+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Dale in the Fourth Age: Session One, "DEWy-eyed novices"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Briagha gasps in horror, and sags visibly. "I know those horns like I know my own fingers and thumbs," she says, "but how...? Orcs, you say, but there's a story here, surely, and when you say 'foul magic', I can see there's something in back of this.

"We've spent years in comfort thinking such things were gone from the world, ever since the great battles sixty years ago and the news from far away. And now they're come again? That's ill luck for all of us. Well, but this is no time for those to be enemies that ought to be friends, and it's plain that I did wrong by yon Eagle you spoke of. I'd make amends if I could, and at least I'll not repeat the offence; indeed, I'd look to have the creature's favour, if it's a forgiving sort."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I expect it would be," Eli says, "and I only wish we had brought you back better news today, ma'am."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Arewe nods in response to the shepherdess's words and remarks, "Perhaps we should arrange the meeting; I believe we are now in a position to offer the great Eagle the assurance he wished."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rowena echoes Arewe's nod, distracted. She was hoping for some sort of reward for their troubles, but can't think of a way to hint at it--and she certainly doesn't want to say anything more direct. And there's no chance Westerly will thank them in any tangible way either.

Well, it can't hurt to have an Eagle in one's debt... or, she muses, having others learn of such a rare and hopefully impressive accomplishment. Already the seeds of a story have been planted in her mind, something to spread lauding their perilous journey.

Glad the others don't know her thoughts, she clears her throat. "Um... do we know how to find him? I doubt we'll just bump into him, and we can't exactly send a messenger to the nearest aerie." Her gaze suddenly shifts to Gade, and more specifically, the little owl nearby. "Oh! I guess we could. Would Aster be able to help us?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom gives a sudden start. "I've just remembered - Westerly said to summon him by lighting a fire with white smoke!"
    Tom turns to Briagha. "We can bring Westerly the Giant Eagle here if - with your permission - we light such a fire. May we do so?"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rowena nods and reminds herself to keep silent. Tom's astonishing memory is another reason why he's become the leader of the group. She glances at Aster and gives a one-shoulder shrug, as if commiserating. Maybe next time.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Briagha is happy to point out a place where a large bonfire will do no harm, and is well able to provide you with plenty of greenstuff that should smoke as you wish.

Aster seems less disappointed than Rowena was expecting, and watches the preparations with avid interest, as far as it is possible to read an owl's emotions.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

While waiting for the bonfire signal to take effect, Tom asks Briagha if she is interested in buying some Orc Scimitars or some jewellery.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eli smiles a little to himself as he awaits, with hope, the return of the great eagle.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Briagha comments "My lads would be more apt to cut themselves with orcish ironmongery, thank you. We've spears and the like for the weaponshow, if Dale calls. As for jewellery and such gewgaws, I've little need for 'em, nor much to offer in trade except the best sheep cheese in twoscore leagues." She laughs. "Likely the merchants and suchlike in Dale will offer you coin more to your taste."

The smoke quickly builds into a lofty pillar trailing away on the breeze, and after some minutes a black dot can be clearly seen at a great height. It begins to descend in wide circles, and soon is visibly bird-shaped. The keener-eyed party members are able to discern very soon that this is indeed Westerly. The Eagle surveys the scene carefully, then glides in for a graceful landing. It casts a piercing eye over the group, and waits for someone to speak.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Surprisingly Bruno speaks up, "Greetings Westerly, we have proved your innocence and slayed the culprits. The lady of the farm has something to say to you."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom is happy to let Bruno explain and simply bows towards Westerly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eli, too, will simply bow, once again a bit in awe of the massive and majestic bird.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

"Aye, well," says Briagha, "I'll not deny it -- these good folks have shown up good proof that I was in the wrong, and it was orcs all along. Seems I shot you without fair cause, sir Eagle, and I'm glad for you to come and go as it pleases you henceforward; at any rate, none on this farm shall have leave to raise a weapon against you, no more will I."
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Provided Westerly accepts the gracious apology, Tom will ask the Eagle to inspect the orc-ram head. Does Westerly know anything about the magic involved?
    Tom continues by asking both Briagha and Westerly if they recognise the words 'Lone Rock', 'Grey Wolf' and 'Sky Blue' (which were spoken by some evil Orcs in the caverns.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Neither Briagha nor the Eagle seem to recognise any of the phrases. Briagha remarks that she doesn't know the geography of the hill country where you found the orc lair, nor anything about wolves except the need to keep them away from sheep -- which hasn't been a concern for many years, and she was hoping it would stay that way.

As for Westerly, he graciously informs you that the doings of orcs -- or, for the most part, Men or even Elves -- aren't something he pays much attention to, although if he should spy any of the goblin-kind about their mischief then he will gladly encourage them to be elsewhere. "However," he adds, "since you have been most helpful, and may have some use for a little trifle in my possession than I do, I cheerfully make you this gift."

He hoots softly -- a strange sound for an Eagle to make -- and Aster flies to him eagerly and examines the depths of Westerly's breast plumage, emerging with a sizeable gem that glitters rufous in the afternoon sun. It is perhaps the single most precious thing that most of you have ever seen, although there are many treasures in Thain Peregrin's hall that are collectively worth a good deal more.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom exclaims excitedly "Westerly! Wow! Thank you from all of us!"

He asks Gade to get Aster to pass the gem to him - as Tom is 'the party treasurer'.

Next Tom suggests to the party that they make their way back to Dale - for two reasons:

- gather information about the orc leaders and their coded references
    - sell the Jewellery and Scimitars (if there's enough profit, the party could buy Bruno better armour etc.)

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eli, also impressed, adds his thanks to Tom's for the eagle's very generous gift. He is agreeable to Tom's suggestion that we now return to Dale.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Returning to Dale is easily done especially with Briagha's advice on the quickest, safest way, and the adventurers are able to set about converting their recent gains into cash and useful gear without much ado. A little to their surprise, though (and even after Rowena has asked around among her informed if not quite respectable friends as to the value of a sizeable red gem of good clarity and colour), they are able to realize only 600 gp on Westerly's gift. It seems as though the market for precious stones is a little depressed at the moment, as though the various jewel-traders have been offered more wares than usual and have less coin in their coffers. The affliction doesn't seem to have spread to the weaponsmiths, though, who do offer the going rate for a small collection of slightly used orcish scimitars of small to medium size, and even orcish hacksilver is still silver and worth its weight in metal.

The upshot is that everyone comes away with 150 gp to their name after the bargaining is done, which will net Bruno a slight armour upgrade for a start (chainmail is easily found in Dale even to fit a Man of Bruno's stature, and is worth an extra point of armour bonus). While enquiries are being pursued concerning the names and places referred to earlier, the party can also reflect on having attained second level on the strength of their successful completion of their mission... even though the pilgrimage foundered early on. Ah well, maybe another time.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

From elation to disappointment--that journey isn't unfamiliar to Rowena, as she mulls over the excitement of getting the utterly unexpected reward from Westerly, followed shortly by the frustratingly low sum it earned them. Especially once divided up.

She's parted from the others, ambivalent about what to do next. The rest seem determined to go after this orc/ram mystery. Rowena's not so sure. The sight of blood, not just that of her wounded comrades but from the orcs and those creepy human-plant hybrids... It's not something she'll forget. She's hoping a mug of hot cider will take such thoughts away. Maybe several mugs.

Most of all, whether she ever sees the adventurers again to expand her horizons--or if she instead resigns herself to a life relating other people's legends, or singing songs fit for children in nurseries--she is a musician in need of an upgrade. Her fiddle now has negative connotations for her. It's worse for wear but not without value; it should fetch a reasonable sum either in coin or as part of a trade... if she's a good enough negotiator. As she usually is.

With all this, there's something else that's been nagging at her since watching the others buy their scrolls and potions and weapons and whatnot from one trader in particular. An item on a shelf behind the merchant... it's been nagging at her.

She retraces her way to the shop and, without much preamble, sets the fiddle and bow on the merchant's table. "Fine kit, hardly used," she says, with her most charming smile and confident demeanor. She tilts her head so it's within the warmth of a sunbeam from outside, turning her hair a fiery copper-gold. "As you can see, I've kept it in good shape and the sound is unequaled. I'll play a pretty tune for you, if you like. Anyway, I'd like to sell, or trade for another instrument, if you've got anything worthwhile."

Rowena's gaze sweeps across the shelves, both looking for an instrument--a lute or mandolin would do nicely--and trying to find the item she could've sworn she recognized earlier today. All she'd noticed was the hilt of what must have been a sword. But even that small glimpse was enough to trigger a frown of memory. The worn leather, the tooled letters just barely visible from this spot... It couldn't be what she thinks it is. Could it?

She spots it and immediately points. "And that. Can I see that... sword, I think it is?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Amis, a merchant not unacquainted with Rowena and her set generally, courteously brings the sword within easy viewing distance although keeping a professionally firm grasp upon it. Partly drawn from its scabbard, the blade bears familiar runes; dwarvish lettering that she recognises and reads well enough. "From the forge of Korin son of Ginar. Piece seven of twenty." It is a blade that she knows well.

Whether or not Amis recognises anything in her reaction, he also directs her towards a beautifully-made lute with a black walnut belly and mother-of-pearl inlay that, when casually strummed, has a tone to rival anything she has ever heard. Though there is no hint of ensorcelment about the lute, it was clearly the work of a crafter who knew their trade exceedingly well, and though the price demanded is a full hundred coins, she knows that it is not over-priced at that.

Even allowing for a fairly-priced trade-in on her old gear, Rowena is able to reckon up that the lute and a light chain shirt -- better than her leather jerkin, if she must go in harm's way again -- would reduce her once more almost to penury. But the sword... Amis murmurs apologetically that nothing less than two thousand coins would suffice, even for one of Korin's early essays in the craft.

OOC: A Masterwork Lute would add +2 to a Perform (String) check. This doesn't affect inspire courage and the like but might have other effects, such as countersong and the ability to use the Perform skill to stand in for Bluff or Diplomacy.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Rowena bites her lower lip in thought. She longs for the lute, rarely having seen such a fine instrument. The chain shirt... Whatever her future, the first-hand knowledge of danger has taught her that protection is necessary. But I can play the odds to make sure I stay safe. I can perform bardly duties in one city, one town, even one tavern if it comes to that.

It's cowardice, but she's too shaken by the weapon nearby to care. "I'll take them... if you can see your way clear to just a few coins less for the shirt? I'd like to buy some friends a round or two." Or three... just for herself. "Please? You're welcome to join us, if you've time." She offers another smile, less bright but more intimate. Her attempt to cajole Amis isn't quite as powerful as before, but she does the best she can.

Meanwhile she edges back toward the sword on the table. Her fingers brush tentatively over the sword's hilt, remembering how it feels, remembering the strong hand that should be the only one touching it. "It's a beautiful sword," she says softly. "I--I can't take it just yet."

Yeah. 'Just yet.' When and how can she ever earn, borrow or steal enough to pay for this?

Whatever Amis replies, she'll make the trade for the extraordinary lute and the chain shirt. But before she heads out--planning to aim straight for the tavern--she pauses and turns back from the door, nodding her chin at the sword. "Can you tell me... Do you... do you remember how long you've had this? Who sold it?"

OOC: Ah, thank you! That's very helpful!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eli, wandering through the market in Dale for awhile on his own, sees Rowena and comes over. His keen Hobbit ears hear a bit of what has already been said. He murmurs, "Need some extra money? Call it a loan, if you will not take a gift, my lady."

Registered
    Mar 2012

While keeping the door open, Rowena turns to find Eli. Though she's surprised, she realizes she shouldn't be. He's already proven himself to be highly skilled at reconnaissance and sneaking around--which she considers a compliment, not an insult. She can't be shocked that he heard her exchange.

Still, she flushes a little at his offer. "Thanks, Eli, that's... um, that's really kind. But unless you've two thousand spare coins to hand out, I don't think I can ask for a gift or a loan. But thanks," she repeats, smiling. "After this I'm off to the nearest tavern. Want to join me?" Rowena looks hopefully back at Amis. "And possibly my friend here, too, if he's feeling some thirst, and... is also a bit generous as well?"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom has just finished buying his scrolls and potion when he spots Rowena and Eli at Amis' shop.
    Having found the exact items he wanted and agreed new cantrips with Rowena, Tom is especially cheerful.

Strolling over, he gathers that the Bard needs some money for a sword and happily offers to chip in - until he finds out the cost is in the thousands!
    He reassures Rowena that if the party keep doing well, that sword will eventually be hers and offers instead to buy a round of drinks to celebrate the party's advancement.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Two thousand is just a bit beyond my means right now, Rowena," Eli says, taken aback by the sum but doing his best to hide it. He smiles at her and at Tom. "Hopefully Tom is right, and you'll be able to afford such a fine blade on your own before too long. For now, I could certainly wouldn't mind bending my elbow with you in the nearest tavern."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Amis turns down the drink with professional courtesy and returns the rune-scribed sword to the rack. A tavern is not hard to find, and service is especially prompt once Tom dips into his coin purse and brings up a handful of shining silver. Some of the drinkers know Rowena well enough to be amused at the sight of her struggling a little to come to terms with wearing a coat of steel rings, but they also admire the polished lute she is carrying and are not slow to ask for a song.

...Which more or less concludes this first thread, and the new one will be along shortly
    Librarians rule, Oook

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bruno follows the others to the tavern. Orders 3 meads and a meal and after downing the first mead speaks up, "Uh, I think I'll be leaving now. I didn't really set out to be an adventurer. The work is too dangerous. You keep safe. It has been interesting, but very painful."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom thanks Bruno for his bravery and wishes him well.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"G'bye," Rowena calls out, raising her mug of rather strong cider before taking another swig. Only slightly less loudly, she adds, "And a belated 'you're welcome' for the healing stuff!" which echoes from within the depths of the thick ceramic--along with a soft hiccup followed by a giggle.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Eli takes Bruno by the hand and says, "Thank you for all you did to help our party, and I wish you all the best as you go down life's many roads. Stand tall, be well and may the Evenstar light your way."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Arewe joins in the chorus of thanks to Bruno and adds "Now I'll step up to the front line if needed."

+ Reply to thread