+ Reply to thread
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35
Results 1,701 to 1,719 of 1719

Thread: Star Trek RPG - Mission #7: "The War-Brotherhood of Irkhuit"

Registered
    Sep 2009

The Uwat - Onn can't tell if it's one she's seen before; they really do all look alike to her - replies in halting Standard, "Rooms heated nice. But deck cold. Storage below. You be nice. Nice!" He begins to move away.

Rangin smiles at Kylah's kiss, takes her hand and kisses it in return. He says to her, "I'm not sure that the Chalnoth want to be controlled, that's certainly not their personality or, I guess, their culture. I think you're right about that. But I seem to have, I don't know, maybe... an affinity for controlling them. And it, well, it feels good to do it, in an odd way."

Dr. Mäkeläinen thinks Rangin looks almost normal; certainly better than he did back yesterday dirtside in the Black Sun, or immediately after coming aboard this ship. At Kylah's urging, Rangin reluctantly repeats for the good doctor what he already told her.

Rawlings mumbles something in his sleep and rolls over.

In the Common Room are the two Vulcan women Graham and Onn saw earlier in the corridor, just sitting down with food and drink at a table at which T'Ves, the Adept, is already seated.

A smaller Chalnoth is across the room, eating something unrecognizable with his hands. He looks suspiciously at you.

Registered
    Mar 2012

It feels good.

The remarks are worrying, Kylah cannot deny. Having such control might be a heady drug and can be used just as irresponsibly.

But this is Velir. She must trust him. She hovers just outside of the cabin door, her hands tugging restlessly at her sleeves, waiting for the doctor to learn more about Velir's latest symptoms. Lt. Graham hit him with a phaser; could that have triggered this new ability? Can it truly be these Chalnoths?

Some people are easier to read than others. Perhaps it is the same with compelling someone--that some are more susceptible to commands. Would that include her? She does not have a great record of fending off others' emotions, even when the others are not trying to broadcast them. And, again: would she know?

"All this can wait until we are back home," she says staunchly to herself, hugging her arms and leaning back against the wall while she waits for the doctor, and possibly Velir and Mr. Rawlings if those two are willing to go for breakfast.

Registered
    Apr 2015

A little taken aback by the Uwat's chastizement, Nia saves her response to Booker's offer, instead saying that she didn't expect to get etiquette lessons from their hosts.

Inside the Common Room, Nia looks around, dissatisfied. Nowhere for her to lean now, except against the sides of the room, and even Booker would notice if she suddenly started crawling along the periphery of the space.

"The Doc thought it was better for me to stick nearby. For all of us to stick together," she corrects quickly. But roaming the relatively large space is daunting and as soon as she can grab hold of a chair, she does. "But now we're here... I guess I'd appreciate it if you could pick something for me. I can sit and make overtures to the ladies over there. I doubt Mr. Underbite wants company."

She blinks and glances down at the floor, then back up at Booker, atypically abashed. "Unless... you think otherwise? Like I said last night--you better decide what tack to take."

Ape must not kill ape! general_urko's avatar
    Registered
    May 2013

Graham replies to Nia quietly, nodding slightly. "That's a good call. The Vulcans are our best bet for eyes, ears...allies." Then he shakes his head just slightly. "After all that's gone on who the hell knows what else might go off the damn rails..." He sighs. "I'll see what, uh, gourmet treats are in store."

Registered
    Nov 2021

Dr. Mäkeläinen carefully listens to Rangin's story about the Chalnoth and psi powers. "I was there last night. We were all pretty tired, the Chalnoth included, I recall. Not saying they seem like the last people about to start any trouble, but I'm more worried about our own side's nerves. So you are talking about some kind of extrasensory telepathy, like a remote mind meld? I grant such things are possible, yet, ignoring the possible mechanism, you say it was not a conscious effort?" Mäkeläinen would have assumed influencing even an unshielded mind in a specific way, especially without physical contact, would require extraordinary discipline and years of training--- the Vulcans probably have a thing or two to say about that--- otherwise a lot of people all over the Galaxy would be dropping dead after giving each other dirty looks. However, he does not know what, if anything, they are dealing with, or how much credence to give Rangin's tale. Last night, Jol, too, hinted at some means he had for keeping his passengers under control, which common sense suggests he and his crew must have (a couple of handy guards armed with disruptor rifles would do it, if it came to real trouble), but Mäkeläinen did not ascribe to such bluster any special importance.

"Look, if you perceived something, it should be reproducible. Some kind of radiation? Could be difficult or impossible to detect if we have no idea what kind, but we could scan for anything in the frequency range of humanoid brainwaves. At least, we could if they had not confiscated our tricorders for the voyage.

"Let's think scientifically: impossible to conclude anything with one data point. If you ever again get that feeling you described, of involuntary psi effects, you should tell me, then we can start to worry. I already have you down for a full physical when we get back home, you're not the only one, but how do you feel right now? About everything?"

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin says soberly, "We can talk about it now, or we can wait until we get back to the... uh, back home. But it's different from anything I've ever experienced before, and... well, it scares me a little." To the doctor he says, "I'll let you know if it happens again, Doc. For now, I feel pretty good. A lot better than I did last night. I am hungry, though."

Rawlings sneezes and wakes. He gets up, puts his feet down and says , "Man, it's cold off this deck, isn't it?"

There are several empty tables and chairs in the Common Room, if Onn wishes to sit.

Graham checks out the replicator station there. It isn't Federation equipment, but appears relatively easy to operate. The menu options also aren't as lengthy as aboard the Yorktown, but it's not just bread and water, either.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah pays keen attention to Dr. Mäkeläinen's every word, drinking it all in like one of the unpleasant tinctures her parents' physician used while trying to "fix" her. The repellent liquids did not curb her psi powers then, and the doctor's words do not quell her concern now.

But Velir seems to feel better, and he is the one who had the experience. She should not be more concerned than he or Dr. Mäkeläinen. (Or at least, she acknowledges realistically, she should not be seen as being more concerned.) But she casts a hopeful look at the doctor. "Thank you for obliging me, sir. He seemed weaker before. You are right that we shall likely have to wait until we are back. Velir," she adds, turning an encouraging smile to him. "Are you willing to go to breakfast? Or might being in proximity with the Chalnoth cause problems?"

That last question is addressed to both Velir and Dr. Mäkeläinen. She interrupts herself to agree with Mr. Rawlings's observation; her feet are cold even her boots. She tells him they are likely headed for breakfast, and once he and Velir have a chance to wash, the four can join the senior officers.

Kylah vows to speak to Velir whenever they are truly alone later.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Nia waits for Booker to leave, then takes advantage of the chair backs to brace herself along to a table near the Vulcan group. Then, gratefully, she pulls a chair out and slowly takes a seat. Is this how aging feels? Or is it hypobilitria?

She rubs her arms to warm them--and hopefully get her scales to calm the hell down--and turns to the women close by. "Excuse my interruption," she says, bending a little closer. "Just wondering if you know the time? I was about to say 'Good Morning' to you all before I realized it could be nighttime for all I know." If they are receptive she'll introduce herself (as "Nia") and ask what they recommend on the 'menu'.

None of this matters, of course, but Nia's not gonna get into any diplomatic attempts when she's in this state of mind. She gave Booker the responsibility; she has to let him take it.

Registered
    Nov 2021

The Doctor says to Rangin, “If you were not just tired and there really is an anomalous effect in play, then it has a cause; work with me and we'll find it. No need to worry about that.

After a beat, he continues, “I'm glad you asked to talk. We are still in the thick of it, and we need some time to... process recent events. We should continue our talk soon, but right now, judging purely by appearances, you look in better shape than I do. If you are up for it, I was just on my way to see whether I can get the knockoff Nutrimat they have in there to dispense something hot and palatable.”

To Rawlings he says, “Our room's the same. Haven't seen yet how this deck is laid out; we could be standing over vacuum.”

As for Kylah, [has she really been standing around and listening to what she herself acknowledged was meant to be a private conversation? :-D] he shrugs and says, “Too early in the day for mayhem, I put.”

Registered
    May 2013

Graham does his best to work the replicator to get as close as he can to a traditional Scottish breakfast.

Then he returns with his harvest - plus coffee, tea, and (hopefully) a close approximation to orange juice - to Nia.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Rangin says with a smile, "Well, I definitely don't want to have you wait on me. I'll come get some breakfast. I'll keep my distance from the Chalnoth - after what happened dirtside, I'm certainly not looking for trouble." He gets up and gets dressed. Rawlings, yawning, does the same.

Onn soon realizes that the deck of the Common Room isn't nearly as cold as it was in her quarters.

T'Ves, the Vulcan leader, says to her, "Good morning. It is indeed late morning, ship's time." She nods to her two younger colleagues. "Please pardon them; they are not permitted to speak to others, by the rules of our Order."

Graham is able, with some experimentation, to extract a bumpy, ham-like meat from the replicator, as well as hot foods more or less resembling toast, beans and eggs. No fresh vegetables or fruits are available, unfortunately, nor any haggis, although there are several Uwat dishes which are just about the stinkiest, most disgusting he has ever encountered. There is plentiful coffee (common throughout the galaxy, wherever Humans have been) and several kinds of tea, including aromatic Vulcan tea (T'Ves, he can smell, is having some) and what appear to be several varieties of darkly-colored, opaque fruit juices, tastes unknown.
    Last edited by Elendil's Heir; 09 Apr 2024 at 11:13 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2012

Kylah, having stepped into the corridor to wait for the men, will rejoin them to head to the Common Room.

(The girl has a generous definition of 'private'--as is evident by the fact that she seems to have slept in a cabin w/two semi-nude men!)

Registered
    Apr 2015

"I'm sorry to hear they can't talk," Nia says with a sympathetic look at the younger Vulcans. Then she realizes that a condolence-like response might be insulting to them, assuming they voluntarily chose the order. "That must be a challenge with its own rewards. How long does this, uh, ritual take?"

That sounds a little judgy too, though she didn't mean it to be. Stick to safe talk. Booker'll be here. She looks up to see the very man approaching and in addition to the sight delivering a grateful rush of relief, the sight of something steaming in the air immediately makes Nia want to pounce on whatever hot food he's brought. Resisting, she turns back to T'ves and gestures to the women. "Sorry if you told me this last night. I've been under the weather and my memory's...patchy."

Her smile tilts slightly. "Last night's sleep didn't help. Does the frigidity bother you? --Of the deck," Nia blurts, eyes widening as soon as she hears her own question. "The--the floor ought to be better insulated if they're gonna cheap out and avoid heating the Doregg's belly."
    Last edited by SidonianGal; 10 Apr 2024 at 08:10 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2021

While Rangin is getting dressed, Dr. Mäkeläinen takes the moment to slip back into his own cabin and pick up his medical stuff, sealing the door again after he leaves. He will accompany Ginran, Terrance [assuming he is coming too], and Kylah to the Common Room. He wordlessly, yet politely acknowledges any Vulcans, Uwat, and even Chalnoth there if they turn to eyeball the new arrivals. He uses his experience and knowledge of ingredients to do his best to coax the replicator-like device into outputting strong, spiced coffee and offers some to Ginran and his other companions before taking some for himself. Nia, he notices, already has a drink in front of her--- is she eating and drinking? A good sign, if so. For his own breakfast, he is fascinated by the Uwat dishes on the pre-programmed menu and extracts a decent-sized variety plate.

Registered
    May 2013

Graham nods in greeting to the Vulcans, but addresses Nia first. "I, ah, tried to get what we call a "Scottish Breakfast" traditionally, back on Earth. It's, um - well, this is in some cases relatively close. In some cases...not so much..."

After a brief pause, he adds "At least there's coffee."

He places the "feast" on the table and takes a seat himself.

Registered
    Sep 2009

T'Ves nods in greeting to Graham and explains to Onn, "The typical novitiate in our order maintains her vow of silence for at least three years. It will be quite some time before these sisters will be able to speak. Thank you for your understanding." She also says, with an expression that Onn cannot quite read, "Yes, the deck is quite cold, we have also noticed. I have no explanation for it."

Dr. Mäkeläinen is able to get spiced coffee from the replicator and finds it palatable but not particularly good; it has a slight but noticeable metallic aftertaste. Rangin thanks him, takes one sip from his mug but then grimaces and goes to get something for himself. Rawlings drinks more of his own coffee, stops, but then shrugs and stays put. The doctor finds the Uwat food on his plate only slightly less repulsive than Graham did.

Three more Chalnoth enter the Common Room and look around. One of them is their leader, Teloqq, whom you saw last night.

Registered
    Mar 2012

As soon as they enter the Common Room, Kylah takes a quick, curious glance around, noting Lt. Onn by herself but addressing the Vulcan party, and Lt. Graham fetching an admirably full tray of... something. And a Chalnoth dines (a generous term) alone, though aware of the others even if he is not among them. A little buzz of anxiety turns her head to Velir. Hopefully there is nothing that will trigger whatever power he displayed last night.

She heads to the replicator and, with more hope than expectation, tries to get anything resembling a hot, sweet drink. Hot chocolate is her favorite, of course, but perhaps the Uwat's technology does not have the capability to create something divine. Even the Yorktown's replicators cannot do so--not perfectly. Kylah can taste the difference. Although Andy Johnson has provided her with what had to be genuine cocoa. It nearly intoxicated her.

Whatever she receives, she will add something pastry-esque and whatever meat-like substance appears. After dining on gagh, Kylah figures she can manage this.

A frisson of unease runs through the air like the instant before lightning strikes. She stops examining her food and notices the source: more Chalnoths have arrived, including Teloqq himself. Now she is concerned, and without looking at Velir stands in his way, subconsciously trying to shield him from the leader--and to shield Teloqq from Velir, for that matter.

She herself avoids meeting Teloqq's gaze, assuming he will ignore her anyway as small and insignificant. But she does peek up to see if the unwell Chalnoth she encountered last night is among the group. If he is, she thinks fervently, please let him ignore me as well. Or at least do not be angry that I saw him in distress.

Registered
    Apr 2015

Tired, weak and slow-witted Nia might be, but her instincts are still somewhat intact. T'ves is implying something, just as she was last night. But she's being cryptic. Nia excuses herself when turning to Booker, inwardly irritated. Bloody Vulcans. Just spit it out, woman.

She accepts the coffee from Booker with a weary but genuine smile. Her hands curl around the mug to benefit from any residual heat, and then she takes an experimental sniff, then sips. From Book's expression, she expected worse. But she's in survival mode now, and back home she grew up drinking filtered mud water. Taste was not a priority. While her palate has thankfully been introduced to exquisite foods in the many years since she left Sidonia, she retains her race's inherent abilities. Filter out the crap and thrive on any good she can get, 'cause it won't last long.

"Thanks for the attempt at the breakfast," she says as he sits down. "Not sure I'm up to much. But I think Doc'll kill me if I don't have a bite. Sweet of you to help me out." She leans over to him and, since she's already got a rep among the Uwat for being demonstrative, gives Book a gentle embrace while she murmurs in his ear, "The girls don't speak. T'ves does more implying than speaking, which might mean we can't talk freely. Something's up. Or down. Lower deck's frozen for them too."

Nia doesn't need to do anything to further the pretense, but when she draws back and their cheeks touch, her gaze lingers on his, maybe a little too tenderly, before she gives him a hoarse thank you and sits back to occupy herself with a long sip of her hot sludge. The steam helps her hide her embarrassment. Fortunately, Book won't care anyway--it'll mean nothing to him and he'll focus on the Vulcans and whatever they're hiding.

Registered
    Nov 2021

Bizhi makes a show of delivering incomprehensible dark imprecations upon the food, adding, "These dishes must be absolutely sublime for that machine to malafuster them that badly," providing a knowing look to any Chalnoth eyeballing his group. He drinks his coffee, though, and he eats his meal, without saying much.

+ Reply to thread