+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whatcha' Reading, May edition

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Whatcha' Reading, May edition

I tend to work one book at a time. I find it a bit difficult to work several, though I've done it now and again. I just finished A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. Amusing travelogue by a great writer. He kind of sort of walks the Appalachian Trail.

Currently diving into The Year of Living Biblically. VERY clever. Hope it is as deep as the jacket implies. Otherwise, it will turn out to be a blog in print form.

Looking forward to an Anne Tyler book my g.f. mentioned.

Cartooniverse
    If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mary Higgins Clark and Nora Roberts are two authors I don't really find worth reading. MHC writes "suspense" novels, the woman in danger type. Nora Roberts writes mostly romance, I think, plus these awful science fiction mysteries with "in death" in all of the titles. Roberts churns out a dozen or so books a year, it seems.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My mom and sister are fans of Nora Roberts, and they sent me a whole sack of her books. But I can't seem to bring myself to even start one, which I guess is dumb. But the plot descriptions just don't do anything for me.

For one thing, I don't quite trust my mom's recommendations. She's good for advice on older books (she turned me on to Herriot and Heyer and Sayers and Hillerman) but these days she will read books that I wouldn't use to prop up a wobbly table.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby
    I also checked out a Mary Higgins Clark. I've never read her or Nora Roberts. I read one Danielle Steel, once and vowed never again. Are MHC and NR of better caliber? I'm looking for books to read on a looooonnnnnggggg plane trip.
    I picked up a couple of Mary Higgins Clarks at a yard sale. I don't know if she's just very hit-or-miss or what, but the two books I tried reading were both absolutely awful.
    I used to read a lot of MHC, but haven't read anything in recent years, so maybe the quality has gone downhill. IIRC, some of her books were pretty good. Brain candy/beach read-type books, but they weren't bad.

My opinion of Nora Roberts is exactly the same as Eleanor of Aquitaine's. My mother reads a lot of her books, and has passed some on to me, but I just can't get into them. I've started a couple of them, but they never hold my interest beyond the first 10 or 12 pages.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I requested Federation from the library and it should be coming soon.

I also checked out a Mary Higgins Clark. I've never read her or Nora Roberts. I read one Danielle Steel, once and vowed never again. Are MHC and NR of better caliber? I'm looking for books to read on a looooonnnnnggggg plane trip.
    I gave up on MHC when I realized the key to figuring out the killer in every single one of her books.* I also got sick of all the Burberry coats.

I read a third of A Garden of Earthly Delights and gave up on it. Not one person in that book had any redeeming qualities and the misogyny was overwhelming. I'm working on Dandelion Wine as well. It's nice, but I can only read small sections at a time.

*[spoiler:13y58fnr]It's always the man the woman trusts the most.[/spoiler:13y58fnr]
    Why won't those stupid idiots let me join their crappy club for jerks?

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I requested Federation from the library and it should be coming soon.

For a long plane trip, I highly recommend "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. It's a suspense/mystery novel that weaves together three narratives from three time periods. I couldn't put it down.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by SpazCat
    I gave up on MHC when I realized the key to figuring out the killer in every single one of her books.* I also got sick of all the Burberry coats.

I read a third of A Garden of Earthly Delights and gave up on it. Not one person in that book had any redeeming qualities and the misogyny was overwhelming. I'm working on Dandelion Wine as well. It's nice, but I can only read small sections at a time.

*[spoiler:qtrozmnv]It's always the man the woman trusts the most.[/spoiler:qtrozmnv]
    I read two of MHC's books, and I just felt as if she drew the name from a hat at the end. The reveals never felt like they grew organically from the plot, but were just chosen randomly in order to be a "surprise." Well, of course it's a surprise when there are no clues given!

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah. I picked up a few MHC at the library and the back blurbs all seemed to involved young (as in child) girls. I found that creepy as hell. I will try one of hers (While You Were Sleeping or some such) and if it sucks, out goes her. I don't want to buy a book to read on the plane, so I'm stuck with what is at my lib. I will look for the Morton book.

I have the same opinion re my mother's book recommendations! I try to smile and change the subject. But she was the one who turned me on to Heyer, Tey, Sayers, Aird etc. Go figure.

I would like to recommend Deanna Raybourne to those here who like historical mysteries. The first one is a bit uneven and takes a bit to get started, but once she has the characters established, the next 2 are great reads. All her titles (all 3) start with Silent in the______.

I hope the Federation book comes before I leave. I'd like to read it on the plane.

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    Quote Originally posted by SpazCat

*[spoiler:b2p2n2ls]It's always the man the woman trusts the most.[/spoiler:b2p2n2ls]
    I read two of MHC's books, and I just felt as if she drew the name from a hat at the end. The reveals never felt like they grew organically from the plot, but were just chosen randomly in order to be a "surprise." Well, of course it's a surprise when there are no clues given!
    I find this to be an annoying trait among the modern genre mystery novel. The detective seems to stumble upon the answer accidentally or through strange coincidence. The fun of old-school mysteries like Agatha Christie is trying to figure out the solution before the detective does.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

While on a day trip to St. Augustine, FL, Memorial Day, a small group of us stopped into a used book shop just outside the historic downtown, where I picked up a little light reading: The Penguin History of the World. I now also have on my summer reading list books on quantum field theory and tensor calculus.

Yeah, I sure know how to have a good time.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm finishing up Neal Stephenson's "Anathem" -- hoping to finish it on the train ride home, in fact. I've been a big fan of some of his other books, but I don't think I'm going to be sure what I thought of this one until I'm done.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just got The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University, for the Kindle. It is true, the Kindle lets you read more books, but I have just noticed the number of half-eaten books on my contents page. Buying a book does not require one to finish it, but still I am surprised how many books I have started and not read completely.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Ah, Nora... Where I work some of the teachers got big into Nora Roberts and the books were flying around between us. Mostly they were read because you didn't have to think about them, real chewing gum for the brain. BUT they are quick reads so if you want to finish a book in a couple of hours, they're ideal and they aren't really all that bad, I wouldn't classify them in with 'awful'. My Mum was here and had bought one at the airport. I was surprised she had it and was telling her how they follow a formula and there is always a man and a woman who hate each other who then end up in love and to be married by the end of the book. She said she'd bring it back with her the next time she came.
    When she next came over she told me, "I didn't bring that Nora Roberts, seems to me if you've read one, you've read them all". True dat...

Eleanor of Aquitaine I have not forgotten my offer of the books, I just need to get down to the study and see what I have that you don't! I hope you can get the Kate Morton for the plane trip, it is a great read!

As for me, I haven't had much time to read recently, we've had visitors staying and between them and the girls and life in general my book time has been cut down. Hoping to make up for it at the weekend though!!
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sleeps w/Butterflies
    Currently I'm reading book #5 of Stephen King's Dark Tower series, Wolves of the Calla. I love it!
    It's a good action/adventure story all on its own, and then of course fits into the overall DT story arc. The only book in the series that dragged for me was Song of Susannah. OK, and maybe the first half of the last book.
    I'm finally into the last book, about a third of the way through. Whew, it's been a long journey but I'm still really liking it.

I finished Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined and I was rather unimpressed. It's worth a read, but I don't buy the general idea as the gospel truth.

Now (besides the Stephen King) I've moved on to Ebola

Queen of the Metrolink
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    A wretched hive of scum and villainy, So Cal

Currently I am reading A Distant Mirror, courtesy of my Mom's library. I just finished Code of the Woosters and Tortilla Flat. Trying to get my pleasure reading in [del:15c3zcb9]before law school starts[/del:15c3zcb9] before I start reading for law school before it actually starts and I go back to hating books.
    I'm pro-choice and I shoot back.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm finally into the last book, about a third of the way through. Whew, it's been a long journey but I'm still really liking it.
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Bump this thread when you finish, if you're so overwhelmed by the ending that you need to talk about it with someone.

Now (besides the Stephen King) I've moved on to Ebola
    If you're enjoying that, try The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Among the endorsement blurbs on the inside cover is one by Stephen King, wherein he calls the first thirty pages "the most horrifying thing I've ever read."
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Butterscotch

Eleanor of Aquitaine I have not forgotten my offer of the books, I just need to get down to the study and see what I have that you don't! I hope you can get the Kate Morton for the plane trip, it is a great read!

That was me, eleanorigby. We Eleanors can be hard to distinguish! :smile:

Perhaps I'll buy a Nora Roberts and leave it in my hotel room--my "gift" to Iceland...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If you're enjoying that, try The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. Among the endorsement blurbs on the inside cover is one by Stephen King, wherein he calls the first thirty pages "the most horrifying thing I've ever read."
    I read The Hot Zone several years ago. I think I'll have to dig it out and re-read it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by BiblioCat
    I read The Hot Zone several years ago. I think I'll have to dig it out and re-read it.
    If you liked The Hot Zone, try Preston's The Demon in The Freezer. Similar theme - non-fiction account of virus outbreak - only this time it's smallpox. Ewwww.

find me at Goodreads

אני אוהב יהודים!
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If you liked The Hot Zone, try Preston's The Demon in The Freezer. Similar theme - non-fiction account of virus outbreak - only this time it's smallpox. Ewwww.
    I'm a sucker for those kind of books. Ebola is a step down in scariness IMHO but still interesting. I think my favorite, so far, has been Virus Hunter.

I'm in the homestretch now for The Dark Tower. I can't wait to see how it turns out

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks. I'll look for it.

I'm a sucker for those kind of books. Ebola is a step down in scariness IMHO but still interesting. I think my favorite, so far, has been Virus Hunter.
    That one sounds familiar. I think I may have read it.
    I'm a sucker for those books, too, but it's always scary when you sneeze while reading one of them. All sorts of scary thoughts go through your head.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

That was me, eleanorigby. We Eleanors can be hard to distinguish! :smile:
    Perhaps I'll buy a Nora Roberts and leave it in my hotel room--my "gift" to Iceland...
    Wait, now I am all confused. The books I mentioned were the Lindsey Davis ones we talked about earlier in the thread:

Quote Originally posted by Eleanor of Aquitaine
    I've just got my copy of the second book in Lindsey Davis's mystery series set in Ancient Rome.
    snip
    I read and loved this series, I think I have 11 or 13 of them. DO you want them? As part of my decluttering I will send them to a good home where I know they will be read and loved!!
    Did I promise you books as well? I'm sorry, I am sleep deprived!!
    "We don't need to all lose glitter privileges because one kid makes a sparkly penis on the carpeting." - Excalibur

Registered
    Mar 2009

You are confused--I don't know Davis' books! Federation came in--what other ST books should I read? I'm on a Star Trek kick--mostly TOS. I can't take Federation with me--it's hardcover and they weigh too much.

I am just realizing that I have a boatload of shit to do before I leave on Wednesday, so no more perusing novels for me. I'll be back, though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I finished Snow Crash and am almost done with Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
    Finished Good Omens. Not exactly my favorite Gaiman book so far, and it's the first thing I've read by Terry Pratchett, so I don't really know if the over-the-top silliness is his influence. It was a really breezy, funny read, though. I can see why it's compared to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I did a run to the secondhand book store and made off with a sweet Lewis Carroll anthology, Caleb Carr's The Alienist for artifex, and Frank Herbert's Destination: Void, which I am digging into right now.

find me at Goodreads

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You are confused--I don't know Davis' books! Federation came in--what other ST books should I read? I'm on a Star Trek kick--mostly TOS. I can't take Federation with me--it's hardcover and they weigh too much.
    Butterscotch, it's me with the Davis books, and eleanorigby who was looking for something to read on the plane next week.

eleanorigby, it's been a while, but for Star Trek books I liked Uhura's Song, by Janet Kagan. I also liked the novels by Diane Duane.

I finished the new Dresden Files book, Turn Coat. Butcher is really maintaining the quality in this series. They're certainly page-turners.

Right now I'm reading Alison Weir's Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery and Murder in Medieval England. Isabella was Edward II's queen. Weir calls her books biographies, but so little is actually known about these medieval women that the books are really general histories, and they usually end up being more about the royal men than the titular subject, simply because more evidence of the men's lives has survived.

I've also started Michael Flynn's Lodestar, the third book in his Firestar series. It's near-future science fiction about a private space program. I really like Flynn.

Registered
    Mar 2009

That is because it's non-fiction. And yeah. Unspeakably frightening

Reston, Virginia. Holy crap.
    If you want to kiss the sky, you'd better learn how to kneel.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

IIRC, part of The Hot Zone takes place at Fort Detrick in Maryland, which is upwind of where I live.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    I also have a stack of YA books that were involved in this Battle of the Kids' Books at School Library Journal.
    I'd really be interested in other people's takes on the books involved in this little contest. So far, I've read:

Tender Morsels, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The Hunger Games, Graceling, and the Graveyard Book.

It's hard to pick a favorite from these, though I think I'd probably rank them (I keep having to redo my ranking because I can't decide):

1. Graceling
    2. The Hunger Games
    3. The Disreputable History
    4. Graveyard
    5. Tender Morsels

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cartooniverse
    That is because it's non-fiction. And yeah. Unspeakably frightening

Reston, Virginia. Holy crap.
    Yeah, I grew up in the Maryland-side 'burbs of DC and that story freaked me out.

BTW, Cartooniverse, I gotta draw your attention to the "reminds you of" thread. 'Cause I'm proud of my accomplishment.

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I returned the Mary Higgins Clark unread. I had no desire to open it, much less read it. I doubt I'm the Nora Roberts or MHC type.

I am enjoying SOME of Federation. I am tending to skip the techno-jargon (I'm not that kind of geek). The storyline(s) were a bit much at first, but it has settled down and it will be very interesting to see how they all come together.

Still need a paperback book for the flight. Am hoping to get to Borders on Tuesday.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm reading "Keeping Our Cool: Canada in a Warming World" by Andrew Weaver. He was a lead author of the IPCC's reports and not mincing words AT ALL about how real Anthropogenic Global Warming is and how serious it is.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Murukami's Underground, which is not at all what I had expected.
    It is a series of interviews done with consenting survivors of the Sarin gas attack on the Tokyo underground rail system.

It is excellent but a bit of a slog and I have ducked out for a while to read a Patricia Cornwell novel (Scarpetta)*. It isn't here in front of me and I can't remember the title, Oh well!

*Had to go and find it - I had her name wrong and looked up Charlotte Cornwell but that was all wrong
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Thanks, Eleanor.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I bought the latest Annie Lamott book (NOT her fiction--I can't stand her fiction) and 2 ST books for the flight. One of them was "written" by William Shatner, which should make it fun.

Federation was ok. I had some issues with the writing style of one of the authors (and IMO, I could tell when one was writing vs the other one). I'll give you an example:

I wanted to read this book for pleasure and for enjoyment. I picked it for those reasons and for my current interest in the ST phenomenon. Reading is pleasurable to me and I do it often and have done so throughout my life.
    I know of no better way to enter another world.
    This book provided me with another world.
    And I was happy.

After the first 6-7 times of reading stuff like that, I wanted to scream. Loudly. And perhaps forever.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Picked up Annie Lamott's latest "faith" book, Grace Eventually. I used to like her a lot--I loved Operating Instructions: a Guide to My Son's First Year and some of her other nonfic (can't stand her fic) have been very good. This last one, well.... what a waste of $15. She recycles jokes from her other books, rehashes her old problems some and (unforgivably) is dull. Dull as in I kept thinking, surely this is the last chapter and then would get mad when it wasn't. Blech.

If you must read her, read Bird by Bird or Traveling Mercies--both excellent. But stop there. (just MHO).

+ Reply to thread