+ Reply to thread

Thread: Breathalyzers in 1982?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Breathalyzers in 1982?

The short version: What did a portable breathalyzer machine look like in 1982?

The long version: I am a huge fan of the British show Ashes to Ashes, a spinoff of the popular Life On Mars series. Season 2 of Ashes started this past Monday night. While the show typically does a pretty good job of showing early 80s technology, there was a scene that set my "television anachronism meter" off. MILD SPOILERS FOLLOW: In short, a police officer, on a hunch, reached into a car and grabbed a portable breathalyzer machine to test a suspect. The machine was around the size of a Tom Clancy paperback. Given that the walkie-talkies they use look like they're a foot long and three inches thick, I wondered if they had such portable breathalyzer machines in the UK in 1982.

Are there any police officers (or, well, drunks) that can clear this up?

Thanks!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Breathalyzers in 1982?

I don't think that electronic ones were that small back then, but weren't there non-electronic ones from that era that were basically a small bag with a tube sticking out?
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's possible - I remember the wands arriving here very early in the 90's (92, I exhaled into one, they were not unusual by that time - and I passed). They were much smaller than a novel.

But Ashes and Life both made a point of using anachronisms (so they say) to build the sense of unreality.
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Doctor Who

Registered
    Feb 2009

The ones they had in TN at about that time were not portable units. They were mounted in the police cars and couldn't be removed.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Mar 2009

What I remember from chemistry books is that the tube-and-bag thingies used silica gel soaked with potassium dichromate, which turns green upon exposure to ethanol.

I think, in addition to the disposable versions, for more "serious" tests, they've also had larger, more precicely calibrated devices based on the same reaction. (As an in-between to the clunky and expensive car-mounted electronic detectors which, if I recall correctly, also slowly pushed onto the market around that time.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by maggenpye
    But Ashes and Life both made a point of using anachronisms (so they say) to build the sense of unreality.
    Translation: the BBC has a tight budget.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

My my, tunaman, how cynical.I thought so too. :wink:
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Doctor Who

+ Reply to thread