+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do foreign ambassadors do?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default What do foreign ambassadors do?

What is the typical day in the life of a foreign ambassador? What sort of things do they do?
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: What do foreign ambassadors do?

They play both a ceremonial and practical role. For example, the American ambassador to Indonesia might meet with a select group of businesspeople from the American chamber of commerce to learn details about why they are upset with a new regulation from the Ministry of Finance. Then, he'd meet with the Minister to talk about why the regulation should be changed. He might also give a short speech at the opening ceremony for a library funded by USAID. On Independence Day, he'll host a party for Americans, usually with important Indonesians invited as well.

I don't know what other activities consume an ambassador's time - those are just the kinds of things I see happening with our Ambassador here. Also, he's the "CEO" of the embassy, although I think the DCM (deputy chief of mission) takes most responsibility for the management. I'm sure the DCM and the ambassador frequently consult, however.

A good ambassador is an asset to foreign relations, whereas a bad one is sheer embarrassment. A few years back we had a notoriously ill-suited ambassador here - I won't give his real name, but his nickname (based on the real one) was "Ambassador Blowhard." A variety of cringe-making stories about his heavy-handed approach (arguing with and contradicting important Indonesian officials) were in circulation at the time.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

For a good book on ambassadors try reading Retief by Keith Laumer. Ok so he does satire on the ambassadors of the 70's., but he does it so well.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Actually the 4th of July parties around here are for locals only. The embassy is of the opinion they are here to influence the locals, not to make nice with the expats.

Besides they have it in January as it is too hot in July.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Paul in Qatar
    Actually the 4th of July parties around here are for locals only. The embassy is of the opinion they are here to influence the locals, not to make nice with the expats.
    Oh my Bo, our expats would do nasty stuff in their knickers if the Ambassador tried that here. One predictable phenomenon I had to deal with when I was the director of the American Chamber of Commerce was all the members who would call me to enlist my assistance in obtaining invites to the July 4th party and similar events, whenever word got around that a gala was coming up.

I could never decide what amazed me more: that people cared enough to call me up and BEG for an invitation, or that they were so clueless that they thought I had more influence than lint on who made the invitation list. Hell, one year *I* didn't even get invited to the party. Which was absolutely fine by me, as I was utterly indifferent.

Anyway, Paul in Qatar, do you know if that is strictly the current ambassador's influence, or has it always been that way there?

(Sorry for the slight thread hijack, CRSP, but it is illumination of a sort in response to the original question.)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In truth, I was speaking of the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia (and the one in Panama, when I lived there). I am too new here in Qatar to know even where the local Embassy is.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The European ambassadors (Australian too) in Japan seem to throw a lot of parties that are open to the general public. The US ambassador here doesn't seem to want anything to do with you unless you represent a major political/industrial concern or make for a good photo op.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by CairoCarol
    Quote Originally posted by Paul in Qatar
    Oh my Bo, our expats would do nasty stuff in their knickers if the Ambassador tried that here. One predictable phenomenon I had to deal with when I was the director of the American Chamber of Commerce was all the members who would call me to enlist my assistance in obtaining invites to the July 4th party and similar events, whenever word got around that a gala was coming up.

I could never decide what amazed me more: that people cared enough to call me up and BEG for an invitation, or that they were so clueless that they thought I had more influence than lint on who made the invitation list. Hell, one year *I* didn't even get invited to the party. Which was absolutely fine by me, as I was utterly indifferent.

Anyway, Paul in Qatar, do you know if that is strictly the current ambassador's influence, or has it always been that way there?

(Sorry for the slight thread hijack, CRSP, but it is illumination of a sort in response to the original question.)
    In both Mali and Uganda, the Ambassador threw one celebration for embassy employees and one for local dignitaries, expats, etc. The ambo would usually pick certain embassy staff members to attend the latter to schmooz the guests and make sure things went smoothly.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Registered
    Mar 2009

No Gods, No Masters

+ Reply to thread