+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Middle-Earth roleplaying (Fourth Age, roughly contemporaneous with Jim's)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    As I understand it, Toppling Magic Missile uses a 2nd level spell slot?
    It would, but Tom has the Trait that reduces the metamagic cost of Magic Missile (and only that spell), so the first +1 metamagic is free, although it does use up your Move as well as your Standard action to cast it.

Otherwise I'd have recommended a different feat for Tom's build rather than one that could not kick in before fourth level.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Aha! So I can cast Toppling Magic Missile as a 1st level spell?!

I'm sorry to reveal ignorance , but I find the round actions (Standard, Free, Move, Full-Round, Swift, Immediate) rather confusing.
    So I'll stick to giving Tom's casting actions and trust you to interpret them!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

Of course Malacandra is the DM who knows all - but as far as I know anyone can just drink the potion. We can also pour it down the throat of an unconscious (i.e. 0hp or less) comrade and it will help revive* them.

*unless they are actually deceased

Registered
    Mar 2012

Unless I'm misreading my character sheet, Rowena doesn't have any curing/healing ability. Unless that's inherent in a Bard? It's not listed under Ro's innate abilities, and I didn't have the chance to pick one as a bonus. (I'd definitely want some healing-related skill in the future though, if the opportunity arises.)

She does have a +7 in Magic Devices, so that'd be useful for the potion I guess? (Or can anyone use a potion if they have it?) Ah glee answered me already, thanks!

Her only health-related skill will only come in handy if someone is in very dire straits indeed. Fortunately that hasn't cropped up yet.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, glee has it right - anyone can drink a potion and anyone on 0 or less hit points can have one fed to them. Use Magic Device is more useful when you get your hands on a wand that fires a spell that you don't actually know how to cast -- and in the right place it can be a very useful skill indeed.

Not all spells can be made into potions; typically those that can spells that could be cast on a friend. Thus mage armour exists in potion form, but shield, which specifically affects only the caster, does not.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks as always, Malacandra and glee. Y'know, I can't help but be gratified that I had the forethought, unintentional though it was, to make Rowena nearly as ignorant as I am! Really covers up a lot of flubs.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I used my magical lineage and meta-magic feat to include a Topple on top of my Magic Missile.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Indeed you did. I thought you'd like to see how it worked, and that was as good a time as any.

"Rider" effects like "Toppling" always have a saving throw even if the spell they're applied to doesn't - they're powerful enough as it is.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom will pick up tje silver and jewellery on behalf of the party.

(DM, do we need to keep track of such valuable money items as well as the magic stuff?)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, it's a good idea to track money. Pathfinder has much more of an outlet for it than early editions of AD&D ever did. (I used to have high level characters with six-figure wealth and little to spend it on.)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! At last the scales have fallen from my eyes and the penny has dropped! Thanks Malacandra, after this last post I finally understand how to participate in your story. Took me long enough, LOL. I'm slow but I get there in the end.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Hey thanks for the locale correction, Mal. Unfortunately I'm stuck with Rowena's mistaken geography, since sadly as genre-savvy as some bards might be, the girl can't yet intuit exposition. Which is cool, as I'm fine w/playing someone who gets flustered or can't guess what's on everyone's mind. (IMO flaws are much more fun to write.)

And who knows, maybe her inability to keep track of direction can be exploited later, if you ever need character quirks to impact your plot at some point. Right now we're going where the NPCs tell us to go, but things could diverge from that path if/when the story gets deeper.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by choie View post
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! At last the scales have fallen from my eyes and the penny has dropped! Thanks Malacandra, after this last post I finally understand how to participate in your story. Took me long enough, LOL. I'm slow but I get there in the end.
    Good -- I think! Is there something I'm not getting?
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Mar 2012

Well, to share some of my navel-gazing, I just mean I've been sluggishly and mulishly using the wrong strategy/mindset for the game. Spending too much time on irrelevant matters that would slow things down, and aren't productive or a good match for the forward-moving pace at which the rest of the gang, and most importantly you as the GM/author, prefer the story to play out. I'll be fitting in better now, hopefully!

Registered
    Sep 2009

You're doing just fine, from all I've seen.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

Honestly there isn't really a 'correct' way to play D+D!
    Some (like myself) focus on moving the story along, some offer background and some add style + humour.
    It all adds up to an interesting story.

I think you have added a lot to the game and established Rowena's character in depth.
    I look forward to your posts and you are welcome to continue in the same way.

(I might add that I've played with Malacandra a lot and if he felt things were not right, he would discreetly let the player(s) know!)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Oh gosh you guys are very sweet! I hope you know I wasn't fishing for compliments, but I greatly appreciate them anyway. I just think tweaking my understanding of and expectations for gameplay will help move things along, or at least not slow things down, and keep me a little better in sync with the rest of us.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

I've played a lot of D+D and I know that it's best when it's about enjoyment (for both players and the DM!) whilst taking the campaign World seriously in character.

I think Rowena is a well-played character who is new to adventuring, learning as she goes and making up poetry*.
    (This fits in really well with Bilbo in 'The Hobbit' and you can't have a better background than that. )

*Tom would like me to add that he should have commented favourably on your rhyming skills - but he was rather focused on adventuring.

P.S. As for 'slowing things down' - pah!
    When I play the 'Lord of the Rings Online', I like to look around ('smell the flowers', so to speak.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You're doing fine, choie.

Just remember that Rowena can support the party by singing to Inspire Courage and that leaves her hands free to shoot her bow or even engage in swordplay should she so wish.

The party is close to levelling up so you will all have slightly more options soon.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are these the greatest quotes in the English language?!

"Some people are on the pitch - they think it's all over .... it is now!"
    "I'll be back."
    "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
    "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
    "You're going to need a bigger boat."

Well they are all excellent - but don't compare with:

"The party is close to levelling up"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Aye, 'tis music to my ears!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally posted by Malacandra View post
    You're doing fine, choie.

Just remember that Rowena can support the party by singing to Inspire Courage and that leaves her hands free to shoot her bow or even engage in swordplay should she so wish.

Thanks Malacandra, good to know!

So far, Rowena's lack of physical participation--i.e., actively fighting--is one of the consequences of my playing wrong. (Maybe not wrong-wrong, but not in sync with the game the way it's meant to be played.) As is my wont, I've been focusing way the heck too much on the RP part of RPG. And when I read in Ro's character sheet that she avoids melee fighting unless a friend were in dire need... I wanted to give her a rationale for that. Other than cowardice. Her youth/naivete/inexperience presented me with the obvious: reluctance/unwillingness to hurt anyone.

Luckily I don't think any of the gang has been in such dire straits as to trigger that impulse. Y'all are very good fighters! So Ro's had the luxury of keeping pure. I figured she'd struggle with this for a while--maybe enough of the PCs start getting annoyed with her self-righteous arse--until eventually something trips the alarm and she needs to step up, however reluctantly.

BUT this is exactly the point I made earlier: all this artsy blah blah character arc stuff isn't meshing with the pace. Things are kept moving along nicely, and downtime (non-battle time, e.g., resting or traveling) is usually handled efficiently, allowing us to skip right to the next destination or NPC meeting.

Everyone enjoys this quick pace while I've been potentially bogging things down with internal stuff and having Rowena trying to pry into other people's business. The other PCs don't nag each other like frickin' biographers, you know? Long 'getting-to-know-you' sessions aren't what the game's about.

In short (too late) I've realized I've been playing the way I do in the other RPG I'm in. It's a mistake; each game has its own feel, its own pace. And I think learning to be a good team player means adjusting accordingly.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think so, too, but again, I'd say you're doing just fine, choie. And I know Eli Proudfoot is glad to have Rowena along for the adventure with us.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Rowena can be forgiven for being a little angsty... only three or four days ago she was living a comparatively peaceful like in a prosperous town; she has had about as much time to adapt to her changed circumstances as Frodo, Pippin and Sam had by the time they got to Farmer Maggot's.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Also, (DM coughs), while sending Aster off to hunt for the Eagle might work, Westerly himself gave you some instructions a while back...
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Woo hoo! Second level!

Malacandra, will you be rolling hit points and letting us know what extra abilities we get?

P.S. Suggestions on what Tom could spend his money on (Scroll? Potion? Item?) are most welcome... (he has about 180 gold)
    Last edited by glee; 07 Nov 2021 at 05:03 PM.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

glee, I can do all that for you. A 1st-level Wizard scroll would cost 25gp (and take effect as if cast by a 1st-level caster), and barring some very unusual circumstances it could be used only once. You gain only a cantrip at second level, although things pick up a little better on future level-ups. You can look up "pathfinder 1e 1st level wizard spells" if you are interested. Potions of 1st-level spells (and taking effect as if from a 1st-level caster) cost 50gp.

I know that stebb is able to level himself up, and I am happy to receive input from players, or do it all myself, as you prefer, for the rest of you.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Malacandra,

thanks for the details.
    Please can I check I've read the details correctly. At 2nd level:

- I get more hit points
    - I can cast 1 extra 1st level spell / day (so 4 out of my mind ... +1 from my Bonded Staff)
    - I learn 1 more cantrip
    - I gain 3 ranks in Skills

I also have some gp to spend.

If that is correct, how does this look?

Learn 1 extra Cantrip; either Open/Close (safety in opening doors/lids) or Presdigitation (minor magic display)
    Improve Knowledge, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device
    Buy two scrolls (@25 gp each) for one-off use: Sleep (take out some low-level troops) + Detect Secret Doors
    Buy one 1st level Potion (@50 gp) ... please recommend one for me!

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

open/close and prestidigitation are both on the Bard cantrip list as well so you could liaise with choie as to who will learn what. They're both potentially useful, although they're only 0-level spells and you shouldn't expect much of them. One potion you could consider is hold portal (that comes as an oil to be applied rather than a potion to be swallowed), which could be useful once in a long while and definitely not worth wasting a precious "spell known" on. Or you could just grab an extra cure.

Otherwise you are exactly right.

Bruno will gain a "Combat Feat", there is one called "Shield of Swings" that would fit well. You halve your damage for a round in exchange for a +4 shield bonus. Situationally this is rather like wielding a +4 defender sword, letting you trade off attack and defence as the need arises.

Arewe will gain a ranger bonus feat, of which more later (ties into the character's intention to build into a mounted archer).

Rowena... gets quite a lot; an extra cantrip and 1st-level spell, Versatile Performance (which lets you make a Perform check in place of some social skills like Bluff, Diplomacy and Sense Motive), resistance to sound and song effects, and an extra two rounds per day of performance

Eli gains evasion (like the monk ability to dodge all damage from a blast instead of taking half) and a rogue talent, which we will need to look at
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Sep 2009

All right, thank you!

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I really need to drop Bruno at this point. I just don't enjoy front line fighters.

Maybe generate a Dex based Ranger assuming that is good for Bows & Defense?
    I would want some skills but especially stealth & tracking.
    I assume Elf or ˝ Elf (Dúnadan)

It looks like Tracking is part of Survival which is Wis based.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom will:

- learn Open/Close cantrip
    - improve Knowledge, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device
    - Buy two scrolls (@25 gp each) for one-off use: Sleep (take out some low-level troops) + Detect Secret Doors
    - Buy one 1st level potion (@50 gp) Hold Portal

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit? View post
    I really need to drop Bruno at this point. I just don't enjoy front line fighters.

Maybe generate a Dex based Ranger assuming that is good for Bows & Defense?
    I would want some skills but especially stealth & tracking.
    I assume Elf or ˝ Elf (Dúnadan)

It looks like Tracking is part of Survival which is Wis based.
    Yes, and Rangers also start to gain some spell ability beginning at 4th level (much sooner than they did in 1st Ed AD&D and rather more relevant when they do!) which needs some Wis also. Although Str is still useful for archers since they can buy a bow that takes advantage of it, you can compensate to some extent with feat choices and if you are determined to avoid melee then you need Str less.

I can stat you up an archery-focussed Ranger easily enough and on a quick look around the Guide archetype might give you some of what you are looking for - they can give allies (including themselves) bonuses to initiative, Survival and Perception checks, and ensure that their party doesn't leave a trail. Instead of selecting a "Favoured Enemy" as regular Rangers do, they can "focus" on one particular foe and gain bonuses to hit and damage that foe.

There are reasonable numbers of Mirkwood elves regularly passing through or near Dale and you can assume that one of these has run across the party at about the time that Bruno felt the call of either home or something else.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Guide looks pretty solid.

Is there any archtypes that either add more skills or eventually more spells?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Rangers are skill monkeys anyway - lagging only behind rogues, and about on a par with bards. If you really wanted to push skills then humans get an extra skill rank every level.

I just found out about the "Woodland Skirmisher" archetype, which gets an extra spell of every level and has some access to the druid spell list as well as the normal ranger list. It loses proficiency in Medium armour (you could buy that back with a feat, there is nothing in the description that says "x ability only works while wearing light armour") and gets ranger combat bonuses only against one type of enemy and in one type of terrain (whereas regular rangers build up a list over time).
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

Sorry, I'll just stick to the Guide. That 4th level ability is a nice help to the entire party.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, sounds good!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Yay, cool that we levelled up. Can someone help me out with what would be good options for Rowena? The only thing I know I want is some healing option. Since our main healer is either MIA or has turned into an NPC, we probably should have backup. (Plus Ro should put her money where her mouth is--if she's so against violence, she should make herself useful by fixing the consequences of violence.)

Otherwise I'm uncertain what would be most useful upgrades. Any ideas?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

cure light wounds is a useful option anyway since it frees up the Druid to load some other spells instead; unlike the bard and the sorcerer, druids have a lot of spells to choose from but have to prepare their spells every day and can cast only the ones they've prepared. "Spontaneous" casters can just carry on casting whichever of the (few) spells they know until they have used up their allowance.

I have noticed one or two interesting rogue talents to consider, Elendil's Heir, but you may be doing your own research.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Choie,

may I suggest an interesting new Cantrip for Rowena - Presdigitation (to give minor magic display.)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks guys, I'll run with your suggestions. So in addition to whatever bonuses she automatically gets (is that correct?), I think cure light wounds and especially prestidigitation make sense. The latter seems like a skill she'd try to pick up manually anyway. She'll also use some cash on a new instrument, but we'll see what she can afford in the thread.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Whatever rogue talent(s) you think best, Malacandra, I'm glad to acquire.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by glee View post
    Tom will:

- learn Open/Close cantrip
    - improve Knowledge, Spellcraft and Use Magic Device
    - Buy two scrolls (@25 gp each) for one-off use: Sleep (take out some low-level troops) + Detect Secret Doors
    - Buy one 1st level potion (@50 gp) Hold Portal
    Hiya,
    PCGen doesn't seem to want to let me make an oil of hold portal so I have given Tom a scroll of it instead - to be honest an oil is no real benefit since this is a spell Tom could learn and hence a scroll auto-succeeds when used, and it is cheaper.

I have most people levelled up now; I'd just like to know whether What Exit wants his new guy to be a Man or an Elf.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Elendil's Heir View post
    I've given you one which lets you run away from someone you just sneak-attacked without them getting a hit on you as you run. Ought to play well in character.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think human, you mentioned more skills I think?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, humans receive an extra skill rank per level, and an extra feat. I'll get on it ASAP, been a busy day today (Remembrance Sunday, I played trumpet at two church services and organ at one of them)
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tom is fine with a scroll - especially if it's cheaper! (The extra coins will go into the Rowena Super Sword Fund. )

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've given you one which lets you run away from someone you just sneak-attacked without them getting a hit on you as you run. Ought to play well in character.
    :: steeples fingers ::

Excellent.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

:: steeples fingers ::

Excellent.
    In order to use this you must be in a position to take a Move action after attacking; that is, you cannot use it on a round where you had to move to close for combat. The advantage is that normally if you attack and then move away, the enemy gain an Attack of Opportunity on you -- which this rogue talent prevents as long as your attack was a sneak.
    Librarians rule, Oook

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Everyone should now have received their upgraded character sheets (except Stebb, who can take care of himself)
    Librarians rule, Oook

+ Reply to thread