+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mutts v Pedigrees: Which lives longer?

aka ivan the not-quite-as-terrible ivan astikov's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Mutts v Pedigrees: Which lives longer?

Is there any truth to the idea that on average, a mongrel dog will outlive a pedigree one?

Are mongrels any more illness resistant than their posher counterparts?

Does the same apply with cat's?

Or have the studies not been done to give a conclusive answer?
    To sleep, perchance to experience amygdalocortical activation and prefrontal deactivation.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Mutts v Pedigrees: Which lives longer?

I think part of the equation must be the illnesses/weaknesses inherent in some pure breeds. There is a particular body type that is the most healthy for dogs - anything straying from that norm is asking for trouble (pushed-in noses, long droopy ears, extremely small or large dogs, foldy skin, etc.).

I think the same is true for cats to a lesser degree, because there are fewer extreme deviations of cats.

Registered
    Apr 2009

I think mutts live longer.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm no expert, but it's my impression that different pedigree breeds have different expected life spans, owing in part to various features that have been bred for. I believe there are several breeds that have propensities for specific problems. For instance, pugs, bulldogs, and others with pushed in noses have breathing difficulties. Large breeds have hip problems. I'm guessing that dachshunds and other short-legged breeds have back problems. And since mutts may owe much of their ancestry to a trouble-prone breed, they most likely have life spans comparable to the breeds they most resemble. In other words, it all depends.

Again, this is not an expert opinion. There may be a vet or animal care tech along that can give you a much more detailed answer. But I suspect it will still come down to the same bottom line -- it all depends.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mister Peanut: Any reasoning behind that, or is it just a hunch?
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by ivan astikov
    Is there any truth to the idea that on average, a mongrel dog will outlive a pedigree one?
    To an extent, yes. Unfortunately purebreds are sometimes inbred to keep the bloodline pure; this bad breeding and not encouraged. Certain genetic disorders run in breeds; I think hip disorders are rather common in labs (or was it golden retrievers?). Not every purebred will have the problem, but the risk of it is higher. A mutt is less likely to get two of a bad recessive gene.

Here's a bit about dalmations:
    "A classic example illustrating some of the problems encountered in trait-selective breeding can be found in the history of the Dalmatian. Breeding for the sharply-defined spot trait unintentionally also led to selective breeding for an abnormal uric acid gene (case of gene linkage). The result was that the Dalmatian dog breed was dogged (no pun intended) with hereditary urine stone disease. In an attempt to rectify the problem yet retain the desired spot pattern, the Dalmatian was crossbred with various Pointer breeds. " http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dog-bree ... r-dog.html

Are mongrels any more illness resistant than their posher counterparts?
    Apparently so. If you take Wikipedia's word for it:

"Several studies have shown that mixed-breed dogs have a health advantage. A German study finds that "Mongrels require less veterinary treatment". Studies in Sweden have found that "Mongrel dogs are less prone to many diseases than the average purebred dog" and, referring to death rates, “Mongrels were consistently in the low risk category”. Another study reports that “The median age at death was 8,5 years for all mixed-breed dogs and 6,7 years for all pure breed dogs... For each weight group, the age at death of pure breed dogs was significantly less than for mixed-breed dogs”, and a study in Denmark finds that "Higher average longevity of mixedbreed dogs (grouped together)."

They cite four or five studies which look legit, but I have no access to them so I dunno.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Mutts have the advantage if you believe in hybrid vigor.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, it's kind of hard to compare, because you can buy a German Shepherd from somebody who has no business letting dogs have sex in her backyard, and it will have to be put down because its hips disintegrate, or you can do your homework and buy one from a responsible breeder who cares about the breed. I got my Westie as a freshman in high school and never thought I'd have to buy my first house with an eye towards a fenced backyard, you know? And now I have a six year old mutt and I just don't know what to expect, but I don't think I can go through losing a beloved pet again so soon so he better damned well live for a logn time! If the terrible and careless breeders were eliminated, it's possible that purebreds would outlive mutts because they'd be bred for health; unfortunately, too often that is not the case currently. I do think that the current trend is moving away from the more extreme characteristics, breeding bulldogs that can breathe and so forth.
    "I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
    -- Terry Pratchett

Registered
    Mar 2009

Pretty much what Zsofia said. Mutts may get some kind of 'hybrid vigor' (which I thought only applied to hybrid animals and not crossbred ones, but I could be wrong), or they could simply inherit the worst traits from their parents and live a short, miserable, painful life. With a mutt, it can be a coin toss. And frankly the same can be said for poorly bred purebreds.

A good dog breeder has researched the pedigree of their dog several generations back. They should know what issues are common in their lines, and should have had any dogs they use for breeding run though whatever genetic screening that breed requires. Simply taking your dog to the vet and having the vet say "yep, she's healthy!" doesn't cut it as responsible in the dog world.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It depends on the breed and how they are cared for more than anything else. My father used to have German Shepherds who lived until 16-17 years. Our purebred dalmatian lived just shy of 15 years. Whereas my cousins has a purebred Bernese Mountain Dog who only lived to 8 years since they are prone to more health issues.

+ Reply to thread