+ Reply to thread

Thread: When did military operation names start becoming propaganda tools?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default When did military operation names start becoming propaganda tools?

Some of the current names for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan appear to be made to bolster a certain political viewpoint, rather than be used as cryptic codewords for a certain campaign or operation. For instance, the current American campaign in Afghanistan is codenamed Operation Enduring Freedom. Contrast this with the WW2 names for operations like Operation Market Garden and Overlord. When did this start (this probably doesn't have a factual question, as it is debatable whether certain codenames are selected for their propaganda value---if it turns into a debate, please move it, mods).

The earliest I can find is "Operation Just Cause", for the invasion of Panama in 1989. Is there an earlier one?
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur
    D'une langueur Monotone

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: When did military operation names start becoming propaganda tools?

Operation Urgent Fury was in 1983 (the invasion of Grenada).

Some more data.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

They've always been propaganda tools. Churchill use to change operation names all the time because they didn't meet the requisite martial spirit. I assume if Churchill had wanted the people home to have some other impression he'd of named them that. I think on the American side most operations were named by whatever senior commander come up with the operation name as Roosevelt didn't really get as into military operations as Churchill did. Really when you read the history those two are kinda kooks. It's quite humbling.

Anyway, I would assume today operation names are still chosen by the ranking commander coming up with the operation and then changed willy nilly by everybody above that officer.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

To some extent all operations are named for some kind of propaganda and chest-thumping machismo. When was the last time you heard of Operation Limp-Wristed Flailing? Or Operation Darling Chemise?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Fish
    To some extent all operations are named for some kind of propaganda and chest-thumping machismo. When was the last time you heard of Operation Limp-Wristed Flailing? Or Operation Darling Chemise?
    Got an operation to blow up some tanks? Might I recommend Operation Panzyschreck?
    Something tells me we haven't seen the last of foreshadowing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Based on this list of military operations since WWI, the trend in the US began in Vietnam and picked up in the 80s. A lot of the military operations of Iraq since 2002 seem to have names designed to either be descriptive (Operation Soccer Ball: deliver soccer balls to Iraqi kids) or boost morale one way or another (Operation Iron Fury, Operation Slim Shady).

Registered
    Mar 2009

Since the media started covering military operations. No mater what the media says about an operation the government gets its $.02 in with the name.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

As you state, these are just the US names for the operations. Op Herrick and Telic don't work quite so well as propaganda tools, but they don't sound so silly.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Operation Iraqi Freedom was originally going to be called Operation Iraqi Liberation.

But then someone noticed that the acronym for it would be a little close to the truth for comfort.

<Baaa-zzzing!>
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: When did military operation names start becoming propaganda

[modhat:2z5jdl8f]Obviously with a topic like this there&#39;s a fine line, but as this is QA please try and keep to facts (alternatively, I could move this to Capitol Hill).[/modhat:2z5jdl8f]
    I didn't make the world this way, it was like this when I got here

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

Apologies, Flame. Couldn't resist. I don't actually have an axe to grind.
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The military has also changed them for "cultural senstivity" reasons. Either the start of the Afghan or Iraq war was going to be called "Operation Infinite Justice" but was changed when muslim groups complained. Personally, I think that you really can't get any cooler than "Overlord," and that the names used in recent years have been stupid sounding.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Keep in mind that OEF, OIF and these operations are not "codenames" in the sense that they're secret names of classified operations like "Overlord" was. These are the names of the large scale, public campaigns in those areas of operation.
    Operation Enduring Freedom is not the current name of the operation in Afgahnistan. It is the name for the operation there. Period. Within that are smaller, shorter operations--some of which are classified and have less descriptive, less motivationally inspiring monikers.
    In Iraq, it's Operation Iraqi Freedom, but every week there's tons of suboperations going on with various units and task forces within theatre.

For instance, one I was involved in was called Operation Iron Harvest which itself was part of an even larger operation, "Operation Phantom Phoenix". You can google it. That name couldn't be considered propaganda or political. But the larger picture, the one that all the public will hear about? I think it makes sense to give it a good, positive sounding name. Even if it is bullshit.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

But why "Phantom Phoenix" and "Iron Harvest"?

I've always assumed that the lettering of the words was some kind of code. For example: Phantom Phoenix has two words with Ph, and maybe the Ph means something to commanders, sort of a quick way of telling them what the operation involves.

Does that have anything to do with it, or am I way off?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

As the World's Leading Authority on this subject (really), I concur with hatesfreedom. I was in on the planning of the invasion of Panama. Our command had to deal with bad letters. Our operations had to start with a S- P- or B-Word and the second word was limited to a few letters.

We had:
    PURPLE STORM
    PRAYER BOOK
    BLAST FURNACE
    BLAZING TRAILS
    SAND FLEA

and drafted the plan for Panama as BLUE SPOON. We had used all the cool names. President Bush (the real one) objected and it became JUST CAUSE.

But there is a Churchill quote about the need for names that would reflect martial virtues. Nobody's son should die in operation BUNNYHUG. Please see the forward of my book for the complete quote.

But it is wrong to say URGENT FURY was a public-relations stunt. It was (is?) the standard plan for capturing Caribbean islands. DESERT SHIELD was also a long-standing secret name (until it was released to the press). We all thought the first invasion of Iraq would be DESERT SWORD, but got DESERT STORM instead.
    Just assume that everything I say is sarcastic.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Paul in Qatar
    But it is wrong to say URGENT FURY was a public-relations stunt. It was (is?) the standard plan for capturing Caribbean islands.
    What do you mean by this? If another Caribbean island had to be captured, would it be some other strongly Urgent emotion? Or would it be Urgent Fury 2 (Electric Boogaloo?)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

No URGENT FURY was the contingency plan for minor islands. So an invasion of Aruba would have been URGENT FURY. The plan has since been renamed, as the old moniker now has a historical meaning. Major islands have specific names; the Dominican Republic was POWER PLANT, but that plan has also since been renamed.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Oh, I meant to mention that while the US has a 'system" for codewords, there are so many exceptions by clever junior staff officers as to make a discussion of it very arcane.

PHANTOM is a first word much favored by III Corps, The "Phantom Corps."
    IVY is used by the US 4th Infantry Division, a play on Roman numeral IV and their unit badge.
    other such silliness applies.

+ Reply to thread