+ Reply to thread

Thread: RIP Pontiac

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default RIP Pontiac

An ignoble end to a once great company.
    General Motors Corp. is readying plans to shed its Pontiac brand, shutter more factories and launch a bond exchange aimed at eliminating billions in debt, people familiar with the matter said Friday.

The auto maker, facing a June 1 federal deadline to dramatically restructure or go bankrupt, is preparing early next week to detail the progress it has made on the stepped-up recovery plan demanded by the Obama administration. GM is expected to announce plans to eliminate or sell its poorly performing Pontiac brand, according to several people who have been briefed on the plan.
    Too bad they couldn't build decent looking cars like they did in the 60s.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: RIP Pontiac

I can't talk about this right now.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, man. Maker of the some of the baddest cars on the road in the 60s. I actually got to drive a 65 goat tripower when it was new. The snap-your-neck power was unbelievable. And the old Bonnevilles were some elegant wheels. Well, they should have taken care of business instead of building crap for the past 20 years, I guess.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Weird; I would have thought that Pontiac was one of their more successful brands, both in terms of overall sales and profitability. Buick and Cadillac, on the other hand, are brands that have long past their day. Even the attempt to update the quality and performance of Cadillac to compete with German and Japanese luxury performance marquees is pretty weak, and would never be more than a small fraction of their overall business.

Stranger
    Some people just aren't happy unless the world is about to come to a bloody and fiery end.- Diana

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Stranger On A Train
    Weird; I would have thought that Pontiac was one of their more successful brands, both in terms of overall sales and profitability. Buick and Cadillac, on the other hand, are brands that have long past their day. Even the attempt to update the quality and performance of Cadillac to compete with German and Japanese luxury performance marquees is pretty weak, and would never be more than a small fraction of their overall business.

Stranger
    Buick, however, is the hottest selling brand in China, by a wide margin. It outsells even Chinese companies, so for GM to kill that brand, even here in the US, would to be to cut GMs earnings by a huge whack. (Buick China is so successful, they can even afford to have their own unique models, not found anywhere else in the world.)
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Dammit, that sucks--first Oldsmobile, then Pontiac. I was rather looking forward to maybe picking up one of the new GTOs in a few years, guess not. GM has been pissing me off for a good while, when I worked for them back in '01 I told a few of the brand managers and other muckety-mucks that ran around our call center that a lot of what we see now was in the offing but why listen to me--I'm just a peasant. Yeah, well, who's a fucking peasant now, you morons? Ya done fucked the dog, congrats.
    "And I hope I don't get born again, 'cuz one time was enough!" -- Mark Sandman

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

KITT will get you for this, GM. You will rue the day.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Anybody else remember the Olds Cutlass 422 and the old Buick Wildcat? Both could damn near do wheelies right out of the factory.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Orual
    What're you talking about? KITT's already made the leap to Ford.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I had a '72 Le Mans GTO that I bought from my grandfather. That 350 could get up and go!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Dammit. There goes my dream of ever owning a Firebird, I was hoping they would bring them back.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan
    Quote Originally posted by Orual
    What're you talking about? KITT's already made the leap to Ford.
    If it doesn't talk like William Daniels, it's not KITT.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chefguy
    Anybody else remember the Olds Cutlass 422 and the old Buick Wildcat? Both could damn near do wheelies right out of the factory.
    Of course. BUT they both drank gas like frat boys drink beer, and gas ain't 39.9/gallon like it was when I pumped it back then. :wink:
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by danceswithcats
    Of course. BUT they both drank gas like frat boys drink beer, and gas ain't 39.9/gallon like it was when I pumped it back then. :wink:
    We used to go down to the local GM showroom when I was a kid and they would let us sit in the muscle cars and dream. I remember popping the hood on a Cutlass and seeing those four 2-bbl carbs about gave me an organism.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Batman
    Dammit. There goes my dream of ever owning a Firebird, I was hoping they would bring them back.

I had hoped that the G8 would spawn a coupe version dubbed GTO.

Alas...
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Feb 2009

My dream car is a 1972 Hurst Olds Cutlass 442. Son of a bitch can pass anything but a gas station.

Back to the OP - That sucks. I only know like three people who are in any way shape or form brand loyal to an automobile, and those people are all loyal to Pontiac.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Buick, however, is the hottest selling brand in China, by a wide margin. It outsells even Chinese companies, so for GM to kill that brand, even here in the US, would to be to cut GMs earnings by a huge whack. (Buick China is so successful, they can even afford to have their own unique models, not found anywhere else in the world.)
    I've heard that too. Is it the standard Buick stuff they try and sell there or are they marketing a different Buick?

Saturn is on the list of possible causalities too. I've also heard that Mercury may not survive the current economic situation. Not to mention that they are speaking of the possibility that Chrysler may be filing bankruptcy papers as early as this Friday.

It's a real shame, except for Saturn, those are brands that have been around longer than roads have been paved.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Murphy
    I've heard that too. Is it the standard Buick stuff they try and sell there or are they marketing a different Buick?
    Except for the models which are unique to China, its the same models as sold in the US. I guess its sort of like 'Merkins thinking that Aussies drink Foster's, the Chinese think that we 'Merkins like Buicks.

Saturn is on the list of possible causalities too.
    Actually, Saturn will probably survive. They just won't be a GM company.
    I've also heard that Mercury may not survive the current economic situation.
    Mercury has been rumored to be a goner for about a decade now.
    Not to mention that they are speaking of the possibility that Chrysler may be filing bankruptcy papers as early as this Friday.
    And GM may not be far behind.

It's a real shame, except for Saturn, those are brands that have been around longer than roads have been paved.
    Chrysler hasn't been around quite that long (at least as Chrysler, Walter P. bought a car company and changed its name to Chrysler).

Registered
    Feb 2009

When I was in second grade, our teacher had a bright red Pontiac Firebird. (This would have been in the mid-80s) We thought it was so badass.
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just hate this. I've had Pontiacs for years and have always liked them - good reliable cars, IMHO. Never had trouble with them.
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Registered
    Feb 2009

Detroit dealer is trying to buy Pontiac.
    A Mid-Michigan car dealer is trying to give the Pontiac a new lease on life by purchasing the brand.

But General Motors Corp. is going on the record by saying the car line is not for sale.

Jim Waldron of Waldron Pontiac, Buick and GMC in Davison surprised many by making this announcement during a taping of ABC12's Newsmaker program: "I've made an offer to buy the Pontiac brand from General Motors."

Friday night, the automaker was saying, "Not so fast."

+ Reply to thread