+ Reply to thread
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #7: "The War-Brotherhood of Irkhuit"

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen is a little surprised to see someone he recognizes, which, so far, does not amount to that many people on the ship.

"Hello," he says, "Lieutenant... Onn? I saw you yesterday, at the court martial. You'll forgive me if I don't shake hands? I just handled another patient. Let's talk in the examination room. After you."

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Thanks," Nia says, and gives the doctor another closer look while passing by. She doesn't remember seeing him at the hearing, and regrets that he watched her testimony. Not her greatest moment. Of course she's even less 'herself' now.

Inside the room, she hops up to take her seat on the exam table, clasping the edges to hide her nerves. "Did you just come aboard when we arrived? The last batch of new crewmembers we took on was a couple months ago, and I'm sure we'd've met since then." Uncertain whether he's an all-business type, she decides to cut the chit-chat.

"So, I'm due for a check-up anyway, but the main reason I'm here is... I just feel off-kilter. My mood's been going up and down like a cadet on her first parabolic flight. And that's not like me. At all. I'm one of the most stable officers you'll find without pointy ears and greenish skin."

She smiles wanly. "But before you send me to Noel, I don't think it's psych-related. I admit I've caught a couple of rough breaks but normally I shake stuff off. Now I'm close to hysterics at every turn. Five minutes ago I was running tests on a shuttle and just thinking of one bad incident made me freak out. I'd've burst into tears if I had any."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah and Rangin beam down to Beta Antares IV and find themselves in the stone-paved entry plaza of Armstrong Park. A nearby historic plaque commemorates the early American astronaut and park namesake (1930-2012). Several dozen people, including families with small children, are around, enjoying the beautiful day. There is a wide green lawn with picnickers and people reading, relaxing or playing games, and a lake just beyond, but the area is otherwise densely forested. Not far away is a cluster of low, rustic-looking buildings including Nataliya's, the restaurant Kylah read about.

Registered
    Jan 2018

“Nice place Kylah,” Rangin comments as he looks around the area. “Very nice indeed and I believe you mentioned something about sailing and I can see the pontoons over there.”

He leads her down to the waterfront of the lake looking at the calm sailing weather, as the arm he offers appears to be gratefully received. It has been a while since he was last on a small motor boat like the ones here, but he is sure he can remember what he is supposed to do.

As they reach the dock, he lets Kylah move forward to complete whatever booking she made earlier and wait to see which of the boats they will be using. He listens in behind as he waits for the instructions that are always given in places like this along with the standard health, safety and no messing about that comes with the responsibility of being careful around all the tourists, themselves included who are here.

Registered
    Nov 2021

In Sickbay, Bizhi speaks with Lt. Onn while he washes his hands, gets a datapad, and other preliminaries. He tells her, "Yes, I just began my posting. Well, it has been a few days now, but, you are right, I was not here last week. It's good to meet you, circumstances notwithstanding."

He saw her once before, but now he has another look. She seems a little tense (not that anyone ever looks relaxed as a patient in an examination room, he knows). Noticeably not human; not extremely different, but he has not encountered the exact like before. Sidonian, a glance at the datapad informs him. Too bad this is not a social situation: Bizhi would love to pick her brain about Sidonian mythology, cuisine, and other topics beyond the purely medical. He will probably have a chance at some point; in the meantime, he can query the library computer at his leisure later.

Lt. Onn was all business at the hearing the other day. His gut tells him he can speak to her plainly. "You are the first Sidonian I have met," he explains, "but, whatever is off, we will figure it out. I trust your instincts on this, and you did the right thing coming down here instead of trying to ride it out."

He could scan her, but has nothing to compare the readings to beyond what was documented during her previous check-ups, and she is pretty far removed from a baseline Sidonian lifestyle.

"For a start, according to this, you cannot survive breathing the so-called standard atmosphere." That must be fun to deal with everywhere she goes. Bizhi gives her a sympathetic look. "You're not the only one in Starfleet, you know; it's always been an issue... anyway, they listed bilitrium gas under medications. It also says that you are on birth control. Is there anything else, that's not on the chart? Or any issues with either of those? Also, you have been on the ship for a long while, now. Have you felt anything like these mood swings before?"

To be systematic, Bizhi goes ahead with the tricorder scan, which only takes a few moments and will at least pick up any gross changes like foreign substances in the body or cellular damage, or significant swings in various metabolic rates (which he cross-checks with annotations in the medical database listing the presumably normal ranges, where available).

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia closes her eyes while being scanned--there's no reason to, it just seems natural and it's a good way to stay calm. As is Dr. Mäkeläinen's voice, not to mention his demeanor. Good bedside manner. Must deal with scared patients a lot. It's gotta be easier to treat someone who's not in the throes of some histrionic meltdown.

She suddenly wonders if this is how Kylah feels all the time. It'd explain a lot. Cripes, she might owe the girl an apology for all the mental snark she's directed at the little drama magnet. Booker's probably been right to mollycoddle someone that fragile.

"I'm not on any other meds," she says abruptly, almost angrily. Thinking of Booker is the last thing she needs. She continues in a lighter tone. "The irony is that I've been feeling great, physically. I just spent a week sucking down the Bilitrium compound almost exclusively. Y'know, we had to save oxygen because of all the Novy Rostov refugees, and since I don't need it, I volunteered to use my mask instead. And this, when on duty," she adds, pulling out the tiny inhaler she keeps on a necklace tucked beneath her uniform.

Nia sighs, remembering the one pleasant aspect of the past week. "It was pretty amazing, gotta admit. For a dozen years I've been spending only eight hours every two days on the stuff. I've adjusted fine, but I've forgotten what it's like to just... breathe. Without having to adjust or compensate or anything. Just letting my body what it was born to do.

"But that's a luxury I can't repeat. Bilitrium's too rare to waste--and too dangerous anyway. Not many ships even wanna deal with having it on board, which makes it harder to renew supplies. Throughout my career, my postings have been based around which captains and science officers are willing to take me on. Luckily I'm worth the risk." Nia grins despite herself. "Anyway, now that I'm back to the regular schedule, it has been a bit of a wrench. If the mood issues had just started the other day, I'd connect it to having to relearn how to tolerate the ship's atmosphere. But they go back longer."

After a moment, she starts again. "As far as whether I've felt like this before... yeah, sort of. I've gone through five completed pregnancies, believe me I'm familiar with mood swings." Her eyes fly open when she realizes what that sounds like. "Oh--no, that is--I'm not pregnant--no way, no how. Haven't been active in two months, until just the other day. What I meant was, I think it's hormonal. I'm guessing my birth control shots are the culprit."

Nia tilts her head, matching her crooked smile. "Do you want me to give you a quick background, or would you rather enjoy reading about my convoluted reproductive history from Starfleet?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn's bioreadings are roughly comparable with those recorded during her previous shipboard checkups, or at least appear to be within normal parameters. To the extent he now understands her physiology, Bizhi sees nothing amiss.

Registered
    Jan 2018

After being shown the boat in question, Rangin carefully helps Kylah on board, starts it up and then points it towards the centre of the lake, and gently opens up the throttle to start the boat skimming away from the shore. A smile slowly creeps across his face as his previous thoughts of playing safe give way to the exhilaration of the speeding boat across the waters with Kylah in the front watching out over the waves. It has been a long time since he did this in such a situation.

Kylah almost laughs aloud at the speed, and the sight of the boat slicing through the water. She looks on either side to watch their wake, enrapt, but after a moment cannot help smiling apologetically back at Velir. “Forgive me," she says, loud enough to be heard over the engine. "I am not ignoring you. I just…" Her hand waves vaguely at the lake surrounding them. "I love this so!”

Kylah glances around before continuing. “My family has ships and yachts back home, but they are so large and distant from the water--they might as well have been on land. I never cared much for it. But once, at the Academy, I was invited to a sailing party, and it was entirely different. Feeling the wind and spray… I felt so alive. Even though it started out--”

Her face clouds up slightly, then she dismisses the memory with a rueful smile. “Anyway I have been hoping to have another chance ever since, and here it is. With you. What about you, what have your experiences been like?”

Rangin eases off the outboard motor, even though the lake is fairly flat with a little bit of wind causing the boat to come to a drift in the middle of the lake and leaving the sound of small waves splashing at the side of the boat.

“It’s been a while since I was last on a boat like this, certainly with such a beautiful view. Present company included. Although it was at night, beautiful and moonlit, where the area was bathed in a lunar glow and everything was in silver except the long shadows of grey that crept across the land.” He sighs wistfully as unbidden some of his more cherished memories resurfaced, even as he tries to put them to one side as he looks back at Kylah, shading his eyes slightly from the sun. “But that was a long time ago, when students did stupid things.”

Rangin by me, Kylah by choie

Registered
    Nov 2021

Mäkeläinen listens attentively to Onn's account. "It did cross my mind that Bilitrium is not exactly on the regulation list of essential medicines. You won't hear me pretending that the system was not designed by, and for the needs of, humans. Must be a blast trying to buy it on the open market some places."

"Now, birth control shots can mess with your hormones. In fact, that is precisely what they are designed to do. A known side effect is, mood swings. Not so common compared to the kind of birth control they used to dispense in earlier times, but unless your prescription was written by a doctor experienced in fine-tuning contraceptive recipes for female Sidonians, the probability goes way up.

"Here is the thing: the body can adapt even to conditions outside its normal operating parameters. Such side effects usually stabilise after using them for a while—why I asked. The relevant history—who prescribed your shots, and when—I want to hear it from you. Even if it were perfectly equilibrated, though, any kind of stress can affect the balance: changes in your bilitrium intake. That last mission." Bizhi shakes his head thinking about it. He, too, signed up for this. "Or for no apparent reason. The phase of the moon." He refrains from launching into a scientific explanation; the important thing is that she understand there is nothing she did, or failed to do.

"The good news is, you are not ill, or imagining things. And nothing's out of whack with your bioreadings." Presumably Onn will be able to fill in some of her medical history. Mäkeläinen does not know more about Sidonian physiology than any other Starfleet doctor, but maybe what she says can help him decide whether to leave it alone, or adjust her prescription to something judged less likely to cause extreme mood swings. He can hypo-inject her with a short-term mood stabiliser (Lexorin ought to do it) that will mask whatever has been causing her to freak out until her body has had a chance to readjust itself: "This hypo will make you feel better. It won't affect your work or your thinking; in fact, you will probably find it easier to focus. I also have a herbal tea I want to get to you. Medicine is not all tricorders, biobeds, and force fields like some people imagine." That plant collection of his is not purely ornamental, nor for pure research purposes.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia exhales after the doctor reveals the scan results. Not surprising, since like she said she's feeling in top shape physically--but still a relief. She listens to Mäkeläinen as carefully as she can, and nods in appreciation of his use of older medical treatments. "Yeah, a mood hypo is exactly what I'd love. Thanks. And bring on the herbal tea if it'll help. I don't care how foul it tastes, either. I'm used to some pretty vile natural concoctions from the nurses back home."

A thought strikes her. "Although... I guess I should mention, I've had some problems with meds in the past that involved oral aqueous solutions. Not that I have an issue with ora--" Nia abruptly checks herself. This isn't Ajay or even Double-T. Geeze, wait till the new guy's here a week before showing him your filthy side.

"Um, not that I mind a spoonful of whatever. It's just that... Sidonia's basically one huge desert with toxicity lurking in every mud patch. We're all super-efficient when it comes to extracting water from anything. The unnecessary stuff gets filtered into our kidneys and, uh, eliminated the usual way. Pretty much skips the bloodstream. With things like coffee, or alcoholic drinks, I don't get any of the effects most of you humans do."

Wait, is Dr. Mäkeläinen even a human? Nia frowns slightly. Hard to tell. Nothing obvious to distinguish him from one of the hundreds of humans onboard, but the same is true of Rangin. In fact, when Nia really concentrates, she can hide her scales well enough to 'pass' herself.

With a mental shrug, she claps her hands on her knees. "Right, so, me and birth control. I'll give you the Official Nia Onn Reproductive System Primer. I'm... well, just like Sidonians are built to breathe a different atmosphere, we're also built to be... fertile. We have to be, our pregnancies rarely make it to term. And lucky me, I'm hyperfertile. A guy practically just has to sneeze near me and boom, preggers."

Nia's smile is again weak. That hyperfertility is why she was so highly sought after for breeding contracts. She wouldn't have minded being a lot less valuable.

But she doesn't want to bring that up now. Depressing. And irrelevant.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 24 Mar 2022 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Had to split this epic up.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Velir’s description of this episode from his past is vivid enough to paint a picture Kylah would like to enter, so much that she glances at the sky and wishes it could turn a purple dusk. But she returns to the here and now to meet his gaze with curiosity. He so rarely speaks of his background. “I am sure you judge yourself too harshly.” She keeps her voice soft, hoping to prevent his getting jarred back to the present. “Was this on Coridan?”

“No," Rangin says. "This was on Earth, a while ago. A late night tryst between two people who really should have known better. But we got away with it, a secret something between the pair of us.”

He looks out over the waters away from Kylah, as he blushes slightly as he recalls what happened, “And probably not something I should have mentioned. Ancient history as they say.”

He regrets not having the chance to change the topic. Sure enough, Kylah seems to leap on his words. “It is not that ancient,” she says in a rush. “Not if it was at the Academy. Can you… if you do not mind, will you tell me? This was someone special to you?”

Finding himself speaking to break the short silence as Kylah appears to be waiting for him to say something, “Special, yes, you could say that. She was someone very close to me and we had the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Very tempestuous times.”

He thinks back to those times and can picture himself, back in the boat with her, no-one else knowing they were there together, the bottle of wine, the blankets, the moonlight. A night he is not going to forget, she is a woman he is never going to forget.

A rush of sensual emotions radiate from Velir to Kylah, without her even reaching out. Her face burns with embarrassment and--she cannot help herself--disappointment. Of course he is older and has led a varied, full life before they met. Kylah might consider their time together just as he described, exquisite highs and desolate lows… but she has no other experiences of a true relationship. Despite all the intrigue and responsibilities on Kylah’s shoulders, and even the awful things she has gone through over the past few months, she still feels like a sheltered child.

And she is desperate not to act as one now. Leaning against the port side of the boat, she stares at the water and lets her right hand trail a path in the calm lake, which is colder than she expected as it runs through her fingers.

She keeps her voice equally cool and undisturbed. “Is she in Starfleet too? Are you still friends?”

The question she most wants an answer to is left unspoken: Does he still love her?

She dares not ask, because his intense feelings certainly seem fresh, not left in the past.

Kylah by me, Rangin by Rangin.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Continued from #510

Nia continues brusquely. "Birth control wasn't an issue at home. It was illegal, end of story. Once I left for the Federation and Starfleet, researchers figured out I was compatible with basically anything with the right genitalia. Doctors had to start experimenting. The problem is, regular birth control--that is, medical or chemical contraception--bumps up against Sidonian evolution. Kinda like the water thing.

"When they put me on one of the most common meds, it had no effect at all. Then a different drug; same result. On and on. Sometimes I'd have a huge allergic reaction, fever, hives, the whole mess. Apparently my body considers the contraception an enemy, like it's attacking my ovulation. So it reacts the same way it would to a virus or infection. Fights it off."

And wins each time. Nia sighs at the unpleasant memory of multiple terminated 'accidents' during her first few years in Starfleet.

"Eventually the scientists and docs landed on two double-dose shots a month, a sort of contraception cocktail, and that seems to work. But even that's only temporary. The meds have to be rotated to trick my system from recognizing any attempt to screw with my whole purpose for existing." Nia lifts her hands in a palms-up shrug. "Well, my biological purpose. I actually exist to fly starships."

She leans back, palms now behind her on the table. "Anyway. That's the deal. The last time Dr. Villa switched my meds was, um, I think three months ago? Four? Normally I keep closer track but like I said... I haven't had sex for over two months, so... If you're looking for changes, that's probably the biggest one. It's been the longest drought I've had since I was a cadet a dozen years ago. Not to brag or anything," she adds with a self-deprecating smile.

"Maybe my system didn't know what the hell was going on. I sure didn't. I was even with someone that whole time, but we never... it just never happened."

Is that why Book gave up? 'Cause we never had sex? Or did we never have sex 'cause we knew in our hearts it wouldn't last? Chicken or egg?

Except Nia didn't expect things not to last. She really didn't.

"So could that be the issue?" Nia has to force the words past her relentlessly insecure mental whining. "Here I am, on this mega-powerful birth control regimen, but I haven't needed it at all. Could it just be time to change up the cocktail?" She gives a soft chuckle. "It's definitely time for me to get active again. My body's not used to doing... nothing."

She casts a surreptitious glance at Dr. Mäkeläinen. She doesn't intend for this to be a come-on--that'd be pretty damn inappropriate--but sizing up a man as a potential mate is, like breathing and getting pregnant, only natural for a Sidonian woman. But truth is, aside from the comfort she got from Ajay, and the ache she still feels for Booker, Nia's just not interested in sex right now. She frowns at the realization. That might be the strangest thing of all, even more than the mood swings.

Falling silent at last, Nia stares down at her feet, annoyed and confused. Seht'Dar's Holy Balls, just what the fuck did this break-up do to me?

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham punches the heavy bag, hard.

He ducks, weaves–conscious of getting older, feeling slower.

Not acceptable as a husband. You need to come home from every mission, for Marala.

Not acceptable as a father. Well: as a father to a child who you haven’t let down yet. Who still sees you as better than you are.

The next one-two is harder still, the sweat is flowing freely.

Marala.

There’s a flush of arousal, remembering their wedding night: something he would have imagined as the ultimate pinnacle of life in this world when they were teenagers.

Could it have happened at a lesser price?

Would it have ever happened at a lesser price, because of…

Nia.

The arousal doesn’t go away. If anything…

He blushes and hits the bag rapid fire.

Not acceptable as a husband, Booker.

They should meet Lizzy. Even via subspace, until in-person is possible.

I need to…if I think I can do right by Nikolai, I have to fix where I went wrong with her.

He realizes his knuckles are starting to ache, and stands back, breathing heavily.

Duty rosters. Patrol plans. Personnel evaluations.

Fucking up his job as ACOS is no longer an option, not for his family. The clarity of what needed to be done to make lieutenant commander a long time ago draws him away from all the–all the really hard stuff.

Just like hitting, you know the drill, Booker.

He decides to shower and make himself presentable, because it occurs to him to stop by the Arboretum and see if it’s possible to get a real live flower or little potted bud for Marala on his way back to their quarters.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Clean and presentable once more, Graham finds the Arboretum empty of people except for Lt. JG Melissa Tsu. The Chinese navigator, in civvies and with a smudge of dirt on her nose, is puttering around her own small garden plot. After they chat briefly and he mentions his errand, she smiles, bends down and offers him a perfect Boslic white lily: "They grow really fast and I have, like, another dozen coming up now. Please take it. Your new bride deserves it!"

Registered
    Nov 2021

"It's not literally Terran tea. It is a mixture of leaves and roots of a certain jungle plant. Not vile, pleasant-smelling in fact, but some people find it a little pungent and bitter. Alkaloids. You don't necessarily have to drink it, either. I can prepare a lyophilized extract into a dry powder that can be taken with food, if you prefer."

Bizhi listens to Nia's account of her earlier hormonal treatment by Starfleet doctors, carefully not revealing any emotion. "It sounds like you had a hard time of it. If it is any consolation, they were doing the best they could with conventional treatments. Something more experimental, like a polymorphic drug tailored to evade immune response, might be more effective, but without any data to go on it would have run a higher risk of provoking an allergic reaction or other severe side effects, and they were right not to make you into even more of a guinea pig. It may be time to re-evaluate that risk, but I will need to consult with Dr. Villa, who has been treating you. It will take a little time to design and run the simulations, too. But it could be a much better solution, going forward, easier on your body than high doses of a rainbow of contraceptives."

Hearing her tell her story, with its element of powerlessness in the face of medical problems, an ineluctable theme, sends Bizhi a pang. Of course he will do his best to help her. But he understands those other doctors and researchers, their excitement at being faced with something new. A seductive attitude: the operation was a great success; too bad the patient died. Sometimes he would love to rebuild people. Who knows they would not be better for it? He flexes his cybernetic forearm.

"Sexual activity— or the lack of it— should not be an issue... more than it is for anyone." He has just learned a little about Sidonian fertility, but he realizes he does not know anything about the sexual culture on the planet. Not that it necessarily has anything to do with the Starfleet officer sitting in front of him today. "I am not saying it does not affect your mood, or your hormones. But it's just one more factor. Not causal. What I mean is, no, you are not here in Sickbay right now because you have not had sex for a couple of months and that destabilized your limbic system." He decides to tell her a little story (it may divert her, at the very least). "You mentioned Vulcans as stony paragons of stability. But do you know why they have that reputation? Discipline. Meditation. If biology is anything to go by, as a rule you would expect Vulcans to be frighteningly passionate. Even regularly drop dead of adrenaline overdose. But there is not a direct cause-and-effect relationship there. Deltans... anyway, no; I cannot speak to everything else, but your body is not forcing you into any decisions."

"I think we have nearly covered everything, unless there is something else. The Lexorin hypo—" Bizhi finds the right kind of injector and adjusts the settings, applying it to Nia's arm, "—there. You should feel better almost immediately. And you will probably be all right regardless, but I will talk to Dr. Villa about a custom polymorphic contraceptive; at the very least it will ease some of the constant unnatural stress on your metabolism. The herbal supplement, I will get you as soon as I have a free moment."

Registered
    Jan 2018

Kylah’s question pulls Rangin into the present and the reality of that time from his student days. And yet, despite the rage, the heartbreak and the bitter, bitter ending between them, Rangin would still not have given up nights like those that happened.

“I don’t know where she is, or what she is doing,” he says honestly. The thoughts of her still haunt him, unable to let her go, a small piece of her will be forever with him. He looks back at Kylah and for a moment can see the lady from long ago on the other side of the boat, hair floating in the same breeze that ruffles the thin dress Kylah’s wearing and making it obvious how little she is wearing underneath it. And yet, this time, it doesn’t hurt, the memory of that night a sweet one, covering up what happened afterwards.

“And before you ask, I’ve no desire to go looking,” he adds on, as a smile crosses his lips and the sight fades before his eyes and all he can see is Kylah. “Besides, it would be unfair to reminisce on something in the past, when the present is here to be enjoyed.”

Nodding slowly, Kylah tries to blot out the brief intensity she unwittingly sensed from him. She straightens and meets his gaze with an open one of her own. “You are right, Velir. While there is no moonlight now...” She pauses, letting the moment fill with the soft sounds of the water against the hull, a high, distant buzzing of insects, and wind rustling through the trees back on shore. “The sun is shining high and warm. There is supposed to be rain later, yet I see no sign of it--not even clouds. We need not worry about the past or future.”

Again she hesitates, watching Velir opposite her, his right arm resting on the tiller attached to the aft engine. She wants to be closer, to feel that arm around her, but cannot think of a way to ask. An impulse nudges a thought into life. “Would you… would you teach me to steer?”

Rangin, now firmly back in the here and now, considers the question for a moment before nodding. “Of course, come across here,” he gestures to the seat next to him.

He waits until she is seated next to him before he begins to explain the principle, how which way you turn it changes the direction of the boat.

“Let’s take it slow to begin with, we have time enough for you to figure it out.” He guides her hand to the tiller and then let’s her hold on to it. “Ok, I’ll feed the power in and you hold on and guide us around the lake.”

Rangin slowly turns the power up to start the boat moving forward.

Registered
    Apr 2015

When asked, Nia does request the powdered version of the herbal remedy. Might as well give whatever medical benefits it can provide the best chance possible. She appreciates Dr. Mäkeläinen's tactful and sympathetic responses, as well as his remark about the importance of control versus biology. His brief reference to Deltans makes her jaw tighten.

"Yeah, one of my closest friends is Deltan. Don't get me started on how she's being controlled by that utterly fu--screwed-up new Starfleet reg. Hopefully she's on shore leave now taking advantage of the free time." And turning some poor lunkhead civilian into a pile of used-up flesh. Nia exhales and watches Mäkeläinen get the hypospray. "That's the thing about control. Too much or too little risks disaster. You never know how someone's gonna react to a leash--whether it's put on or taken off."

Hyposprays don't hurt much, but Nia never manages to get one without a slight automatic wince anyway. She offers the doctor a grim smile. "If you take a tiptoe through my history with Villa, you'll see just what I got up to once all those experiments were done and I could finally exercise control over my own body. It's been quite a ride." She rubs her shoulder--again, pure habit--and grins. "Luckily it's not just contraceptives that get brutalized by my Sidonian defense system. STDs don't stand a chance."

She slides off the table and nods at the hypospray. "I actually do feel a little better, thanks. Might just be a placebo thing but hey, if so, don't tell me. That's one delusion I don't mind holding on to. And yes, please, let me know about that polymorphic contraceptive option. If Villa agrees it's viable, I'm game for a trial."

Nia hesitates before leaving and lifts her hand. "Clean enough to shake now, Doctor?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Kylah and Rangin have a pleasant cruise and, in time, return to the Yorktown.

Graham presents the Boslic white lily to his new bride, who is quite touched.

Dr. Mäkeläinen finishes his consultation with Lt. Onn and she leaves Sickbay.

If you'd like to write more about any of these scenes (and you're certainly welcome to), please do so as a flashback.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 26 Mar 2022 at 11:58 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Captain's Log, Stardate 6056.7. Upon review of the pre-sentence investigation report and after hearing oral arguments from both the prosecution and the defense, the court-martial board over which I preside has imposed a life sentence against Paul Hutchinson. She had very little to say and took the news surprisingly well, I thought, under the circumstances. She has also waived any appeal. Starfleet Command has ordered that the defendant be transferred to the Fleet prison on Jaros II as soon as possible.

Captain's Log, supplemental. We've been ordered to again look in and show the flag on Cavinre VII, where widespread street protests against the authoritarian government have once more made the Federation ambassador uneasy about the safety of the embassy and staff. I've decided to go directly there, and to send a shuttlecraft with Hutchinson to Jaros II, to rendezvous with us afterwards.

Capt. Singh asks Onn to report to her oak-paneled office on Deck 2, brings the Sidonian officer up to date and assigns her to command the shuttle mission: "Choose your crew, Mr. Onn, and be prepared to leave within the hour. Lt. Bennett has projected that it'll take you about nine hours to get to the Starfleet stockade on Jaros II, and then another eleven to get to Cavinre VII from there. The second leg will take you near Romulan space - can't be helped - but not all that close. Questions?"

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Jaros_II
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 28 Mar 2022 at 01:30 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2021

[This is apparently a flashback. It should clearly fit in after all the other Sickbay scenes.]

Dr. Mäkeläinen's eyes flash when Nia mentions her Deltan friend. He has some choice words he could say about repressed Terran pencil-pushers, but this is not the time or place to start ranting in front of a patient, or anyone he does not know quite well indeed. Furthermore, it is not like they need him to point out discrimination inherent in the system. It does not affect him: after all, he is human. Well, it is not absolutely certain he would have been cleared during the Eugenics Wars, but that is hardly relevant.

He may be a lowly Ensign in the Medical Corps, but for his comrades on this ship he can be more than a cog in the machine. He was able to do something for today's patients, insignificant though it may seem in the grand scheme of things. (He will never lose sight of the grand scheme!)

He meets Nia's look and firmly shakes her hand. "Of course, Ma'am."

Putting things together later, it occurs to him that both Leventhal and Onn work at the helm, and both came into Sickbay around the same time. Both with normal (and unrelated) ailments, and still just a coincidence. A cluster of disease can decimate a closed environment like a ship, so it is one of the things they always look out for.

After the paper(less) work is done, he discusses Lt. Onn's report with Dr. Villa, and shows her the outline of a computer program to go through the huge combinatorial space of possibilities for an optimal polymorphic contraceptive that would regulate fertility while continually masking itself from the Sidonian immune system instead of overwhelming it with high doses.

He does not have more than a handful of live plants on board, of course. Most of the biological material (as opposed to computer data) he did bring is in the form of small samples in Petri dishes, the bulk of which are kept in one of the medical labs. The plant he promised Lt. Onn is one of these. After a little preparation work and adjustment, the machines in the biochemistry lab are able to synthesize a couple of weeks' supply of plant extract, which is rendered into an iridescent white powder that can be mixed into any food or drink. Dr. Mäkeläinen sends Lt. Onn a message that she can come pick it up, or he can send someone to deliver it, along with instructions (one pinch, twice a day).

Registered
    Apr 2015

In the Captain's office, Nia tries not to grin, or even smile, since it doesn't seem appropriate given the fact that this mission involves carting a multiple-murderer to jail. Nevertheless, her eyes are probably beaming her pleasure at the assignment.

Commanding a mission so soon? After the shitstorm of trouble she got herself into over bringing Nikolai onboard? Not to mention trying to hide Marala in the chapel?

Admittedly it's just an escort mission, no real skill involved aside for the usual helm expertise. But who cares? It's a responsibility she's being trusted with, and that makes it an honor. And one helluva relief. From the way Vargas has alternately ignored and growled at her over the past week, she wouldn't've been surprised if, once Hutchinson's hearing was over, Singh had summarily begun the court-martial proceedings Nia had been threatened with right before being confined to her quarters.

So it's not surprising Nia's spirits have risen even without having yet picked up the miracle meds from Dr. Mäkeläinen--which is where she was headed before getting Singh's order.

"Understood, Captain," she says, mentally running through the preparatory tasks necessary. Her immediate thought is, of course, the vessel she'll be flying. It's just how her mind works. Personnel should be pretty straightforward, anyway.

"Pending clearance with Cmdr. Cheverez, I'd like to see if the Tesla is up for the trip. There were some issues with it yesterday but I believe they've been dealt with. And frankly, if we're anywhere near Romulan space--low probability of any interaction notwithstanding--I'd sure appreciate the extra speed and heftier firepower. With your permission, ma'am?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Dr. Villa is impressed by Dr. Mäkeläinen's proposal and immediately approves it. "Thank you, Doctor, and well done," she says. "If you need any plant matter beamed up from the planet before we break orbit, please see to it. I understand we'll be leaving in a few hours, but keep that under your hat."

Capt. Singh nods. "Yes, I understand the Tesla is now fully repaired, including a resolution of that warp nacelle issue. Very well, Mr. Onn. Proceed as you propose, and good luck."

Registered
    Apr 2015

With a quick, professional 'thank you,' a buoyant Nia manages to leave Singh's office without actually skipping along the way. Team, team, team, she mulls over even while pulling out her communicator. She's on her way to Sickbay to grab Dr. M's herbal tea thing--not that her mood needs a boost at the moment, but who knows--still, she can double and triple task.

She enters the turbolift, gives the command to get to the correct deck, then flips open her communicator. The first and most obvious personnel will be the redshirts. Her brow furrows, the first hint of unease since listening to Singh. Normally her first choice would be both obvious and automatic. But now...

No. Not for this trip. She runs through options and settles on a pair of alternates, then taps out a message. In every other circumstance she wouldn't be going directly to Vargas, but rather his ACoS. Again--no.
    VARGAS, CMDR - Sir: I am building the team for transferring the prisoner to Jaros II, and need security personnel. I understand the unrest on Cavinre VII is more serious than a mere escort task, and would not wish to deprive you of your ACoS. Permission to request Ensigns Mahmoud and Rawlings? -- ONN, LT
    After sending, she exits the turbolift and turns to a much more pleasant crew interaction, electing to use a voice hail instead. "Onn to Cheverez," she says cheerfully.

Nia's now striding down the corridor heading to Sickbay. Huh, I wonder if Dr. M. would like this for his first mission? Might be dull but maybe he'd prefer not diving into the deep water just yet. The thought makes her smile, as any mention of swimming does. And damn if she doesn't catch herself giving a little skip while waiting for Cheverez's response.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 29 Mar 2022 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling fix

Registered
    Sep 2009

Onn soon has a reply to her text: Thank you, Mr. Onn, but Hutchinson is an important prisoner and, all things considered, I think it best that Mr. Graham accompany you. You may have either Mahmoud or Rawlings, as well; your choice. Both are fine officers. VARGAS.

Moments later she hears the Chief Engineer's cheery voice: "Cheverez here. What can I do for you, Lieutenant?"

Registered
    Nov 2021

Lt. Onn's plants are not from the Antares system, so there is no question of beaming them up in bulk from the surface here. Since she is receiving an extract anyway, not a bag full of vegetable matter, the biochemistry lab is able to recreate the profile of dozens of active compounds following Dr. Mäkeläinen's quantitative analysis. It is not dangerous— as mentioned, it is traditionally consumed as a kind of herbal tea— though if someone did theoretically force down a massive overdose of the concentrated powder, it could cause headaches, vomiting, and a feeling of great lassitude until the body worked it out of its system.

The polymorphic contraceptive design needs to know whatever data the library computer has, and Dr. Villa can provide, on the Sidonian immune system and reproductive system. If one can get authoritative data from an authentic Sidonian medical database, that would be ideal and speed up the computation. Lt. Onn said that contraceptive drugs would be illegal, or at least controversial, but maybe the basic, neutral, information itself is freely available. If not, no showstopper, but either way it will take several days at least to get results.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia sees the response from Vargas and her stomach tightens as if in preparation for a blow. Swallowing, she sends a quick acknowledgement to the First Officer, then starts a new message.
    GRAHAM, LT JG BOOKER - While the ship makes its way to Cavinre VII, I'm taking a shuttle to transport Hutchinson to Jaros II. We'll need two Security officers onboard, and Vargas agrees that you should be one of them. You can pick your own #2 but I suggest Rawlings. Whoever you choose, both of you should meet me at the shuttlebay within approx. 50 minutes.* Thanks. -- NIA
    The inconsistent formality of her greetings grates, but she just can't refer to herself as "Lt. Onn" with him. She's not as conflicted by the white lie implying she wants him there. The message is sent off just as Cheverez's answer reaches her ear.

Mood lifting again, she quickly fills him in on the mission (if he hasn't already been briefed), then turns to the Tesla:

"Think it's too soon to try her out? The Jaros II journey'll take nine hours, then eleven to rendezvous with the Yorktown.** This'd the biggest jaunt the Tesla's been on since we began the upgrades. Relatively low-stakes situation, time not a huge issue... seems almost ideal setup to see how she comports herself long-distance.

"What do you think, chief? Any objections or tech issues that make this a bad idea?" She reaches the Sickbay entrance and pauses there, not wanting to chat inside. "By the way, what did the issue with the starboard nacelle turn out to be?"***

* What's the exact deadline should she be using?

** Math time: unlike me, Nia would've been able to calculate the actual distance of both legs using the trip lengths. Assuming usual shuttle speed (though the Tesla would presumably go faster than a usual shuttle), what would that be?

*** Bet you weren't expecting so much homework! Sorry, boss; she'd definitely ask.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 29 Mar 2022 at 03:38 PM.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham's surprised by Nia's message.

I'd put money on her being glad--maybe rightfully so--to leave me covered with dust in the rear-view mirror rather than choosing to share a cramped shuttle for hours...but I've been wrong about a lot of things before.

He sighs, and pauses a moment--some time to catch up with Mahmoud would be a great use of a milk run like this.

Except he's approximately infinitely more likely to--with the best intentions--blurt our "How's married life treating you, buddy?"

Instead he passes the message and muster order along to Rawlings.

Duty complete, he interrupts Marala's reading. "Marala--hey, I've got a mission." He puts a hand on her shoulder. "I'll be gone, ah, give or take a day I'd guess." He gives her shoulder a squeeze. "Nothing hazardous--escorting our prisoner to the nearest stockade. The hardest part will be being away from you and Nikolai."

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Biochemistry Lab techs get to work on Dr. Mäkeläinen's request.

The Chief Engineer says, "No, the Tesla's yours if you want her, and she's good to go. The starboard reactant injector assembly was very slightly misaligned, it turns out, either upon installation or, more likely, due to later impact or shock effect. It wasn't a manufacturing problem at all. But it's fixed now, good as new, and passed a Level 1 diagnostic with flying colors. I'd take her out myself, if I could." He pauses. "You know, that's not a bad idea. Need an engineer along for your mission...?"

Ens. Terrance Thayer "Two Tons" Rawlings acknowledges Graham's order. He adds that he'll collect the prisoner from the Brig and bring him to the Shuttlebay, unless Graham wishes to do so.

Marala says to her husband with a rueful smile, "Just as well that I didn't expect an especially lengthy honeymoon, I guess." She pulls Graham close for a hug and kisses him - a long, lingering kiss. "Be careful, Boojee. I've got a whole lot more of married life to enjoy with you."

Onn's deadline to Graham is fine.

Like the other shuttles, the Tesla can travel at Warp 2 for standard cruising, and Warp 4 in an emergency. Your guess is as good as mine as to actual distance covered this mission. Under the TOS formula, Warp 2 is 2 x 2 = 4 times the speed of light, which travels 186,000 miles per second. Suffice to say, you can go a long way in 9 hours, and then in another 11.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 30 Mar 2022 at 11:33 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia silently pumps her fist in triumph at the good news. "You're certainly welcome aboard, Chief, I can hardly say no to you. We've got a spare seat. I just need a pair of Science and Medical officers and we'll be good to go. I'd better update the crew as far as where to report--I doubt any of them have been to the Maintenance bay before. Care to have the honor of starting the pre-flight check, sir?"

After he answers, if there's nothing else she'll thank him and tap in a brief note to Graham that they should meet at Deck 20, not Deck 19. Unless there's a procedure for getting a shuttle from the maintenance bay to the shuttlebay, one deck below?

Then she'll enter Sickbay and ask to see Dr. Mäkeläinen.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 31 Mar 2022 at 09:42 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

On the Bridge, Kylah is performing her regular duties, listening to her earpiece and checking her comm panel for any incoming hails or messages, either from the planet below or through subspace. She is a little tired and somewhat unsettled after the time spent with Velir last night, but overall the day was lovely and it was good to be in the fresh air again.

Realizing it has been awhile since she took her eyes off the panel, she glances up to see who else is on the Bridge.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Cheverez chuckles. "No, I was just kidding. I've got too much going on here to tear myself away, although it is tempting. Just try to bring the Tesla back in one piece if you can, Lieutenant. I'll order her up to the Shuttlebay and have her prepped. Did you want photon torpedoes loaded? She can carry two."

On the Bridge, Cmdr. Pablo Vargas is in the big chair, with Lt. Guillaume Vaudreuil at the Helm and Lt. Cecilia Bennett at Nav. Lt. Cmdr. Sonak is at Science I, Ens. Sathev at Engineering and Ens. Euterpe Terezis is practically dozing at Tactical. The other Bridge stations are unmanned at the moment.

Registered
    Apr 2015

"Too bad, you'd've been good company," Nia says, although she does another, smaller fist-pump. It's petty, but she likes the idea of being the highest ranking officer on the Tesla's maiden flight as a plucky little badass.

"Yes, both torpedoes by all means, sir. The Captain said the route takes us somewhat near Romulan territory, though she's not concerned. But... forewarned is forearmed. So let's be as forearmed as possible."

She belatedly realizes that the length of the mission will likely make it necessary for a chance of clothes and other hygiene/comfort-related belongings. And she forgot to mention that to Booker, who wouldn't have told Rawlings or whoever he's chosen. I'll need to get my own things too, she remembers, distractedly fiddling with the collar of her uniform.

"Chief, who's on duty down there now, is it Meyer? Can you ask him to start the pre-flight, please? Gotta take care of a couple of things before I can head down and take over. Thanks. And thanks for the go-ahead on the Tesla. I'll tread carefully--while still testing as many of the upgrades as I can, given the nature of this journey. Promise I'll make note of anything that so much as goes 'pong' instead of 'ping.'"

Now she'll dash off the amended message to Booker, letting him and...whoever... know of the length of the mission and the need for overnight things.

When done, she enters Sickbay and asks whoever's on duty there for Dr. Mäkeläinen.
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 31 Mar 2022 at 10:30 PM.

Registered
    Apr 2015

While waiting for the doctor, Nia mulls over the Science officer option. Plenty of choice here, but with Hutchinson onboard, Nia can't help but remember how keen Rangin was when it came to researching the guy--gal--whatever--back on the Kaku when the so-called museum guard's real identity was discovered. Plus Rangin's as good as, or better than, a lot of engies with sensors. Could be useful. Also she just appreciates his calming effect. At least he's calm when not in the vicinity of--

Oh shit. Wait. Booker. She groans inwardly. She's already forced the two of them together back when it came to inspecting the Ain't She a Beaut last week. It didn't go pear-shaped that time, but they're oil and water, and 20+ hours in a shuttle...

Screw it. If she's being forced to take Book, she's gonna pick whoever the hell she wants for the rest of the team.
    RANGIN - I'm taking a shuttle to transport Hutchinson to Jaros II, and need a team. As usual we'll want a Science officer onboard, and I think you'd be an asset. Kind of a dull trip but you can continue your research on Hutchinson's unique xenobiology. Or mine for that matter. The ride there and back will be 20+ hours, so pack a bag as needed. Let me know if for any reason I need an alternate. Otherwise meet me at the Shuttlebay, within 50 minutes. Thanks. -- NIA
    Pressing SEND, she lowers the communicator and looks up, hoping to see Dr. M.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Chief Engineer says to Onn, "Yes, Lt. Meyer is just the man I had in mind. I'll pass along what we've discussed, including two photon torpedoes - consider it done. Cheverez out."

A nurse smiles in welcome and tells her that Dr. Mäkeläinen is busy at the moment, but she'll tell him Onn is asking for him.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen finally emerges from the compartment where he was working and sees Onn, gives her an assessing look. She seems fine, all business like the first time he saw her, impatient even.

"I assume you got my message! The Biochemistry Lab started on your recipe; there should be a little bit already prepared. Then I thought what you were to do with it." He rummages around and gets a small, high-tech looking metallic cylinder with a tight-fitting lid, which he hands over. "The contents are protected from temperature and humidity. Also, there is a switchable magnetic field, so you can attach it to surfaces." It is a rugged multi-purpose container from his own personal effects, of the type he himself often uses in the field to store loose material without making a mess.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Eyeing the container with interest and turning it over in her hand, Nia nods. "Neat little device, thanks, Doctor. Stupid question, is this for the herbal thing or the contraceptive?" Then she tilts her head to look up at him. "I'm actually in a hurry--I'm heading a team to transport the prisoner to the stockade on Jaros II. I'll need a medical officer, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be your maiden mission. We'd need to leave in under an hour--well, forty-five minutes now, really--and it'll be a 20-hour trip there and back. Care to join us, or should I ask T'Var or--"

Nia was about to say Bucci, but she's never seen him on an off-ship mission and can't see him as a good match. His joviality can sometimes grate on her. "--Or Bennett?"

... Whose acerbity would probably be even worse than Bucci's good humor. Still, at least Bennett was also instrumental in figuring out Hutchinson's disguise, so it's not a terrible choice. But she'd certainly prefer New Guy here.

Registered
    Nov 2021

"Ah." Mäkeläinen has a quick look around— no need to involve all of Sickbay in the discussion— and explains, a little self-consciously, "I consulted with Dr. Villa on your new contraceptive, and we have started development. But, since there are so many potential points of interaction with the immune system, much of the design is aided by computer. It will take... probably a few days, bare minimum, to run through the possibilities, and then we need to verify the results. This will be a new one for the medical books, but at the end of the day it will look like just another hypospray, I'm afraid.

"What I meant was the, er, herbal thing. The Biochemistry techs are running it through their equipment, but the final product, purified and dried, just looks like a white powder. Mixed into solid food that way, your body should absorb it, since you pointed out liquids might present a problem, and the strong herbal taste will be minimized, just be aware of it. But, where to keep a quantity of it? Then I remembered these sample containers. They are designed with rough handling in mind, so no problem if it gets accidentally knocked off a table."

Hearing about the mission is unexpected, and makes him think quickly for a moment. He might be hard pressed to articulate exactly why if pressed, but after sitting passively through the interminable hearing, and many strange and distant thoughts these past few days, being an active participant in bringing some closure to the case makes a kind of deep sense. Also, an excellent opportunity to bring his efforts to bear on something with which he can help. So he says, "I'm no shirker. Just have to clear it with Villa or T'Var, and have them sign off. Hutchinson seemed stable enough—" and was presumably getting a clean bill of physical and mental health from Starfleet doctors right up until the moment she originally snapped— "and I presume we will have standard security, whatever that is for this sort of thing."

Registered
    Apr 2015

Mäkeläinen's thorough explanations make Nia smile. Meticulous guy. "Yes, we'll have two redshirts on hand, including our ACoS. If you saw me during the hearing, you probably saw him testifying right after. Booker--Lt. JG Graham. There'll also be a Science officer TBD--just waiting on a confirmation. That'll be it. Technically there's room for another officer, but I don't see the need for a full complement just to fill seats, not for a simple escort mission. When we arrive we hardly even need to get out, except to stretch our legs."

She nods toward the door leading to the CMO's office. "If you get permission, grab your things and meet me at the shuttlebay--Deck 19. If not, please tell Villa that I'd like her to assign someone else. With Hutchinson's 'unique' physical status I definitely want a medical officer on hand. Now I'd better go pack myself."

About to head out, Nia swivels back to Dr. Mäkeläinen and holds up the little container. "Whoops, guess there's no point taking this until it's got something in it. Here." She gently tosses the box for the doctor to catch. "By the way, what's the herb called?"

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin sees the message come in to his communicator. A quick jaunt away from the ship is something he can handle and the chance to get some close up time with Hutchinson would certainly be of interest. The chances of that happening are a little slow as talking to prisoners isn’t necessarily approved of, not to mention Hutchinson actually agreeing to it in the first place.

He looks back across the desk at the work he is doing, the burned out communicator, and while yesterday had been really fun with Kylah, it had not ended on the greatest note and a day away thinking about it and with no chance of bumping into her is going to be a little more relaxed than if he is to find himself umming and ahhing in front of her again.

He goes back the message to respond when he notices Lt Onn signed it as Nia and it is certainly more informal that a straight up order or even officer request. He stops to consider if there is any underlying reason, but must of them involve Lt Graham and Rangin is happy to put that to one side for now.
    ONN, LT - Happy to come along. Will check with Lt Cmdr. Roble and confirm availability. – RANGIN, LT. JG
    Following that, he checks with Roble to see if there is nothing urgent to stop him going and if so, he heads off to his cabin to pack.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Each of your respective superior officers is aware of the imminent prisoner-transfer mission to Jaros II, and promptly approves your going along.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Mäkeläinen tells Nia, "Midnight orchid, they call it." If there is any of the first batch of extract ready, he will collect it and give it to her when they regroup; if not, she will have to do without for another day or two.

For this mission, he will not be taking extraneous items like Petri dishes, but will most definitely not forget his black medical bag full of equipment and drugs [The Star Trek Cadet's Orientation Sourcebook lists wound dressing and protoplasers, palm-size diagnostic unit, hypo injector, drug supply including light and heavy sedatives and stimulants, adrenaline, a neural paralyzer, Tri-Ox, and Sterilite; laser scalpels, and other field surgery equipment], as well as a state-of-the-art medical tricorder. Throw in some psychoactive anxiolytics and anti-psychotic medication that can be used to calm a delusional or psychotic patient. His cyberarm will also be configured for laser and mechanical surgery (including precise mechanical tasks, like if it becomes necessary to unscrew something or cut a wire).

Universal translator, for sure.

He believes in the Hippocratic Oath, also all too aware how it is sometimes difficult to interpret. He does not have a problem with the idea of a phaser per se, at least not on a non-lethal stun setting, which may have a legitimate use in a real emergency. It should be noted that most of his kit, cyberarm included, is, in fact, highly lethal if misused. Weapons do not faze him, though an offensive weapon would, for him personally, be ludicrous and, the way he perceives the big picture, impotent.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham packs standard kit for the length and nature of the mission. Prior to heading to the shuttle bay, he swings by Security and checks the latest reports, logs, and what's on the duty roster for the next twenty four hours.

Husband, father, ACOS, Booker.

After a moment's thought, he checks for any Starfleet alerts or reports of anomalies in the area of their mission.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia thanks the doctor again (whether or not he has given her the Midnight Orchid--a name that amuses her, it sounds like a sexy perfume) and hurries off to her quarters, which is when she spots the confirmation from Rangin. More good news. She glances around her typically chaotic cabin and moves to her bed, kneeling down to pull her case out from underneath.

It seems heavier than it should. Frowning, she opens the case and her heart gives a thud at the two items inside. A crystal-enclosed, perfectly preserved water lily. A snow globe depicting a wintry scene with two tiny children making a snowman outside a cabin.
    "Thank you, Booker. I'd call such a gift completely unnecessary but, to be honest..." Nia looks down at the snowglobe fondly and her voice is very soft. "It feels necessary to me. Not that it was necessary for you to give me anything, I just... this globe means more to me than you realize, that's all. I'll treasure it."

After they kiss, he stays near, staring into her eyes. "The gift...it seemed like the right thing to do. Given what little I'd learned about you...but I'd ...it feels right to learn more, if you feel that's worth your time. I'd like that, Nia."
    Nia swallows, her throat suddenly thick and sore. Of course: she'd put these precious items in here for safety before the Novy Rostov refugees spent the week here.

Shutting her eyes, she blanks her mind to the memories of the nights Booker gave her each of these thoughtful gifts--especially the snow globe. With no further hesitation she takes and leaves them on her bed, then returns to the job of packing for the brief trip.

Into the bathroom for hygiene essentials and her dresser for underwear. A quick check that the nebulizer around her neck has its usual emergency doses. (The timing of this mission couldn't be more perfect: she had her Bilitrium compound therapy just last night and won't need another for at least 30 hours.) Then she completes the case with the rest of the standard necessities.

Before she heads out the door to rush to the shuttlebay, she pauses to retrieve her communicator, where she taps out a quick message to Ajay telling him about the mission. As always, she sends him her love and a farewell, just in case anything should happen. Nothing ever has and likely never will, but Nia's not gonna ruin her lucky streak by failing to perform this little ritual.

And it feels especially important now... this awareness that someone knows and cares for her safety; that he'd miss her. That her absence would matter. Would hurt.

Standing in her now-open doorway, Nia lets her gaze stray back to the bed and the two gifts lying there. Then she snaps back into action mode and strides from the quarters, letting the door shut on everything behind her.

Registered
    Jan 2018

Rangin packs the bag quickly. It’s only going to be a day, so aside from the usuals, he wonders what else he can pack to pass the time. A few journals to pass the time and a copy of the work he was putting together on Hutchinson. Maybe if he gets a chance he might find out some more, perhaps have an opportunity to satisfy his personal curiousity. He adds the datapads to the pile while making a mental note to get a tricorder, just in case he gets the opportunity to use it.

He considers taking the work he is doing on the communicator, just to keep working on it, but decides to leave it behind. The best place to both consider and work on that particular conundrum is going to remain the science area, especially as he is likely to need some assistance from Ens. Delaney.

When he finishes packing, he begins to wonder who else will be coming. Obviously, with Hutchinson there, there will be someone from Security, but he doubts that Graham would be involved in such a prison run. Then again with Lt Onn leading the group, it could be anyone from the ship, she seems to know most of the crew well enough. Ah well, the surprise for the day, no doubt. Rangin just hopes it is a pleasant one.

Registered
    Sep 2009

On the Bridge, the turbolift doors whoosh open and Lt. Thalen steps out. He nods to the First Officer and then walks over to Kylah at the Communications console.

He says, "Hello, Mr. Kylah. I hope your watch is going well? Good. You're aware of the comm upgrades to the shuttlecraft Tesla, of course. The most significant have been the installation of the new S-512(L1) subspace transmitter and the S-881(D3) relay-beacon sensor module, as you know. We've been able to simulate their integrated operations successfully, but now that the Tesla is going on a deep space mission, Mr. Cheverez and I agree that this is a prime opportunity for field testing. And, since we'll need a talented Communications officer for the job, I've recommended you, given your experience and skill with the Aelyrr transmission."

He leans a little closer and adds more quietly, "Also, I wanted to give you the chance for at least a brief off-ship mission, after the... unfortunate situation regarding Lt. Graham's orders back at Novy Rostov." He stands straight again. "I'm pleased to tell you the Chief Engineer has approved the assignment. Pack for a day away and report to Lt. Onn, on the double, in the Shuttlebay. Any questions?"
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 08 Apr 2022 at 07:05 AM. Reason: From a concept by SidonianGal. Dialogue by SidonianGal and Elendil's Heir. Mr. Carson's wardrobe by Botany 500.

Registered
    Mar 2012

There is much to digest in Lt. Thalen's words, and Kylah wishes she had time to process it all. But she can sense the importance--the significance--of the responsibility her superior officer is placing on her, and that is enough for her to simply nod without further imposing on him.

Still, she cannot help a concerned glance at Cmdr. Vargas in the Captain's chair, wondering what he thinks. He already cited her for dereliction of duty; this is a chance to make up for her shameful behavior last week.

"No, Lt. Thalen, I have no questions. Just..." She stands and lowers her voice to match his. "Thank you, sir. I will not let you down again. I wish to earn the support and trust you have continually placed in me."

She is relieved--in both senses of the word--and moves as briskly as her short legs can take her to the turbolift and then the longer trek to her quarters. Once inside, she rushes to pack.

Lt. Onn, is she leading this? Kylah shakes her head while throwing together enough items for a day-long mission. Silly question. Of course the Sidonian is in charge--Lt. Thalen would not have mentioned otherwise. And while he did not explicitly say this, they must be the group heading off with Ms. Hutchinson to her final destination.

With dark irony, Kylah considers whom she should fear most. A convicted murderer or Lt. Onn--someone who already has little regard for Kylah, much less after the confrontation over the stowaways in the older woman's cabin.

At least Ms. Hutchinson will be surrounded by guards.

With the thrill of nervousness making her edgy and excited, Kylah races with her messily packed case back to the corridors that will take her to the shuttlebay.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia grinds her teeth while staring at the crew currently assembled near the Tesla, and tries to look like she's not grinding her teeth.

Getting interrupted by a hail while in mid-conversation with Meyer regarding the pre-flight check was annoying enough. Normally Nia would've taken a quick look at her communicator and dismissed it till later. But it was from Cheverez, and might have been important, so she flipped it open and read the brief message.

At the time she exclaimed "Oh you have got to be kidding me" and without hesitation contacted the Chief Engineer to change his mind, or at least negotiate a better choice. Not Soerjosoemarno, Davis or Patel? What about Garcia--well, no, they'd had issues during the last mission. Okay, but what about the newish guy with the hot accent sorta like Ajay's... Miller. Any of them could do the job, couldn't they?

Well no. Apparently not. Apparently testing out the Tesla's sparkling new comms features requires the presence of a rank amateur trouble-making duty-shirking disobedient Ensign not even six months out of the Academy.

The Ensign who, Cheverez had reminded her, was the only person to pick up, locate, enhance, identify and help translate a long-range SOS message, leading to First Contact with the Aelyrr. Expertise in deep space communications was entirely relevant to this field test.

Nia wasn't gonna argue with the Chief--not only her superior, but a brilliant engineer who cares about the Tesla project as much as Nia does. In the end it's his decision and she has to trust it.

Still, the result is that she's commanding a team with two people forced on her. Hooray.

Now, standing with arms akimbo, she eyes Rangin and Booker warily. They're just barely likely to get along without fisticuffs as it is. Add Kylah to the mix? During a 20-hour journey confined to a small shuttle? That's just frickin' great. She has the impulse to change her mind about Rangin, but then realizes that's not fair to him.

The sound of the door far at the back of the shuttlebay is probably the princess herself. Nia takes a deep calming breath and, when Ensign Kylah does indeed prove to be the one scurrying forward, sends a polite nod at her. "Ensign," she says, and then adds--with as little snarky inflection as possible, but she can't help a little sneaking through--"Glad you made it. I appreciate your not making us wait."

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen seeks out the prisoner for a last-minute evaluation to make sure she is ready for transportation. As uncomfortable as this is for everyone, Hutchinson included, she still deserves to be treated with some basic dignity, so he introduces himself and asks how she is feeling, any complaints.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The good doctor finds Hutchinson in the Brig, about to leave there under the watchful eye of Ens. Terrance Thayer Rawlings, the biggest human Dr. Mäkeläinen has ever seen, although he has the impression that the Security officer is something of a gentle giant. "Two Tons" Rawlings is a black American with a shaved head and goatee; it looks like it took about an acre of red duryon fabric to make his Starfleet uniform shirt.

A medical tricorder scan reveals nothing out of the ordinary since the prisoner's last examination. She quietly says, "I'm all right, thanks," and seems disinclined to say much more. Rawlings puts a pair of duranium hand restraints on Hutchinson and leads her and the doctor to the Shuttlebay. Another redshirt brings along the prisoner's and Rawlings's small overnight bags, one over each shoulder.

Lt. Hans Meyer, the Yorktown's shuttle maintenance crew chief, pats the shuttle affectionately and tells Onn, "The Tesla is good to go, Lieutenant, including two photon torpedoes loaded in her tubes. All systems nominal. Hope you have a good trip!"

Registered
    Mar 2012

Slowing down the closer she gets to the group, Kylah tries to catch her breath and just nods at Lt. Onn's dry comment; she does her best to ignore the older woman’s dig, which Kylah must admit is deserved. She immediately spots Velir and is very pleased to see him. But she says nothing, just greets him with another bob of her head, although her gaze is warm.

Once Lt. Onn is addressed by the crew chief Kylah does not recognize, she steps a little closer. "I was only just ordered here," she says softly, hoping to excuse her tardiness--Velir, of course, knows that she did not show up to Lt. Graham's mission at all last week. "Was this a surprise to you, too? You did not mention it yesterday."

+ Reply to thread