+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherwoodshire roleplaying (companion thread)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh right, I can read the beginnings of threads as well! Forgot about that. :blush: Thanks, and sorry, I've lost track of what's where. Lots of PMs and documents full of info spread around my various repositories.

As ever, thanks for the elucidation! Italics could make good emphasis styling as well as Ogre speech.

(Actually it's Marron whose regional dialect is a bit thicker than I recalled. Between him and Woody, I felt like I walked onto the set of Emmerdale! )

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Here's the comedian Jimmy Carr cleverly covering UK accents:

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I hope nobody minds me emphasising finding + removing traps before picking locks.
    (If the trap is poisoned, there could be severe consequences.)

I was only going to mention it once, but Alf took over!

I should add that finding a mechanical trap automatically means you can remove it.
    N.B. Magical traps are removed by Dispel Magic.

In a similar way, opening a lock means you can relock it and reopen it at will.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I should explain that I award the characters experience not only for the usual (defeating monsters and acquiring treasure) but also for:

- roleplaying (both serious and entertaining)
    - converting evil-doers to neutrality (where possible)
    - making use of spells and skills both in and out of combat
    - humour, poetry, songs and sayings

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Just in case, I should say that any character is welcome to compose songs or poetry (wait until you see Alf's attempt ), but those with an existing artistic ability are free to go for quality stuff.

I note that all four of the Beatles composed very successfully!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

But the Beetle we slew is now decomposing!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    But the Beetle we slew is now decomposing!
    Tale bearer: In a thread in a message board there lived a DM.

DM: Not a nasty foul-mouthed crude thread, nor yet a dry insipid pointless thread; my thread was a roleplaying thread and that means comfort.

Tale bearer: It had a perfectly clear introduction, which opened onto a story line with side plots and characters rounded out and lots of pegs for player’s postings.

DM: Well I’m very fond of English-based puns, d’you see.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Characters combining skills

A quick clarification:
    If two or more characters combine 'overlapping' skills, then for each extra character involved there is a +20% bonus to make the skill roll.

An example from post 67 in the main thread:

DM: Marron makes a Flute roll.
    (This pleasant music gives Alf a +20% chance to use Animal Handling.)

Also this:
    Saradoc responds to Marron's suggestions - "I'm sure I could provide a suitable percussion accompaniment to your flute music. Maybe we could practise together and prepare a performance?"

Here both characters would get +20% on their skill roll...
    Last edited by glee; 13 Aug 2022 at 04:34 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Sharing a Sherwoodshire dream / nightmare

Time: Sometime after midnight
    Setting: The Round Table contains the remains of a banquet. All around the table, guests are either gazing into space or even snoring. The Keep Guards standing around the walls are struggling to stay awake.
    A standing figure is intoning an epic poem (apparently entitled ‘The saga of the defeat of the Lake Ness Monster’.)

Performer “Stanza 147 ‘The Monster makes its first appearance.’

As the trade caravan prepared to depart
    Several ripples appeared upon the vast lake
    The caravan driver gave vent to a fart
    As a huge eye through the lake surface did break.

Stanza 148 ‘More of the Monster is seen.’

(Luckily I woke up at this point!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I’m sorry if I’ve slowed the game down!
    Here’s what I’ve gathered about the party entertainment at the banquet.

Marron (Flute) and Saradoc (Drums) start off with a musical performance.
    Saradoc uses his bow to Display Weapon Prowess.
    Aislinn sings a lullaby.

Do confirm the above in the main thread if that is correct.
    N.B. If you want to use any other skills, just mention that (again in the main thread.).

You are welcome to give details if you like (e.g. explain your bow tricks or give actual lyrics), but a brief description is fine.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Actually Aislinn's writing something for Will to recite, acc. to the last few posts.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hmm... I wonder if Aislinn should go off looking for Rowena? The bard might be nearby since we seem to be stuck in the same place.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Apologies again - hopefully the adventure will now continue...

The story so far

Marron, Saradoc and Aislinn are Scouts in the newly-formed Drannasmor Security Guild, based in the City of Drannasmor. They all have Scouting skills, plus other abilities.
    They have been tasked by Lestrade (Head of Foreign Section of the Guild) to travel to the neighbouring county of Sherwoodshire and:

- impress the locals
    - find the Sherwoodshire Thieves Guild and arrange for the Guild to meet Lestrade
    - find a suitable building for a Guild HQ in Sherwoodshire

The Scouts join a trade caravan run by Will and his assistant Alf. The caravan is travelling to Versifal’s Keep in Sherwoodshire (now inherited by Versifal’s son Count Percival.) The Count also owns Sherwoodshire.

On the way, the group defeat the dangerous Lake Ness Monster (making a Trophy Shield from the body.)
    They also capture a bandit gang, who are responsible for several murders and robberies. The bandit’s loot is confiscated.
    The Scouts cleverly convert one of the gang (Woody the Ogre) from evil to neutrality - and one of the gang (Turpin) turns informer.

Arriving at the Keep, the party are met by Sir Littlejohn (Captain of the Guard) and Kitty Winter (Druid of the Keep.)
    The party are invited to a banquet to celebrate their achievements…

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Here is a list of non-player characters in the campaign

NPC descriptions

Lestrade short, lean, furtive male human Head of Foreign Section, Drannasmor Security Guild
    Will Stutely male human, dressed all in green Caravan owner (Drannasmor – Versifal’s Keep)
    Alf tubby, cheerful male human Caravan driver (Drannasmor – Versifal’s Keep)
    Lady Marian elegant, well-spoken female human Steward to Count Versifal (at his Keep)
    Sir Littlejohn very tall, burly male human Captain of Guard at Versifal’s Keep
    Count Percival courteous, distinguished male human Owns Sherwoodshire, resides at Versifal’s Keep

Kitty Winter charming, windswept female human Keep Druid
    Bishop Geraint solemn, thoughtful male human Keep Cleric
    Elaine Garlot thin, graceful female human Keep MU (trained by Merlin)
    Taliesin enegetic, jolly male gnome Keep Bard
    Bedivere tall, weather-beaten male human Keep Huntsman
    Maria young, agile female gnome Keep Jockey
    Violet thin, long-haired female human Keep Stablegirl

Walker scruffy, keen-eyed male human Explorer

Merlin elderly, white-bearded male human Head of Sherwoodshire MU Guild, based in Freeport

Mayor Tuck fat, bald, cheerful male human Head of Arthurian Tradition in Sherwoodshire

Thrimgol male gnome (magnificent moustache) Head of Arthurian Tradition in Naugrimshire

Dupperda Junior male gnome, charming, piercing gaze Naugrimshire Ambassador to Freeport (etc.)

Morgan Le Fay furtive, sly female human Mordred MU
    Last edited by glee; 11 Sep 2022 at 02:50 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thank you! That's very helpful. There'll undoubtedly be a few surprises along the way too, I expect?

More important, my condolences to all of you in the UK for the loss of an extraordinary woman who led a remarkable life. It's hard to get used to the thought of her majesty's not being a constant when one thinks of your country (and all the commonwealth countries too). As for the future, I've always been rather sympathetic towards Charles--probably atypical, but there you are--and wish him the best.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post

More important, my condolences to all of you in the UK for the loss of an extraordinary woman who led a remarkable life. It's hard to get used to the thought of her majesty's not being a constant when one thinks of your country (and all the commonwealth countries too). As for the future, I've always been rather sympathetic towards Charles--probably atypical, but there you are--and wish him the best.
    Thanks for your kind remarks about the Queen.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Players, you may like to occasionally check both the non-weapon proficiencies (NWP - see post #4 in this thread), as I may add some.
    As characters gain experience, every few levels they can select another NWP.

I will also update the list of non-player characters (NPC - see post #64 in this thread) as new folk make an appearance.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thank you! That's very helpful. There'll undoubtedly be a few surprises along the way too, I expect?

Thank you. The Queen was, as they say, something else. I have high hopes of the King .
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

I'm finding the ceremonial traditions of the realm's farewell to Her Majesty very moving and momentous--I can feel the weighty sense of centuries-old history. Watching the procession yesterday from Balmoral gave me yet another reminder of how incredibly gorgeous Scotland is! I've only been to the UK once, as a little girl, and while we lived there for about six weeks, mostly we bounced from Surrey to London to Manchester and various sites in between. Never got up north or west, alas. If someday I can return, Scotland is a must-see.

Anyway this whole process is certainly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. (Well... given King Charles's age... perhaps not. I hope not, no offense! He's got nearly 20 years on me. His family is remarkably long-lived, though, so who knows.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm finding the ceremonial traditions of the realm's farewell to Her Majesty very moving and momentous--I can feel the weighty sense of centuries-old history. Watching the procession yesterday from Balmoral gave me yet another reminder of how incredibly gorgeous Scotland is! I've only been to the UK once, as a little girl, and while we lived there for about six weeks, mostly we bounced from Surrey to London to Manchester and various sites in between. Never got up north or west, alas. If someday I can return, Scotland is a must-see.
    Scotland does indeed have much splendid scenery - rugged hills, moorland heather and lochs (including of course Loch Ness. )
    An American friend of mine spent an enjoyable week driving around visiting Scottish Castles.

P.S. You've lived in the Uk for some weeks? Aha- that explains how you speak our language!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Brief summary

Just to let players know - many thanks for the conversation, combats, conversion and concert performances!

I'm giving characters a chance to chat after the meal but will then move straight on to the examination of the bandit's loot the next morning.

Since it's already been discussed in the thread, the characters will go ahead using their Scout abilities (checking the saddlebag for traps etc.)
    (There could be some help from the Keep.)

After the distribution of treasure, there may well be a quest...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default NPC conversations

If characters talk to NPCs, I will usually try to reply quickly (rather than wait for all players to post as usual.)

Obviously in a face-to-face game, such conversations only take minutes, whereas an Internet thread can take days...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sorry for all the mistakes and forgetfulness, and thanks for reminding me! I hate being that sloppy.

FWIW I don't know if Aislinn would wear a Nimue pendant, though--too much of a commitment. I'd call her "Nimue-curious" at most. No biggie, I'll figure a way to make it work.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No need to apologise - it's quite a detailed world you are adventuring in.
    (I hope the main map helps - and you're welcome to print out the list of NPCs given earlier in this thread.)

As for the Nimue Way, a tree symbol can be relatively discreet.
    (Also Kitty was confident that Aislinn was a Nimue follower, because Kitty cast the spell Detect Balance on Woody and Aislinn was in the area of effect - showing up as full Neutral.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I have a small change to announce - Saradoc has exchanged his Scout ability to Climb for Finding + Removing Traps.

Thanks to Tim Parkes for agreeing to that - it was a mistake on my part as I always intended that the three Scouts would all have Stealth, plus between them stuff like Hear Noise, Open Locks and Finding + Removing Traps

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aislinn would start a conversation but she's been speaking far more than is her nature anyway, and I think the other companions should get the spotlight. Especially Marron/Malacandra, who's been a tad quiet lately!

OTOH if 'something' is better than 'nothing,' I'll have her pipe up.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Unfortunately Malacandra hasn’t posted for some time. I’ve tried to contact him, but no luck so far.
    Since it’s clear which treasure Marron would take, I’ll post that and thus keep the game moving.

Hopefully Malacandra will return, but otherwise I’ll have to look for a replacement player.

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's a shame! I hope he's okay and is just occupied by good things. And good luck finding another player! It's probably a rough time of year for finding people to make commitments, but maybe closer to the new year we'll be lucky.

While Aislinn was fondling her gem, I noticed that the current global financial crisis seems to have come to Sherwoodshire! In post 72 Saradoc appraised the gem at around 50 gold, while in Post 132 it's down to 25. Which should Aislinn account for? She'd better spend it before its worth shrinks to but a few coppers!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As you rightly say, this is a tricky time to find a player. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for reading the thread so closely!
    My apologies for putting the value of Aislinn's gem down as 25 / 50.
    Saradoc's successful Appraisal roll gives the exact price. The gem is worth 50 gold.

(For all jewellery and gems etc that you find, I give an initial estimate. As above, making an Appraisal roll gives you the full value.)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Gotcha, thank you for the clarification. Aislinn got fortunate there--guess her Luck stat is proving its worth. I wish I could take credit for a great memory (fat chance) but I only spotted Saradoc's original 50g Appraisal because I couldn't even remember where the gem came from, so I had to do some backscrolling just for that! I'm only now realizing I also don't recall if its appearance has been described in detail, so I'd better do some re-rereading.

I know it probably doesn't matter, but I'm OCD like that. Ask Elendil's Heir, he'll confirm I'm a real pain in the pedeshva in that regard! (Edit to add: He won't say that literally. I think he's too much a goy to use such a Yiddish term. )

omg glee, I just spotted that you and I played in a bizarre game of Mafia over on the SDMB ten years ago! (The Realm of Phere, run by askthepizzaguy, if you remember him.) Glancing through that, I'd say that was pretty much my first RPG, because I had to wear one helluva mask to get through that one! Can't believe how long ago that was.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

I haven't described the gem, so let's make it a Lapis Lazuli.
    It came from the Bandit's treasure, so they probably stole it.

Thanks for reading the thread carefully - I have spent a lot of time creating this area so there is a lot of detail!

I'm amazed we were in the same Mafia game (I think I've only played a few.)
    Interestingly the BBC are now showing a Mafia game show ('The Traitors'), which has 19 citizens and 3 traitors.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've asked a couple of people if they would like to join the game - I'll keep players posted.
    Until I hear from Malacandra, I'll play Marron - and I'll also keep the game moving by playing Walker (until I find a replacement.)

Choie and Tim, hope that's OK with you.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Of course, perfectly fine-- I hope you have some luck! (Walker isn't Strider's less certain cousin, is he? ) In my other RPG when we were running low I doubled up on characters, but that would never work with this game. At least, not with me. I already know nothing about game rules/mechanics, and it would be absurd to have two ignoramuses running around in the same party! If Tim were to double, I'd have no objection there though. Not sure if that's kosher in a more game-oriented RPG.

Anyway given that we're low, I'll tweak Aislinn's characterization a bit to make her less cautious, or at least to make her more goal-oriented vs. risk-averse. Hopefully that'll mean she won't have to be convinced too hard to go on quests.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Replacement found!

I have found a replacement, who will take over the character of Walker.
    Their username is ping.
    (Meanwhile, as I said, I will play Marron until we hear from Malacandra.)

Choie and Tim, thanks for your patience.

Choie, I'll leave it to Walker to explain any name derivation...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay! That's fantastic news, glee. Looking forward to getting to know Walker and ping, and seeing what further adventures you have in store for us.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Welcome to ping.

Many thanks to both ping for playing and choie for organising the additional poster. Both fast and efficient.

Onwards and upwards...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sorry for slowing things down by not having Aislinn jump in; I'm just waiting to see if tim gets a chance to introduce Saradoc. Aislinn is supposed to be quiet and not very interested in talking about herself. But if he's not able to by tonight (my tonight--I'm in the U.S. fyi, ping) I'll push normally reticent Aislinn to open up anyway.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No problem about posting - real life takes precedence!

Tim has been in touch with me today (GMT) and is carefully thinking about Saradoc's next post...

Registered
    Dec 2022

Hello all

For info, I worked with GLee and was a member of a couple of his in-person groups years ago. He was the first person to set me on the path of loving clerics... and then when I was a ranger he killed my beloved companion. It was a devastating moment :'( .

Anyway... past trauma aside, it is exciting to join you people for this adventure and I hope I live up to your standards

Please do say at any point if I overstep a mark or am just not interesting enough. I am very conscious of not talking too much so please do tell me if I am, or also say if you want me to do more. I have been in a few text RPGs but that was many MANY years ago (I still have the screenshots of the 90-page thread of our epic adventure in about 2002!) but please shout at me if I get stuff wrong.

I have read all of the background info from GLee and also OOC have read the previous posts in the thread, but I will obviously only use knowledge that "Walker" has, not what I've read before. Sorry if this makes you people have to repeat yourselves

Registered
    Mar 2012

Shall I still wait for Saradoc then, glee?

ping, it's a pleasure to learn a little about you and your background--thanks for that. And goodness please feel free to have Walker talk as much as he wishes! My characters are usually chatty but I'm purposely reining myself in (even if my wordcount doesn't seem like it) because I fall too far on the side of 'roleplaying' rather than playing the game and getting into the action properly. (My background's in writing/editing and only played in in-person game once, in the 1990s! Only one session, too.)

Other than that I've only been in text-based RPGs, one of which is more like shared storytelling with few if any game mechanics. Well, except for our plots and exploits being spun by a talented, inventive GM. (It's the Star Trek game, also in this forum.) Anyway my ignorance about mechanics is why I've made Aislinn uncertain of her abilities. Aislinn and I can learn skills and spells etc. together and hopefully become less ignorant in the process.

Your joining and Walker's getting acquainted with the group seems like a perfect opportunity for the party as a whole to offer up a little more about ourselves, if they want. The game still feels fairly new to me, honestly, so I don't think there's even that much that'll seem repetitive.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

choie, do go ahead!
    When I started this thread, I thought perhaps the players would each post once, then I'd summarise and give a continuation. However it's clear that it's good to keep things moving.

I may add that when Tim and I started in 1979 , our games consisted of:
    - DM gives mission, including villain
    - party go to mission, fighting wandering monster along the way
    - party defeat villain and split treasure
    - rinse and repeat!

So Saradoc is highly experienced in combat - and like me, less so in chat.

Tim will no doubt recall my character 'Thug'. I rolled very high in Strength, Constitution and Dexterity and jolly low in Intelligence and Charisma. With the Terminator films guiding me, Thug became a ruthless Fighter who literally only spoke a few words in every adventure. "Plan is good." "I go front."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Walker is welcome to discuss as much as he likes!
    After all he is new to the party - and rightly wants to know who he is going to adventure with.
    (And ping is very good at communicating...)

On a light-hearted note, Kitty is going to reveal Walker's nickname (a jolly appropriate one too ) in the thread soon - here are some alternatives that I considered:

- Walker the Baulker (blocks monsters)
    - Walker the Caulker (repairs walls)
    - Walker the Stalker (tracks monsters)
    - Walker the Walker (doesn't use horses)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thug sounds like Woody's slightly less articulate cousin.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    Walker is welcome to discuss as much as he likes!
    After all he is new to the party - and rightly wants to know who he is going to adventure with.
    (And ping is very good at communicating...)

On a light-hearted note, Kitty is going to reveal Walker's nickname (a jolly appropriate one too ) in the thread soon - here are some alternatives that I considered:

- Walker the Baulker (blocks monsters)
    - Walker the Caulker (repairs walls)
    - Walker the Stalker (tracks monsters)
    - Walker the Walker (doesn't use horses)
    I think Walker the Walker is appropriate Especially as Walker is a nickname itself. So a nickname of a nickname is brilliant

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've left messages for Tim, but he's obviously busy with real life.
    So I hope he won't mind if I repeat some information Saradoc posted earlier to keep the game moving.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ping View post
    I think Walker the Walker is appropriate Especially as Walker is a nickname itself. So a nickname of a nickname is brilliant
    As you'll see in the thread, your character was always destined to be ... Walker the Talker!

(Bring on the conversation ... )

Registered
    Dec 2022

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    As you'll see in the thread, your character was always destined to be ... Walker the Talker!

(Bring on the conversation ... )
    Sort of OOC question because I'm not familiar with your house rules or 1E (since I last played with you!), how do you deal with potions and goodberries? Walker has asked in character but I thought it might be easier to get a full explanation here without making the in-game chat awkward and rulesy! In games I have played it is usually a full action to give someone else a healing potion (ie. pour it down their throat), full action on yourself and you get max healing, bonus action you chug it and roll for the HP gained. Goodberries usually last a day? So could we pour out the potion and hand out the berries? As I say, I'm not familiar with your house rules or the 1E rules that much. Also, I think I need reminding (will go Google!) how being taken to/below 0 HP works.

I am totally being optimistic about the upcoming fight, honestly.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

ping,
    thanks for asking - I didn't want to overwhelm you all with rules at the start but am always happy to answer questions.

Here is an explanation of Potions:

- anyone can use a Potion, e.g. characters, monsters etc.

- Potions (and Scrolls - now these only be used by the appropriate character class) are both ‘one-off’… use it and it’s gone

- Druid Kitty has offered to replace any Potion the party use (by making another one.)
    N.B. It’s good to gather ingredients for her. These include plants, herbs and monster ‘bits’ (e.g. hair or scales)

- Potions can be used by being drunk (or poured down the throat of an unconscious character!), poured on the ground or thrown.
    For example you drink a Potion of Healing, pour a Potion of Goodberry out (this gives you some berries which last for one day) or throw a Potion of Fireball at a monster (throw it hard!)

Characters only have one action per round, so all Potions have the same effect – just say you are using one and I’ll announce the effect.

Badly injured characters:

- on 1hp, you can carry on as usual
    (in my campaign, this is humorously known as ‘joining the Doralis Club’ – after an elf of that name who reached 1hp several timwes!)

- with 0hp, character falls unconscious but remains on 0 until cured

-between -1hp and -9hp, character is unconscious and bleeding to death (losing 1hp / round.)
    Anyone can ‘bandage’ the character, which stops the bleeding. However a cure (or two!) is needed to bring the character back above 0hp.

- sadly on -10hp (and below), the character is dead (He's deceased; he's passed on! This character is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet 'is maker!)
    Last edited by glee; 20 Dec 2022 at 05:45 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am totally being optimistic about the upcoming fight, honestly.
    On Walker's Crag, a Dragon stirs uneasily. (heh)

Registered
    Dec 2022

Ah so we can get the Goodberries now and distribute them? Thanks for the extra info as well about getting people upright. Again, I'm here with the optimism.

+ Reply to thread