+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherwoodshire roleplaying (companion thread)

Registered
    Dec 2022

Ooooo fancy!!! I've never been (flown over it and seen it from afar from the top of a mountain in Lake Tahoe) but I'd love to visit some time. Have fun!

Registered
    Dec 2022

(I definitely have an image of the marrow that came second, by the way. I'm choosing not to post it for decency's sake. You can use your imagination but yes it definitely exists.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've arrived safely in Las Vegas and (as I said) will try to keep things moving,

Registered
    Mar 2012

Have fun! Put $5 on red for me.

Thanks for all the condolences & kind wishes for my poor computer! I was very fortunate and able to boot it up again, and am in the process of making the transfer ASAP because who knows how long I've got this thing for.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've been several times to Vegas ... and never gambled!
    I have local friends and the music, magic and comedy shows are excellent.

Really glad to hear about your computer.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    I've arrived safely in Las Vegas and (as I said) will try to keep things moving,
    Have fun!! Are you meeting friends out there? I have some friends (online) just across the border in Arizona. I'll tell them to wave at you

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, I've been here several times and it really helps to have local friends (knowing the best places; buying tickets in advance; hospitality etc.)

My hotel room is on the 18th floor, so perhaps you friends in Arizona will see me waving back...

P.S. For game purposes, Aislinn has succeeded in her Ventriloquism attempt.
    I look forward to Walker's reaction.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Apologies for wall of text

Registered
    Dec 2022

[tried to edit but there's some weird time limit so have to make a new post, sorry]

Sorry, just re-read Choie's comment again after I typed my own and I genuinely hadn't noticed the reference in the last paragraph about whether Walker might not be interested in the women. So my response was typed without realising that you'd typed that. Walker does not appear to be interested in the women. Just for info
    Last edited by ping; 29 Mar 2023 at 06:30 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Walls of text are welcome!

Registered
    Dec 2022

Walls of text are welcome!
    Hope you are enjoying Vegas!

Also hope that this fits in your world-lore, that villagers would probably have some minor cantrips - nothing higher than that - which they may have passed on between generations. I'm just thinking of the sort of cantrips that would, as I said, make the lights a little brighter or the water a little cleaner, or maybe make the fireworks display a little more sparkly. Tiny bits of magic; nothing harmful or overtly healing (beyond perhaps helping a wound to heal more cleanly). Is this ok? I just get the feeling that there would be a small current of magical ability flowing in a number of peoples' veins, and a lot of them probably don't even know it. But watching your grandma sniff at the soup and tut and then stir it, sniff it again and it's good.... or it's getting a bit dim to be able to read and your father squints at the candles and it's a little bit brighter....... that sort of magic that's just inherent in some people, and if you live in a family where that's a thing you might pick up?

If you would like no minor magics like this in the world, then this can all be passed off as Walker just talking as he tends to be doing a lot of, some or none of which may have any basis in truth

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I am enjoying Vegas!
    Every day so far has been hot and sunny ... with zero gambling by me.

I am only using a few minor magics (cantrips) - they didn't exist in 1st Edition, but it's so useful for some spellcasting player characters to have a couple of such spells.
    (These cantrips are listed in this thread; see post 5.)

So let's agree that there would be a few peasants who could use local knowledge e.g. herbs to heal or spice up a dish - but they are not actually using magic.

And Walker will undoubtedly have heard many tales and anecdotes from the farmworkers about 'minor magics' that were not actually true e.g.

- she was a witch because she stared at Old Tom and he then got a cold
    - his cow could count up to three
    - one night on the way home from the pub, he flew through the air (and landed in a ditch)
    Last edited by glee; 29 Mar 2023 at 08:48 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2022

I am enjoying Vegas!
    Every day so far has been hot and sunny ... with zero gambling by me.

I am only using a few minor magics (cantrips) - they didn't exist in 1st Edition, but it's so useful for some spellcasting player characters to have a couple of such spells.
    (These cantrips are listed in this thread; see post 5.)

So let's agree that there would be a few peasants who could use local knowledge e.g. herbs to heal or spice up a dish - but they are not actually using magic.

And Walker will undoubtedly have heard many tales and anecdotes from the farmworkers about 'minor magics' that were not actually true e.g.

- she was a witch because she stared at Old Tom and he then got a cold
    - his cow could count up to three
    - one night on the way home from the pub, he flew through the air (and landed in a ditch)

Oh yes, by all means take anything said by Walker with a very large dollop of salt. He's walked around the villages, heard some stuff, possible seen some stuff that's hard to explain, and he's just passing on that info. In his (completely non-magic mind) it's probably completely magic. Yep.

Registered
    Dec 2022

[started typing then decided email was better....!]

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think I'm going to 'park' Saradoc for the moment. (As I've said, Tim is always welcome to rejoin, but I can certainly manage with Aislinn, Walker and Marron.)

P.S. The weather forecast for Las Vegas is 'hot and sunny' - who knew?!

Registered
    Dec 2022

I think I'm going to 'park' Saradoc for the moment.
    So from your last post in the main thread, are we going to assume that Saradoc is heading back to the keep with the news and trinkets etc, and the rest of us three shall continue on, following Marron's lead with rumours of undead, cultists, bandits and the like?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, I prefer not to play Saradoc (especially as I'm already running Marron.) N.B. If Tim returns, so will our Hobbit Archer.
    As far as items go, this means I can justify having good stuff ready for you when you return to the Keep.

Of course it would be great if we roleplayed Walker joining the party.
    (Finally see the main thread for why Marron mentioned Undead.)

Registered
    Dec 2022

(Finally see the main thread for why Marron mentioned Undead.)
    Can you give me a slightly more precise pointer? There are quite a lot of pages and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I think to be honest it would probably be best as a new joiner to the party, for this to be explained to Walker.... unless it's something he's already heard about on his travels? What are your thoughts?

Either it's something he knows nothing about or maybe just rumours he might have heard, and Marron here can explain the details, or it's something he knows about already and you point me at the post detailing what he should know haha

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oooops! Sorry about that clumsy reference - put it down to jet lag (kidding - I've adjusted.)

Marron will mention Undead in the main thread.
    The sequence of events was:

- Marron trains as a Scout / Cleric in the Arthurian tradition
    - all Arthurian Clerics can turn away (or even destroy) Undead (the chance of success depends on a comparison between the Cleric's level and the level of the Undead)
    - Cleric Gawain (well-regarded in the Arthurian tradition) is ambushed by the forest bandits and killed (they take his items and feed the body to the Lake Ness Monster)
    - Gawain's most powerful item was a Holy Symbol of Turning, which meant the wielder was effectively 4 levels higher for purposes of turning away (or even destroying) Undead
    - after the party defeated the forest bandits, Marron inherited the Holy Symbol of Turning, so looks forward to using it

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh I was with ping there--I kept looking at the previous posts trying in vain to find a reference (other than Marron's abilities) to undead or The Dead Who Walk or zombies etc. So what you're saying is, this will, future tense, be of use.

ping, depending on your connection or device, maybe you'd find it less cumbersome to change the number of posts you see on a page? I think by default you see... what, 60? I know if I'm not logged in there are about 6 pages to the game thread. But logged in I've made it so I can see 200 per page. If you'd like to give that a try, you'd just click on "Settings" and then "Edit Options;" or just click this link here. Then scroll down to the post-per-page option and select what's best for you.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks to you both for being so polite over my clumsiness!

Registered
    Dec 2022

Aha, all good and explained, thank you

I'm fine with the number of posts on a page, thank you choie, it was just that I wasn't sure what I was looking for

More importantly: Sodding GLee keeps hinting that we need a party name damnit. I don't think he's going to give up.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I give up!

Registered
    Dec 2022

Dr C forced our party name upon us, I don't recall if I shared this here but I will again. Dr. C is my boss and was/is a colleague of both myself and GLee, and we ran D&D activities. Anyway, out of work, I am in a group online via Discord at some ungodly hour on a Sunday morning with Dr C as DM and a bunch of us misfits who've somehow gravitated to him over the years xD

I'm not joking, it's a group comprising of a lecturer from a university he worked with 30 years ago, 2 student teachers from Turkey and Greece (I think) who visited our school and happened to see a D&D game and absolutely LOVED it, an ex-student who played in our games while in school and is now in university.... etc. Anyways, we play on Sunday mornings online using Fantasy Grounds, and Dr C quite clearly wanted our group to have a party name, so he chose the most socially-awkward and unwilling person in the group (the ranger, as it happens) and decided that as he had a "noble bearing" and "recognisable features" and "people had talked about his daring adventures" or some such bollocks, that our group would be named after him. We are now Arofyr's Firebrands.

Whether Arofyr likes it or not.

Arofyr does not.

And let it be known that my character (the bard) most definitely does NOT like this either, and has made many a tale, ballad, song, poem all in glorious tribute to our wonderful and shining leader.

(Seriously, I got them sent to a publisher and sent him a hardback copy. Don't mess with a bard.)

((Seriously seriously, Dr C was ill recently and instead of a bland "get well" card, I put my party notes into a book lol. It was 225 pages. I called it "part i" as he's not allowed to leave use hanging mid-adventure. But yes, I put in all of the stuff that actually happened plus all of the completely made-up stuff that my bard just pulled out of their arse when it had been a quiet day and the ranger had been pissing them off by looking smug. Anyway, Dr C now has a lovely hard-bound book of 225 pages of mostly-accurate recollections of the adventures of "Arofyr's Firebrands". Grrrrrr.)
    Last edited by ping; 30 Mar 2023 at 03:20 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

1. Just to make it clear: even if the forthcoming film 'Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves'* turns out to use a party name, you lot can happily remain un-named.

*which I am really looking forward to seeing!

2. Because of some fine roleplaying, I'm adding Ventriloquism as a non-weapon proficiency (see post 4 of this thread, which lists those proficiencies.)
    So characters who have learnt this proficiency (simply by training) can use it in two ways:

- for entertainment (e.g. make statue appear to speak)
    - in combat (can distract one opponent who then misses one action)

Note that Ventriloquism can also be gained as a spell - with the same effects as above.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

On a personal note, my holiday is going well. (Hopefully I can still be accurate when running the campaign without my manuals

I recently used my first Uber and also rode in my first Tesla.

Registered
    Mar 2012

That's really fascinating, ping, thank you for that history! And what an incredibly generous, lovely gift to create for Dr. C.! That must have meant a great deal during a difficult time. (I hope he's doing better, or at least no worse.)

glee, enjoy your vacation to its fullest, I'm sure you'll be able to GM well but your own fun takes precedence! Super lucky that Las Vegas isn't being affected by any of the weird weather afflicting California.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Thanks, choie He did seem to appreciate it and is - hopefully - on the mend.

Also agreeing with choie, GLee, I think your lack of manuals won't make a huge difference given (1) your (no offence and probably no surprise to anyone) literal decades of experience, and (2) the fact that our party seem to be perfectly adept at pissing around without needing any rules checking. We're happy just bimbling around.

From an out-of-character perspective, it's clear that it makes sense for Saradoc to head back to the Keep with our news and trinkets and so on and so forth, and that if there's any news of something that needs attention that we could help with, Eye can return that to us swiftly so that we can plan the next stage of adventure, but other than that... was there a plan? I've read back through the topic before I joined but I just don't have the mental capability to figure out what ya'll was planning to do next, eg. if there was a person's plot-hook you were following, or is it just all unraveling slowly as we do jobs for the Count??

If the latter then I assume we just wait to get word back from Eye about whatever Saradoc hears from the Count. It's basically what Walker would be doing next, to be fair, whether he joins up with your group or not. He would check in at the Keep and see if there's rumours or news in the area that might need attention. Walker aside (hence OOC! - I assume that we've talked stuff between ourselves in character that we haven't typed, so it's possible by now that Walker would know what path this group was on before a dragon was foisted upon them...!) I don't know what the plans of the other people had been before we had the dragon encounter. Also, I wasn't joking about asking Kitty for top-ups, while Saradoc and Eye are at the Keep. Separately, is there anything that the rest of us need to buy/top up/repair? I get that we're in a fairly small place now so might need to head somewhere larger if we need more substantial supplies. But, again, until we get news back from the Count/Eye/Saradoc, we don't know what the problem we might be facing.

So yep. What ya'll doin'. (GLee's State-side presence is rubbing off on me, folks).
    Last edited by ping; 01 Apr 2023 at 01:58 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ping,

I echo Choie's comment about your thoughtful gift for Dr. C. (do pass on my regards - he was always helpful to me when we worked together.)

As far as the objective goes, the Scouts are on a simple mission:

- get accepted by Count Percival (done!) and the decent folk in the Shire
    - learn about Sherwoodshire (ongoing, but teaming up with Walker is a great boon)
    - find a possible HQ for a branch of the Drannasmor Scout Guild

and defeat evil wherever it rears its ugly head!

So at present Aislinn, Walker and Marron are making friends with farmers such as Giles and intending to return to Percival's Keep afterwards to claim their deserved reward.
    (Unless something happens ... heh)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Thanks for your kind remarks.
    My local friends here are making sure I have a good time (I'll send you both an e-mail summarising my first week - entitled 'Gumbo, carpet burns and beauty queens'. )

Local attractions booked include:
    - Battlebots (a personal favourite )
    - Tournament of Kings
    - Pinball museum

Oh, and the weather remains hot and sunny

Registered
    Dec 2022

@glee Walker is having no part whatsoever in an performance, unless specifically asked to tell an account of what happened. However, would it be possible, as Marron plays his flute and possible as Aislinn sings, for Eye to swoop around in a generally dramatic way. If Marron is able to cast Light on a creature, then potentially we have a shiny glowy hawk/eagle (was never sure which) doing swoops and dives over the audience.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

There's no problem with characters not performing - that's roleplaying!

So Marron (who is happy to step up*) will first cast the harmless Light spell on Walker's hawk**, then play a suitable 'bird-like' melody on his flute as the shiny hawk flutters around the room.

*As an Arthurian Cleric Marron is used to public speaking / fighting in melee / turning (or even destroying) Undead.

** Eye is a hawk (I relish the Avengers and enjoyed the Hawkeye TV spinoff a lot!)

Last edited by glee; 03 Apr 2023 at 02:40 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Characters are welcome to have a chat before retiring for the night.

N.B. Everyone feels a sense of accomplishment (Dragon-Slaying; helping out at the funeral; making the whole occasion a truly pleasant + memorable one) and this is the sort of thing that Arthur and Nimue appreciate seeing.
    So now the characters have a sense of great news ahead...

Registered
    Dec 2022

For info out of the main channel, I'm just going to say that Eye, being a bird of prey with keen sight and a decent intelligence would have picked up on Aislinn's glances and general body postures etc. When she (Eye, not Aislinn, I think!) hops onto the table she is willingly and quite obviously offering herself up for a bit of head-and-neck scratching. Walker's comment to Aislinn is just sort of said as a kind of "permission", so to speak, that it is ok to touch his familiar*. If she wants to. If she *does* want to, the still-faintly-glowing hawk would lean into the strokes and give a sort of deep-throated caw/chirp that almost sounds like a purr. She would stay with Aislinn as long as Aislinn keeps providing the pets haha. If Aislinn prefers not to approach the bird, or shies away, then Walker would do one of his signature shrugs and beckon Eye over to give her inferior neck-ruffles with his inferior hands.

Of course, Aislinn does not have to react to the bird hopping down onto the table beside her, but this was just a response to what might happen

*Not sure if anyone has read His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman), but it is VERY MUCH taboo to touch another person's equivalent-of-familiar. I recall reading the books when I was about 11 and I still remember the exact phrase (and where on the sodding page is it! I could flick to it in the book in a second!) that was used when someone touched the main character's daemon (familiar/soul creature): "Faint, dizzy sick, disgusted, limp with shock". Haha - that's a phrase that has literally stuck with me for decades. I don't know if the same would be true here in this world, but just in case, this is Walker giving his specific consent that it's ok.
    Last edited by ping; 06 Apr 2023 at 01:11 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My campaign is not quite as strict as Pullman's - but certainly damaging someone's familiar would be a huge offence. (It would also literally hurt the familiar's owner.)

So Walker inviting Aislinn to pet Eye shows great trust and is an honour.

Registered
    Dec 2022

To choie: Just wanted to say, Eye is (obviously) sentient and is also intelligent, and she has noticed your glances and perhaps judged a certain level of perhaps envy of her bond with Walker, and is trying to make a connection with Aislinn. She is her own personality so anything she is doing is (except when instructed) separate from Walker, hence his slight miffed-ness about her seeming to prefer you. It might be that she's just saying that, or if it's her being genuine. She's a bird with her own mind! Right now, she would be trying to nuzzle up with the intention of perching up on your arm, but my intention was that it is down to Aislinn to see how she reacts to this. Eye is an intelligent bird so she will read the reaction and if it's a "nope" she would just lean in to Aislinn's arm and accept some more petting if it's coming or if it's not, would head back to her usual place on Walker's arm. Sorry for the essay, just wanted to explain my reasoning .

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks! I was waiting to see if glee needed to do a check as mentioned in your post, so wasn't sure if Aislinn should respond or not.

Hey out of curiosity: I don't know how PC/Familiar roles work in RPGs (maybe it depends on the GM's house rules)--does the player get to interact as the Familiar too, not counting skills/actions that need GM or NPC input? Or is the Familiar considered an NPC governed by the GM?

Seems right that the PC/Familiar get to interact courtesy of the player herself, especially when we're not all reacting "live" the way we would in a regular TTRPG situation. It'd take forever for Walker to ask Eye a question and wait for GM interaction.

Anyway it's very courteous of Walker and Eye to let Aislinn have a little animal companionship! Thanks for that, ping.

Registered
    Dec 2022

I'm not sure how GLee plays it, but in other games I've had a familiar in, it's generally sort of an extension of the player. In that I (Walker in this case) can tell/ask my familiar to do a task eg. scouting ahead, following someone, looking for something... and if it's something I (as the player) wouldn't know about then the GM would inform me what my familiar sees. But it's generally (again just from previous games) basically part of the player, and controlled by the player. Depending on the form of the familiar I have certainly been looking through the eyes of a mouse familiar as they snuck through a castle in the past! The regular Find Familiar spell allows the caster to choose the form of their familiar, but I am not sure how GLee has made Eye. As you say, it would take forever in text format for the GM to have to act out the familiar, so I would personally prefer if it's down to the player to direct what the familiar does, because (in my head, anyway) that's basically what a familiar is.

In answer (out of character) to your (in character) question, I don't know how long Walker has had Eye, we'll need to wait for our GM to stop enjoying himself in Vegas to answer that! All I know is that Kitty put the spell of Find Familiar into a potion, I believe, that allowed Walker to cast the spell and summon Eye. I don't know the mechanics of how GLee would like to continue this, as I suspect that Walker was originally an NPC - helpful ranger with a hawk - and I don't know as a PC how the spell as such works, and if it works like the normal Find Familiar. For example, as a regular spellcaster if my familiar was "bamf"ed out then I could re-summon it with time. I don't know how that will work with the hawk as she was a gift via a bottled spell from Kitty, and Walker himself doesn't have magic. If something happened to her, I don't know if she would come back automatically or if I would have to go get another potion from Kitty, or if she's just gone for good, and also if she can change form. GM has answers!

GLee also will be able to say how long Eye has been around with Walker, before I reply to you in the main channel - I get the impression from the notes I've been given that Walker's been around the Keep and the area for a while and that Kitty "gave" him Eye after he'd been helpful for a while I guess. As I say, we need to wait for our Glorious Leader to return with answers!!
    Last edited by ping; 10 Apr 2023 at 06:00 AM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

A Familiar is a normal animal that is empowered by the spell Find Familiar to have a magical ink with the spell caster. The caster can see and hear through the Familiar’s senses whenever desired (as long as the two are in line of sight) and the pair are also telepathic.
    The Familiar is completely loyal (but has normal animal behaviour.)
    The caster will cherish their Familiar (as they can only have one at a time and take damage if their Familiar is injured. Losing a Familiar is jolly serious, since the damage is permanent! (eek) Also the whole spell would need to be recast…

Walker has had Eye for a couple of years. (Druid Kitty used a Potion to cast the spell.)

By comparison, the spell Animal Friendship gives the caster a loyal animal companion – but there is no magical ‘link’ as with a Familiar. Instead the caster can immediately teach their friend three one word commands (such as ‘Guard’ and ‘Attack’.)
    Last edited by glee; 11 Apr 2023 at 01:44 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2022

To choie: I just wanted to add that, conversely to my previous message xD Eye's action there was NOT controlled by or initiated by me! That is all on GLee, and you can react however you see fit, whether in-character you think Walker asked her to peck at the bandage or not, but out-of-character just wanted to let you know that it was nothing to do with me at all! I don't mind how it plays out but just wanted you to know

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aw no sweat, ping. I'd figure that if you/Walker had initiated the move, you'd've written it up in your post. In exposition posts I assume a higher power is at work and responsible for Eye's hijinks.

Registered
    Dec 2022

GM question: In-character Walker literally has no idea if what he is suggesting for Aislinn is possible with Kitty's potions or other means. He has seen Kitty do amazing things like healing and granting him a familiar, and has seen other simple magics that can change appearance for example, so he - in-character - is just thinking straight away that Druid Kitty might be able to help. Out-of-character I don't know if there is a way we could get her to cast something or make something to make Aislinn more comfortable, and I suspect there's probably something, but in-character Walker has no sodding clue. So he would like to suggest, when we return to the keep, with Aislinn's permission, that he either get Kitty to look at Aislinn's face, or if Aislinn isn't happy to reveal, pretend it's "for a friend" and ask for a potion or poultice or something that would cover up a facial scar/injury/tattoo.

That was my plan of action, anyway. No doubt will be derailed by a dragon or something!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I appreciate your skillful playing of Walker.
    He has great local knowledge, reconnaissance through Eye and front-line fighting ability.
    However he has never been trained in magic - but you can safely leave that to others...

So of course Walker is welcome to speak to the reliable Druid Kitty (and out-of-character I can hint that with both Marron and Aislinn herself both casters, something may turn up! )

P.S. I do like a bit of derailing.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Hah, sounds fun

I would like to continue playing Walker as complete magic-non-literate. He's seen stuff Kitty can do, he's seen I think something from Marron (berries and I think a spell), and from Aislinn the mysterious and undependable wolf and a suspicion of something more, but in general magic is something that is far from him; it's something other people can do or bestow, so he wouldn't have any idea whether what he is suggesting Kitty might do would be a thing Aislinn herself might be able to do, or Marron. From Aislinn he's seen almost no magic at all, aside from an impromptu wolf, I don't think he's see her cast. So his suggestion of Kitty is just him thinking of the one reliable person who has used magic in front of him several times. That's just my thoughts anyway I would like it to be that Walker is basically as magically-grade U as it's possible to be.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ha yes, that all makes sense to me. We made Aislinn a bit backwards in recalling her magic abilities too, mostly because I'm backwards at AD&D mechanics, as I think I mentioned in my PM. So Marron is undoubtedly the best equipped of the threesome. Er, foursome if we include Saradoc. Or a fivesome w/Eye.

It sounds like you're much like me, ping, in that you're cool w/having your character ignorant of certain things. I've only played one game and two PCs before--but hey, I've done it for 10 years so that hopefully adds some XP, heh--and I try to play abiding by the rule that neither of my PCs know anything they wouldn't believably know in-game.

That includes any info that I (choie) learn in the course of the adventures that Aislinn hasn't seen/heard directly... well, unless it's truly likely that she could figure it out for herself. Same with discussions here in the companion thread, or any stuff that crops up in various future plans between GM & players. I am absolutely fine with Aislinn being ignorant, or screwing up right and left, or telling falsehoods (inadvertently or purposely), or even hurting someone, as long as it's in character.

So if Marron or Walker or Eye or whoever has some secret or is going through something that I know about, I do my best not to magically give Aislinn a brainstorm or action that implies extraordinary luck or insight that realistically she doesn't have. I know sometimes other PCs want to go through their challenges without an easy out.

For example, if a PC (or NPC) has been carried off and is fighting some baddie in a quarry, something Aislinn is unaware of, she won't conveniently just decide spur-of-the-moment, "hey I've nothing better to do, I think I'll go to the quarry."

(Ideally I'm hoping the exposition will sometimes follow that rule... that we're not told that Aislinn suddenly has the urgent desire to skip down to the quarry to collect some shale... or that she's not met by a random messenger running out of nowhere to exclaim "we need several pieces of quartz, Aislinn, please race to the quarry ASAP!"

Now, if the villain walks casually into the inn and he's described as having rock-related dust on his boots and pebbles in his hair, and she knows the PC/NPC had gone off to fight the villain, then that's info I can use! Aislinn will hopefully put 2 + 2 together and hasten to the quarry.

Far as I'm concerned y'all are on your own! And hey the same goes for Aislinn if she's the unlucky one off in the quarry.)

(Unless we've planned for this behind-the-scenes! Also, styles differ and if it's deemed necessary to do otherwise, that's not my call of course.)

At least this is the sort of RPing I love most! Makes things more challenging & (to me) interesting. Does this make some sense or am I crazy to have this preference?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I completely agree with characters not knowing something only the player would know.

Also I try very hard not to have absurd reasons for characters to act!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OK, I am going to start the storyline that Aislinn suggested - please feel free to post whenever your character would join in.

(P.S. It is jolly exciting for me to be co-ordinating between Las Vegas, Eastern USA and East Midlands, England. )

Registered
    Mar 2012

Jumpin' Jehosephat what the heck is this manservant screaming about?! Talk about a drama queen. Aislinn's not that ugly.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It was more of a squeal than a scream - he is a sensitive chap.

Registered
    Dec 2022

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Jumpin' Jehosephat what the heck is this manservant screaming about?! Talk about a drama queen. Aislinn's not that ugly.
    It was more of a squeal than a scream - he is a sensitive chap.
    Well, considering when I emailed GLee to ask if Walker would recognise the scream as Aislinn's voice, he informed me that it "definitely sounds female, but not Aislinn's", I'd agree that if I find it's a manservant I think Walker would be slightly bemused haha. He is definitely expecting a damsel-in-distress, not some drama queen bloke who's scared of a small woman!

+ Reply to thread