+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mechanics - Chrome vs Black Sockets - mix/match

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Mechanics - Chrome vs Black Sockets - mix/match

OK - I know the black oxide finish denotes sockets intended for use on impact wrenches, and chrome is all other read: hand tool of whatever kind.
    Q: Can i use an impact soket on my trusty old ratchet, or is that a no-no?
    I can see a socket beingf too weak to handle an impact wrench, but, after strengfht of mateials, isn't a socket a socket?
    Have the nice Snap-On/Mac et al folks been selling the pros a bill of goods all these years? "yea, you'll end up buying the grown-up stuff in a few years, but first, buy the shiney, pretty ones...
    Go Team Venture!

Registered
    Apr 2009

Default Re: Mechanics - Chrome vs Black Sockets - mix/match

We have few proper impact sockets; but haven't had an issue using them with hand tools. They just seem thicker than normal sockets, but not by much.

However we use a lot of "normal" sockets with the rattle gun. But our sets are "name" brands and we rarely bust out a socket. It really depends on the torque input and we use our judgement. Most times the rattle gun is brought out to speed up a job, mainly when there's lots of nuts/studs to attack. If the fastener is really tight (say wheel nuts), it's often "cracked" with a 6ft bar first, then after the blood is stemmed, unwound with the rattle gun.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It all depends upon the sockets. Some of the ones designed for impact wrenches use a larger opening for hooking them up to the impact wrench.

Using an ordinary socket with an impact wrench wouldn't necessarily do damage to the socket, unless you were dealing with a particularly stuck nut/bolt, or you overtightened it to a great degree.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've used ordinary finish sockets with the butterfly or speeder, but I'm not torquing the bejesus out of anything, either. For the big 1/2" gun, only black impact sockets. You can't hurt an impact socket by putting it on a ratchet wrench or breaker bar (unless you add a 4' piece of Schedule 80 1 1/2" pipe to the handle, but who would ever do that?). My set is a mix of Mac, Snap-On, S-K, and Craftsman, and one of the impact sets is a cheapo Harbor Freight product.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

+ Reply to thread