+ Reply to thread

Thread: Foaming Fish Tank-HELP!!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Foaming Fish Tank-HELP!!

I have a single betta fish who was living in a small 2 gallon tank with a light. Something went wrong with the hood so I decided to replace the whole tank and bought a 1.5 gal. cube with a Whisper filter and light. Got it all set up and the fish transferred, and all was well.

Or so I thought.

The filter seems to be an over-achiever; the air pump is causing it to fill the tank with bubbles. The bubbles overflow the small filter and in no time at all, the entire surface of the water is COVERED with a mass of air bubbles. I have skimmed them off several times-the poor fish can't even eat with them there-but each time they come back. If I pinch the air hose off, the bubbling stops, and the water still flows freely; I thought I had found the soloution, and put a couple clothes pins on the hose, but I guess they aren't pinching it off enough, because STILL it bubbles.

Is there anything I can do to stop the bubbling madness? I am ready to take the damned filter out...the fish lived fine without one in the other tank. The thing is, I *like* the sound of the air pump. Any suggestions?

XJETGIRLX

Default Re: Foaming Fish Tank-HELP!!

Have you recently used any kind of chemicals in the water that might change the surface tension?

Registered
    Mar 2009

No. I just set it up yesterday when I replaced the old tank. Followed all the directions, rinsed the filter cartridge, etc. The bubbling is so extreme it pushes the lid up off the top of the filter.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If the bubbles are more like suds then there's something in the water that needs to be gone. Have you added anything to the water? Conditioner, salt, algae killer, anything at all? Normal tap water shouldn't foam at all.

If it's just bubbling too damned much you can get a flow valve for the tube coming off the air pump. You can restrict the air flow from nothing to full blast. Much more reliable than a clothes pin.
    "It's Quite Cool." -Gandalf

Registered
    Mar 2009

When I change the water, I use AquaSafe water conditioner, it's what I have always used. It *looks* like sudes, but is nothing more than air bubbles,when I scoop them out and let the glass sit, they pop and I am left with just water in the glass.

I'll have to look into a flow valve, thanks!

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Something bad is in the water. Bettas will blow their own bubbles, but not to the degree your experiencing.

You need to do an accelerated water change. I might change 25% of the water daily for at least a week.

As someone about mentioned, all this water changing is hell on the fish, so if you can add some Stress Coat-type product
    it would help the fish deal with the constantly changing environment.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It sounds like you need to lessen the air flow regardless of the fact that something in the water makes bubbles that don't pop the instant they hit the surface. You may find it's easier on the pump if you get a multiple gang valve and allow some air to just exit to the atmosphere through one of the partially open valves. You'll have less back pressure on the air pump which can prolong it's usable life.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I ended up just turning the pump off; the fish seems much more active and happy now.

+ Reply to thread