+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can anyone help me train a Rottweiller?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Can anyone help me train a Rottweiller?

A neighbour near my mum's has a 4 year old Rottie that has been allowed to become a rather chubby housepet, and having recently started walking her, I was looking for some advice on how to get her back in shape and a bit more disciplined.

I realise there are no short cuts to this process, but was wondering where the best place to start would be, so any help would be appreciated.
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Can anyone help me train a Rottweiller?

My best suggestion would be to watch a few episodes of The Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan. While I don't have a dog, his philosophy and approach to dogs - "I rehabilitate dogs. I train people." - makes an enormous amount of sense, and he gets good results very quickly.

He stresses that interaction with the dog should be, in order or priority, exercise, discipline, and then affection. He also teaches people how to project pack leader status so their dogs can relax into beta position.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm a big fan of TDW and Cesar Millan, and I agree with your estimation of his abilities.

Can I take it I'm going the right way then, in taking her somewhere she is able to run along beside me until she is a bit knackered, and then trying to teach her a few "Stay!" and "Come!" exercises afterwards?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Sounds good to me. It might be worth it to pick up his book. I'm sure he goes into more detail with that. I think the main challenge is consistency.

Oh, and I remember a show where Cesar took an overly energetic Rottweiler to a place that allowed the dog to herd sheep. Coolest. Thing. Ever. The dog had never seen a sheep before, but as soon as he saw the herd, he was on point, ready to go. No instruction, no training. The shepherd just pointed, and the dog ran out there and chased the sheep in the direction the shepherd wanted. He did grab one sheep by a back leg, but he was separated pretty easily, and you could tell he was having the time of his life.
    - Ogden Nash

Registered
    Feb 2009

As there is a fair walk before I reach the fields where I can allow her off her leash, at the moment Lassie is a little excitable when we are heading there and is getting very boisterous when we are coming across other dogs.

I've shortened her leash and tried to keep her attention until the other dog has passed but it isn't working too well. She doesn't lunge for them with vicious intent or anything, but I can understand how other dog owners are none too happy when a stranger's big rottie dives at their pooch.

So, any ideas?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The timing of the redirect is the hardest thing. You have to give the leash a sideways yank the very second her attention leaves you. Any later, and she's already engaged. Cesar also makes a big deal about where the collar is place - all the way up at the top of the neck, just below the head. He never uses a regular buckled collar, always a slip collar. Sometimes, he just puts a loop at the end of the leash.

And, of course, there's always the energy you're projecting while you're walking Lassie. If you start getting tense and expectant when you see another person walking a dog, she'll know something's up.
    - Ogden Nash

Registered
    Feb 2009

Right then, it's about time I revived this. First of all, I'll let you see Lassie.

I haven't got a before pic, but this is her now; does she look overweight at all?

After 5 mths walking her, I am still having problems with her pulling towards other dogs and wanting to chase cats.

The cat business involves her starting to get excited when she approaches a place where she has encountered a cat before, and if a cat moves suddenly anywhere during a walk and she sees it, she wants to go have a good look at it.

The dog business is nothing to do with me getting tense or anything, because if I see a dog before her and it is downwind, she doesn't get agitated until she knows it is there.

So, any suggestions?

Registered
    Feb 2009

BUMP!

Yes gang, I still need a tip or two on how to convince an overly-protective rotty that I don't need her assistance everytime someone she deems looks "a little bit dodgy" walks by.

My current plan is to get one of those ultrasonic whistles to get her attention whenever I see a potential distraction approaching. Anyone got any other ideas?

Registered
    Feb 2009

You might ask at the local pet store or pound if they know any good trainers who can give you tips. Good luck and good for you!
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When all you have is a bowel disruptor, everything's a poop joke.
    www.CuriouslyLydean.net - comics, cocktails, writing, and other odd things.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Whenever she starts to growl at someone or take an alert stance when she sees someone she doesn't like. Give her the command to sit ( so that she submits to you ) hold her steady and place your finger on her nose. In a calm and firm tone tell her Sit, Stay. And give her a good girl when she focuses on you. Keep control of her leash right at the collar.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

+ Reply to thread