+ Reply to thread

Thread: The wine thread

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default The wine thread

Good evening friends,

Tonight, I am drinking Coppola's Rosso, which is a blend of 48% Zinfandel, 27% Syrah and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon

I generally avoid blends, but this particular wine is a rather nice table wine considering the $9.00 (USD) price.

So, what are you drinking?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: The wine thread

Right now, bourbon. But last night we had a couple of nice bottles from Mandolina. We started with their Pinot Nero, and followed it up with a bottle of the Toccata Riserva. Both were excellent examples of an Italian-style Santa Barbara wine.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well I'd like to be drinking heavily right now before the cult of the jaundiced scallop drives me nuts, but last night I was tucking into a bottle of Terazzas Reserva Malbec '06. Went very well with some home made burgers.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We open a bottle of wine most weekends. Usually I buy Yellow Tail, on sale for $7.49 at Publix. We had a Cabernet Sauvignon with burgers Saturday night.

My husband will only drink one glass of red, though, so unless I want to drink the rest of the bottle and pass out, I end up trying to save some overnight. I use one of those vacuum pump thingees and put it in the fridge, but it's never as good the next evening.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Niersteiner Gutes Domtal is my glugging wine.
    Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill

Registered
    Feb 2009

For a great cheeseburger wine, try Gallo Hearty Burgundy. Scoff if you like, but this particular bulk-process wine is quite drinkable, especially outdoors and in less-than-pristine surroundings.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Apr 2009

My Sunday dinners this time of year usually look like this:

Hand-rolled sushi with,
    1. A dry (trocken) riesling from the Mosel (a dry Alsatian riesling works just as well)
    2. Any and every Crémant de Loire. Something about bubbly chenin blanc that rocks the raw fishy fish.

XJETGIRLX

We've been picking up a wine woot once a month, but my go-to cheap wine is always Pepperwood Grove Pinot Noir. I think it's about $8 at the grocery store, and it's surpassed the $15 Chateau St. Michelle cab sav as my favorite.

Here's a picture of our wine rack wall. This was back in February, I think it's almost full now. We keep collecting bottles from wine woot, but then we wind up just buying wine to drink at the grocery store, too.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Right now stuff from MacKenzie Vineyards in Sonoma is our big label, we've had the merlot and the cab (well maybe 5 bottles of each). They're supreme wines and still fall in the less than $20 category.

And as always there are bottles of Ravenswood and Penfolds scattered all over the house, always the cab for both. We like reds.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If you like Pinot Nior or Syrah, try the offerings of Fess Parker Winery. The wine coming out of their Ashley's Vineyard makes these wines quite special. We are members of their wine club, and have loved every bottle they've sent us.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Will do. I've never gone wrong, not once, following your suggestions. Plus then I can put on my coon skin cap and sing the Davy Crockett song and drive my girlfriend nuts. This is so win.

Yes, I have a coon skin cap.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by XJETGIRLX
    We've been picking up a wine woot once a month, but my go-to cheap wine is always Pepperwood Grove Pinot Noir. I think it's about $8 at the grocery store, and it's surpassed the $15 Chateau St. Michelle cab sav as my favorite.

Here's a picture of our wine rack wall. This was back in February, I think it's almost full now. We keep collecting bottles from wine woot, but then we wind up just buying wine to drink at the grocery store, too.
    I always look (longingly) at Wine Woot, but unfortunately, MD liquor laws are weird and they won't ship to here. So I end up buying wine at the stores. Once a month, my hubby and I go to our rental properties in WV, and always stop by an Aldi grocery store there and pick me up some wine. Today was a very difficult day, and very busy, so I ordered pineapple pizza for dinner. I opened a bottle of Winking Owl chardonnay to go with that.

I'm growing really fond of Argentinian and Chilean wines, too, for their sheer drinkability and low price tag.
    Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

We have an entire case of '91 Esporao left from our stash of Portuguese red wine. We opened a bottle the other night with some trepidation, as this wine traveled from Portugal to Africa to Alaska. Also, Portuguese reds often don't age well. It was terrific after being allowed to breath for awhile. Now we'll have to try the '88 Garrafeira. I'm also partial to Oregon reds in a big way.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

For Argentine wine you generally can't go wrong with stuff from Alamos (also known as Catena Zapata for the higher end), Luigi Bosca, Navarro, Terazzas and Norton which are all from mendoza province, the oldest wine growing region. Cabs and Malbecs are the thing, I can't say I've been too impressed with the Pinot Noir and the Syrah/shiraz, although some of the Malbec/Shiraz/Cab blends from the above are good, sometimes malbec needs its edges rounding off.
    Rutini is the big name, but charges double what they should do, its good wine but no better than the others mentioned.
    From San Juan province the higher end Graffingna (Cenetenario) are well worth a look, again the Cab/XXX blends are good for the price
    The southern bodegas such as Fin Del Mundo and NQN are all very new vinyards. They market heavily on being at the end of the world and being the most southerly vinyards. They are only at 33degress south which is probably less far south than most European vineyards are north. Wild Patagonia at the southern end of Argentina with penguins and mountains it isn't, dry scrubby dessert in the middle of Argentina it is.

Caged User
    Registered
    Feb 2011

If you wish to join a wine club it is great if you could find a promotion code online. This way you some extra dollars. Everything is now accessible online you just have to rake advantage of it.
    [URL="http :// california-wine-clubs.wineclubdirectory. net/california-wine-club-review.php"]California Wine Club Coupon[/ URL]

Registered
    Apr 2009

Usually I drink reds, but because I used a splash in the chicken piccata tonight, we had the rest of the bottle of my favorite-by-far white, Pacific Rim Dry Riesling.

+ Reply to thread