+ Reply to thread

Thread: So is Vice President Biden Stupid or just really careless?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default So is Vice President Biden Stupid or just really careless?

His latest gaffe is a big one even by his standards. First here is the GoogleNews link to 1480 or more articles on yesterday's not-so-harmless gaffe.

Here are some quotes from yesterday:
    Quote Originally posted by VP
    "If you're out in the middle of a field and someone sneezes, that's one thing," ... "If you're in a closed aircraft or closed container or closed car or closed classroom, it's a different thing"

"It's not that it's going to Mexico," he said in the interview. "It's that you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft."
    There has been an effort to avoid panic, protect the public and avoid a scare that hurts business. Biden's ill-chosen words did not help the situation.

From the NY Times: As fears about swine flu spread, the airline industry is bracing for the worst, worried that travelers will cancel their plans to fly to or from not only Mexico, but also almost anywhere else in the world.

The NY Daily News appears to be voting stupid: Well, shut his mouth: Blabbering Joe Biden was a swine flu dope.

They did nominate him for a special Nobel though:
    For elevating pathologically excessive and often incoherent talkativeness (as the disorder is clinically defined) to heights never dreamed, this year's Nobel goes to a man possessed of a rare combination of minimum intelligence and maximum pomposity. ...
    I vote stupid, maybe as stupid as Dan Quayle.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Default Re: So is Vice President Biden Stupid or just really careless?

I don't care what anyone says about this. People should shut off their televisions and get off their asses and go do something.

As usual it all boils down to money honey. WTH, tamiflu is making a killing! Drug companies are loving it, as usual.

You know what? I voted for these guys but I am beginning to think it was the wrong decision (until I remember who was against them that is...gawd). I think they should let the whole house of cards collapse and rebuild it from the ground up. I mean, get this, on my travels I saw three buildings going up, another lot with a huge sign announcing what is coming. Guess what they all were? Small businesses? Hell no. BANKS.

Sorry to go off topic. This is just all pissing me off.
    Boldly going nowhere.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by marymary
    I don't care what anyone says about this. People should shut off their televisions and get off their asses and go do something.

As usual it all boils down to money honey. WTH, tamiflu is making a killing! Drug companies are loving it, as usual.

You know what? I voted for these guys but I am beginning to think it was the wrong decision (until I remember who was against them that is...gawd). I think they should let the whole house of cards collapse and rebuild it from the ground up. I mean, get this, on my travels I saw three buildings going up, another lot with a huge sign announcing what is coming. Guess what they all were? Small businesses? Hell no. BANKS.

What are you even talking about?

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The sacred office of the Vice President is the cornerstone of American politics and the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is Biden, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. and he will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my country. And you will know my name is the Biden when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I would totally do Joe Biden. He's awesome.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur

What are you even talking about?
    Wait, I'm an active member of an environmental group, I actually can translate Hippy. :wink:

"Forget about Biden and his big mouth. The evil corporations are really to blame. Our guys are not as bad as their guys but even Obama/Biden are still in the pocket of Big Business."

Is that a good summary marymary?

Registered
    Feb 2009

As usual discounting entirely that "Big Business" means "Jobs for regular folks". Pass me some granola.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's a sad commentary on the state of our media and on the readiness of Americans to hurl invective, regardless of the insignificance of the provocation.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I know that the OP said "Big one even by his standards", but really, isn't he just being Biden?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I don't really understand what Jim (lol) is upset about.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday
    I know that the OP said "Big one even by his standards", but really, isn't he just being Biden?
    Well I thought this one stood out a bit more for timing and possible economic effect. However, I am getting the feeling that the general impression is that nobody takes him serious and he is only there for comic effect.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    ...However, I am getting the feeling that the general impression is that nobody takes him serious and he is only there for comic effect.
    Just the guy we want one heartbeat away from the Presidency. Oh, well...I guess we could have done one hell of a lot worse.

There is an article here that explains why it would have been nice if Biden hadn't said what he did http://www.boston.com/news/health/artic ... try_reels/

The US airline industry really could have used a good summer after a series of crises big and small. People were already cancelling flights to Mexico because of flu fears...now the VP has told them in what was apparently an off the cuff remark that it might be a good idea to not fly anywhere.

Do we really want the federal government running the banks, the auto companies AND the airlines?

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
    Do we really want the federal government running the banks, the auto companies AND the airlines?
    Do we want the people who are currently running them doing so?

Registered
    Mar 2009

So are we more worried about the airline industry or containing a pandemic?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Control-Z
    Both I believe. Biden should be follow the lead of the medical people and WHO, not having diarrhea of the mouth.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Do we want the people who are currently running them doing so?
    Sorry, but I really don't believe that putting large sectors of the economy under the direct control of the Federal government is a wise long-term strategy. Obama apparently agrees, judging by his remarks over the last few days.

Quote Originally posted by Control-Z
    It would be much harder to fight the pandemic if the economy went completely down the tubes. Look at the flu death rates so far in Mexico (weaker economically) vs. the US.

Fortunately this is a false dilemma...no one with a medical background has suggested that flying in an airplane puts you at greater risk for swine flu...it was an off the cuff remark by the VP.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sorry, but I really don't believe that putting large sectors of the economy under the direct control of the Federal government is a wise long-term strategy.
    Clearly.

Obama apparently agrees, judging by his remarks over the last few days.
    Undoubtedly.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=What Exit?]
    Quote Originally posted by "Control-Z":2mv1drbk
    Both I believe. Biden should be follow the lead of the medical people and WHO, not having diarrhea of the mouth.[/quote:2mv1drbk]

Well, you just want the whole damn world and a cookie, too, don't ya?

I honestly don't think Biden's that stupid. I think he's got a disconnect between his brain and his mouth when there's a microphone in front of him. Hey, at least The Daily Show gets plenty of material out of him.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I think his total lack of appropriateness is charming . . . oh Joe Biden, you're as sexy as 60-somethings get.

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by hatesfreedom
    The sacred office of the Vice President is the cornerstone of American politics and the path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is Biden, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. and he will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my country. And you will know my name is the Biden when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
    Jules 3:16.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually, I am kind of a Biden fan.

But I also think the guy talks before he thinks sometimes.

That said, I also think that this swine flu thing is bullshit.

reports yesterday began calling it....(wait for it) non fatal.

So...the globe, and CNN especially, is freaking out over a bad cold.

We really need to get over ourselves.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

No Ordinary Rabbit Count Blucher's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chefguy
    It's a sad commentary on the state of our media and on the readiness of Americans to hurl invective, regardless of the insignificance of the provocation.
    Its the state of bloviation we've grown to expect for the next 4 years. Its a non-event statement complete with pre packaged outrage. Maybe the airlines were looking forward to a good summer, but pandemics happen.

I'm sure Amity Beach was looking forward to a good summer too, so why blow those isolated shark attacks out of proportion? The mayor was only trying to protect jobs and industry there...

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Count Blucher
    ...I'm sure Amity Beach was looking forward to a good summer too, so why blow those isolated shark attacks out of proportion? The mayor was only trying to protect jobs and industry there...
    You do know that wasn't a true story, right?

Again, though, it isn't a choice anyone needs to make. Flying in a plane is not a risk factor for swine flu. The problem is the Vice President got on TV and told everyone not to fly, with no basis for it.

It would be like (to take your fictional analogy) the police cheif of Amity Beach telling everyone not to go swimming to avoid getting attacked by Bengal tigers.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I like Joe Biden, I think he's a good guy.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Tigers love playing in the water.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I read the book. Peter Benchley says 'hi'. Yes its fiction, thats the section I checked it out of. It also has a cute nude illustration on the front. But if you can get past the illustration and read the book, you'll find its an interesting allegory. The same can be said about 'The Prince' and the works of Aristotle, and I encourage you to read them even if they don't have cute nude artwork. You do know you can learn from allegory, right?

Again, though, it isn't a choice anyone needs to make. Flying in a plane is not a risk factor for swine flu.
    No, being in close personal contact with infected swine flu carriers is. Being around someone who doesn't cover their mouths when they sneeze in a contained environment is. Like maybe...oh... in a plane? Unless you are saying that years and years of complaints of passengers getting colds from other passengers on planes is ridiculous anecdotal evidence. Unless you are saying that the millions spent to decontaminate cruise ships which had outbreaks of the Norovirus were just a silly precautions from those money-wasting philanthropists and champions of public safety known as insurance companies and corporate lawyers. Because if its not, then he's actually right but is being forced to apologize because its 'bad for business' for an industry he needs.

It would be like (to take your fictional analogy) the police cheif of Amity Beach telling everyone not to go swimming to avoid getting attacked by Bengal tigers.
    No, it would be like telling people to take reasonable common sense precautions without realizing that it affects an industry he needs to keep going. As for why this is such a terrible mistake, how dare he, on a gut level, equate human life over industry profit and market share? I mean, this isn't what the majority of Americans voted for.
    Oh wait, it Is.

And as for the NYT link (dispensing with all the crapola and nonsense that is the NY Post or The NY Daily News), the quote from the CDC is as follows:

“Elected officials must strike a delicate balance of accurately and adequately informing citizens of health concerns without unduly discouraging travel and other important economic activity.”
    Translation:

“Elected officials must strike a delicate balance of accurately and adequately informing citizens of health concerns" = Yeah, technically, Joe Biden is 100% right.

"without unduly discouraging travel and other important economic activity" = We need your money; only a fraction of a percent of you are going to die anyway.

As for anyone who disagrees, well, enjoy your flight. Me, I'm happy to let Darwin sort it out.

Registered
    May 2009

Vice President Biden is a smart man. What did he say that was wrong?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=Count Blucher]
    Quote Originally posted by "Laughing Lagomorph":32u53ofa
    I read the book. Peter Benchley says 'hi'. Yes its fiction, thats the section I checked it out of. It also has a cute nude illustration on the front. But if you can get past the illustration and read the book, you'll find its an interesting allegory. The same can be said about 'The Prince' and the works of Aristotle, and I encourage you to read them even if they don't have cute nude artwork. You do know you can learn from allegory, right?

Again, though, it isn't a choice anyone needs to make. Flying in a plane is not a risk factor for swine flu.
    No, being in close personal contact with infected swine flu carriers is. Being around someone who doesn't cover their mouths when they sneeze in a contained environment is. Like maybe...oh... in a plane? Unless you are saying that years and years of complaints of passengers getting colds from other passengers on planes is ridiculous anecdotal evidence. Unless you are saying that the millions spent to decontaminate cruise ships which had outbreaks of the Norovirus were just a silly precautions from those money-wasting philanthropists and champions of public safety known as insurance companies and corporate lawyers. Because if its not, then he's actually right but is being forced to apologize because its 'bad for business' for an industry he needs.

No, it would be like telling people to take reasonable common sense precautions without realizing that it affects an industry he needs to keep going. As for why this is such a terrible mistake, how dare he, on a gut level, equate human life over industry profit and market share? I mean, this isn't what the majority of Americans voted for.
    Oh wait, it Is.

And as for the NYT link (dispensing with all the crapola and nonsense that is the NY Post or The NY Daily News), the quote from the CDC is as follows:

“Elected officials must strike a delicate balance of accurately and adequately informing citizens of health concerns without unduly discouraging travel and other important economic activity.”
    Translation:

“Elected officials must strike a delicate balance of accurately and adequately informing citizens of health concerns" = Yeah, technically, Joe Biden is 100% right.

"without unduly discouraging travel and other important economic activity" = We need your money; only a fraction of a percent of you are going to die anyway.

As for anyone who disagrees, well, enjoy your flight. Me, I'm happy to let Darwin sort it out.[/quote:32u53ofa]

Yes, yes, I read the book too, probably before you did (I'm guessing I'm older than you). I just thought you might want to come up with an example from, oh, I don't know, real life, of someone in authority giving false reassurances and people dying as a result...it would make your argument stronger. Just trying to help.

As for all the rest it really is quite simple. People are getting swine flu, and people are flying in airplanes. But as of yet there doesn't seem to be any overlap between the two groups. Getting in a airplane in Boise and flying to Charleston is probably not going to expose you. That bus vacation in Oaxaca on the other hand? Bad idea.

Biden shot his mouth off without thinking. He needs to realize people are actually listening to him now and he should think once, or maybe even twice, and then speak.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Obama should loan him a teleprompter.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yes, yes, I read the book too, probably before you did (I'm guessing I'm older than you). I just thought you might want to come up with an example from, oh, I don't know, real life, of someone in authority giving false reassurances and people dying as a result...it would make your argument stronger.
    You mean like Christie Todd $hitman and post-9/11 NYC air quality?

Just trying to help.
    That's what she said.

As for all the rest it really is quite simple. People are getting swine flu, and people are flying in airplanes. But as of yet there doesn't seem to be any overlap between the two groups.
    Because people with Swine flu can't/don't fly in airplanes? Won't fly in airplanes? Refresh my memory as to the processes in place to keep these passengers off planes, because I seem to have forgotten them.

Getting in a airplane in Boise and flying to Charleston is probably not going to expose you. That bus vacation in Oaxaca on the other hand? Bad idea.
    Assumes no one on that Charleston flight is infected and that someone on that Oaxaca bus is. You can't be sure of that; currently no one can. Golfers can get swine flu too.

He needs to realize people are actually listening to him now and he should think once, or maybe even twice, and then speak.
    Proof positive that this administration is being held to a much higher standard than the last one...

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Count Blucher
    Because people with Swine flu can't/don't fly in airplanes? Won't fly in airplanes? Refresh my memory as to the processes in place to keep these passengers off planes, because I seem to have forgotten them.
    Here at least, the airports have installed thermography sensors to scan people waiting to board. People with fevers can be picked out of the crowd before they get on the plane. Incoming planes can also scanned before the passengers disembark. This is how an infected passenger coming in from Canada was spotted and quarantined at Narita before even getting off the plane.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

[quote=Count Blucher]
    Quote Originally posted by "Laughing Lagomorph":1jl2xs2s
    Yes, yes, I read the book too, probably before you did (I'm guessing I'm older than you). I just thought you might want to come up with an example from, oh, I don't know, real life, of someone in authority giving false reassurances and people dying as a result...it would make your argument stronger.
    You mean like Christie Todd $hitman and post-9/11 NYC air quality?[/quote:1jl2xs2s]

That would probably be better than an example from a 35 year old trashy novel.

[quote=Count Blucher]
    Just trying to help.
    That's what she said..[/quote:1jl2xs2s]

Ooooh! Good one, you got me. Oh, wait, no you didn't.

[quote=Count Blucher]
    As for all the rest it really is quite simple. People are getting swine flu, and people are flying in airplanes. But as of yet there doesn't seem to be any overlap between the two groups.
    Because people with Swine flu can't/don't fly in airplanes? Won't fly in airplanes? Refresh my memory as to the processes in place to keep these passengers off planes, because I seem to have forgotten them...[/quote:1jl2xs2s]

Of course they can fly on airplanes, and they probably are. But, and this is the key point so try to follow me closely, huge numbers of people are not getting sick as a result

[quote=Count Blucher]
    Getting in a airplane in Boise and flying to Charleston is probably not going to expose you. That bus vacation in Oaxaca on the other hand? Bad idea.
    Assumes no one on that Charleston flight is infected and that someone on that Oaxaca bus is. You can't be sure of that; currently no one can. Golfers can get swine flu too.[/quote:1jl2xs2s]

Right. I think you're getting it now. It's a good bet no one on the hypothetical Charleston flight is infected so the risk is low so Americans don't need to avoid flying per se. They might however want to exercise precautions in areas with high flu rates.

[quote=Count Blucher]
    He needs to realize people are actually listening to him now and he should think once, or maybe even twice, and then speak.
    Proof positive that this administration is being held to a much higher standard than the last one...[/quote:1jl2xs2s]

Well, Biden apparently hasn't gotten the memo.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just really hope nothing bad ever happens to Obama, because I don't think I could stand President Biden for very long.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmmmm. It says here that flu is primarily transmitted through airborn droplets.

Jetliner cabin air systems are supposed to provide 50% fresh air. They are also supposed to be HEPA filtered. But tapping off the compressor on a modern high bypass engine reduces fuel efficiency a lot more than with older types. And maintaining HEPA filter systems is expensive. Not to mention, failure of the cabin air system generally won't make the plane fall out of the sky. So there is a lot of economic pressure to spend maintenance dollars elsewhere as much as possible. Long story short, I believe that most cabin air systems have crappy filtration and are adjusted to recirc as much as they can get away with.

So blab on, Mr. Biden

Registered
    Mar 2009

[Channelling marymary]
    Obsessing about the emergency o' the week ain't healthy. Go do something about it instead. Gee I hate profit sucking pharmaco's. I voted Democrat but now this bailout bullshit is giving me a rash. I say let the pinstripe bastards burn. All they are building around here anymore is banks. This whole thing makes me feel all stabby
    [/Channelling marymary]

I like Wisconsin hippy chicks.

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rigamarole
    I just really hope nothing bad ever happens to Obama, because I don't think I could stand President Biden for very long.
    I swear that's the purpose of the modern Vice President—to be a guy no one would ever want in office, so no one kills the President.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

+ Reply to thread