+ Reply to thread

Thread: A question for all meat-eaters.

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default A question for all meat-eaters.

Say it was discovered that our planet had been visited by beings with a vastly superior intellect that were considering inviting us into a Galactic Federation, but only if we stopped eating meat - Would that be enough to make you give up your carnivorous ways?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: A question for all meat-eaters.

I am already veg., but I gotta ask, how much are federation dues?

Do we have to do crap like help with meeting registration because we're the new guys?

Do we get a good seat, or is seating by seniority?
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

The Apostabulous Inner Stickler's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes. I pretty much only eat meat out of habit. Eating vegetarian does not bother me.
    I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Only if they could come up with a replacement that looked and tasted the same.

Quorn just doesn't do it.

I supose I might give up meat if there were massive benefits. What kind of tech level are you assuming for this Federation?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Walker in Eternity
    Only if they could come up with a replacement that looked and tasted the same.

Quorn just doesn't do it.

I supose I might give up meat if there were massive benefits. What kind of tech level are you assuming for this Federation?
    Yeah, if they have a good car battery, say three times as good as lithium ion, I say we gotta give up the flesh.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

We stop eating other animals and they give our renewable/potentially limitless energy technology a kick start.

How long do you think it would take the planet to adapt, and what would we do to those were determined to continue eating meat?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wouldn't. Asking an inter population to adopt a different lifestyle doesn't sound like an idea from someone with 'vastly superior intellect'. I wonder what other bright ideas the civilization has.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Say it was discovered that our planet had been visited by beings with a vastly superior intellect that were considering inviting us into a Galactic Federation, but only if we stopped eating meat - Would that be enough to make you give up your carnivorous ways?
    I would be highly suspicious. What's it to them if we eat meat? Does it make us... tastier? :dub:

Speculation aside, one need not conjure aliens to coax me off of carnivory. $100,000 lump sum (after taxes), a blowjob a week for life, a winter home in Chile, peace in the Middle East... I can think of many inducements.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just want to add that Alien Crouton's username goes great with the OP.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Batman
    I wouldn't. Asking an inter population to adopt a different lifestyle doesn't sound like an idea from someone with 'vastly superior intellect'. I wonder what other bright ideas the civilization has.
    Their 'vastly superior intellect' might tell them that humans are currently very inefficient converters of the fuel/food they eat and as a result, this is seriously hindering our brain's capacity for problem solving.

Would you not be willing to try an Alien Atkins Diet to ensure your descendents would one day explore the cosmos?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No.
    Why doesn't their pulsating brain tell them that if they upload our consciousnesses(sessesses) to a virtual reality, we won't convert fuel/ at all and we would have all the processing power we need to solve problems? What do they care about how I process food to solve problems? That's why we have computers for, no?

They need to give me a valid reason to play along, like "I'll kill you if you don't." Other than that, the cuddly bunnies are still out of luck.

Libertarian Autocrat Vox Imperatoris's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I wouldn't, unless there were direct benefits to me personally from not eating meat (not from the aliens deciding to do whatever). But there aren't, so no. The very fact that they would demand it shows that their "superior intellect" doesn't stop them from being stupid.
    Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
    Return of Blümchen! (To my Avatar spot.)
    Last.fm Pandora Political Compass
    Mentes Liberae et Mercatūs Liberi

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Batman
    They need to give me a valid reason to play along, like "I'll kill you if you don't."
    You mean like stick a predator above us on the food-chain? Hmmm...that would probably increase our thinking skills too... if we survived long enough!

Vox, not demand, recommend.

XJETGIRLX

No. Haven't we learned anything from movies and television? It's obviously a trap.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Let's be realistic though... can anyone really see humans still having a microwave oven or a 'barbie' when we are eventually exploring the stars?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No. It would be more practical to take along fruits and vegetables than cattle on a spaceships. You can't really make a hydroponic pig farm.

But, if we take another step and start colonizing planets, lets say Mars, then having domestic animals would be an advantage, they would provide fertilizer, methane, and an alternate source of food and materials. Basically the same advantages they have given us for millenia.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I could be induced to give up all forms of meat for life, but you'd have to give me a good reason. Giving us technology to create vats of protein that tasted and felt like real meat without harming any animals (and was easy and cheap to produce) would be one. Giving us advanced technology in exchange would be another. Being members of the Galactic Federation having many benefits for the human race would be another. Meddling aliens just thinking that not eating meat is morally superior would not be one.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

But synthetic pigs could be grown around a core of nanopigules. The ultimate question is, would they be Kosher?
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2009

Their 'vastly superior intellect' might tell them that humans are currently very inefficient converters of the fuel/food they eat and as a result, this is seriously hindering our brain's capacity for problem solving.
    Well if they started saying something that stupid then I'd know they were not worth listening to anyway and cheerfully go back to my delicious plate of cruelty and murder.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Well, if we are what we eat, that means we will never rise above the level of part animal, part vegetable.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, if we are what we eat, that means we will never rise above the level of part animal, part vegetable.
    In this metaphor, what level should we be aspiring to? All vegetable? Have you yourself reached this level? If so, it would explain that whole WTC thread.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sure I would. The only reason I'm not all vegetarian now is that the rest of society isn't so it's too much hassle.

Registered
    Feb 2009

What else is there that we can eat? Happiness? Rocks?
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Hmmm...Just because they are of a vastly superior intellect doesn't mean that meat doesn't still taste good.

I guess I'd consider it.

Truly, it's sauces, spices and flavorings I love the most. I suppose I could live without meat.

So, no. Ultimately, I want options. Frack the intellect.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Fuck that. Our virile, robust meat-eating soldiers, airmen, and marines would make short work of those veg-head pansy-assed ETs. We'll keep eating meet and take all their cool shit.
    Better is heart than a mighty blade
    For him who shall fiercely fight;
    The brave man well shall fight and win,
    Though dull his blade may be.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by danceswithcats
    But synthetic pigs could be grown around a core of nanopigules. The ultimate question is, would they be Kosher?
    Well, bacon salt is kosher, so I guess synthetic pig would be too.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I would consider it but on two conditions:
    1 - I would need to know what alternative protein, fat and amino supplies this alien species recommends. Who knows, might be superior to meat anyway.
    2 - What is their prime motivation for not killing and eating other animals versus killing and eating plant life? Is there some sentience to animal life forms that we just don't understand? Does their motivation really justify changing an entire culture simply for the exchange of technology? Would it be wise for us as a culture to sell out ourselves for technology?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

These supposedly "intelligent" aliens would have to

a) have a damn convincing reason for omnivorous animals such as us to stop being omnivorous. (Would this restriction apply to bears, raccoons, and chimps as well?)

or

b) have a synthetic protein creation that undetectably mimics a nice rare steak.

Actually, make it both. Lets see how "intelligent" these things really are. I don't even eat meat every day, and this gets my hypothetical back up.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual
    These supposedly "intelligent" aliens would have to

a) have a damn convincing reason for omnivorous animals such as us to stop being omnivorous. (Would this restriction apply to bears, raccoons, and chimps as well?)

or

b) have a synthetic protein creation that undetectably mimics a nice rare steak.

Actually, make it both. Lets see how "intelligent" these things really are. I don't even eat meat every day, and this gets my hypothetical back up.

Yeah, good point...

Can we still eat bears, raccoons and chimps?

Registered
    Feb 2009

For what reasons? For example, for ethical reasons? What about pet food? (I have four cats-gotta feed THEM meat!)
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Registered
    Mar 2009

Can we still eat Guin's cats?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Fuck 'em. I'm not giving up BBQ and bacon for anything or anybody. Fuck them and the meatless horse-analog they rode in on.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Dangerously Unqualified
    I would consider it but on two conditions:
    1 - I would need to know what alternative protein, fat and amino supplies this alien species recommends. Who knows, might be superior to meat anyway.<snip>
    If we came up with a really good meat substitute (and I mean REALLY good, in all ways), I'd never eat meat again voluntarily. Vat of Steakloaf, anyone?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guinastasia
    For what reasons? For example, for ethical reasons?
    My first thought would be these aliens are delicious and are afraid of us. "You can join the Galactic Federation if you promise not to eat us."
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What about if we had the tech to grow meat as meat without needing the animal as a whole.

IE Grow steaks and bacon rashers or ribs whatever?

But to answer the o.p. as an enthusiatic carnivore i would turn veggie for the good of the planet if the benefits of being in the Galactic federation were that good.
    But I wouldn't enjoy it.
    Thirty minutes of Googling not only doesn't make you an expert in a subject,it doesn't even make you right.Real life experience and education will win out every single time

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yup. I'm not particularly beholden to meat.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm with the other omnivores here. What do I get if I give up eating meat? Do they have a decent substitute? Can we take them in a war?

What are their other demands? Do we have to give up milk and eggs too? Are we allowed to keep our pets? What will they demand next?

RE Vat Grown Pig

If the cells that are being cultured came from an actual pig, then it's still not kosher
    Nothing is impossible! Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Hmmmm...you'd probably be able to feed an entire village on Buffy alone.
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Are these aliens tasty?
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

One presumes so, from their fear of us.

The simple solution is to eat our alien visitors and become godlike geniuses.

Back on the OP's track:

If we get light sabers, miniskirted female ensigns, tricorders, phasers, x-wings, the force, Tardis-s, sonic screwdrivers, I'm in. Sign me up.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, if Guin's pussy is off the menu, I'm afraid I'm going to have to rescind my welcome to our new vegan overlords.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'd have two questions (that have already been asked by others in this thread):

Why do they want us to give up meat? and
    What (if any) are the benefits of joining this Galactic Federation?

If they had good enough answers to these questions, then yeah, I'd give up meat.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Do I still get to kill just for fun?

Those alien busybodies can take my schlachtplatte when they pry my cold, dead fingers from around the knife and fork.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I once read a scifi story in which an alien went about the world doing something or other that made all meat eating animals stop eating meat. The alien's name was, as I recall, Aza Kra. I think the story was by Damon Knight. I can't find the story as such, it might have been part of a collection. It was a very good story.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

"The Turtle Moves!"

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    Thanks! It is a very, very good story. I think I'll dig that book out.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

+ Reply to thread