+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am I allowed to post here if I don't like the site?

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Am I allowed to post here if I don't like the site?

Quote Originally posted by bwhitman
    Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    No, they used to be marginally entertaining.

This is actually a very interesting thread. If you don't mind, bwhitman, would you mind telling us what you don't like about this site? We can learn a lot from you (not saying we'd change anything, but we can learn a lot from someone who doesn't like what we're doing).
    You really want to know? Read posts #41-48 in this thread. That's it in a nutshell.
    Just to clarify, if you don't like those posts, feel free to report them, especially as the Op. I would agree that they should be split out to another thread in Jibba Jabba.

Registered
    Mar 2009

"broke my tags, I went too far" sounds like either the beginning or the end of a blues song.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dumbo.
    What is an animated film by Walt Disney Studios?

I'm addressing your sig, new member. Welcome to Domebo.
    When my kids were small and complained about the food, my response was, "You don't have to like it, you just have to eat it."

You don't have to like Domebo, or me. The difference is that as a thinking adult, you don't have to visit. I don't understand your reasoning, but welcome anyway.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    ...as a thinking adult...
    I think you greatly overestimate him.

Registered
    Feb 2009

This is actually a very interesting thread. If you don't mind, bwhitman, would you mind telling us what you don't like about this site? We can learn a lot from you (not saying we'd change anything, but we can learn a lot from someone who doesn't like what we're doing).
    You really want to know? Read posts #41-48 in this thread. That's it in a nutshell.
    You don't like hijacks, is that it? You're the OP - tell people to knock it off. We don't have exactly the same way of doing things here as on the Dope; we're aiming for something less formal and more fun. If the fun is getting in the way of your thread, let us know.

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I've never been a fan of the almighty OP's word is law. Except in very specific factual discussions. I'm ok with staying on task there, but otherwise if the opening question is dealt with, why not let everyone have their fun? If you're having a conversation IRL and it segues onto another topic, do you yank it back to the original? No.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Just give me the damn chocolate cheesecake. All else is secondary.

XJETGIRLX

FWIW I hate that too, but fortunately there are other entertaining qualities about the board to enjoy. Poke around a bit more and you may find something interesting.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    Just to clarify, if you don't like those posts, feel free to report them, especially as the Op. I would agree that they should be split out to another thread in Jibba Jabba.
    I think this is what's wrong with the board. First, the silly idea that the OP should own the thread and have some sort of special standing in it. Second, that every little post that someone might not want to see should be split off or otherwise mangled. These both just ruin the conversational tone of threads and honestly make me decide not to post in many instances.
    Better is heart than a mighty blade
    For him who shall fiercely fight;
    The brave man well shall fight and win,
    Though dull his blade may be.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by ulfhjorr
    I think this is what's wrong with the board. First, the silly idea that the OP should own the thread and have some sort of special standing in it. Second, that every little post that someone might not want to see should be split off or otherwise mangled. These both just ruin the conversational tone of threads and honestly make me decide not to post in many instances.
    How often have you seen threads split? We rarely do it to the best of my knowledge.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah? Well I think what's wrong with this board is that it's impossible to have a conversation about anything for more than about ten posts before it gets derailed by something like that. I don't really care about this thread for obvious reasons but there are posters who have a bad habit of attempting to insert their "humor" into every thread they see. And that digression was the opposite of funny. Even if it had been funny once, that particular schtick was milked dry a long time ago indeed.

Honestly. I think the greater SDMB community is the only place where so many people would feel the need to pretend that was funny. Maybe it's just that you guys tend to value comforting familiarity over actual comedy?

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Lucifer
    Since when do we close threads the moment they've been answered? Yeah, the OP is a self-professed snarker, but he's being
    Ah, I see I'm not the only snarker here. Well played, incomplete sentence nonny.
    No, I'm not a snarker, but I do play one on TV.

Being a moderator here for a few weeks gave me a vastly different perception of message boards. I'm a proponant of allowing the dissidents a voice no matter how uncomfortable it is to hear it. One of the main reasons I stepped down as moderator was because I try to practice what I preach and it was repeatedly pointed out (by posters and moderators) that that rendered me unfit to be a mod.

So, for better or for worse, as long as you generally follow the rules (don't be a jerk, keep the invective down to a simmer outside the Thunderdome) I think you should be allowed to post whatever you want.

I should point out, however, that posting on the Domebo that you think the Domebo sucks is sort of like those dirty hippies burning the American flag - they are desecrating the symbol of the power that gives them the right to desecrate it. Yeah, I know open snarking is not the same as flag burning, but I think it's a fitting analogy.

Moving on...

The key to successful snarking of the board is to offer enough value to compensate for all the annoyance you're going to cause. Be entertaining, or offer constructive criticism, or whatever. You get the point.

Nobody likes to hear how much they suck, but if it's wrapped up with a way to improve it's a little easier to tolerate and you'll have a long and fruitful snarking career.

Or go down in flames like our friends from last monday that caused all the uproar. Either way, what bliss.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Yeah? Well I think what's wrong with this board is that it's impossible to have a conversation about anything for more than about ten posts before it gets derailed by something like that. I don't really care about this thread for obvious reasons but there are posters who have a bad habit of attempting to insert their "humor" into every thread they see. And that digression was the opposite of funny. Even if it had been funny once, that particular schtick was milked dry a long time ago indeed.

Honestly. I think the greater SDMB community is the only place where so many people would feel the need to pretend that was funny. Maybe it's just that you guys tend to value comforting familiarity over actual comedy?
    If it's actually funny and organic, then I guess it's ok. Trouble is, a lot of times the humor is neither funny [n]or is it organic. That imbecile Winston Smith that used to post here pulled that stupid stunt all the time. What a dope (glad he's gone).

Registered
    Feb 2009

<snip>
    The key to successful snarking of the board is to offer enough value to compensate for all the annoyance you're going to cause. Be entertaining, or offer constructive criticism, or whatever. You get the point.
    <snip>
    Did we decide that the line for trolling was if it made everyone's message board experience worse, then they should be penned up in Room 101? I agree with you - if they're contributing something worthwhile beyond, "You people are stupid and sucky," more power to them. If all they have to contribute is the ways that we are dumb, pen 'em up.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Maybe it's just that you guys tend to value comforting familiarity over actual comedy?
    Or maybe it's because you have a stick up your ass about anything that doesn't conform to your rigid definition of what is funny and what isn't.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

[quote=Stranger On A Train]
    Quote Originally posted by "Q.E.D.":1ivprb1a
    Why do you care?
    The more pertinent question is "Why should we care?"[/quote:1ivprb1a]
    Indeed. One is given to wonder, however, whether the OP's fetish extends beyond message boards. Does he enjoy driving cars he doesn't like? Does he enjoy dating women he doesn't like? Does he enjoy eating food he doesn't like?

If yes, then he is severly psychotic. If no, then one is forced to conclude that it is perhaps not the case that he wants to post here because he doesn't like the board. Rather, it may be that he wants to post here because he doesn't like the people at this board, and believes that he can post in a manner that will upset them — thus giving him pleasure.

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Maybe it's just that you guys tend to value comforting familiarity over actual comedy?
    Or maybe it's because you have a stick up your ass about anything that doesn't conform to your rigid definition of what is funny and what isn't.
    Sorry you weren't blessed with a sense of humor, or maybe you'd be able to tell the difference between "funny" and "repeating the same tired shtick ten times more than it would deserve even if it had been funny originally".

I get the feeling you're that guy there's always one of at every party, and in every office, everywhere, who really thinks he's the funniest guy ever. Tells his little jokes, great big smile on his face, and everyone else sort of smiles politely because they don't want to be a jerk or anything. That's you, isn't it, Silenus?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I thought it was funny.
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

MOON GIRL FIGHTS CRIME Myrnalene's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

It wasn't funny, but I can't really decide whether the hijack or the hijack about the hijack is more tiresome.
    everything in nature is sort of gross when you look at it too closely. what is an apple? basically the uterus of a tree - terrifel

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

<snip>
    <snip>
    Did we decide that the line for trolling was if it made everyone's message board experience worse, then they should be penned up in Room 101? I agree with you - if they're contributing something worthwhile beyond, "You people are stupid and sucky," more power to them. If all they have to contribute is the ways that we are dumb, pen 'em up.
    First: We? żQu'est-ce que c'est? Are you sure what's good for me is good for you? :wink:
    Next: Who determines what is worthwhile?
    Also: Many of us are stupid and sucky.
    Last: The OP hasn't said anything even remotely 101-able, and other than his initial comments (and sig line), he's behaved himself well.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    It wasn't funny, but I can't really decide whether the hijack or the hijack about the hijack is more tiresome.
    Let's discuss it, so we can have a hijack about the hijack about the hijack, shall we?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    Quote Originally posted by Myrnalene
    Let's discuss it, so we can have a hijack about the hijack about the hijack, shall we?
    I don't think the hijack about the hijack about the hijack is very appropriate, so I'm going to hijack this discussion.
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

You know what I think is funny*?

That the OP isn't snarking at all at the moment, but here you all are, trading barbs.

(and by funny, I mean not funny)

Registered
    Feb 2009

I get the feeling you're that guy there's always one of at every party, and in every office, everywhere, who really thinks he's the funniest guy ever. Tells his little jokes, great big smile on his face, and everyone else sort of smiles politely because they don't want to be a jerk or anything. That's you, isn't it, Silenus?
    Nah. I'm the guy over in the corner getting quietly drunk on the hosts booze. Or out on the patio arguing with some other annoying pedant over the relative merits of charcoal vs propane.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Nah. I'm the guy over in the corner getting quietly drunk on the hosts booze. Or out on the patio arguing with some other annoying pedant over the relative merits of charcoal vs propane.
    I bet you're the guy with a closet full of Hawaiian shirts who gets very, very excited about showing them off on casual Friday.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

(Just quoting this as one of several replies to the same comment.)

I'm not even really defending/talking about attempts at humor (lame, funny, or otherwise). Hell, if it's that bad, just mock the shit out of the people propagating it and it'll more than likely stop.

I'm talking more about those threads in which related content is squashed or tossed aside to die. This was most evident in the early days, in anything even coming close to touching upon religion. And it's not even necessarily the actual splitting, but also the bandied about threat that it could occur, or the insinuation of "This isn't what the OP wants, so it's wrong."

And to answer What Exit?, no it doesn't necessarily happen all that often. Just often enough to keep it in the back of my mind and, more often than not, make me decide it's not worth posting a reply at all.

[edit]Oops, wrong questioning username[/edit]
    Better is heart than a mighty blade
    For him who shall fiercely fight;
    The brave man well shall fight and win,
    Though dull his blade may be.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And to answer What Exit?, no it doesn't necessarily happen all that often. Just often enough to keep it in the back of my mind and, more often than not, make me decide it's not worth posting a reply at all.
    I don't know about the religion part, I believe you of course but I have neither seen that or did it. I have split threads that were trolled and I have split one or two at the members request.

I lean more towards Excalibur's view that the hijacks on this board are a bit excessive. We allow them in the T'Dome but I thought we were suppose to avoid them in the other forums, especially ADF, Q&A and The Crucible. Now the fuzzy parts are cases where hijacks are interesting enough to become a real thread in the same forum or cases where a new question rises from a subject that was answered. It gets hard to determine when a split should be made. In no cases are the goofy hijacks an offense that warrants more than a split out to Jibba Jabba. No warning would be given unless the poster was trolling and insulting.

The OP of this thread was answered, but if he had more related questions, the hijacks don't actually seem fair or appropriate to me and could be shuttled off. Of course none of this is all that important in the end. Not even on the scale of posting on a message board. So if the Op request a split of the hijack, I would have done so.

Everything I just posted is of course open to review by the members and the rest of the staff. But I think I summed it up fairly objectively.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

The OP of this thread was answered, but if he had more related questions, the hijacks don't actually seem fair or appropriate to me and could be shuttled off.
    Although the OP was in form a question, and the question was apparently answered, the OP could be interpreted as a sort of challenge. So, if I approach a police officer in the street, and ask, "Is it true that all coppers are arrogant bastards?", I can say that I've asked a question. Now, if the officer in question is feeling really mellow, he might reply, "No -- now get lost before I arrest you for something!", I might say that he's answered my question but highjacked it by saying something irrelevant. But I'd be wrong, because the question itself was intrinsically likely to cause offense.

One way of responding to a troll-like OP is to make jokes about it, as has been done in this thread. It's a way of saying, "La la la, you don't upset us, see we're laughing at you (or with you, if you care to take it that way)." So formally it's a highjack, but in reality it's a natural response to a provocative OP.

(And on a board like the SDMB a thread like this would be closed pretty fast, but without a warning issued unless it was part of a pattern of mischievous behaviour. Perhaps the board is too tolerant at times.)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Giles
    (And on a board like the SDMB a thread like this would be closed pretty fast, but without a warning issued unless it was part of a pattern of mischievous behaviour. Perhaps the board is too tolerant at times.)
    Believe me, we know we not only can't please everybody, we even get heat for when we are just being nice sometimes. Anytime, any of us want to, we can step down and in the meantime it is up to discussions like this to tell us how the moderation on this board is suppose to work. I think overall we have been asked to lean over backwards to be tolerant. We seem to be able to do this.

BTW: I far prefer an honest snarker to a deceptive troll, but that is just me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I bet you're the guy with a closet full of Hawaiian shirts who gets very, very excited about showing them off on casual Friday.
    Wrong again. I wear a Hawaiian shirt every day.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Apr 2009

One way of responding to a troll-like OP is to make jokes about it, as has been done in this thread. It's a way of saying, "La la la, you don't upset us, see we're laughing at you (or with you, if you care to take it that way)." So formally it's a highjack, but in reality it's a natural response to a provocative OP.
    So any time there's a thread or poster you don't like, its OK to drown it out with a chorus of off-topic jokes? That seems alot more like trolling than my OP.

Registered
    Feb 2009

So any time there's a thread or poster you don't like, its OK to drown it out with a chorus of off-topic jokes? That seems alot more like trolling than my OP.
    No it isn't. We aren't trying to initiate a response. We are trying to prevent it. Your OP wasn't trolling, but your signature certainly is.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Apr 2009

No it isn't. We aren't trying to initiate a response. We are trying to prevent it. Your OP wasn't trolling, but your signature certainly is.
    Why don't you leave the modding to the mods? It's not your job to spam a thread with jokes to prevent discussion you don't like or drown out OPs you deem to be trolling.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nor is it yours to decide what someone can or cannot post in response to an OP. Seems like we are both stuck.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

But what are we drowning out? You seem to have got an answer to your question, and you aren't telling us what more this thread should be talking about. And that's on top of your not wanting to be here anyway. I don't think there's any discussion to drown out.

Registered
    Apr 2009

But what are we drowning out? You seem to have got an answer to your question, and you aren't telling us what more this thread should be talking about. And that's on top of your not wanting to be here anyway. I don't think there's any discussion to drown out.
    That's not what you said, you said you were doing it because you thought the OP was trolling.
    Every post in this thread by you has focused on how my question has been answered already so the thread has no more purpose. How about you don't worry about it?

And I didn't say I didn't want to be here. I want to be able to post here when I see something worth responding to linked at the snackpit, which is why I started this thread to ask if I could. That question has been answered and now the dicsussion is more about whether its OK for people like you and silenus to flood a thread you don't like.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Of course you can post on Domebo even if you don't like the place... but don't let us catch you looking as if you are enjoying yourself, or we will all point and laugh.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Flood? Flood? Three posts is a flood now? Good to know.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I was invited to the Snark Pit once, found the users there to be more of the same "C U L8ter l337f46" boring drivel as the lions share of the internet. Were I looking for such shining brightness as thus I would spend more time cruising the IRC channels like back in the good ole dial up days.

Of course I was invited here as well and just sort of stuck around.

Both of which are odd because, as smart-assed chronic hijackers go, I have to rank right up there.

Anyway, many welcomes to bwhitman, do make yourself quite at home here, I believe you'll find the offerings in my magical troll food bag more than adequate and sometimes downright tasty.

+ Reply to thread