+ Reply to thread

Thread: The most random combination of language fluency

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

Question The most random combination of language fluency

Had this random thought: what's the most random combination of language fluency (for a native English speaker) you can cone up with? My combination:

Arabic
    Spanish
    ASL

Registered
    Sep 2009

Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, one of my American Civil War heroes, was, according to Wiki, "fluent in nine languages other than English: Greek, Latin, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Arabic, Hebrew, and Syriac."

James A. Garfield knew several languages and was also ambidextrous. He could (my favorite Garfield factoid) write simultaneously with one hand in Greek and the other in Latin.

J.R.R. Tolkien was no slouch at languages, either. He created the Middle-earth tongues of Quenya, Sindarin, Westron, the Black Speech of Mordor, etc. (some in more detail than others), in addition to the real languages he could speak or read: https://www.quora.com/How-many-langu...ow-how-to-read

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

I knew that Garfield factoid! I LOVED that! Chamberlain's combination makes sense (the European ones are related, as are the Newr East ones)

Registered
    Sep 2009

A pretty good parlor trick for a President of the United States to be able to do.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Apr 2015

You could switch Arabic for almost ANY Asian or African language

+ Reply to thread