+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #7: "The War-Brotherhood of Irkhuit"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mayhew smiles - he has a nice smile - and says, "No, I'd be happy to come with you - thanks for asking. I know the groom a little and the bride not at all."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Gladhanding a big crowd is far from Graham's strong suit or comfort zone, yet he's authentically in a good mood. And there are high points--including a quick and sincere whisper in his friend Ens. Mahmoud's ear. "I might not have lived to be here without you, Faisal. Thank you."

And watching Marala.

Jane handled situations like this because she was...aloof. Not hostile, or arrogant, but with a prestigious PhD and a family pedigree that stretched back to the founding of the American colonies on Earth, it was as if the center of gravity and the laws governing social interaction would magically warp and reform around her.

Marala was so different--opposite, in some ways. A down-to-earth no-nonsense hard worker with generations of the same lined up behind her in mines and fields and factories...yet it was as if the same thing happened. She seemed effortless accepting congratulations and expressing thanks, all the while holding firmly to his arm--not out of fear or possessiveness, he felt, yet...we're going to turn where she turns, step where she steps.

A little bit of the awe he felt when the girl he felt certain was the most desirable in his whole high school decided to spend time with a younger him returns.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Faisal squeezes his other arm and whispers, "Wouldn't miss it for the world, Book. I'm so happy for you both, even though it means I'll be losing my roomie."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin nods at the polite response, but his curiosity is still unsatiated. “If you don’t mind me asking further, which planet are you from? I’m from Coridan III,” he asks, hoping for an answer and wondering where in the Alpha Quadrant they may hail from. Perhaps some new planet that has just discovered warp travel and joined the Federation.

He can see their attentive inquisitiveness about him, but it’s probably no more than the same look showing across his face as well, for all his desire to hide it.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We are from Dardari," the other one says. They seem to take turns talking. "We do not mind your query. We have never visited this world before. It is very pleasant and most interesting."

Rangin notices, out of a corner of his eye, someone else coming up the trail. It appears to be a male Human.

Kylah and Mayhew finally reach the newlyweds.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah waits until the bride has finished accepting the latest well-wisher's well-wishing. She cannot help sending pleased little glances at Lt. Graham, who seems so buoyant he might float up to the Arboretum's bright ceiling--though no brighter than he is. His eyes are aglow.

But she must address Mrs. Graham first. If that is what she will be called. After that thought, Kylah suddenly wonders what she should call herself. More times than she can remember, she has been on either side of such a receiving line at social events. Of course, she has always used her full name then.

When the older woman looks toward her, Kylah gives her a warm appreciative smile. As usual, it takes some effort. Smiles are rarely natural for her, but these are Terran humans. Just as she speaks other people's own languages when possible, despite the existence of the Universal Translator, Kylah defers to foreign customs.

Her decision about her introduction has been made. She is not wearing a uniform and at such a personal occasion she firmly believes her own full name is proper. "I am Kylah, of the Elasian Royal House of the Silver Weeping Tree. I am so happy for you, madam, and grateful to share with you one fraction of the joy you must feel on this glorious day." She bows her head slightly in a nod, then lifts her chin. "We have met, albeit briefly, but you have been swarmed by so many people we must blur together."

She edges slightly to her left, closer to Lt. Graham, aware of the long line still remaining. "I am a communications officer, an Ensign, and I am fortunate enough to have served on many missions with Lieutenant--with your husband." Her smile is sincere, and even warmer. How thrilling to call him such a lovely word.

"My hope is that he considers me a--a friend, as I consider him. He has protected me more than once. Much more than once. I owe him my life." Kylah's voice softens. "And if you bring him the happiness he deserves, I will be in your debt, as well."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The bride smiles warmly at Kylah and gives her a quick hug. "Thank you, Ens. Kylah. I'm sure going to try! It's good to see you again. Booker has told me a little about you, and we're so glad you were able to be here with us today."

"Ens. Frederick Mayhew, ma'am," Kylah's companion says to her next, bowing a little. "Please accept my warmest congratulations and very best wishes. I hope you have many happy years together."

Registered
    Nov 2021

Mäkeläinen hikes up the narrow trail on Beta Antares IV. He pauses occasionally to examine the odd plant or tree. At one point he zones out for a few minutes, watching unfamiliar insects go about their business around an overturned rock. The beautiful day and luxurious setting are enough to lull anyone into a meditative mood. It must be something instinctual to the human psyche, for, while he has visited such biomes as an adult, it is about as different as can be from the cold, sterile waste back on Mars, or the utilitarian corridors of a starship or deep-space station.

Antares is quite far from the Solar system. Right now he can be little more than a tourist, but he would love to organize a proper expedition here sometime, perhaps up a tropical mountain. Such a complex tapestry of life must conceal still unknown wonders, as well as subtle dangers. The inconceivable alternative is to remain blissfully unaware. But bugs have to leave the shelter of their rock and take their chances.

"You will proceed to Beta Antares IV and report to Captn. Singh for duty aboard the USS Yorktown." He must have impressed someone back on the Eriksson, despite, or thanks to, his far-out theories (the results, however, speak for themselves), because nobody gets aboard a Constitution-class with a "satisfied to have" fitness report. Having got this shot, he was going to have to work his arse off.

An anxious and excited Bizhi spent his first couple of days on Beta Antares IV checking out the city. The local history museum and the New Getty were interesting. So were the local markets. From a vendor at the Garden of the Hordes he picked up a variety of Kobir's Nectar planted in a jar, and he was looking forward to experimenting with some of the local spices (not that he was a particularly experienced cook, but he would start with some recipes, possibly tweak them, until he found something delicious).

The planet's nightlife was nothing special, to be honest; everyone was so tame and pleasant. (Nothing wrong with that.) He enjoyed conversing with the locals. Years of working with patients certainly helped, but he was a natural good listener, and they would sometimes tell weird stories when slightly toasted, especially since he made at least a token effort to break the ice by communicating without a universal translator. Apparently, one of the first group of men to steal fire from the gods nearly got his tongue burnt off. A fetching wag told Bizhi about some kind of mythical large cat that could speak with the dead, and that, especially if he only had a couple of days, he should absolutely check out the forests where it reportedly lived. So, there he was. No magical cats so far, but the vista was everything they said it was.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Dardari, Rangin thinks to himself, no that planet or place didn’t register at this point in time with anywhere he knows, he could always look it up later. Ah, if only he had a scanner here.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know where that is. However, you are right, it is a beautiful place here.” Rangin can’t help but gaze back out over the scenery drinking it in like an oasis of colour in the desert of space.

He looks back across to the two of them .“Well, perhaps you would like to stay a while and tell me some more about yourselves, I’d be only too happy to hear all about you.” He nods to them politely hoping they will mention more of their species while he tries to remember if anr when he had ever heard of Dardari.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"We are explorers," the other alien says, continuing their alternating speaking order. "We like to go to new places and enjoy new experiences. The galaxy is vast and full of wonders, and we want to sense them all, if we can. I see you are wearing a uniform - you are of Starfleet, no? From one of the ships in orbit?"

The man lower down the slope is getting closer, and Rangin sees that he's in Starfleet uniform, too.

Dr. Mäkeläinen sees what appear to be a Human in Starfleet uniform, in a blue shirt like his, talking to two unfamiliar aliens farther up the trail from where he is.

Registered
    Apr 2015

The line moves incrementally forward and Nia keeps up the slow pace, her body as cold and unnaturally sluggish as if encased in clay. She's been keeping her body angled toward Ajay, rather than watching the finish line and the newlyweds waiting in the winner's circle.

"Seht'dar's Holy Balls, how much longer," she mutters, half to herself, half to Ajay. Deciding to answer her own question, she twists her head to cast a glance behind her, takes in the crowd sharply enough to count how many stand between her and the happy couple, then swiftly snaps back to face her friend, all in a blink of an eye.

It's a smooth motion that might win the all-time record for the little-known sport of "turning your head, assessing the territory, then making sure no one actually caught you assessing the territory." At the medal ceremony she'll thank her reptilian ancestors.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 07 Dec 2021 at 03:21 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn and Ajay finally reach the end of the line. Mrs. Marala Gromov Graham (as Onn had just overheard someone say her new name was), smiling, extends a hand to Onn. Her husband, still listening to the person just ahead of Onn in line, hasn't noticed the Sidonian woman yet.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Bizhi was not expecting solitude on the well-beaten track, and had already encountered a few hikers. Starfleet, though---in sciences blue, no less---accompanied by a couple of fellows he realizes he cannot quite place, not even the species---intriguing. He brushes dust off his uniform as he nears.

Registered
    Jan 2018

“I’m currently serving in Starfleet on board the USS Yorktown. Just taking a bit of shore leave to stretch my legs and see something other than yet another corridor and I completely agree with you, the universe is full of wonders just waiting to be found.”

“Of course I should not be surprised that even here, I find something I do now know. Dardari is not a planet I know, of course I would be hard pressed to know them all, where about’s is it? I’m always interested in new places and peoples I haven’t met before.”

Rangin nods enthusiastically, encouraging them to start talking and perhaps giving him some hints as to what he is missing.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Her hand is warm, Nia thinks--strange that this is her first thought. "Congratulations, Marala," she says with a smile. "Took you two long enough to get together."

She's proud of herself for that one. Sounds like a jokey reference to their past.

But no. It is not.

"Nikolai seems thrilled, too. I won't say I hope you'll all be very happy--because I have no doubt you will." Ugh, how banal. Booker's presence just inches away is throwing her even further off her game. Lucky her sweat glands are almost dormant outside of extreme heat--if not, she'd be drenched.

To avoid his edging into her peripheral vision, she focuses solely on Marala. "It's so good to have an occasion to bring us a little cheer after so much tragedy. Very generous of you to provide it," she adds with another smile.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The other alien says to Rangin, "Ah, the Yorktown. Yes yes. A fine ship, we hear. Dardari is in the Juvek Nebula, about 60 light years from here. It is a cold planet with much ice and snow, but it is home. There are over a billion people there, and we have over the years settled seven other systems and established many colonies, but none are as large."

Bizhi is now almost up to the other Starfleet officer and the two aliens.

Marala chuckles and says, "Our pleasure. Boo-- Booker and I both really wanted to share the occasion with his shipmates and my friends from the colony. We're so pleased you could join us, Lt. Onn."

Registered
    May 2013

Lt. Onn.

Overhearing Marala's words makes Graham's stomach seize up.

He wouldn't have blamed her if she didn't attend--but he also knows, of course, that she wouldn't do that, however uncomfortable attending might be for her.

He wishes there was something he could say to make something--anything--better, but comes up empty.

"Nia..." he turns and blurts her name out like he's unhinged. "Um," he clears his throat. "Nia," he repeats like a normal human being who is actually in his right mind. "I, ah, I'm glad you're could be here."

Or well maybe it would be easier if you weren't--dammit, Booker, she didn't punk out, don't you let her down.

Registered
    Apr 2015

'Wanted to share the occasion with his shipmates... So pleased you could join us, Lt. Onn...'

Nia doesn't know what she was expecting--she certainly doesn't need or want undying gratitude, much less friendship, but--not this.

She's nodding her head and smiling, and now she's introducing Ajay as the ship's cook who's likely responsible for their cake, although she has no idea if there is a cake or not. But all the while...

I'm 'Lt. Onn'? Just another of his shipmates? Really?

Do you remember what I did for you? How hard I fought to find you a way off that planet? I brainstormed plans with you so you could survive, and now you barely remember me? You don't remember that I disobeyed orders so me and my shuttle could help save your son? That I took the phaser fire of Vargas's anger, torpedoed my wanna-be promotion, put my whole career in jeopardy--maybe even my freedom, if all my worrying and running around and lying gets me a court-martial?

Do you know all I risked? What I sacrificed?

Who I sacrificed?

Someone's saying her name. Someone who remembers her name. She grins at Ajay, he's probably being charming and rakish--and blesses him for knowing she wouldn't want to talk to Booker under Marala's beaming, sweetly triumphant gaze.

When she's put it off as long as possible, she turns and steps closer, so they're directly in front of one another. That's how they always were together. Direct. Upfront.

Of course all that changed, not even a week ago. She might as well stay the course.

"Congratulations, Groom. And thanks, I'm glad to be here too. More to the point, I'm glad Marala can be here. And Nikolai." She glances at the little boy, her throat constricting painfully, then returns to Booker. Extending her hand, she continues, her voice soft and hoarse. "Otherwise, what was it all for?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Reaching the front of the line with Nia, Ajay steps forward to meet Lt Graham and spare Nia from having to directly face him. Holding out a hand, he greets him warmly.

“Congratulations, Mr Graham, I hope you have a very, happy, life together.” Ajay resists the urge to call him Boojee, deciding that keeping things calm and simple would be best for Nia, who is engaging with the new Mrs. Graham. “I guess that as it’s all been a rush, you’ll have a lot of things to get used to. Only suggestion I’ve got is you’re gonna need to let out the waistband on that uniform, your new missus is a seriously good cook.”

'Lt Onn'…, oh great there goes the neighbourhood.

Ajay smiles politely as he is introduced to Mrs Graham, even though they have met before and
    smartly swaps places with Nia allowing her to stand facing.

“Mrs Graham, I hope you have a happy life with Mr Graham. All the best for the future.

Ajay steps back slightly having finished, allowing Nia a little space and waiting for her to finish as well.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Many thanks," the bride says to Ajay. She couldn't help but overhear what he said to Graham and adds, with a glint in her eye, "But how do you know about my cooking?"

Registered
    Nov 2021

Bizhi sees that the small group is in the middle of a conversation. When he is a few paces away, he salutes.

Not knowing anything about the aliens, if they acknowledge him, he greets them with a polite "Good afternoon." The officer gets a "Sir" on top of that. (Good thing he does not have to guess the gender of the unknown aliens, though that would have been a good quiz question back in medical school!)
    Last edited by stolz; 09 Dec 2021 at 03:17 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The aliens notice Bizhi at once, of course, and one says in what is perhaps a bemused tone, "Two Starfleet officers... meeting two Dardarien, no less! Greetings to you, sir."

Bizhi has never seen this kind of alien before, and does not recognize them.

See posts 288 and 292 for descriptions.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham accepts the cook--er, chef--Ajay's congratulations with a polite smile and nod.

Nia, on the other hand... he winces at her words as she extends a hand. He takes, and squeezes maybe a little harder than he would have intended--"'What was it all for'," he replies quietly. "That's often a hard question to ask, and, ah...sometimes the answer is even harder," he adds, forcing herself to hold her eyes.

"I hope you don't suffer from regret, Nia," he continues, even more softly. "And where you do on account of me--I'm sorry."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's response is immediate and unwavering. "I don't regret what I did at Novy Rostov, unforeseen consequences be damned. Do you really think I'd change a thing? I'd do it again if you needed it."

Then she drops her gaze to their joined hands, his large fingers with thick knuckles and scars; her darker skin gleaming silver with iridescent scales. There are more scales than are usually visible, she realizes--they've emerged without her noticing. Unconsciously her body's reacting to a threat, protecting her. From what?

From his pity. He thinks I'm suffering.

Nia trusts her natural instincts. He will not pity me.

She pats the top of his hand encouragingly and, looking back up, tilts her head with a slow, sly smile. "And there's no need to apologize. Things wouldn't have lasted much longer, anyway. Told you before, Lieutenant: I'm like my shuttles. Jump in and you'll get one hell of an exhilarating ride. But no one expects a long-term excursion."

Leaning forward, she plants a quick kiss on his cheek. "Be happy, Booker."

She releases her grasp and slips her arm through Ajay's, tugging at his elbow. "C'mon mate, those mushroom appetizer thingies have my name on them." If Ajay can tear himself away from the bride, she'll steer him toward the nearest silver tray. And, even though breathing is painful and her heavy lungs feel like she's overdue for her Bilitrium fix, she flashes a last grin at Booker behind her.

'Booker.' Does it sound as formal to him as it does to her? She usually called him 'Book' when they were alone.

But Nia doubts they'll be alone again.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Unlike some previous special events Kylah has attended, this afternoon she does not finish even a single glass of wine. She leaves one, half-full, on the proffered tray and thanks the crewman who accepted it. She did not stint on the wide variety of nibble-worthy food, either. I will gain weight, she thinks, not minding if her curves fill out properly again.

This whole week she's enjoyed her meals in a way she hasn't in ages. Due to the rationing the crew was making do with less, true, but Kylah suspects she would have eaten her fill even with the normal portions. The stringent control of her appetite that has become her habit seems less necessary now.

It is getting late. Not very late, but Kylah is not certain how much longer she has to get down to the planet. Turning to Mr. Mayhew, who has been enjoyable company, she smiles. "Frederick, do you happen to know when we are leaving orbit?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ajay drops an evil grin at Mrs. Graham’s surprise at his comment about her cooking.

“I’ve seen you up to your elbows in flour in my galley and you know what you’re doing. If he decides not to appreciate it, “ Ajay nods his head aside in Graham’s direction, “I’d be happy to take his place, little Matushka.”

As he straightens up, he can feel Nia’s grasp on his elbow and the slight tug in the direction away from the happy couple and towards the reception. “If you’ll excuse me, there are some tasty morsels on offer that need tending to.”

Ajay lets himself be led off by Nia without looking back and concentrating on the food ahead. “How ya doin’ little miss runabout?,” he says quietly to Nia’s ears only while squeezing the hand in the crook of his elbow.

Registered
    Jan 2018

“And a good afternoon to you too,” Rangin responds to the human, slightly surprised by the sir. He is beginning to feel a little crowded, sitting as he is on the hillside and now surrounded by three other people.

“Lt Rangin, serving on board the Yorktown and currently enjoying the view.” He waits to see if the other man introduces himself. If there were any insignia, Rangin is a little bit blind to it from his current seated position.

Registered
    May 2013

"Things wouldn't have lasted much longer, anyway."

Graham's response to Nia's parting words and grin is a smile more wan and sad than he would have liked.

It was the first time since I lost Jane I thought something might last...and Nia doesn't care.

Or at least she says she doesn't.

"Booker" is one step away from "Lt. Graham."

She's lost to me.

That settles in on him.

It was a fait accompli that their romantic relationship had to end because of the whole...Novy Rostov - Marala...situation...but more than that.

He takes her best wishes for happiness as best he can, but, for the moment--he's sad.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Two Starfleet officers, indeed. Who started the custom of wearing uniforms everywhere outside of normal duty, Bizhi wonders, not for the first time. Does it send the message they think they are sending? And what message is that?

He is a little surprised upon hearing Rangin's posting, but quickly covers it up. "Didn't mean to interrupt you," he addresses the group. "Ens. Mäkeläinen, Starfleet Medical Corps. The Yorktown— I've just been assigned there!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mrs. Graham winces a little and says to Ajay, "Oh, of course. Sorry. My head's been in such a whirl I almost forgot my little wedding baking project. Thanks again for your help with that." Just before Onn turns away with Ajay, she says to the Sidonian woman, as well, "And many, many thanks again for all you did to help Nikolai and me, Lieutenant. We'll never forget it."

When the helmswoman and the chef are gone, and before the next well-wisher comes up, Marala looks concernedly at her husband, squeezes his arm and asks quietly, "Are you all right, Boojee?"

Down on the planet, the other alien says, "Ah, two Starfleet officers, and both assigned to the same ship, as well. This is yegelek indeed."

Mayhew shrugs a little and replies to Kylah, "Nothing's definite yet, I guess, but the scuttlebutt is that we won't be here for more than another couple of days." Looking over the very impressive array of food and drink on offer, he selects two small Kaferian apple tarts (offering one to Kylah) and a glass of champagne.

A platter of Riskian cheese pastries just now catches her eye; they look delicious.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kaferian_apple
    https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki..._cheese_pastry

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's attention is snapped back to focus on Marala--his wife.

"Oh--ah, don't let me rain on our wedding day," he replies quietly. He touches the hand squeezing his arm with his free hand. "It's just that a lot happened, fast--and--it never sat well with me, when people get hurt. I'm night and day better at preventing it than I was we were kids, at least in some ways--but in others?" He takes a deep breath. "There's always something to wish you did better, you know?" He forces a small smile and gives her hand a squeeze.

Registered
    Sep 2009

She squeezes back, and kisses him. "I know. I really do. And I love you, now more than ever." Then she turns to greet the next guests.

Registered
    Mar 2012

With eyes widening both at Frederick Mayhew's response and his gift of the apple tart--not to mention the cheese pastries passing by--Kylah is a bit overloaded with stimuli.

"A couple of days? How scatterbrained of me," she says, keeping track of the moving pastry platter. "I did not realize--that is, I thought we might be leaving today." So Velir will likely not be in such a rush to beam back to the ship, and Kylah can spend a little more time here before joining him.

That settled, there is still the matter of the food. The apple tart is already in her hand; would it look unseemly to her colleague if she grabs yet another morsel?

It does not take long for her to make the decision. A few steps closer to the steward and one short arm-reach later, Kylah snags her prize, thanks the steward, and begs Frederick's pardon, lifting both treats. "I know how greedy this must look... " Her manner is slightly sheepish but not without humor. "But cheese just goes so marvelously with apples."

Registered
    Nov 2021

Bizhi looks the lieutenant in the eyes, then turns to address the second alien. “If you three don't know each other, then we must have all read the same guidebook. The view is spectacular. But, yegelek— how does it usually manifest?”

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mayhew grins. "Of course. And if you can't eat, drink and be merry at a wedding, when can you?"

The other alien says, "Yegelek is...." It pauses. "It is a notable alignment of similar factors or things, perhaps by coincidence but perhaps not, which is of interest in and of itself. It may be humorous, neutral, or actually cause for concern." It thinks further. "I do not know an exact equivalent for the term in Federation Standard."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah smiles and thanks Frederick. She takes a few bites of the tart, then of the cheese pastry, and declares them quite good. Soon they are both gone. If she is honest, she would happily have more, but decides against it.

"What a lovely affair," she says, looking around the Arboretum. "I hope we see more happy days like this."

She turns back to Frederick. "I should be going. Thank you for--for your company. Often I find crowds overwhelming, but being able to focus on just one person helps me. Especially," she adds, afraid he will think she just needed him as a sort of distraction, "someone as kind and funny as you. I am so glad you thought to approach me."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia just smiles vaguely at Marala's words and steps quickly away, making a beeline for those mushroom pastry things she now has to eat. Absurd that she needs to give a performance. But she's been doing that all day, and will probably have to keep it up every time they're on the Bridge or on a mission together.

She plucks one of the appetizers off its platter and pops one into her mouth. It's actually delicious, and if she had an appetite she'd happily park herself here and eat half of the platter. She sweeps her gaze across the room casually, the way normal guests would, and speaks to Ajay just as casually.

"Funny, I haven't seen Vargas yet. 'Course I haven't really looked for him, either." Even this minimum level of banter is exhausting. She picks up a napkin and wipes the crumbs from her fingers. "The band is still here. I wonder why--oh shit. Is there gonna be dancing too?"

When she and Booker had a picnic here, dancing had been on the menu then, too.

"All right. I'm done. You think it's obvious if I take off now before I get sick?" A better question is, does she care? "Well, I'm going anyway. Don't get too pie-eyed on the champagne."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Mayhew looks sorry to see the young Communications officer go. He says, "My pleasure, Kylah. I, uh, I really enjoyed your company." He blushes. "Would you, uh, like to go out sometime? Maybe visit the planet or something?"

Onn is able to spot Vargas across the crowded Arboretum, talking to the Captain. A passing steward offers her and Ajay glasses of champagne from a tray.

The Lyceum ensemble isn't playing dance music... at least, not yet.

Registered
    Mar 2012

"Oh, I am actually going down--" Kylah has started speaking before really processing Frederick's blush. Now her own face turns warm as well. "That is... I do have plans there now, but... but I do not think I will see the whole of Beta Antares." She almost winces. What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. No, she is not joining an expedition to visit every corner of an entire planet.

The truth is that she is reluctant to accept any offer that she is unwilling to undertake. Is she entirely unwilling? Frederick is quite likable, and seems gentlemanly. Much like the medic who has been so kind to her, Mr. Alvarez. And Velir.

Yes. Exactly. Velir.

They are not together. They may never be. She must acknowledge that their relationship might only seem warm in comparison to the icy tundra where it has dwelled for months. After being devastated by his rejections, Kylah does not want--if it should happen once more--to be left lost and lonely again.

"I meant to say... well, I would like to see more of it. We will be here for a couple of days, as you mentioned, so I suppose... that is, there is no reason--" Kylah pauses her babble and takes a deep breath to compose herself. "Yes. Yes, that would be nice, thank you."

Kylah smiles, a little nervously, and gestures toward the instrument case left by her chair. "I must... excuse me." She says goodbye again and sidles by anyone in her path to retrieve the borrowed Vulcan Lute. When she picks it up, she will turn to see if Lt. Graham is free.

If Lt. Graham is free, she will make her way to thank and congratulate him again.

If not, she will head off to a transporter room. She should probably change and deposit the lute case in her quarters, but for some reason she has a sudden need to see Velir.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's about to refuse the champagne, since all it means to her is sweetish fizzy water, but when she (rather stupidly) takes a look up front and sees the Grahams, she swipes up the glass, lifts it to them brightly in salute, and downs it in a single gulp.

Then she sets the empty glass down, thanks the steward, pats Ajay's shoulder in gratitude, then gets the holy hell out of there.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Bizhi considers, in turn. "The Federation, now that is made up of hundreds of different worlds, and as many races. And each one, in its own way, casts a light upon the black seas of infinity. And among all those languages, and all those peoples, certain fundamental concepts overlap. More often than one would expect. So there are many words, but an exact equivalent? That is not something I can presume to say without knowing a lot more about it."

He would love to pursue this further, but Lt. Rangin is sitting right there, and Bizhi is not sure how the latter feels about this unplanned gathering. He himself was off thinking about plants and insects only a couple of minutes ago. He does automatically make a mental note to look up information about---Dardari, was it?--- in the library computer later, in any case.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Of course," Mayhew says, grinning even more. "Thanks, Kylah. That'll be great! Well, let's talk later then. Goodbye."

Graham and his bride, Kylah sees, are both very busy at the moment with other wedding guests. The party has spilled out of the Arboretum into the adjoining corridors, but she is able to extricate herself and then make her way to Transporter Room 3. Chief Nguyen is behind the control console.

Onn also leaves the party behind.

Down on the planet, the other alien says, "Yes, we have learned a great deal about your Federation recently. Languages, including those of the Federation, have many things in common, but some significant differences, as well, and of course some words which do not translate well, or at all."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah greets Chief Nguyen and asks him if he could beam her down to the planet, all while opening her communicator.

She writes a quick text to Velir.
    VELIR - Are you still down on the planet? I would like to join you, if you still wish and are not busy. If so, can you send me the location, please? Or the coordinates for Chief Nguyen, if you have them. -- KYLAH
    After sending, she smiles and lifts her communicator, as if the Chief will understand what it means. She realizes this and almost laughs. "I am just waiting for the coordinates. I am sorry you were unable to go to Lt. Graham's wedding. Will your watch be over soon? The reception is really just starting."

She suddenly wonders if perhaps Chief Nguyen does not wish to go, for one reason or another. Wanting to give him a way to say so without seeming impolite, she adds, "Of course not everyone enjoys parties. It is quite crowded."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Reaching her quarters at last, Nia pushes her way through the door that doesn’t seem to open nearly fast enough. Her cabin’s a mess, fairly status quo, especially since she’s only just returned after spending the past week in a glorified storage locker and hasn’t had time or inclination to unpack.

When she hears her friend’s tread behind her she groans in exasperation. “Andy Johnson, you do not have to hover over me like a nurse at a creche. I appreciate the concern, I swear, but I’ve just gotta be angry and miserable for a while. I’m entitled to pout on my own after that… that…”

How to finish this sentence? That ‘farce’? That ‘sham’? No. The ceremony was real, the emotions were real. That’s the whole fucking problem.

Deflating, she takes off her boots, then pads slowly to her closet to toss them inside. Next comes her dress uniform, which falls to the floor before she kicks it to join the boots. Now in her lingerie--not self-conscious in front of Ajay, this is practically overdressed compared to the majority of time they’ve spent in her quarters--she rolls her stiff shoulder muscles while staring dully at the closet’s contents. “Whatever it was. I just want to sleep. Preferably in a cocoon.”

Registered
    Sep 2009

Ajay wanders into Nia's familiar cabin and dumps himself on the corner of the bed, keeping an apparently drunken eye on Nia, although the half empty bottle he had been obviously swigging from hadn’t changed volume from the time he had picked it up. Along with that Nia had obviously not noticed the few people who had been keeping an eye on her over the last few hours. The last thing they wanted to do was give her the opportunity to mope until later, and well, now is later.

“'Occasion', is the word I think you’re looking for. Although I wouldn’t worry too much, I think most people are looking for an excuse to unwind after the last couple of weeks and got to use today as it. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of sore heads in the morning and I’m pretty sure Vargas is going to have his work cut out trying to suppress all the footage of all the worst dancing going on.”

He scans an eye over Nia, and sees her trying to ease out some kinks in her muscles. “You want a hand with those shoulders?”

+ + + +

After staring into the abyss of her closet, Nia reaches for her jade green robe. Something else she associates with Booker. Ridiculous. Depression gives way to anger. “No, I don’t want to feel relaxed right now. I’m feeling a rant coming on.” She yanks the robe from its hanger and practically flings it onto her body.

“Did you hear her? Right at the last minute, ‘oh right, you’re the one who helped save my kid’s life, here’s some gratitude.’ Five minutes earlier she didn’t even recognize me.”

Nia slams her hands on her hips and tilts her head toward her mirror. “I’m easy to forget, right? Just another tall, dark-skinned long-haired lizard woman who spent the day conjuring one absurd idea after another to protect her. She probably only put two and two together when she saw me talking to Boojee.”

The bitter words reverberate in her head, and she grimaces and rubs her temple. “Damn it. Listen to me, Aje. She didn’t do anything wrong. I’m aiming phaser fire at the wrong target.”

+ + + +

“Well, you’re right about that at least,” Ajay continues on as he shifts slightly on the bed to stop one leg going dead. “Couple of weeks ago, she was doing fine on a mining colony. Now she’s minus one colony, most of her friends and she didn’t even get to pack a suitcase of mementos before she left. To her, you’re probably just another alien starfleet uniform with all the worry in her eyes.

Thinking about it, you probably only spent a couple of hours with her and she hasn’t seen you for days after. At least she remembered you.”

He takes a swig from the bottle, for real this time and tries not to choke on the bubbles rising in his throat. “Now Boojee on the other hand, and I’m sorry to say this, not only dumped you for his ex but went and hitched up with her. And yeah, yeah, you can say that they had no option to keep her onboard, but she could have married that Cromwell bloke instead.

"Nah, he’s the one who owes you some real thanks and apologies, although…”, Ajay stops to take another swig, “...what you are probably seeing now between them is that rose-tinted nostalgic view of that first flush of love.

"What’s likely to happen over the next few months is, all those set-in-their-ways things they’re used to doing are going to grate and grind and they will be stuck with each other in their own personal hells. If they do get on and make it work, then there is something so sickening about that, that you’re probably best clear.”

Ajay toys with the bottle looking at the bubble swirling around, seeing them fizz against the side of the glass. “This one is different for you, isn’t it. “

Nia by SidonianGal, Ajay by Ajay. Fasten your seatbelts.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Sat on the hillside, Rangin wonders how he suddenly came to go from a peaceful quiet hillside to be in the middle of this little congregation. No matter where he goes, something interesting always seems to be happening.

He is brought back to normality by the sound of his communicator. “One moment, please?”

He checks the message and as he sees who it is from a smile forms on his face. He sends the coordinates back along with a quick message.
    KYLAH -- I’m enjoying the view and would be happy for you to join me. There are still a few hours before it gets too dark. Coordinates attached, see you shortly I hope. -- VELIR
    Rangin sends the message back and then looks around at the rest of the group before standing up and brushing the grass off the back of his legs.

“Well, much fun though this is, if you will excuse me, I appear to have a visitor coming my way.” he politely says to the group, “It has been good to meet you,” he addresses to the two Dardari “ and I hope to see you on board the Yorktown Mr. Mäkeläinen. Once you have settled in, let me know and I would be happy to show you round.”

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah immediately hears her communicator and, reading the message, smiles again. She passes along the coordinates to Chief Nguyen.

Registered
    Sep 2009

This is different, isn't it. A straightforward question. Nia lets her hand drop to her side, meets Ajay's gaze, and gives a straightforward answer.

“Yes,” she says quietly. “It is. Look at me. Have you ever seen me like this? Mourning over a man? But Book is… He moved me. I don’t know why. He’s been through so much, and all it’s there in his eyes. And he tries so hard to do the right thing by everyone--what he thinks is right. Or what he thinks is the least bad. But he can’t let himself off the hook and… "

Nia shakes her head, aching for him. "I don’t know. It's not just his 'dark past,' I'm not some idiot trying to change someone. I’ve met guys with dark histories before, everyone’s got their own pain. And I’ve heard lots of drunken pity-parties from some who only wanted my sympathy while naked.

"I gave it to them not ‘cause I bought their lines--they could’ve saved all that B.S. I just wanted a good time for a night or two and then bye-bye, off to the next.”

Sighing, she looks down at the robe’s belt, which she’s currently tying closed. “But look what he's done to my mindset. I really thought I’d make a go of it with Book. And him with me. Like a real couple. Monogamous and everything. Not even so much because he changed me, although he did. But… I changed him. I had an effect on him. At least... I think I did.”

Her thoughts drift back to their conversations over the past few weeks, and slowly the frown leaves her face. It takes a moment to put her thoughts into words.

“I did. I know I did,” she says gently. "He’s a widower--I’m pretty sure I've told you that. His wife, Jane…he adored her. Like, head-over-heels adored her, and had this precious child with her, and the two of them were his whole universe. There's never been a doubt in my mind that she'll always be first in his heart. I never expected that to change--I wouldn't be that presumptuous. But... well, not that long ago, we were in bed. And he called me by her name.”

Her gaze darts up to Ajay. “Not that way, it's not what it sounds like. He'd had been a long day and he'd almost fallen asleep. I was holding him close, and just before drifting off, he wished me goodnight. And called me 'Jane.'

"It stung a bit, but honestly, it was a compliment. He felt safe and cared for, same as he did with her. How? Who lets himself get that vulnerable with me? Who’s ever done that?"

Her lips part slightly as she inhales, facing a moment that turns her heart over. “Also… he told me he never thought he’d fall in love again until he met me. The way that made me feel... I--I thought he was trying to tell me--”

She cuts herself off and her hands jerk apart the knot she’s just tied, anger again flickering to life. “But no. He didn’t mean he actually was in love with me. Obviously. Just that I'd started his engine again. I was the warm-up act, the trial run. Got him primed. Reminded him what a woman felt like in his arms, in his bed. How her mouth tastes, how she tastes…”

Nia turns away from Ajay, glaring at her reflection in her mirror. “But I get it. In the end, the women he's wants, the ones he’s into… Jane, Marala, even CeCe with that little flirtation thing they had for a while... they're all so much more womanly. More feminine, anyway. Beautiful. Probably strong, in their way, but not hard. And they’re all human.

“Meanwhile I’m not soft, I hang around with engies rebuilding a shuttle, I've ordered him around on missions--a couple of them, anyway." She lifts her fingers to trace the scales on edges of her face and collar bone, leading down to her breasts and running further, unseen, on the skin beneath her silver silk camisole. "And I’m definitely not human," she says softly.

Her arms suddenly fold across her chest. "I never stood a chance in the long run. On the bright side, hey, at least he got his practice in, until he met someone he could actually fall in love with. And now Mrs. Boojee’s gonna reap the rewards of all my patience and hard work." She turns to Ajay with a crooked smile. "Looks like she owes me again.”

+ + + +

Ajay is not sure he has ever seen Nia so screwed up over a lover before, and he wonders if there is something else going on that he doesn't know about. Dropping the drunken act he looks straight across at her.

"You? A starter course? You're kidding me, right? For fuck’s sake Nia, scuttlebutt had Graham in deep over you. If that colony had not gone up, Marala would still be on that planet and you'd be getting hot and heavy with Mr Buggerup about now and planning a future together. Don't fucking do yourself down over the fact Graham had the stupid fucking idea to piss off and marry some Russian crumpet. It's the kind of thing you get in an advice column: Am I an idiot if I dump my current squeeze for this bint I met thirty years ago who is sitting on an exploding rock?"

Picking up the bottle, Ajay starts pacing around, giving Nia a bit more room before finally putting it down on the desk.

"I'm not helping much, am I?" He asks quietly as he turns round and sees she has moved.

Nia by SidonialGal, Ajay by me.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia snorts despite herself, then sits on the bed, leaning an elbow on her knee and her chin on her hand. “You are helping. At least I can end this crappy day knowing someone's called Marala Gromov Graham ‘Russian crumpet’.”

She sends Ajay a wry glance. “The quickie marriage thing was a crazy idea, but it wasn’t just him. I pushed him to marry her, do whatever it takes, 'no half measures' period. Why did I think this’d just be a ploy? He told me flat out that she’s ‘as special to him as anyone he’s known,’ unquote. I should’ve listened. Maybe that was his way of breaking it to me gently. Except… after he said that…"

Nia shuts her eyes, listening to the echo of Booker’s voice. "He said the same about me. "‘You’re as special as anyone I’ve ever known, too.’ I don’t hear that very often. Maybe not ever. And truth be told, I felt the same about him.”

If she had tear ducts worth a damn, she’d cry right now. Instead she sighs. “I don’t know, Aje. I can’t believe what a wreck I am. It’s not me. I thought I’d had my fill of making promises to men. No commitments ever--not breeding contracts, not making dinner plans for next week. With Booker, though… I actually started thinking ahead...” Nia swallows and stands up again to pace. “It sucks. I hate feeling like this. It’d be easier if there was something actually wrong. Physically. Then I could go to Sickbay and get it taken care of.”

She pauses and grabs at the lifeline. “That might actually be part of the issue. Not being sick, but... a hormone thing? Screwing with my emotions? Maybe it’s time to change up my birth control doses. Maybe my body’s adapted again, figured out how to defend itself against the evil invader that’s trying to stop ovulation. Which…” She laughs. “Talk about ironic. I haven’t even needed birth control for the past two months. Probably the only two-month drought since I joined the Academy. Well, since second year, anyway. My ovaries must be wondering what the hell happened.”

Sobering, she leans back against her dresser, arms crossed, and stares at Ajay’s shoes. Usually they make her smile because he has the biggest feet she’s ever seen, despite his being so… graceful looking, for lack of a better term. But her face is solemn, pensive.

“That’s part of it too. Not ovulation, but… " Now she's going someplace she doesn't want to, but she senses it needs to drawn out, like the venom after a snake bite.

"With Marala, Book’s getting a pre-made family. Not just a wife but that beautiful boy. A son. He's absolutely nuts over his daughter, don't get me wrong--he’s not the type to be disappointed that his firstborn was a girl. But he’s gotta be thrilled about Nikolai. And Booker will be such a great father.” The words catch in her throat and are almost a whisper. “I can’t give him that. I… I could, physically, but after everything back home, the idea of being pregnant…”

On cue, a swell of panic has to be beaten down. After a moment, she shakes her head. “There it is, Ajay. That’s the real killer. I watched the two of them up there today and I just feel so damned... useless. Used up. And old. I mean, going strictly by years, Marala’s older--she’s about Booker’s age so, what, probably early 50s I guess? So she's got 16 years on me. But... if you look at it as a percentage of our lifespans… How long do you humans live, like 100 or so? More?”

Ajay considers the question. "100 years old? That's the average these Star dates. If you're lucky with medical advances 120 is a possibility."

A hundred and twenty. A lifetime that long is beyond Nia’s imagination. “Right. So she’s not even half done. Me… I’m practically running on fumes. Back home, I’d have maybe ten years, a dozen maybe. Starfleet doctors and xenobiologists and everyone else who's poked around my business claim that, since I left Sidonia relatively young, avoided extra years of radiation, I’ve bought myself time. They say I probably have a lot longer. Probably.

“I never told that to Booker, but in the end he made the smart choice. Marala should be around for his whole lifetime. If he was with me, he might've outlived another wife. He shouldn’t have to experience that. I wouldn’t wish that on him.”

She rubs her dry, painful eyes, so very tired and ancient and unattractive. She doesn't know how to fix this, but she has to. She can't bear this feeling anymore. She needs to escape.

Nia slowly lowers her hand and meets Ajay’s gaze. “Aje…” Her breathing is shallow and her voice unusually fragile. “You and Dr. T’Var… are you… exclusive?”

Nia by me, Ajay by Ajay.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Chief Nguyen shrugs. "I don't particularly enjoy either weddings or crowds, so I don't mind. And someone has to be on duty here, after all. But thanks for asking, Ens. Kylah." He acknowledges the coordinates from Rangin and beams Kylah down to the planet's surface.

She finds herself on a hillside trail in thickly-wooded country. A beautiful, wide-open sky arches overhead, with a few puffy clouds scudding by high above. It is late afternoon, judging by the position of the sun, which is casting long shadows. Rangin is there, of course, and not far away Kylah sees another young Human in a blue Starfleet uniform shirt and regulation black pants and boots, and also two near-identical bald aliens with pale blue skin and mottled darker-blue markings.

+ Reply to thread