Thread: Star Trek Dislikes

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Star Trek Dislikes

Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    possibly a little mentally slow.
    Well, he did pull his phaser on the viewscreen once because Q was onscreen.
    Yep, showing his Ookla The Mok level of intellect for all the universe to see.

And then, in later seasons, he became less Klingon-like in his personality, and just became a black guy with a bumpy head and a sash of merit badges.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Rube E. Tewesday
    Quote Originally posted by Excalibur
    Quote Originally posted by Batman
    -Alien Captain barks madly at Picard through the view screen
    -Troi: "I feel he's angry"
    Except the rare occasions when it would actually be useful to know the alien's state of mind.

In those cases, she can't feel anything because its brain is too different.
    Heh, I always wondered if she just hadn't faked her way into the position. " Sure I'm an empath. When I bent down to pick up that paperclip, I was sensing definite lust on your part."

"Good enough. You're hired."
    And Troi is too easily possessed by alien entities - it happens almost as often as Data malfunctions. Any sane captain would have booted their unreliable asses off the bridge after the first such incident. Just like he would have shut down the holodeck after the first time it trapped somebody inside.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I think all of mine have been mentioned: Single-cultured aliens, lack of technological continuity, Troi on the bridge, the holodeck, Wesley.

I also hate the "I am an instant expert in X" syndrome where the main crew always seems to have the answer or else it's the character who was juuuust introduced five minutes ago. (Eureka is the worst show I've ever seen for this. All these super geniuses and it always takes exactly the same people who are super experts in everything. What the hell is everyone else for? *pant pant*)

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Heh, I always wondered if she just hadn't faked her way into the position. " Sure I'm an empath. When I bent down to pick up that paperclip, I was sensing definite lust on your part."
    Ever see Team America, World Police?
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chimera
    Ever see Team America, World Police?
    Can't say that I did. Similar joke?

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Yeah, the Empath who would state the startlingly obvious, and who was clearly wrong on any number of occasions.

Then when she was called on it, she managed to pull it off.
    I am not you.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Pinoccio Effect.

Data wants to be a real little boy. Whatever lessons he learns today, will not only cause major problems (Gepetto has been swallowed by a whale!/Picard has been stranded in a shuttlecraft!) for the rest of the crew, but will be completely forgotten during the reset before the next episode.
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Doctor Who

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Voyager was the very Queen of Reset Button shows. Of course, my hate for that show has abnormally large parameters. (There's probably a technobabble solution for that.)
    I am not you.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't hate "Voyager" - beyond being annoyed by Captain Janeway and Neelix, it really grew on me, possibly because it was on re-runs at a time when I was always parked on the couch and watched most of it that way.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I liked Voyager. I suppose I thought of Voyager as the 'fun' Star Trek and Deep Space Nine as the 'serious' Star Trek. Once in a while they overstepped the 'too stupid' line ('Tuvix', 'Threshold', some of the sillier holodeck ones) but I enjoyed more episodes than I didn't.
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chimera
    Voyager was the very Queen of Reset Button shows. Of course, my hate for that show has abnormally large parameters. (There's probably a technobabble solution for that.)
    Voyager was my least faourite Trek series ever, I much prefer DS9, but my wife like the lightheartedness of Voyager.

I though Voyager would have been much better if they made Tom Paris a darker character, given his shuttle crashing past and prison sentence. Also they needed to show a degenerating ship.

Voyager got damaged badly in many episodes, but always seemed t be back to full strength by the next episode, also a BSG type crew tally would have made it more realisitic.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth - Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to thread