+ Reply to thread

Thread: John Madden retired.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default John Madden retired.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/sport ... den&st=cse

I, for one, will miss him greatly. A lot of people think he's an idiot, but I loved his voice and the goofiness about him. He and Al Michaels were a great pair.

You'll be missed, John. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: John Madden retired.

I am glad he's retired! It was painful, for me, to listen to his chatter, "What they need to do, if they want to win the game, is score some points. The ball needs to get to the endzone", while praying that he'd clear his throat.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm with Jali.

"If you don't score more points than the other team, you're not going to win many ball games." That's a direct quote. He never added anything to any game I ever saw him call.

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I loved him early on, back in his CBS days. But his shtick got old and he seemed removed from the game as time went on. That and I hate Michaels so I would love to see him retire too. But back in the day with Pat Summerall they were the best team ever in my opinion. Summerall has been retired 8 years now. I think it was he that made Madden great as Madden did nothing for me on MNF. Even by the time Fox picked up the NFC and grabbed them as the lead announcers I was not as enthused with Madden. But in the 80s they were the best and in the 90s they weren't as good as they were and they were still the best.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Good for John. Don’t judge the guy by the last few years, he’s 73 years old. Sure he’s been slipping, but back in the day he was as fine a commentator as you could ask for. Now he can sit back and count the bajillion dollars he’s made off the video game franchise.

The real problem here is that they’re replacing him with Cris Collinsworth, the most worthless sack of turkey necks ever to smarm all over a TV set. I’d have rather seen Mike Golic get the nod up.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

He came into my gas station a few months ago, looking for directions to some golf course. He was a typical, befuddled old man, though HUMONGOUS - the definition of "larger than life."

I won't miss him, nor am I glad he's gone. I never pay much attention to the commentators.

Joe

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

John Madden : football :: Emeril Lagasse : cooking :: Dick Vitale : basketball

Once upon a time, a pro at the height of his profession (through personality and moxie as much as raw skill), then a highly paid expert bringing inside information to the masses, finally a washed up old dude rehashing the same few cathcphrases and sound bites - when he can even remember to get all the way through the sentence.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

+ Reply to thread