a Winter Wolf then you're right, I think a trek might be in store for that, unless it comes to you? When I summoned Eye she came to me, so maybe a wolf will appear to you? Are you particularly set on a Winter Wolf?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

While Walker speaks, at times most fervently, Aislinn remains seated, gloved hands tightly curled over her knees. His forthright words--he is either sincere or a remarkably deft performer--penetrate her own fear. She's ashamed for a few reasons, unable to articulate them to herself.

"I understand your...discomfort...about my magic. Both the form it takes and my inexperience with it. Ignorance can cause as much harm as malice. I may mean no real harm but in the end... does that matter? If someone's hurt?" Aislinn keeps her focus on Walker's new boots as she murmurs, "If you are to trust me, I should be truthful. I--I did use some of my skill to fool you. Ventriloquism, at the farm square."

She quickly explains the prank where she tricked him into believing that the women were praising him. "I'm sorry. I thought you'd enjoy it, that you'd laugh or feel proud, and maybe even go to them and try to..." Her face is burning. "I truly am sorry, Master Walker. I'd only just remembered that voice ability, because one of those tricksters used it, and I wanted to practice. I... I didn't know it would disturb you. And it did." Aislinn finally looks up. "It did, didn't it? You didn't like their attention very much. I should've known better. I avoid it myself. I'm just not used to that sort of feeling in a man."

There's more she needs to explain, especially if she expects to be trusted, as she said. But Aislinn suspects it all might be too much at once, too many flaws to reveal in one flood of admissions. Perhaps tomorrow. So she just stands up, keeping respectfully distant, just as she prefers from others. The thought of someone being afraid of her is terrible.

Is it?

A dark little spot, a coal ember of ugliness, flares within her. No, it's not entirely terrible. Part of her is actually secretly, angrily, gratified. Not that she's frightened Walker... not him. But it's a kind of strength, isn't it? The ability to daunt others? A kind of power Aislinn doesn't think she's ever known--not that she remembers, anyway.

Now she's just daunted herself. With a little inward shudder she pushes the thoughts away. "I hope you'll forgive me. I won't do it again, definitely not to you. The soldiers and the fake Saradoc... I didn't think I had a choice." Aislinn twists her fingers together, her usual habit of anxiousness, but something feels different. Physically different. She glances down, a little confused, but shrugs and returns to Walker. "The potion, I have the same concerns as you. I was reluctant to put a phantom wolf at risk. I don't know if I'd dare do anything to put a companion in danger. I'm content to wait. If we meet some animal that seems to take to me, and I to her, I'll see. It needn't be a Winter Wolf, but I... the child in me wants one."

Again she gives an embarrassed shrug. "Well. Will you forgive me? I forgive you, for sharing your fears with Mistress Kitty, and will try to trust--and earn yours." To show her trust of him, she slips off her right-hand glove and holds it out to him, to handclasp if he is of a mind to.

...Which is when she discovers the source of that curious physical change she'd felt earlier. The glove, when she'd been twisting her hands, moved against her without snagging even slightly on her rough, callused hand--and now she sees it's because the calluses are not there anymore. Her skin is as smooth and unblemished as a gracious maiden who never did a moment's work. The red, ridged callus on her palm is gone.

The Alter Self spell. It even changed my scars.

Since it's too awkward to withdraw, she just stands there, face still hot and hand still extended.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker is slightly taken aback by this sudden burst of confession, both of her prank and then her unsure-ness that she may inadvertently harm someone.

Seeing her outstretched, ungloved hand, Walker steps forward and clasps it firmly, holding on for just a moment, "I... um... thank you. Thank you for your honesty, and for your forgiveness. I honestly did not mean to expose you to attention or danger." He steps back and bows his head slighty,

"Regarding the ventriloquism... I'll admit it unnerved me. I think that you can understand not liking attention. However, it does seem like a very useful trick to have in our skillset, hah! ... but I think maybe I would have felt better if you had said it was you. Thank you for confessing now to it, you could have easily let me go on thinking it was real, but instead you told me... thank you for that. Of course I forgive you. You didn't know that I wouldn't like it, perhaps others would have found it amusing.

"As to your potion, I would have to ask Druid Kitty (AKA. GLee) for more information, as I don't know how Eye came to me exactly. Perhaps you won't have to go out searching for a wolf, hah! It doesn't sound particularly safe..."

(Read: Both Walker and Ping don't know how familiars work.. I'll ask in the other thread!)

"So, I assume we will take our rest here, then see if Saradoc and Marron will be continuing on with us, and what particular tasks Count Percival might have, what issues might have come up that would require our skills, hm? And it seems that we may have a new companion as well."
    Last edited by ping; 08 Jun 2023 at 08:53 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn is relieved by Walker's gracious acceptance of her apology, though she's a little unnerved at the handshake--it's been quite a long time since she's had physical contact, hand-to-hand, with another person. Of course, she initiated it, and there's nothing untoward in the least in Walker's manner.

"I'll ask Mistress Kitty more about the potion. I don't think it's a true Familiar, though. I'm not sure how close we'll be, or how much it would do what I say. I wouldn't really want something that must do as I say. That's no better than..." Her mouth closes in a tight, thin line, and she shakes her head before abandoning the thought. "I'd rather it be a bond of affection, as you have with Eye."

She agrees with him about Saradoc and Marron, though she thinks it more a case of whether she and Walker will be joining the two clearly committed Scouts. After looking at Walker, as well as a little more thought and a great deal more doubt, she inhales, holds her breath, then says in a rush: "If it helps earn your trust in my magic use--or me in general--I should tell you that I was given another powerful spell. Something I never thought I--you might not approve since it too involves deceit of a sort, and illusion, but--"

Running out of words, Aislinn takes another second to prepare herself. Then her fingers reach up and clumsily unwind her bandages. At last her entire face is bared--visible to another for the first time since leaving the Lizardfolk.

She stares somewhere in the vicinity of Walker's left shoulder, nearly as awkward as if she's torn off her clothes. "This is what I look like. Looked like," she admits more softly. "Without the scars and markings. I didn't think I remembered but I guess the spell..."

With a shake of her head, she twists the bandage in her hands. "Nimue said I can change to anyone I've seen, or at least can imagine. I think even an animal, but I don't remember. Just for a day. Anyway I thought I'd try it, just till we leave here. To let others think I wear the bandages for some other reason.

"I was going to find some reason to unwrap at our meal, in front of the rest, but I..." Finally she meets his gaze. "I didn't want you to be surprised by this, too."

Registered
    Dec 2022

As she reaches up, Walker is unsure what Aislinn is about to do, knowing how fervently she checks her bandages are in place. When she pulls them away he has to stifle a short gasp. "She's beautiful" he thinks, followed by a rush of hot anger at what must have been done to her, followed closely by a deep feeling of sorrow that she needs to, or feels the need to cover up with bandages or magic to hide what was done. Not pity, never that - he knows she must have extreme strength to be here, and courage to now show herself as she was... no, as she should be.

"I... wow, I... I'm sorry. I don't have words. This is an amazing gift to you, but.... I am just so sorry that you have to use it. You said that it is just for a day... but, you can do it again, right? Or is this just the one day that you get?

"You are right in that nobody actually knows why you wear the bandage, I had assumed that you might have some healing wound or something from a fight. I would assume, with all of the scout work you do that it would be the assumption most here would make. Having just returned having been away for a while, and now having a chance to 'freshen up', so to speak, hah, it wouldn't be beyond believable that you have taken some time in the washroom to unwrap them and people will likely assume that whatever injury you were nursing has healed. Would that not be better than unwrapping it in front of the others? I don't know, I just... it would seem to me to make sense that you checked your injury in private and saw that it was healed enough to remove the wrapping, and you can walk in head high looking as you would have... sorry, SHOULD look." [Characteristic shrug] "I don't know, you do whatever feels right to you. Just don't over-think it, the assumption I am sure that everyone will have had is that you have just been healing from an injury, nobody would be thinking of what you've gone through."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Less self-conscious thanks to Walker's response, Aislinn's now able to smile shyly as she glances down at the crumpled bandage knotted in her hands. "I hope you are right. For the spell, I can cast it once a day. But it takes up energy, I think, and thus I wouldn't be able to use any other of that type of advanced spell until the day is done. What if we are set upon, or must perform some dangerous duty? There are possibly more useful things to use in a battle. Stronger Illusions even than the phantom Saradoc." Knowing this might make him uncomfortable again, she pushes forward.

"That is why I'd rather save this..." She sort of circles her hand around her face, then continues, "...for when it's truly necessary. I think it best to keep myself bandaged otherwise. I was just thinking that if anyone here saw me with a bandage, then unwrap it, if they see me with it again it won't seem... odd. I don't know. I may be overthinking. The awful thing is I think I've grown used to hiding under these. It's a strange feeling."

Flushing, she stuffs the bandage into the pocket of her skirt. "But I haven't asked you about your gift. The boots have some special magic to them? And have you been rewarded for your skills as well? I don't know how non-magical people receive benefits from their... whatever they believe in. Deity, I suppose."

Which makes her wonder if Woody, as a believer in Nimue now, has been visited by her as well. He deserved some gift for helping them with the thieves. If she has a chance, she'll visit him before they leave, just to see how he is faring so far. I'll warrant Walker might like to meet an Ogre to whom we showed kindness. I shall ask him later.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker shrugs yet again. It's a noticeable habit when he seems a bit lost in a situation.

"For me personally, it would seem more strange to publicly unwrap your bandages than to just show yourself without them, as if, as I said, you'd gone and cleaned yourself up after our adventure, but you do what you feel best. I do get the potential problem if someone were to see you again, but it could easily be explained away with a minor injury that you are covering.

"As to my boots, well, as I said, they match my cloak, hah!" [Walker swooshes majestically again and clicks his heels together]. "You saw how well my cloak was able to help conceal me before, in the ambush, so that I was hardly able to be spotted.... well, I believe that level of concealment is beyond even my capabilities of hiding. And, not to be boastful but even without it I am *quite* good at not being seen in general when necessary, heh, so I assume the cloak has some magic to enhance that. These boots... they don't only match the cloak in looks but I think, from what Druid Kitty said, that they will work in harmony with my cloak as well. So yes, they appear - I think - to also be magical in nature and that if I choose to not be seen I'll not only be able to just hunker down and blend in as my cloak allowed, but I should also be able to move silently so that potentially I could gather information without being detected more effectively, or... I don't know... sneak up on people if needed. I don't know, hah! Not been field-tested yet! We will have to see! To be honest, aside from them matching my cloak in colour and style, my only hint towards them being magic was that they fit perfectly the very first time I put them on. Almost as if they shaped themselves to my feet. No rubbing, no stiffness, just a perfect fit. It is an odd feeling; I've never once had a pair of boots that fit me so perfectly. Maybe I've just been buying the wrong boots, hah!"

Walker pauses a moment as his brain catches up with what's been said.

"Wait. You can change into an animal?!"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn enjoys Walker's pride in his gifts and his own skills. "The cloak was extraordinary at keeping you hidden--I don't think I'd've known you were there at all. I suppose it too is a sort of Illusion, in a way. I hope the boots serve you just as well. I expect they already are. Comfortable boots are a rarity."

His shock takes her aback slightly, but it also makes her uncertain. "Well... perhaps not an animal. I could become an Ogre, though. Anything that's on two feet, I think? Which does let out most animals. At least any I've seen. And I think that's a necessary part--I have to be familiar with whoever it is I turn into." Again she hesitates. "Not really turning into them, just looking like them. They'll still exist, obviously. And I'm still me. Just like I'm still an escaped--" She darts an anxious look towards the door, then returns to Walker. "Well. You understand."

Her hand lifts to touch her cheek, where her primary tattoo was. Is. She has a very, very vague memory of the sharp pain of whatever needles created the brand-like design, but pondering it makes her head hurt as well. She backs away from the discomfort, something she's quite good at.

She's quick to depart the subject, and also offer her companion some reassurance. "I promise I won't change without telling you. I mean, I won't try to pretend to be someone else to you, or the others. That is--" Aislinn reflects for a few seconds before amending her words. "I suppose there could be some odd reason that might be necessary sometime. Having to disguise myself without your knowledge, I mean. But I can't imagine what such a circumstance might be."

Given how strange this magic is, Aislinn decides against sharing the most unusual abilities connected to it. She looks around to see if there's a window, that she might judge the approximate hour by the sun or moon. "I haven't heard any bells here. I wonder if we're to find our own meal, or if we should be off before then?" A thought occurs to her, and she turns inquiringly to Walker. "Do you know, I am very unaware of your life details. I know you roam a great deal, but you're considered the Keep's ranger. Have you been in this noble position long? Perhaps over dinner you will tell me something of your background. And family, if you have one."

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker is curious about this ability but seems slightly comforted that Aislinn isn't imminently going to turn herself into a mountain lion or something. One illusory animal is quite enough, thank you! He notes her reach her hand up to her face and wonders, "Does *she* still feel the scars when she touches her face? Are they gone or just hidden behind an illusion to trick the eye but not the hand? Her illusions so far have seemed solid, so maybe she feels smooth skin? If she were to become an ogre, as she says, then would I feel the skin and size of an ogre? I think it would be inappropriate to ask."

"I, umm, I think we were invited to dine here. Perhaps we just head back to the main hall? I can hear them preparing so that would probably be the best plan. And I'm happy to share any details you would like from me, I've not had a particularly interesting life, hah!"

(I assume that, without DM intervention, they would head to dinner - I'll await input!)
    Last edited by ping; 11 Jun 2023 at 09:20 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

A servant knocks politely to invite the party to dinner.

When they enter the Dining Hall, they see Druid Kitty is hosting the informal buffet meal and that they are initially joined by Marron, Saradoc and even a slightly embarrassed Woody.
    Kitty explains "I have a lot to tell you. Firstly Count Percival is busy arranging for some more powerful magical items! They are your reward for saving his loyal farmers from Dragons and (she coughs) 'Patrols'.
    Next I am pleased to pass on news of a re-organisation by your Guild officer Lestrade.
    So Saradoc will be staying with the hobbit trade caravan that he has been escorting."

Saradoc says "It's a great opportunity for me. I get plenty of second breakfasts, responsibility and a chance to travel beyond the city of Drannasmoor. I shall miss you all - but Lestrade tells me he's sent reinforcements."
    Saradoc shakes hands with the party and waves as he departs.

Kitty adds "And Marron has accepted a position here at the Keep. He will be the Keep Priest serving under Bishop Geraint.*"

Marron smiles and states "I couldn't turn the offer down. A chance to help others and pursue the Arthurian Tradition. And I have Lestrade's permission to join you occasionally if you need Clerical support."
    Marron bows to each member of the party.

Kitty continues "Now Lestrade tells me that you will be getting one or two new colleagues. One is already here. I am pleased to present Eluned!"

*see companion thread post 64 for some NPCs

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn is quite happy to see Woody, and starts toward him before Druid Kitty stops to reveal both good news about some rewards--yes, were we not to get dragonskin armor that protects against fire?--and bad:

A complete upheaval of the party Aislinn's trained and traveled with for months.

She barely had a chance to get to know much about Marron or Saradoc--curiously, it's Walker who's been most friendly despite the others' knowing her for a considerable length of time. Still, the Guildmaster's choice to split up their original group of three feels... rather like being abandoned.

She's quiet when she congratulates both men and fares them well for their new paths. Her good wishes are genuine; one certainly can't blame them for taking such unique opportunities when offered. Nevertheless, the part of Aislinn that had become more open over the past few days withers, shrinking inside herself like an underfed, desiccated plant.

They know. I told them my secret and now they're going. And I have to meet others who'll need to be told too.

A swell of anxiety makes her stance stiff as a poker. She even puts her hand in her pocket in an instinctive need to touch the bandages that have been her one consistent companion, a safe haven for her. If she were wearing her cloak right now she'd gladly disappear beneath its hood.

Under the circumstances, her decision to remove the bandages is even more regretful. This woman is meeting her without her tattoos. That will require explanation. Aislinn darts a somewhat helpless glance at Walker before turning to the stranger. Her voice is as quiet as it was when she first met Saradoc and Marron. "Mistress Eluned," she murmurs with an instinctive, deferential curtsy and bowing of her head. After all, a slave's trained behavior will not die easily. Conditioned to behave as if everyone is her social better--even among the party--Aislinn says no further and waits for the other to address her.

Registered
    Jun 2023

Stepping into the room is a fairly short, slight woman who walks straight to Druid Kitty and gives a small deferential bow. She is shorter than Kitty but holds herself with a confidence that suggests she knows this woman well, and also that she has a strength both physical and mental within her.

"Thank you for your invitation, Druid Kitty. I understand you have a group that I might join with?"

She turns and you see that, as she turns to you, she has pale hair that seems sometimes to almost shift to a greenish-blue in the light. Her clothing is fairly simple but functional leather, well worn but well-kept. A keen eye might spot that there is a tiny butterfly just sitting in her hair. Occasionally it flutters up into the air and then lands again.

Noting Aislinn's greeting, she responds, "Hello, Aislinn. I believe we've met before. And you... you are Marron? Or Walker? Or one of the others? Apologies, I was told a list of names but not descriptions. I've met Aislinn but I apologise, I've not met the others here.

"But anyway, I'm Eluned, pleased to meet you. You can just call me Lynn for short, most people do. Apparently I'm to travel with you for a while.

"I know Druid Kitty here, she taught me most of what I know, and if she says that you are going to be trustworthy companions then I trust that she is correct. [she nods towards Druid Kitty, who nods back]

"I understand that you might be wary of a stranger entering your group, so please, ask anything you would like of me. I have no secrets. I will say now that I hope to be of use to you with my connection to nature; I can help you if you are wounded and... I should probably mention that I - ahem - I have a rather large bear who is waiting outside. The guards did not seem keen on him joining us in here. I promise you that he is perfectly friendly. Well, to MY friends, at least. I don't want you to be alarmed when you meet him.

"So, are you currently working on a particular job or task?"
    Last edited by Eluned; 14 Jun 2023 at 05:53 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn hesitates and this time takes her gaze off the floor to look more closely at the other woman. She does look familiar, with the butterfly being the most unusual (and therefore most memorable) attribute to Aislinn.

She looks lively and yet grounded, too. If she's older, it's probably not by much--though Druids may have some ability to age slowly, Aislinn has no idea. Most important, her demeanor appears friendly and not overly intimidating, which is a relief.

The same may not be said of a bear. The mountains and forests she remembers from her early childhood had both Winter Wolves and Winter Bears, but Aislinn has only knowledge of the former. It's instinctual to have some fear of such beasts. Still, Eluned doesn't have much more height to her than Aislinn, and she has confidence in a bear's friendliness, so perhaps it won't be as scary as it sounds. But she does wonder what reaction it might have to the wolf illusion.

Out of politeness she'll respond, "I apologize if we've met. My memory often fails me, mistress. But looking now, I do think we may have been in training at the same time. As far as I know we haven't any direct plans yet. Patrolling and... trying to help others, I suppose." It sounds weak to Aislinn even as she responds, so she defers to Walker. He can greet the new comrade properly.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker, having just taken in several revelations; Aislinn's openness, her confession, her face-reveal, Kitty's announcement that Marron and Saradoc won't be joining them but a new person will........ and lo, there is suddenly the new person.... is a bit on the back-foot but recovers as he assesses the newcomer.

A quick check over with keen eyes has Walker see what initially appears to be a fairly short and unobtrusive woman stride up - is that a butterfly? - in a very forthright manner and get straight down to business.

"Hmm, ok, well, she seems.... capable I assume. no nonsense. Having someone who could heal would be certainly useful now that Marron is leaving us. And any friend of nature is a friend of mine. Wait, did she say she has a BEAR??"

Walker coughs slightly then bows, "Thank you, Druid Kitty, for introducing us to our new companion. And greetings to you, Eluned... Lynn. It seems you and Aislinn here have met? I..... I'm Walker. shrug it's what people call me anyway, so it will do. Aislinn and I have actually just returned from a couple of rather interesting adventures, hah! We have only just returned to the Keep here, and we don't currently know where our skills will be needed next. Our two previous colleagues have just parted ways with our group on their own next adventure or job, so we will certainly be grateful for an extra pair of hands. Or paws, hah! A BEAR, you say?

"Anyway, shall we go through to dinner, and perhaps the Count or one of his advisors will have news that we might need to act upon? Otherwise, as Aislinn says, we can just patrol and look out for trouble. I usually have a route I take through some of the nearby villages to check in with the locals and see if there's anything particularly bothering them, like Empire patrols unchecked, or -hah- a dragon! .......I'm not joking."

With a slight bow to Druid Kitty, Walker would gesture through towards the buffet table, while keeping a close eye on Aislinn to gauge her reaction to all of this.

"She seems a bit.... ruffled... unsure. Perhaps it's being exposed without her bandages? That is a brave move, but now aside from that, there are so many changes. She hardly knows me. I don't know how long she'd been with Marron and Saradoc, but they seemed like good companions... I get the feeling they had travelled if not trained together... it must be a bit of an upheaval to lose both of them and be lumbered with me. And she doesn't ever seem that comfortable with me anyway. Am I intimidating to her? I've tried but maybe I'm just not very good at being a gentleman in company? It IS fair that I should earn her trust and not expect it. And now this new person... at least perhaps that's a friend from the past? Oh gods, I wish I was just out walking on my own with Eye!"
    Last edited by ping; 15 Jun 2023 at 06:25 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2023

Eluned would raise an eyebrow at Aislinn seemingly not remembering their training time together, and also notes that whatever injury she had been nursing before to her face appears to have healed. It's been a while, so that is to be expected, of course.

She nods to Walker, "Apologies, Mr Walker. I had just heard of a group of scouts and was given names, I was not aware that two of them were to leave your group. It is a pleasure to meet you both. You will meet Denzil soon."

And with a quick bow of her head to them both and Druid Kitty, Eluned strides straight off to the buffet, loading a plate with a selection of meats and some fruit and vegetables which she passes to one of the servants with a quiet comment, then goes on to fill her own plate with a similar variety but smaller amount of food, then goes to stand in the corner to just observe the room.

"These new companions are.... odd. I recall Aislinn from training here at the Keep, but it seems my face is not so memorable. Actually, though I know the name, without that I don't think I would have recognised her either, without her bandages. I hope she's well, she seems healed at least. This Walker seems a bit stuffy maybe? I get the scent of the outdoors from him so maybe he is connected to nature, and he seems uncomfortable. Hmm, they BOTH seem uncomfortable. What have I got dropped into here?"

She swats at the butterfly which seems to have magically gained the companionship of a tiny moth that was fluttering around the torches, and, ignoring her gestures, they both settle in her hair. The moth is occasionally distracted and flies back up to the torch-light before Lynn tuts and it flutters back.
    Last edited by Eluned; 15 Jun 2023 at 06:31 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn exhales in some relief. It's been difficult learning to interact with humans--or human-like beings--aside from the Lizardfolk.

"Well, she has a hearty enough appetite," she murmurs after watching Eluned pile up on food before turning to Walker. "Best we follow quickly so we can be fed at all."

She walks, waiting for Walker to follow, toward the food. The array is impressive. Even now she's not used to such abundance, much less the ability to take however much food one wishes. While she selects some sort of roasted meat, she glances unobtrusively toward Eluned, standing in a corner, her plate far less full than it was before. "A fast appetite, too. We'd better bring provisions to spare."

When her plate is full of the meat--she can now tell that it's mutton--along with barley bread and a heap of spinach, Aislinn waits for Walker, at which point she'll head to any free space at one of the long tables where the two of them can sit. Once seated, she exhales again and lets her shoulders slump from their previous stiff position.

"I'm sorry to see Marron and Saradoc go. We weren't especially friendly but they were, at least, familiar. I got used to them. When we were first assembled I barely spoke two words together. Now just as I relaxed, they are gone." She picks up the bread, absently swirling it in some of the savory juice from the mutton. It takes her near a full minute before she finally looks up at Walker. "I think I've spoken more words to you than anyone else since I left the Lizardfolk. I wonder why."

The question seems too introspective and she shakes her head. "What powerful items would you wish for, when the Count offers them?" Aislinn hesitates, then her lips curve in a rare smile. "A doublet to match the cloak and boots, I trow?"

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker notes the heavily-laden plate of food heading out of the door, carried by the servant, and their new companion taking a more modest amount onto a second plate for herself. Hmm.

As he moves over with Aislinn to the buffet table he picks a varied selection of meat, bread and fruit, quietly pleased for once to be back in civilisation. While it's wonderful to be away from all of this peopling out on his journeys, a mug of spiced wine and a plate of something that you didn't have to harvest or kill and cook for yourself is quite pleasant.

Following Aislinn to the table he notes her comments about Saradoc and Marron, "I only knew them for a short time but they seemed trustworthy companions from what I saw. Were you with them for long? I'm sorry for you that they've moved on. And, I was just thinking a few moments ago when we heard the news, hah - now you have been lumbered with me, it seems. I don't know whether you wanted that or not. I'm sensing perhaps not. You don't have to speak if you aren't comfortable, if that's what you mean. I.... I don't want you to feel uncomfortable if that's what you mean, if you feel I've been making you talk more than you would usually.... sorry, I know I talk too much. I do hope that you will be able to relax with me, if we're to travel together. Or, I imagine, you could ask to be transferred, hah! See, there I am talking again and probably making you uncomfortable."
    [Walker mutters something under his breath that probably isn't a particularly polite word]

"Anyway, sorry. Please tell me to shut up when I'm rambling on. Regarding any reward, I don't think I was expecting anything else from the Count, to be honest, aside from these boots. They are surely reward enough? If we are to get something more then... I don't know, my staff is pretty decent, I love my cloak and boots... maybe I could get a slightly more shiny dagger? Or maybe some ring or pendant? I don't know what's on offer or what resources the Count might have. What are you hoping for?"
    Last edited by ping; 16 Jun 2023 at 12:54 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2023

Eluned watches from the side of the room. Having sent a meal to Denzil - she'll check on him later - she nibbles at her own food while gauging these new companions.

I'm not sure. They look uncertain... Is that regarding me or did I just break up a group? Are they comfortable with each other? Not comfortable with me joining? Should I just go over and plop down next to them on their table or stay back here? I'll stay back here. It looks like they're talking about something serious. They both seem quite intense. Best to stay back for now and see what happens. I've been sent here and assigned to their group, so I'll see how that goes.

Watching with keen eyes, Eluned might occasionally see Aislinn reach up to her face or rub her hand, as if this is a habit. Understandable, if she has recently healed... And Walker, when he seems to be saying something intently, he reaches up to that pendant... Is that a holy symbol? Not one I recognise.

Hovering in the corner of the room, Eluned doesn't take a seat, but instead stays standing with her back to the wall while she nibbles, just watching the room and particularly the behaviour of these new people to pick up what she can.

(She does note that this Walker fellow has very good fashion sense in pairing his boots and cloak. Very smart! She also would probably spot a hawk up in the rafters, who is similarly gazing back at her, and looks her straight in the eye.)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Chewing the tender mutton while listening to Walker's flow of words, Aislinn is quietly pleased both by the food and the talk. By focusing on his voice, she can ignore the others surrounding her. Once she swallows and washes the food down with some cider, she shakes her head.

"No, please don't worry. I don't mind your conversation. At all. When I said I speak to you more, it wasn't..." She gives a one-shouldered shrug. "It's not a complaint. If I wasn't comfortable I wouldn't talk."

She stabs idly at the spinach. "I am quieter--harder--with the rest. Always was. We didn't know each other well. I trained for about a year, at the same time as they. And, I suppose, Mistress Eluned. She doesn't seem happy that I don't remember, but... I can't help it. If we met early in my time at the Guild, I wasn't in the best of health. My memory," Aislinn adds in explanation, though she understands it's not all that illuminating.

"Anyway, we began as this Guild together but a month ago. At the most." A frown lowers her brow. "Do you know, I've already forgotten how much time has passed. I think it's much less than a month, actually. But yes, I think they were trustworthy. I hoped so. But not friends." Aislinn looks down at her plate in thought. "I wonder if I'll forget them, too, as time goes on."

She takes another sip from the cider--which warms her, being fermented and thus inclined to make one drunk if overindulged. "I don't mind when you talk at length, in truth. You feel safe to me. I admit earlier you didn't, but... I don't know. It changed. Anyway, the longer you talk, the less I have to."

Again she gives a fleeting smile and shakes her head. "As for the gifts. I would be happy with anything. Especially if I could sell it. There must be a tradesman here who could offer--that is--well, if it's powerful enough it would be better to keep it," she hastens to add, a little flush warming her cheeks at how obvious she's made her interest in coins.

Well, at least this shows why I don't talk. Perhaps drink less of the cider, she warns herself, and sets the flagon down. "You mention a pendant. Do you collect them? You have that one already." She nods towards the pendant he touches so often. "Is it... is it some Arthurian symbol? A talisman for good luck? A family heirloom? You don't have to answer," Aislinn blurts, embarrassed. "If it's too personal."

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walker instinctively reaches up to briefly touch the pendant again, then realises he's done it, and thinks, "How often do I do that? It's obviously noticeable."

"Well, firstly, I'm pleased to know I'm not terrifying to you at least, and that you don't think I talk too much, hah! In truth, when I'm out on my own I do talk a lot, to myself or to Eye [he gets a mental sigh from the hawk up in the rafters, 'Yes, that's true.'], and I think I'm probably worse when I'm actually with people because my words just sort of run away with themselves when I've not planned what to say, hah! I promise that in civilised company - ah, no, I don't mean you're NOT civilised company - crap - sorry - I mean, if I have to talk in front of a village elder or to the Count, stuff like that, I have time on my travels to plan. Talking here with you, you can probably tell, hah, I have not particularly planned my words so they're just sort of coming out."

Walker realises as he is saying this, that it is exactly what is happening so he promptly shuts up to take a swig of his drink and a mouthful of mutton.

After a moment of silence he says quietly, "Do you know, some of the locals gave me the nickname "Walker the Talker". I hate it really, though I know they are probably just saying it kindly or in jest, but still. It's nickname I would rather not have earned."

He reaches up deliberately to his pendant this time and holds it out. It is a symbol of a round table, enameled in red and blue.

"Anyway. It's fine for you to ask. This pendant was my father's. It's basically the Round Table symbol of Arthurian tradition... but it's not a holy symbol such as Marron wears. It was given to my father as a sort of... medal. A recognition of valour, if you like.

"I should probably explain; my whole family have worked for the Count and the Keep our entire lives. My grandfather was Keep Steward for the previous Count Versifal and then for a short while for Count Percival after Versifal passed, then my father was the Keep Huntsman under our current Count, and now I am ... I suppose... his main ranger? It doesn't come with an official title, hah. But anyway, my grandfather had a very strong sense of duty, which he passed on to my father, and I suppose then to me.

"My father actually saved the Count's life when they were attacked by a boar on a hunt, hence this [he holds the pendant/medal a little closer] symbol of recognition for his bravery and dedication to his duty. After my father passed away the Count formally give me sort of ... permission, I suppose, to wear this. I wouldn't presume to wear another man's earned honours without earning them myself, which is why I had it made into a pendant rather than wearing it as a medal.

"My grandfather's words, passed on to my father, and then to me, were "My Word is my Bond". They're the words they lived by while working for the successive Counts here, and which I live by too. I don't have a religious symbol I can swear upon, but this is as close as you - or anyone - will get to a true oath, without needing any gods. If I give my word, whether that is to protect someone or to keep a secret, my pendant is a reminder of my father and my grandfather, and the oaths they gave and held for their whole lives. When I say to you or to anyone that I give my word, this symbol reminds me that my father and grandfather would hold that as Truth, and it is just a reminder to me that... well, hah... my Word IS My Bond. Otherwise what purpose is a man giving his word?"

Walker realises that he's been talking a LOT, probably about stuff that isn't relevant, "Ok, she only asked if my pendant was an heirloom or a religious symbol, and now I've just lectured her on my family history. I'm really not good at this. And YES, Eye, I know, I can feel your eyes rolling from down here."

"Umm. Anyway. I do feel like I'm talking too much, even though you said it was ok. I don't want to pry, but I'll just say that I - along with Druid Kitty - have helped treat people with memory issues and, again I won't ask you for details that you don't want to give, but sometimes people who have experienced a trauma... and that could be such as a physical blow to the head, or a mental trauma... can have problems with memory. They often get better with time as the brain heals itself. So... I suppose what I'm saying is... if you had a blow to the head or some traumatic event, maybe it is just that your brain is healing. It might take some time, but I'm sure you won't forget Marron and Saradoc, at least. I hadn't realised you'd only been together for such a short time. I suppose, when I joined you, you seemed like such a cohesive group that I assumed you had been working together for some time."

He looks over at Eluned in the corner, and after a mental nudge and the mental equivalent of a sassy eyebrow from Eye, notices that this newcomer has clearly spotted the hawk.

"Hmm. I don't know if our new companion is comfortable to join us. She and Eye have spotted each other and seem to be locked in some sort of staring contest. Note: don't get into a staring contest with a hawk. You won't win. I know this from experience, hah!"

In his mind he just says, "EYE! Stop that. She probably feels uncomfortable enough without you glaring at her!"
    Last edited by ping; 17 Jun 2023 at 07:24 AM.

+ Reply to thread