+ Reply to thread
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1730

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #7: "The War-Brotherhood of Irkhuit"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rawlings concurs with Graham.

You may try to contact the Portmaster by communicator, or there is what looks like a portable equipment stand of some kind not far from the shuttle. From past experience in other starports, you know it may have a built-in comm unit.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Booker's hesitant use of her name produces an atypically sweet smile from Nia. Then she nods her gratitude to him and Double-T for the weapons check and leads the way toward the airlock.

"Excuse me," she says to the two Uwat once her group has reached them. "My name's Nia Onn. My party and I met your First Officer back at the Black Sun, and we made arrangements for passage on board your ship." Nia makes a gesture toward the others. "Six all together, and the only belongings we have are, well, right here. Looks like we made it in time." She hesitates for a second before adding, "It was less than an hour ago, but hopefully Mr. Jol's had a chance to update you...?"

Registered
    Nov 2021

Mäkeläinen keeps a weather eye on what is happening with Nia's conversation. Any minute now they will find out if they are due for an immediate departure or more delays. He stands by to hear the Uwats' answer before worrying them with his own questions.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"I am First Officer Jol," one of the Uwat says. (They really do look a lot alike; in fact, to all but Kylah, they look absolutely identical). His voice sounds no different from before. "I have not forgotten our agreement. This is Calan, Chief of Security."

Calan nods. "I will scan you now for weapons and contraband, before you go aboard." He raises a hand scanner of alien design.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's face tingles with a flush, though only for a second. Her blood's moving too slowly through her system to waste time for mere embarrassment. "Oh. My apologies for not recognizing you, Mr. Jol. My eyesight's not in great shape. Allergies," she explains with a vague shrug.

"I don't think there should be a problem with a search...?" She casts an eye to Booker. "I can tell you now, you'll find phasers on our persons. Pretty sure all of us have one." She lifts an eyebrow at Kyah. Offhand she can't picture Kylah with a weapon at all--she's hard-pressed to recall if the girl's ever even held one in Nia's presence.

"Booker, is there anything you wanna declare? What about you, Doc? Your case wouldn't have any vulnerabilities if exposed to a scan. Or, uh... mine? With my--my allergy meds?"

Registered
    Nov 2021

"Standard medicaments and supplies in my kit," says Dr. Mäkeläinen, "nothing contraband. The meds I gave you are a prescription compound."

He blinks, then glances down at his left arm. "Low-power cybernetics."

"However, Mr. Jol," he addresses that officer, "there is a slight problem with this package. I do not mean that it is contraband; I mean that we are not taking it at all. Can we get someone to collect it, before boarding? We also need to relay a message, if possible."

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah smiles very slightly at Dr. Mäkeläinen's smooth transition to asking about the package of evidence. The idea leaps into her head to suggest that it was something they found at The Black Sun, but she thinks better of it. In the short time she has known the doctor, she has already come to trust his judgment. He would have included that detail if it were helpful--perhaps it would be revealing too much information that could further delay departure.

So she just looks with open honesty at First Officer Jol and his crewmate. Realizing the latter is owed some recognition, she nods to him. "It is good to meet you, Mr. Calan."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia does a double-take when the doctor makes a very brief reference to cybernetics, and is now fairly itching to ask him for some technical details, fascinated as she is by the subject. His hand? Forearm? The whole arm? Of course she doesn't gawk; who knows, he might be sensitive about it. Admittedly, Mäkeläinen doesn't seem the type to be touchy, but you never know. The benefits of such an upgrade make this something to be desired--as far as Nia's concerned, at least; still, there could be some sensitivity related to how he lost the... body part, whichever it was. Anyway, there's time to ask during the trip.

She hears Kylah's greeting and belatedly realizes that yeah, ignoring the security guy wasn't exactly the best outreach. "Yes, indeed it is, Mr. Calan. We're very grateful that you have thorough safety precautions on the--" Nia hastily scans her mind, trying to recall the full name of the ship. "The--Empress--The Immortal Glory of the Empress--" Shit. Her head shakes in apology. "The Doregg."

Registered
    Mar 2012

"The Glorious and Immutable Legacy of the Empress Doregg," Kylah supplies helpfully without hesitation. "Or, properly, Doregg Ganiellej vu Felennek duj Legelvekkan na heid Jovel. Please forgive any mistakes in my pronunciation; I may have misheard the First Officer back at the club." She glances at both of the officers. "Though that is all I know of Uwat, it seems to be a descriptive and elegant language."

The look Lt. Onn aims at her is unreadable, and Kylah decides not to try. This is one translation she prefers to leave alone.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Graham says nothing.

Jol regards the good doctor for a long time before he says, "As you wish. For 200 Federation credits, I will arrange for delivery of the package and the message."

To Kylah he says, "Thank you. You are almost correct. Your pronunciation is quite good, for a non-Uwat."

Calan scans you all carefully. He has no objection to Dr. Mäkeläinen's cybernetic arm or medkit. His scan also detects all of your communicators, phaser-1s, Rangin's Science tricorder and the doctor's Medical tricorder. He says, sounding just like Jol, "These items are all contraband and you may not have them aboard. Please give them to me, and they will be returned to you when you disembark."
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Oct 2023 at 11:08 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The words sink in and, unseen, Kylah's hand reaches for Velir's coat sleeve. Her fingers have been cold since giving her mittens to Lt. Onn, but now they are bloodless with alarm. She clutches the wool material and shifts her gaze to him without a word.

Is he thinking of the Sakathian mission? Kylah cannot help it; it was her first on the Yorktown--meaning her first ever in Starfleet, period--and it had nearly been scuttled when the landing party were forced to give up their weapons. Lt. Collins and balked at first, but Captain Singh had reluctantly told them to follow the Lab Director's orders.

And a day later they were fleeing for their lives with nothing but a single stolen phaser, pipes and improvised weapons when attacked by the infected, mutated Sakathians seeking flesh. Dozens lost. Lt. Fujishiro eventually dead of the injuries sustained there. Velir... changed. Kylah was fortunate in only suffering a vicious bite from a Denebian Slime Devil, but the ache from that bite has never fully vanished. Nor have the memories of the horrors she saw, along with those of the others around her that her empathic senses unwillingly endured.

"I do not like this," she says under her breath to Velir--the only one in the party who was with her on that mission. Her fear is irrational, with the odds of their needing weapons exceedingly small. But that is what the party had been assured back on the research station. All she can do is seek comfort from Velir, and then drag her gaze over to Lt. Onn and Lt. Graham, the latter of whom will undoubtedly make the call.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Two hundred seems fair," Nia murmurs as she tilts her head from Doc M. to Jol to indicate the former should give the package to the latter. Meanwhile, she pulls out her communicator. Only makes sense for her to pay--she has no idea how much everyone else has ponied up while she was in slumberland over at the hospital. Did we even pay for the hospital? she suddenly wonders as she pulls off a mitten to better poke at the screen buttons, accessing her account.

She nearly taps the transfer button when the stipulation about the phasers comes up. Though she pauses, it doesn't really surprise her. "Um, just one sec, Mr. Jol?" If able, she tries to corral the crew a little farther away for a quick discussion. Once they're out of earshot--depending on how good Uwat hearing is--she'll say: "Doc, unless you see an issue with the package deal, hand it over to him? The price is reasonable. Pricey but that's to be expected."

She clears her throat. "The weapons confiscation's reasonable too. I wouldn't let armed strangers on my ship. And I don't wanna waste time with a negotiation. But... that's me. I want this planet to look like a dust speck in five minutes." Nia focuses steadily on Booker. "However, our top priority's the crew's safety. What do you think?"

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen's eyes inscrutably bore into Jol's for a good beat, in turn, but he hands over the package. "This goes back to the Port Authority offices. It's clearly marked."

He would like to relay a message to the Yorktown, of course, but with the Uwat doing the relaying themselves he cannot simply ask them to send something through to a Starfleet ship, much less supply any Starfleet authentication codes, not without blowing their cover wide open, even though he has a feeling Jol and some others already know or suspect who they are. An entirely encrypted message would not be very discreet, either. He covers by saying, "For the message, merely the time and circumstances of our departure. It was a last-minute arrangement, as you know." That way, at least there will be some trace should they... vanish. 200 Federation credits does not sound even remotely reasonable, but, at this point, he is not about to argue, even if it ends up coming out of his own pay.

He does not care at all about turning over communicators or phasers, but is a little unhappy about turning over his medical tricorder. In a real emergency, like, say, crashing on an ice world, will there be time to retrieve it from wherever it will have been stowed? However, he is a professional and knows how to work without high-tech instruments, should it ever come to that.

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods to acknowledge Nia's question. He very slowly reaches to unholster his phaser.

"As the senior security officer on this mission, I fully understand the weight of your responsibility to ensure the safety of your ship and those onboard, Chief Calan. I hope you also appreciate the degree of trust we--I--would be putting in you if I hand this over."

He looks back at Nia. "I would prefer that the crew see us as assets and allies in keeping the ship and anyone on it safe." Then he turns back to Calan. "But it's your ship and I respect your decision as chief of security."

He slowly and deliberately turns the phaser operator-hand toward Calan.

Registered
    Apr 2015

With Booker having made his assessment of the situation and decided to agree, Nia can't think of a reason to argue otherwise. Following his lead, she (reluctantly) opens her coat to the cold air and carefully removes her phaser, just as he does. She looks around at the others who haven't done so yet, trying not to show her impatience but also mutely telling them to give up their phasers on the double.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah feels more and more on edge. Are her own experiences weighing too heavily on her? It is like the worst moments on the Sakath station and Anubis. Do the senior officers truly not see what they are currently risking?

She puts a hand on her phaser but does not remove it. "Sir," she says quietly to Lt. Graham, forgetting the casual address--but then, she refers to every older man as "sir" so perhaps it does not matter--"Do you not think--is it not prudent for us to first get in touch with our--our friends back home? To let them know we have found transport after all?"

Uncertain if her point is obvious, she relinquishes her hold on Velir's sleeve and tugs at Lt. Graham's, then tiptoes to whisper into his ear. "We must let Mr. Vargas or someone know with whom we are traveling. If not, once we give up our weapons, we will be defenseless. And if no one knows where we are, they could kidnap us. Or do anything." She bites her lip, then continues in a rush, "We should at least tell the man back at the Port Authority before we leave."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin quietly replies to Kylah, his voice tight, "I agree. But we're in kind of a bind here. We have to get offworld, and this looks like the best, and maybe the only, way to do it as soon as we need to."

Jol takes the package from Dr. Mäkeläinen and says, "Understood. It will be done." Onn transfers payment to him with her communicator.

Calan does not directly respond to Graham, but collects the party's communicators, phaser-1s and tricorders. Rawlings looks very unhappy but follows Graham's lead and complies. Calan exchanges a look with Jol and says flatly, "Starfleet gear, all of this. Interesting." He puts it in a metal box and locks it.

Jol says, "Come, let us board." He marches towards the nearby Uwat shuttle.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah was nodding grim agreement with Velir when suddenly her communicator is whisked away as well as her weapon. Now she stands, numb, feeling naked yet perspiring at the same time despite the weather. Every bad thing that has happened to her has been due to a lack of her communicator. Barely a week ago she had a panic attack begging the security officer not to take the device from her after she was confined to quarters--and that was in her own cabin, on the ship, with hundreds of colleagues not very far away and the ability to access Security through her computer.

Now? With a defenseless group lightyears from any ally? With utter strangers who hate Starfleet? Velir possibly wanted for murder? And no one even knowing the ship on which they will be transported?

Her light hand on Lt. Graham's arm turns into a death grip. Every symptom of another incipient attack nearly incapacitates her. Rapid heart rate. Difficulty breathing. Dizziness. Feeling of impending death. Tremor. Chills. Narrow vision. Adrenaline racing through her demanding that she run to escape the enemy.

But what can she possibly do? As Velir said, they must get home, particularly due to Lt. Onn's situation but also since Velir may be a wanted man for all they know. Kylah is well aware that of all the crew, she is the one considered the weakest link. Throughout this mission, she has done her best to repair her reputation. Has she not maintained her professionalism despite all the mishaps? Even with the moribund Tesla, crashing on a frozen planet, much less discovering the prejudice against Starfleet and Velir's dreadful incident?

Fighting her every instinct, she remains still and gives what may pass as a calm look of agreement. If Velir's new empathic abilities are even half as sensitive as hers, he will not be fooled. Indeed, if he knows her at all, he would not be fooled. But trying despite her terror must count for something. You are a survivor, Ens. Alvarez told her last week. Maybe he was right?

In the dim possibility that he was correct, she must be rational enough to think of a way out of this. "Booker," she blurts with her gaze straight on Jol before returning to Lt. Graham. How strange to call him by his first name--she does not believe she has ever done so. The thought flashes only briefly before she continues. "The Portmaster. Do not forget what he told us. He ordered us to contact him before we leave."

Another quick look, this time at Lt. Onn--who is staring at her with a gaze Kylah still cannot read--before returning to Lt. Graham intently. She squeezes his arm once more before loosening her grip. "Indeed, he suggested he might refuse to allow a ship clearance to leave without hearing from us. Surely we ought to contact the Port Authority and let him know we are departing--and with whom?"

Registered
    Apr 2015

A whole porcupine's worth of prickles stab Nia when her scales try to emerge from their dormant state but fail. She's not surprise to feel them; she's not happy at all, other than the fact that they might be on their way soon.

Without phasers? Sure. Communicators? Why the hell would they be considered 'contraband'? Nia barely has time to comply before her device is plucked from her hand. "Wait. Why do you need--"

Then the security guy takes Dr. Mäkeläinen's tricorder and Nia's speech chokes to a stop. She stands with mouth still parted mid-sentence, watching the vital device move farther from the doc's possession. She tries to keep a poker face but this is too much even for her. After flashing a helpless look at Mäkeläinen, she transfers it next to Booker. Book. Do something. I'm out of thoughts.

As she's about to protest, Kylah speaks up, and though Nia's about to warn the girl to shut the fuck up, the idea turns out to be... not bad. Nia forgot--forgot, what the hell?!--that they absolutely need to let the Yorktown know the name of this vessel at the very least.
    Turns out Kylah's point is a good one. And maybe even true; Nia has no idea what the Portmaster told them.

So, closing her mouth, Nia watches the younger woman grabbing onto Booker like a monkey clinging to a tree with something like hope. Kylah actually sounds like she knows what she's talking about. Doesn't solve Nia's issue and the importance of Mäkeläinen keeping track of her health status, but at least it puts a halt on the rapid proceedings.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Another Uwat emerges from the shuttle. Jol says something to him (her?) and hands over Dr. Mäkeläinen's package. The third Uwat takes it, leaves the docking bay and heads back down the access corridor through which you came.

Rawlings and Rangin, neither looking delighted, follow Jol towards the shuttle.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen, holding on to his medkit, takes a final look around the docking bay. With all personnel cleared out, it really does look like they will launch just as soon as everyone is safely on board. He looks encouragingly at his nervous friends— he can tell every single one of them is uneasy to some degree, not the least Kylah— but he has no idea any better than they what they are walking into, nor how to read the Uwat (who seem like archetypically pragmatic space traders; Starfleet, whoever the other group is, it does not seem to matter as long as their money is good and they do not cause... complications).

He stays near Nia, still keeping an eye on her (even without a tricorder) and ready to tend to her should she need it. Addressing also the nearby Kylah and Booker, he explains, "That package should be drawing some attention at the Port Authority in about an hour, and I made sure it was traceable back to us, including our exact outbound flight. Best I could do under the circumstances, but they'll know where we are."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia's eyes search the doctor's expression as she tries to gauge if he's telling the truth or placating her. It's his life too, she thinks, as rationally as she can. Hardly in his interest to falsely claim he's given their info to the Port Authority. She flicks a look at Booker. It strikes her that she's now equally dependent on him and Mäkeläinen. She hates that. She hates being needy or frail or weak or so utterly, nakedly vulnerable.

"Satisfactory," she says, her quick nod relying on both her genuine gratitude and the sputtering engine of her confidence. "Very satisfactory, Doc. Good man in a pinch." With a smile, she turns on her heel to follow Rawlings and Rangin's lead. I should be leading. They shouldn't've had to take the dive first. Her fingers tighten into fur-covered fists.

...Which is when it occurs to her that she's not carrying the medication case. Her head swivels back and, with a stab of intense relief, she spots the case on the ground, where she was standing. Of course--she'd had to place it down when she paid for the messenger, right before they were scanned. Nia grabs the handle like the life preserver it very literally is, avoiding looking at anyone, especially Mäkeläinen who must think her a ditz. Once again she heads to the Doregg. But her pace slows slightly when she considers what she just recalled. I put it down before we were scanned.

Casually she moves her arm slightly so the case is hidden in the folds of her fur coat. Then her step quickens, heading toward the hatch without further hesitation even as more questions blink silently in her mind like a yellow alert.

She can't remember if the Uwat officer saw the case. Did he? What if he hasn't scanned it yet? What if he does and decides the drugs are contraband too?

What if someone takes it?

Registered
    Mar 2012

With Velir and Ens. Rawlings having boarded, Kylah is now equally as anxious for them being alone on the ship as she is wary of joining them. Her suggestion to speak with the Port Authority administrator will take too long, and things are moving so quickly*--Lt. Onn has just left too, with the Doctor keeping close watch on her--for Kylah to delay.

She still feels dizzy from the unexpected stab of fear that she sensed from the older woman after Lt. Onn left a second time, having returned briefly to retrieve the small medicine case. Kylah does not know why Lt. Onn had such a reaction after getting her medication safely, more so than when she appeared to have forgotten it. Yet her head was held high and her stride was sure.

"I could not do what she does," Kylah says softly. "I will never be that kind of officer. Or person." With a minuscule shake of her head, she looks up at Lt. Graham. "I suppose there is no choice now but to board. I am sorry, I should have spoken sooner. I hope--"

She cuts off and clasps her hands together tightly, as if trying to crush her fears into oblivion. Nothing will happen. The man beside her is capable of protecting their party if something should occur--and what threat really exists? It is a small ship. Lt. Graham's presentation of strong, quietly constrained lethality will be a deterrent even if there were anything to fear, as will Mr. Rawlings's... well, Mr. Rawlings.

Dr. Mäkeläinen is--she does not know how to put it in words: He seems to plan for many contingencies. He thinks several steps ahead. If it were not considered a pejorative by many human cultures, she would almost call him crafty, yet that does not suit him either. Of course she hardly knows him, but these are not merely empathic impressions. She has witnessed his abilities in the short time they have served together.

As for Lt. Onn and Velir... their conditions are concerning, extremely so, but Kylah trusts them both.

"I am sure we will be fine," she finishes with an exhale. "We are going home." Swallowing, she starts off to the Doregg--not striding, like Lt. Onn. But moving forward.

* What? They totally are... in game-time!
    Last edited by choie; 07 Nov 2023 at 07:10 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2021

With a steady hand, Bizhi helps Nia climb up and through the airlock hatch. That is it— once they are safely on board, he is prepared to order her to get some rest, should it come to that. Resting in their cabins is consistent with keeping a low profile, in any case. He himself could use a "watch below", but first he will see her safely through any remaining formalities.

He looks back at the rest of their comrades still outside. Kylah, looking even more nervous than usual, is coming up with Booker. None of them have any formal duties as passengers on board an alien ship, but, when he gets a chance, he would like to ask especially the security men if they have any specific instructions beyond sticking together as much as possible and remaining vigilant. They are in for a ride of three or four days and will have to organize themselves, individually or collectively, into some sort of routine and ways of spending the time. He would like a look around the Doregg after things are settled.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Calan did see and scan Onn's medicine case, and raised no objection to it.

You all board the shuttle which is to take you up to the Doregg, in orbit of this frozen world. There are lumpy, scuffed acceleration couches, nearly horizontal, in the low-ceilinged main compartment. Although clearly not designed for humanoids, they look like they will serve well enough. Jol and Calan take to couches at the bow, near the forward viewscreen. Jol begins what is apparently a preflight check on a flexible, strangely-contoured control panel that he pulls close to himself. After a few minutes, the third Uwat returns, empty-handed, closing and sealing the airlock door before lying down on another couch.

"Shuttle ready," Jol announces. "Stand by. Fourteen seconds to liftoff."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia, hoping her luck might be changing but not placing any bets, tries to catch whatever glimpse of the shuttle's tech she can. She also takes a quick visual scan of her crewmates, cautiously ensuring they're all secured on the couches. (Which she finds a bizarre way to travel though she's not in a position to be fussy.) It does make her curious about what the accommodations will be like on the actual ship.

Registered
    Mar 2012

The shuttle is unfamiliar, of course, but the sort of Elasian vessels Kylah and her family flies or sails upon always offer plush settees or other types of lounging furnishings like this--although of far higher quality and comfort. She takes it in stride and moves without hesitation beside Velir... or as close as the arrangements allow; if she can be right next to him, she will.

She gives him an encouraging look, then offers the same to the rest of their party. They are on board and without any apparent unpleasantness having occurred, Kylah can exhale more fully and perhaps even enjoy the ride up to the Doregg.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Mäkeläinen considers the acceleration couches (as he makes to strap himself to one). The Uwat's lack of a circulatory system should make them much more resistant to g-forces than humanoids. Their relatively large size compared to small insects would, on the other hand, limit the mechanical stress their bodies can absorb. It is very far from a linear relationship... Velir could probably tell him more about it. Acceleration resistance or not, the couches' presence appears to indicate a different design philosophy than Starfleet's reliance on an intricate system of inertial dampeners, so he tries to make sure everything is attached securely despite the unfamiliar equipment. If anyone is having trouble, he will help them, verbally if possible since with the final countdown down to a few seconds he, too, needs to hold on. He looks over at Velir, and an obviously affectionate Kylah keeping close to him. Then back to Nia, and the rest of the party.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn notices odd ducting and what appear to be electronics clusters along the ceiling, and several misshapen mechanical nodes built at irregular intervals into the bulkheads. It is unfamiliar tech to her but looks, she thinks, to be a bit less advanced than the Federation's.

Everyone quickly gets settled on the acceleration couches. Kylah grabs one next to Rangin's, although they are just out of reach of each other. Dr. Mäkeläinen is able to help Onn get settled.

Jol looks around, sees that everyone is in place, and counts down to liftoff. In complete silence other than the wind rushing by outside, the shuttle emerges from the shadowy docking bay into the bright winter glare of Ollos's star. The acceleration pushes you down deep into the couches; none of you can feel any inertial dampening at all. Rawlings remembers, with chagrin, his high-gee training at Starfleet Academy. Graham guesses you're pulling at least four, maybe five gees, and it seems to be increasing. Through the forward viewscreen, you can now see clouds parting ahead.

After a few seconds, Onn passes out.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah cannot think clearly enough to recall how much force she withstood during training, or even to calculate how heavy she feels, but it seems a miracle she is not being forced through the seat behind her. Have they any experience in safely transporting humanoids before? Did anyone ask?

Her head is pressed against the cushion in the wrong direction--to Kylah, the 'right' direction would be toward Velir, of course--but, she remembers, she does not need to see Velir to communicate with him. After a brief hesitation during which she debates whether he will realize that normally psi-capable users must initiate contact, she decides Velir is still too new to his abilities to understand how they work.

Velir, can you hear me? Are you all right?

On the positive side, she is able to see Dr. Mäkeläinen. Kylah focuses on him, hoping he knows what they should--or can--do.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen is busy feeling his very eyeballs pressing down into his skull and an elephant sitting on his chest, all of his limbs turned to lead. But the acceleration is not— yet— dangerous, lying back on the specially designed couches.

[I am not positive whether he can tell that Onn is passed out---I suppose that if he makes the physical effort to turn his head and look at her, he may be able to tell based on her muscle tone that she is unconscious versus merely with her eyes closed. However:]

He knows he cannot get up; maybe he could make an effort to get loose and move, risking rolling off the couch and crashing to the floor, but trying to stand up at four, five gees or more risks passing out from blood pooling in the lower extremities. Certainly it would be impossible to carry out normal activities.

He is not a shuttle pilot, but having been a shuttle passenger he knows that the engines cut off... ten minutes from launch? That order of magnitude, anyway. So he could wait until then to do something, make sure Nia is all right. Throttling down the engines prematurely could have unfortunate consequences, like the trajectory of this flying brick intersecting the surface of the planet. But the pilot may be able to reduce the acceleration and adjust their course to compensate? At least for a minute? What Bizhi can do is tense his muscles to grunt out the words, "One of us is having issues with the acceleration! I should check on her! Please, can we slow down as soon as it's safe? Tell me when it's OK to stand."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah hears a very tentative psi reply from Rangin: Kylah? Yes, I can hear you, just barely. I'm uncomfortable but doing OK. How about you?

Jol answers Dr. Mäkeläinen, his raspy voice unchanged through the vocoder although he is speaking more slowly, "Acceleration will stop when we have reached escape velocity. Another few minutes."

Registered
    May 2013

Graham manages little more than nods, grunts, and glances as they give up their gear.

A real Kobayashi Maru moment, he thinks - feeling he certainly owes Ens. Kylah an explanation later that he's as unhappy as anyone about the situation but...missing this ride at this moment may mean Nia's a good as dead.

His level of concern rises when Nia passes out - and there's no fucking way he or the doc is moving under this pressure.

It's not totally unexpected anyone would pass out...except she's a killer pilot....

Registered
    Mar 2012

Velir's soft voice eases Kylah's fears somewhat, although the increasing agitation from the others in the craft has the opposite effect. She remains focused on him. I feel like something massive is crushing me. When she still cannot move her head, she searches the others visible to her. The doctor says someone is in trouble. Lt. Onn or Mr. Rawlings, I think. I cannot see either.

She is grateful for Mr. Jol's reassurance, such as it is, as far as how long they must endure this. They will have to discuss whatever they are to expect on the actual ship. Will there be artificial gravity?
    Last edited by choie; 18 Nov 2023 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Velir's soft "vice"? If Nia were awake she'd find a dirty joke in that, but Kylah's far too ladylike for such things..

Registered
    Nov 2021

Mäkeläinen can do nothing but hold on grimly and wait for the acceleration to cut out. There may be further engine burns later, but at least he should have a window of time to move around and work. A few minutes of unconsciousness should not result in any damage... normally.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The minutes seem to crawl by, but eventually the sky ahead turns to black and the shuttle's acceleration ends. The oppressive weight lifts at once from your chests and limbs, and you indeed find yourselves in zero gravity.

Kylah notices two orbiting ships ahead through the viewscreen, then a third. She can just see the glowing curve of Ollos itself off to starboard.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Immeasurably grateful to be able to breathe freely again, much less move, Kylah releases her grip on the cushion and finds herself floating a few inches into the air. She turns to Velir, smiles, then stares at the view ahead. "Which ship is yours, sir?" she asks First Officer Jol, too relieved to even remember her other crewmates.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Too far off to see just yet," the Uwat replies. "Soon."

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen unfastens himself as soon as the engines cease roaring and pushes off the acceleration couch. No inertial dampeners also means no artificial gravity, it seems. "Just give me a monition if things are about to get bumpy," he asks the Uwat.

He manoeuvres over to the motionless Nia and checks her vital signs. A tricorder would make this automatic and instant, but he knows what to do. He estimates her temperature, pulse, and respiration rate by hand. He checks for motor response and shines a light into her pupils (the one built into his left forearm again proving its utility). If she seems stable, he will fetch his medical kit and administer Nia's dose of Lexorin along with a half-dose of the mildest stimulant he has on hand.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham leans forward, watching the doctor attend to Nia.

He resists getting up - since there's basically nothing I can do and that's one more body banging around if things get bumpy suddenly - but it's not easy to rush to Nia's side.

"Doc, how is she?" he asks, keeping his voice calm, trying not to rush the doctor's work.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Jol says, "Yes, I will announce the return of gravity, of course." He checks an ovoid gauge. "In just over six minutes."

Onn is unconscious but does not seem in distress. Her vital signs are stable if relatively weak. She responds well to the hypospray Dr. Mäkeläinen gives her, and in a few seconds her eyelids flutter open.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Cold, Nia shudders even beneath her fur coat, but the movement seems to wake her up--at least, from her perspective. The first thing she sees is Booker's face, lying near her, and while blurry--everything is, this morning--it's a welcome, familiar sight. He usually wakes up before she does, in her warm bed, and the moments before they get up for duty are some of the most delicious, langorous time they spend. They may not be lovers yet, but there's love of a different kind enfolding them together along with her blanket.

A sense of intimacy tugging her soul to his like a soft ribbon brings a gentle, tilting smile to her lips. "Hey hon," she murmurs lazily, and starts to shift her right arm to let her fingertips caress the bristle on his chin...

But she can't because her arm's not moving--it's way too heavy to lift. And Booker's not in her bed. For that matter, neither is she.

Abruptly her mind adjusts to time, place and situation--all of which are very different from her pleasant little fantasy. Her gaze shoots from the bizarre couches to the grotty ship interior to, most of all, Dr. Mäkeläinen hovering over her with some concern but--fortunately--nothing dire that she can see.

"What's happened," she asks, voice still no louder than a whisper. Nia girds herself and tries again with more success. "What's going on. Where are we?" Nia tries to find the rest of the crew, but she's too weak to do much physical leaning yet.

So she again looks at Booker, eyes a mixture of embarrassment at how she'd addressed him earlier, and concern for whatever the hell she's missed while the crew soldiered on without her useless presence. "Status report, now."

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen marks the moment Nia's eyes snap into focus. He pushes back in zero-G to give her some space. In response to Booker's query, he gives the former a quick thumbs-up. He gives Booker the opportunity to answer her while he efficiently clears away used hypo vials and his other kit before anything has a chance to float away.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham holds up a hand in a calming gesture. "Heavy gees on the way up. It's OK, we're still on way to the ship...you just blacked out...for a moment," he adds quickly.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Gaze shifting from one man to the next, waiting for them to help Lt. Onn, Kylah remains still, one hand holding onto the nearest piece of fixed furniture.

But from the searching gaze Lt. Onn sends Lt. Graham, then the Doctor and back to Graham, Kylah senses the others are not telling the Lieutenant much. Or rather, not what she needs to know... at least that is what Kylah guesses, not from empathy but pure sympathy in recognizing the Sidonian's trapped-animal stare.

She lowers her voice and leans slightly forward. "We are on a shuttle, leaving Ollos. The Uwat shuttle, taking us to their ship. The Doregg." She licks her lips to moisten them and then murmurs, "They have no inertial dampers and we were all affected by the gravity during takeoff." Perhaps Lt. Onn will feel better if she believes others were in distress too. At least, it cannot hurt. Which is more than she can say for most lies.

"And now we are heading to the Doregg, which will take us home. The Yorktown--or as near as we can get to it. Everyone is fine now, ma'am. Yourself included. Do not be distressed." She tries a helpful smile, which she shares with the others encouragingly. "We are all safe. Is that not so?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rawlings says, "Sure seems so. We were all surprised by the heavy gees on our way up, ma'am. But I think - I hope - the worst is behind us now."

Rangin nods, smiling at Onn encouragingly. "We're in orbital space now. Should be just a few minutes more to get to the Uwat starship, and then we'll be on our way home."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Arms bracing herself, Nia listens to the crew reassuring her. That's her job, not theirs. But she feels like a child, an overprotected child--not that she experienced that sort of background but she knows they exist. The product of one of those backgrounds is staring at her now. The pretty princess speaking of home, backed up by knights errant.

A flash of memory strikes her. From a vid, an ancient tale. One of Andy's bizarre choices to indoctrinate her to Earth culture. The memory is sepia-toned. That pretty girl on a bed.
    But I did leave you. That's just the trouble. And I tried to get back for days and days… but it wasn't a dream. It was a place. And you, and you, and you… and you were there...
    She shakes her head, freeing it of the memory of the girl and her little dog, too. "Likely I won't be seeing home again. But I get it. Thanks." She turns to search for the Uwat. "Thanks for taking us. What's the ETA on boarding and then leaving the system?" Squinting, she tries to get a look at the viewscreens but her sight's still a little blurry. "There was a lot of traffic in the area when we arrived. Everything clearer now?"

Slowly she gets into a more dignified seated position. Nia doesn't want to bring this up in front of the others, but... after hearing the reports from Booker and Rawlings, she kinda has to. "Heavy gees. I've dealt with them since I was a kid half her height." Her chin nods at Kylah. "I shouldn't get knocked out by a little launch to orbit jaunt. With my protection I--"

Nia pauses, again staring at them. She realizes how reckless she's being. How hard would it be for them to overhear her various biological traits, plonk them onto the net only for Sidonian to pop up? One Sidonian, and she's in Starfleet.

Why the hell didn't she think of this problem before? Thinking fast, she focuses on the Doc. "Actually, let's talk about it later," she says with a flicker of a glance to Jol and back. Her voice softens--although if the Uwat are like any other insectoids she's known, their hearing will be keen.

She words it carefully. "Things can wait. Details, anyway. They bore me." Her near whisper and proximity to the doctor make her concerned that they look suspicious, so she changes tactics. With a slow smile she arches--not easy to do, but she manages--and lifts a hand up to the Doc's collar, drawing him closer. Her eyes try to apologize while she adds playfully, "You know how... unique I am. Isn't it more fun for you to keep things just between you and me?"

Leaning up toward his ear, she whispers: "No more bio talk. They find out what I am, they'll learn who I am. And they might know already but if there's others onboard... we can't blow cover in front of anyone else."

Her hand moves up, brushes some hair near his temple, and then languidly drops. She lets her muscles relax so she can fall against the cushioned couch back. "Sorry, Doc," she says, tone still amused but gaze sincere. "Sometimes I get impulses. Thought I'd better act sooner than later, right?"
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 29 Nov 2023 at 01:17 AM.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Bizhi thinks casual talk of "home" and the Yorktown is likely to blow their cover to the casual eavesdropper a hell of a lot faster than any "bio talk". They never did confer and come up with a cover story— are they traders? Explorers? Anything military is probably too close to the truth, and what would mercenaries be doing in a place like Ollos? They might be pirates. That sounds like fun, and would account for their reluctance to reveal too many details about themselves. Or bounty hunters, taking down wanted criminals and bad guys, not innocent spacers.

Up close, Nia's currently wild eyes do look very attractive. (She still looks like someone on the verge of passing out, though, her body missing much of its vitality.) "After a couple of days on that greezy outpost, I can't blame you," he replies to her. "Soon as we get our berths, we should get together for a little colloquium."

Registered
    Sep 2009

A few minutes later, Jol says, "Couches, please. Thrust to return shortly." He talks to his two shipmates in a guttural language Kylah is sure he hasn't used before.

You can all see, up ahead through the viewscreen, a dense cluster of ships high above Ollos.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Not having moved very far from her seat, Kylah has returned to her couch in time to hear the unfamiliar language.

She supposes there is a distant possibility that this is some extreme regional variant or accent, but she has never heard any one language with such dissimilar phonetics. If she were at her comms panel she would have liked to see if there are any common sounds at all. If they were traveling on the Tesla, this would have been a good opportunity to test that significantly upgraded comm panel's abilities in that regard.

But the panel is dead, at least temporarily. I hope it is not the only such unit. It would be a shame to have destroyed the prototype. Surely Cmdr. Cheverez would not have allowed the shuttle out if there were any unique systems? Kylah scowls, remembering the order from the Yorktown to secure the shuttle for recovery. A strange request for a party of six with no known allies on the planet. Perhaps the shuttle really did have something unusual about it.

It suddenly strikes her that this is first time since the crash that she has really considered the loss of the shuttle itself; she has, for obvious reasons, focused on the crew's trevails. But the Tesla was a seventh crew member, so to speak. True, in the end it is just a vehicle, mere machinery. But Kylah glances at Lt. Onn, newly conscious of just how keenly a pilot who had actually worked on the shuttle must be mourning.

Sighing, Kylah returns to focus on Mr. Jol. The change of language makes her curious, and--anxious to think of something other than sorrow--bends her (highly flexible) rule about using her empathic abilities only when necessary. Though she stares at the viewscreen, since she is genuinely curious about what the Doregg will look like, she begins taking a measure of what Mr. Jol and the other Uwat are feeling.

+ Reply to thread