+ Reply to thread

Thread: TIME: The most influential person on the planet is...

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default TIME: The most influential person on the planet is...

Christopher Poole aka moot who founded 4chan. It looks like the 4chan users didn't just rig the poll in his favour, they precision hacked the top places to spell out a message as well.

Tech Comment here

followed by a more in depth look here
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Default Re: TIME: The most influential person on the planet is...

It's a shame they have so much time on their hands. If those people put the same effort into something beneficial to society...

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Murphy
    It's a shame they have so much time on their hands. If those people put the same effort into something beneficial to society...
    I know, they could at least have finished up the job on Scientology, ya know...
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

"As for the Time 100 Poll vote, you have already guessed it: it was fixed by 4chan users. As Time acknowledges, that is sort of the point of this type of poll."
    So, no story?

J

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by The J Word
    "As for the Time 100 Poll vote, you have already guessed it: it was fixed by 4chan users. As Time acknowledges, that is sort of the point of this type of poll."
    So, no story?

J
    Does that not sound like the most pathetic excuse for having your poll so completely compromised that the top 21 choices spell out a message? All I have to say is "awesomesauce". :wink:
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Registered
    Apr 2009

I have fond memories of helping to rig Time's Person of the Millennium poll in 1999 so that Mick Foley would win (Hitler finished second, by the way). Stuff like this really isn't anything new.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What does "Marblecake also the game" mean? I know about "the game" and I assume that part is to make every reader lose it, but what does marblecake have to do with it?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Harlequin
    What does "Marblecake also the game" mean? I know about "the game" and I assume that part is to make every reader lose it, but what does marblecake have to do with it?
    Marblecake was an IRC channel where the "Message to Scientology" video originated.

It is part of the Anonymous Vs Scientology strife that is ongoing.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As Time acknowledges, that is sort of the point of this type of poll. TIME.com managing editor Josh Tyrangiel says moot is no less deserving than previous title holders like Nintendo video-game designer Shigeru Miyamoto (2007) and Korean pop star Rain (2006).

But Time does, bizarrely, fail to admit to how deeply the poll was compromised. The poll was not just hijacked, it was hacked to pieces with 4chan users creating sophisticated autovoters spread by spam to get the result they wanted. Time tried to fend off the attacks but with little ultimate success.
    Bolding mine.

So.. What was the point of even trying? Especially when you see how far they succeeded.. Would they have posted the results if they managed to spell out "Time blows donkey dick"?

+ Reply to thread