+ Reply to thread

Thread: So if I shouldn't call Geek Squad, who should I call?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default So if I shouldn't call Geek Squad, who should I call?

I'm well aware that Geek Squad has a reputation for being the next best thing to a scam - overpriced, undertrained, and generally ranging from incompetent to awful. So...who should I call?

What's wrong with my computer? Heck if I know. It's slow, it freezes a lot, it just generally seems geriatric. I need someone to come over and make it work better. But I would not, in all honesty, know if they were b.s.ing me or not. They could tell me I need a new catalyzer on the port compression coil and I'd just go, "uh...okay...."

How do I find someone reputable? Or, even better, got any recommendations for Chicagoland computer fixers?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: So if I shouldn't call Geek Squad, who should I call?

Do you have the technical ability to backup your important files, boot from the Windows CD (or the manufacturer's "recovery CD" if that's what you have), format your hard drive, reinstall Windows, install all software updates from Windows Update, reinstall the software you need, and restore your backed-up files onto your fresh new computer?

Because if so, this is a fantastic way to make your computer much faster, and it's also a fantastic way to ensure you're starting over from a clean slate with no malware. I do it a couple times a year. Doing this regularly also encourages you to be smart about where you save your files, because if you keep all the stuff you need to back up seperate from all the stuff you don't need to back up, it makes doing the backup and restore that much easier.

If you're talking about a Mac, I have no idea if the regular reinstall is a good idea or not.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The last couple of PCs I looked at that were running slower than usual had malware and adware scattered across them. Do you have the usual Ad-Aware/Spybot/ZoneAlarm freeware combo that stops most things.

Some anti-virus will also slow your PC down significantly as well. Also, have you downloaded many add-ons eg Google/Yahoo toolbar which, although useful, can eat processor and memory as well.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by McNutty
    Do you have the technical ability to backup your important files, boot from the Windows CD (or the manufacturer's "recovery CD" if that's what you have), format your hard drive, reinstall Windows, install all software updates from Windows Update, reinstall the software you need, and restore your backed-up files onto your fresh new computer?
    No. Well, maybe? I've never done all that, but I suspect if there was a gun held to my head and I could still access the internet from my son's laptop for step by step instructions I could puzzle it out with a lot of tears and panic. Not my first choice of action, though.
    Quote Originally posted by CatInASuit
    The last couple of PCs I looked at that were running slower than usual had malware and adware scattered across them. Do you have the usual Ad-Aware/Spybot/ZoneAlarm freeware combo that stops most things.

Some anti-virus will also slow your PC down significantly as well. Also, have you downloaded many add-ons eg Google/Yahoo toolbar which, although useful, can eat processor and memory as well.
    I have AVG's free anti-virus, AdAware and AdBlock Plus (I think the final one just blocks stuff I see, I don't think it's anti-adware per se, but I'm not sure.) I think my only Add-ons are to Firefox, and that's just one or two (since some of what I had as Add-ons were made standard, like longtitles and the dictionary tool.)

The husband does a lot of bittorrents, which has to be part of the problem; but even when he's not downloading anything and the computer's been restarted, it's still wonky.

I did notice the performance took a huge nosedive a while back when AVG went to the version I have now. I've turned off some of the "background" scanning stuff because it was decidedly not background. Anyone know if their newest version is any better? Or is there another, less gluttonous anti-virus software I could be using these days?
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    I have AVG's free anti-virus, AdAware and AdBlock Plus (I think the final one just blocks stuff I see, I don't think it's anti-adware per se, but I'm not sure.) I think my only Add-ons are to Firefox, and that's just one or two (since some of what I had as Add-ons were made standard, like longtitles and the dictionary tool.)

The husband does a lot of bittorrents, which has to be part of the problem; but even when he's not downloading anything and the computer's been restarted, it's still wonky.

I did notice the performance took a huge nosedive a while back when AVG went to the version I have now. I've turned off some of the "background" scanning stuff because it was decidedly not background. Anyone know if their newest version is any better? Or is there another, less gluttonous anti-virus software I could be using these days?
    Can you check to see if the torrents are seeding when the computer is on regardless of whether it is being used. How often do you update and run Ad-aware and AdBlockPlus?

AVG's latest anti-virus is about the same performance and is very noticable if you have it permanently scanning. You could always try Avast. I think they have some free AV software. At least you are not running Norton.
    In the land of the blind, the one-arm man is king.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

You are in the same spot as many of my relatives, especially my parents. If you have a geek relative or friend who can come and spend about three hours getting your computer backed up, reformatted, and reinstalled, then check through church or work. Someone usually has a friend or relative. Offer a minimum of $50 for the work, plus maybe some baked goods, and you'll have a new friend for life.

Failing that, check if there are any non-corporate, sole proprietor computer shops in your area. If they don't offer it as a service, they'll have someone they can refer you to. It will, however, cost more than $50.
    The panther is like the leopard, except it hasn't been peppered.
    If you see a panther crouch, prepare to say "ouch!".
    Better yet, if called by a panther, don't anther.
    - Ogden Nash

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by McNutty
    Just do what McNutty says, its the only good solution given the fact you don't know what you're doing and we don't care/know enough to care/know what to do. It will always work, and it'll run a lot faster as is mentioned. suck it down.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Free Mac Advice from a guy who does their tech support; If your computer is running slow, I generally put people through the following paces;

Disk Utilities;
    Verify, then Repair Permissions. If these are really messed up, it can slow your computer.
    Verify Disk. If there are catalog problems, it can slow things down.

Safe Boot (hold down shift on startup). This cleans out the system caches and a lot of minor issues along the way. Much easier than a half-dozen other steps.

Look at your startup items. If you're not using the application all the time, remove it from starting up at login. I've seen some people with nearly a dozen different apps running on startup. The last guy said he wasn't even using half of them anymore.

99% of the time, this resolves the problem. If it doesn't, then we start looking real close at the hardware.

Generic Advice: Check your DNS servers. There's a DNS redirect virus, that yes, even infects Macs, that routes your internet through servers starting with 85. These are in Russia. If you find this, remove them immediately and find some malware removal software pronto.

On a PC, defrag the drive, among other things. Been a while since I supported PCs, so I'm not up on all the latest things kids are doing to fix them these days.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by phouka
    You are in the same spot as many of my relatives, especially my parents. If you have a geek relative or friend who can come and spend about three hours getting your computer backed up, reformatted, and reinstalled, then check through church or work. Someone usually has a friend or relative. Offer a minimum of $50 for the work, plus maybe some baked goods, and you'll have a new friend for life.

Failing that, check if there are any non-corporate, sole proprietor computer shops in your area. If they don't offer it as a service, they'll have someone they can refer you to. It will, however, cost more than $50.
    Beer and pizza are the standard around these parts.

phouka is right. You know someone who has a geek friend or relative who will be more than happy to spend a few hours fixing your computer. It's in their blood, it's what they do.

In fact, for free beer and pizza, I'll be glad to take a look. (Oh, and a free ticket to Chicago...)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

A geek friend has indeed been located. Now I just have to talk him into it. Beer and pizza should do the trick. Thanks, y'all!

+ Reply to thread