+ Reply to thread

Thread: My gas stove is screwed up and it's dinnertime- help!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default My gas stove is screwed up and it's dinnertime- help!

Yesterday a pot of boiling water hugely overflowed when I tried to dump in some pasta (it was one of those explosive reactions) and it flooded the stove. The spark thingies started going crazy and sparking nonstop, so BF unplugged the power from it while we let it dry out. It's plugged back in and now no spark at all from any of the burners. Gas aplenty, but no spark to light the burner.

Have I screwed up something?
    AKA xanthous

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: My gas stove is screwed up and it's dinnertime- help!

It sounds as though the spark ignition module was the recipient of water damage. Whether it has fully dried out or is permanently hosed will require a service call to determine.

In the interim, light your burners with a match or candle lighter-gas flow on low.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

Although the match scenario sounds scary (note my "title" ), I will attempt to use that method until somebody can check it out. I do fear I've hosed it....
    AKA xanthous

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

For heaven's sake, remember that it's busted! My pilot light blew out last night and I ran raw gas into my place for ten minutes before I realized; glad I didn't get blowed up.
    This is the most beautiful place on Earth; there are many such places.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All gas is definitely off. I promise that when I do get the cojones to test it out, I'll be careful! (meanwhile, we ordered in for dinner!)
    AKA xanthous

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by annehere
    I do fear I've hosed it....
    One good thing here (which I know from personal experience) is that the electric lighting modules aren't that expensive. Of course, we had the advantage of having a friend who knows how to replace them, so we had no labor costs, and I don't know how hard they actually are to replace yourself.

Edit: Let me rephrase that...ours weren't that expensive. I just did a search for spark ignition modules and the price range is all over the place. There are some for $20 and there are some for $200+. I have no idea what yours will cost. Sorry to get your hopes up!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by annehere
    All gas is definitely off. I promise that when I do get the cojones to test it out, I'll be careful! (meanwhile, we ordered in for dinner!)
    You really shouldn't be that worried. You can safely turn the gas back on to the stove. (I'm assuming that when you said all gas is off, you've pulled it away from the wall and closed the line valve.) So long as all the burner and the main stove controls are off, there should be zero flow. If you want to use the left front burner, strike a match and hold it a half inch from the burner, and then turn the burner valve on. The burner should light, and you can cook normally.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2009

I finally tested it (well, I watched while boyfriend tested it!) and it lit properly with a match. Repair guy's coming on Monday!
    AKA xanthous

+ Reply to thread