+ Reply to thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Middle-Earth roleplaying (Fourth Age, roughly contemporaneous with Jim's)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've got both Tom and Arewe, thanks.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Bruno is prepared to either depart or become a secondary background character that doesn't talk much.
    Beecher the Ranger Archer is ready to join whether recruited or if fate intervenes.

One idea, Beecher could be following the party that slayed the weird orcs that he had been tracking and observing a bit.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Welcome to Beecher!

(Tom is ready to say whenever the party sees a stream... "I say, Beecher! Is that your brook?"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    Welcome to Beecher!

(Tom is ready to say whenever the party sees a stream... "I say, Beecher! Is that your brook?"
    I don't get it I'm afraid.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In a top English horse race (the Grand National), there's a fence called Beecher's Brook.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Got my sheet, thanks, and welcome to Beecher!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey, do I get OOG-XP for doing the research on Pathfinder card games, decks and even blasphemous uses thereof?

(I suppose I should've looked up Middle-earth card games etc. but I wasn't sure there'd be anything that could be used by a con artist.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

OOC: just testing

Registered
    Sep 2009

Test result nominal.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Given that we think a local gang has attacked someone, is there an authority in Dale that the party should report to?
    Or should we try to sort it ourselves?

Registered
    Mar 2012

^^ The man asks a good question.

Rowena, who's lived in Dale for a while now, knows (or should know) more about the place than I do. To Malacandra -- when questions like Tom's crop up, should I perform a knowledge check, may I ask you in PM, or just wait for you to include the answer in exposition (or via an NPC like Dan)?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(Aside: Sorry all, I have been quite busy lately and really tired. Will try to gee myself up in a day or two.)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hope you get some rest, Malacandra! Take care of yourself.

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    Eli rubs his chin and echoes Tom's question, directing it the wounded man. "Would you suggest we report this attack to the Town Watch or other local authority, sir?"
    LOL. I only had Rowena respond to Tom's question just to add something to boost the signal a bit, as we'd gone dark. Couldn't give a direct answer (see above) so she just had to waffle.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Malacandra,

sadly we live in tricky times - please take the all time you need.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, indeed!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well things in Dale may be a tad moribund, but I hope everyone has a wonderful, happy, safe, healthy, peaceful holiday! It's also the 20th anniversary of the LOTR trilogy, so let's celebrate that as well.

Poor Anna Kendrick... good sport though.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Merry Christmas, Happy New Years, Happy Holidays.
    Happy 20th Anniversary of The Fellowship of the Ring.

That video was pretty awesome. Is Anna part Elvish? She doesn't seem to be aging?
    Last edited by What Exit?; 24 Dec 2021 at 03:37 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

that was a great way to celebrate the Anniversary!

Merry Xmas everybody - and may it be a better year to come.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hear, hear!

I'm going to be traveling with my family for a few days and may have spotty Internet access. I should be back online on Dec. 30. Thanks!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hope everyone else has had a good Christmas -- mine has been excellent with four and a half days off work, too much good food and a giant helping of sleep. Back for a couple of days and then another long weekend for New Year. In the meantime there is an update to events in Dale...
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm watching the extended version of The Fellowship of the Rings.

In honor of my friend that just passed from COVID. We started playing D&D together in 1977.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

A decade ago, my roleplaying group watched the extended version in full over a weekend.
    Sadly we too have lost members over the years (we started in 1979), but there are many happy memories.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Very sorry for your loss, Jim. Rewatching in his or her honor is a lovely way to pay tribute.

I guess the longer we participate in stuff like these RPGs, the greater the sad chance that we'll lose some members of own fellowships along the way. Over in the ST:RPG, we lost one of our friends five years ago. (Damn we should have done something to mark that...)

As an aside, my most active thread on the Straight Dope was, not surprisingly, LOTR-based. I'd wondered if I would enjoy the films even without having read the books,* and this ended up with me watching and asking tons of questions to get some more context of stuff I didn't understand.

* Spoiler alert: Hell yeah I did!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I'm watching the extended version of The Fellowship of the Rings.

In honor of my friend that just passed from COVID. We started playing D&D together in 1977.
    Man, that bites. A friend of mine I knew from a university RPG group I used to hang with died two years ago after short tussle with a really aggressive motor neurone disease. We're none of us getting younger, but it was too soon anyway.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Very sorry to hear that, my friends. My condolences to all those who've lost gaming chums, and others, recently.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes indeed. But while we have time, let us who are alive and well rejoice in our good fortune... and meanwhile, events are moving in The Shambles. Happy 2022, all!
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

Most definitely, and thanks. May we all have a happier, healthier New Year.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes, Happier New Year (if you see what I mean!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

I hope Tom doesn't come over as overbearing in the game thread - he's just worried that Rowena is badly injured...

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh no, thank you! I don't know how I missed the healing potion offer, it's in boldface and everything!

Rowena's as clueless as I am (one of the reasons I'm playing her) so just as she doesn't know how to purposely heal herself, neither do I. So whatever's happening as she puts her hand over her wound, it'll be new to both of us.

Also, Malacandra, is it apparent enough when she's trying to use one of her Bardy skills? Such as trying to win over the attackers' trust via bluffing or oratory? I can be more diligent about finding a way to include the specific skill if it's too nebulous.

Also also: I edited Rowena's earlier post to reflect the proper weapon she's holding. Her sword's long, not short. (It's her bow that's short; I knew I saw "short" somewhere!)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom is relieved he did not give offence.
    He does feel Rowena should get some healing immediately.

(Tom didn't understand that the Bard was cleverly trying to influence our opponents - if such future text could be highlighted in some way, that would help Tom!)

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    Her sword's long, not short. (It's her bow that's short; I knew I saw "short" somewhere!)
    [Crocodile Dundee ON] Call that a sword? This is a Sword! [Crocodile Dundee OFF]

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    Tom will signal the party to carefully follow our scout, organising an order of Eli, Beecher (bow shots over Eli's head!), Gabe (for the light + melee), Tom (spells), Rowena (Bard stuff) and Arewe (rearguard.)
    As the party set off, Tom whispers to Rowena "nice heal - do you want to hang on to the curing potion?"
    The vagueness of this genuinely cracks me up. (It's pretty much what I would've written, so no insult taken!) She needs to find some way of being of use, 'cause otherwise she's as valuable as a one-legged man at an ass-kicking contest.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,
    I don't want to tell everybody what to do (although the marching order seemed an acceptable suggestion once Eli led the way!)
    Beecher already had his bow ready; similarly Gabe with his light-emitting Staff.
    So I genuinely wanted to let you play Rowena (who is undoubtedly much more like a one-legged man at a hopping contest*.

*I really hope this comes over as a)mildly amusing and b) a compliment to the Bard...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Hi there choie, if there's a skill you want to use then mention it in an ooc block -- if I see something that looks like a shout-out to a skill check then I will pick it up if I can.

I'm happy to play along with Rowena's bewilderment at finding her desire to be able to heal wounds suddenly working. In game terms you just levelled up and learned a new spell, but this will mean different things to different people. Tom also has a wild talent which he's still trying to come to terms with but he does have some idea of how he's trying to make sense of the mysterious elvish letters that dance frustratingly through his sight, whereas Rowena is still trying to blame things on "just coincidence" or "anyone could do that if they just focussed on it a bit more" I expect that as time goes by she will gradually bow to the inevitable, though.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks to both of you, as always. Yes, Rowena is already at war with her own common sense. I'm not even sure what constitutes 'common sense' in a world where thinking one has supernatural powers is actually reasonable and, indeed, factual.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom can understand Rowena's amazement - he's gone from standing in a bog cutting peat to unleashing magical forces!

Registered
    Sep 2009

"And I think to myself, what a wonderful world...."

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Jolly fine research, that Bard - yes that must be the 'dust'!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kudos to Rowena, and I bet she's right.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks guys, hope you're right. TBH my brain followed exactly the same path that Rowena's did!

Registered
    Sep 2009

This might be of interest, as to Amazon's upcoming Second Age series: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ies-first-look

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I continue to enjoy Choie's roleplaying - Tom does lean towards the aggressive choice and Rowena provides a balance....

Registered
    Mar 2012

Aw thanks glee. She's not a great judge of motive, and has an exaggerated sense of the impact of talking in confrontations. One day she'll learn. Maybe. I don't know if her hesitancy to use her weapon vs. attempting to talk her way out of situations counts as "flat-footed" in RPG-lingo, but if so, that's Rowena.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

No, "flat-footed" is quite specific - a mere reluctance to engage in violence doesn't have any impact
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

(While Rowena is not well acquainted with criminal haunts in Dale, this definitely looks to her as though they have intruded on the private business of someone engaged in unlawful activity, so there's that to set against "barged in uninvited")
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Sure, she's aiming her words at the baddies in hopes of placating them. (Ro's looking at the gang when she says this, not her fellow adventurers. I probably wrote that poorly and didn't make it clear enough.)

Also, general crime prevention isn't part of her agenda, at least not at this stage of her development. She'll leave that sorta thing to the lawful good crowd.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Oof, have I really left you guys hanging this long? I am so sorry. Really having trouble motivating myself at the moment, I had no intention of ghosting you
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    Oof, have I really left you guys hanging this long? I am so sorry. Really having trouble motivating myself at the moment, I had no intention of ghosting you
    It is a weird time, a very weird time.

I'm playing my live game tonight. We're rotating GMs which is fun. So after 2 sessions I now get to play.

My Game Room with my Daughter's game setup.

Also the 3D resin printer area in my basement. I've been printing figures and other D&D stuff.

And not for D&D:
    Last edited by What Exit?; 13 Mar 2022 at 01:31 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Looks good! I've not had a chance to play since New Year but it's only a couple of weeks to our next session (this one via Zoom, the next one a couple of months later will be FTF). We're playing a Pathfinder campaign called Return of the Runelords and I am playing a druid who is heavily into shapeshifting... it's a ton of fun

Anyway, the latest post is up now.
    Librarians rule, Oook

+ Reply to thread