+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is this a joke, George Will?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Is this a joke, George Will?

George Will, I have a secret to tell you. Lean in a little closer. Ready? Okay. You dress like a dork.

So, judging me by my jeans is particularly goofy, coming from you. I mean damn! That's like getting housekeeping tips from Jeffrey Dahmer.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Is this a joke, George Will?

I knew I gave up on George Will years ago for a reason.

Good Bo, man, do you realize you sound like Grandpa Simpson? I don't care how many onions you tied to your belt when the United States was young and virile. You're a decrepit old coot now, and you haven't had a relevant thought since the Rough Riders got back from Cuba.

This man gives a bad name to people with sticks up their asses everywhere.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

Registered
    Mar 2009

Egads, I'm a curmudgeon, myself, and I think he (and the person he's lauding) are uptight fashionistas. Some people choose clothing because it is comfortable.

Besides, I hate the idea of wearing a noose, anyways.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Up next: George Will exposes the dangers of rock and roll music, including Elvis Presley's scandalously gyrating hips!!

From the article:
    Denim is the clerical vestment for the priesthood of all believers in democracy's catechism of leveling -- thou shalt not dress better than society's most slovenly. To do so would be to commit the sin of lookism -- of believing that appearance matters.
    Jeans = "most slovenly"? Really? There's waaay more room further down the slovenly scale than blue jeans. Will must hang out with some very sharp [sub:5bvov8jt]or very uptight[/sub:5bvov8jt] dressers, indeed.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Bad call, Georgy Boy--Grace Kelly wore blue jeans. Being of a certain social class, Grace learned to dress appropriately for circumstances: she would not have appeared for a nature hike in a gown, for example. I couldn't find a quick and easy Google pic of her in blue jeans, but I'm sure she had at least one pair. Living in the 70s, she was bound to.

Like everything else, there are jeans and there are jeans. Jeans do not automatically make one look sloppy. Much depends on the jeans, the figure of the person wearing them and what they are paired with (top, shoes, jacket).

Perhaps he would like us to return to the leisure suit? Or the zoot suit? <shudders> Of course, I gave up on George Will long ago--he is exactly the kind of carping, whiney man who writes complaining letters to the editor about "kids today" and the like.

The irony is that he wrote that a wearer of blue jeans today only exerts himself enough to put his golf clubs into the car--thing is, at least around here, you can't wear blue jeans to the clubs OR on the golf courses. Maybe if George belonged to a club that had a dress code, he'd know that....*

* we don't belong now, but I grew up with such a club.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The hair. I can't get past the hair. It's fascinating, just not in a good way.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I find the line "horny-handed sons of toil" somewhat disquieting.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

He gets paid to write drivel like that? Does he really believe anyone besides maybe my granddad might read it and go "Go get 'em!"

What's he through, the Washington Post? I hope they listen to the public on this and can his ass.

Next week: Will talks on how far he had to walk in three feet of snow to get to school. Uphill both ways.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

George Will is an asshole, albeit a sesquipedalian asshole. His columns can improve your vocabulary while pissing you off.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Had to be a joke. I don't remember, was the publication date 4/1?
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

George Will makes is cultural irrelevance obvious with quotes like this:
    Seventy-five percent of American "gamers" -- people who play video games -- are older than 18 and nevertheless are allowed to vote.
    For him, recreations like baseball, golf and football don't disqualify you for the suffrage, but playing a video game does. What an antediluvian idiot he is!

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Giles
    George Will makes is cultural irrelevance obvious with quotes like this:
    Seventy-five percent of American "gamers" -- people who play video games -- are older than 18 and nevertheless are allowed to vote.
    For him, recreations like baseball, golf and football don't disqualify you for the suffrage, but playing a video game does. What an antediluvian idiot he is!
    This is what Republicans think is smart, interesting political commentary.

Obeah Man, Mischief Maker, Lord of Bees Skald the Rhymer's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by eleanorigby
    Bad call, Georgy Boy--Grace Kelly wore blue jeans. Being of a certain social class, Grace learned to dress appropriately for circumstances: she would not have appeared for a nature hike in a gown, for example. I couldn't find a quick and easy Google pic of her in blue jeans, but I'm sure she had at least one pair. Living in the 70s, she was bound to.
    That's a bad example. She was Grace Kelly. In 1952, the men of Earth took a vote, and it was decided unanimously that she be allowed, in perpetuity, to do whatever the hell she wanted if only she would continue to be.
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon." (Chesterton)

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Giles
    Oh, and he's a bigtime devotee of baseball at that. Maybe you've seen him at one of the games - he's the guy with the satin team jacket and the slacks and wingtips. What a weenie.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

One wonders if Will irons his underwear. (I'm guessing he's one of those who laments the no suits and hats at ball games like another poster we know of)
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guinastasia
    One wonders if Will irons his underwear. (I'm guessing he's one of those who laments the no suits and hats at ball games like another poster we know of)

Don't be silly. George wouldn't iron his underwear! That's what wives are for...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Anybody who tries to eliminate my daily visual buffet of shapely asses lovingly wrapped in snug denim is cruising for an ass whipping.

+ Reply to thread