+ Reply to thread

Thread: How are British newspapers as a group doing financially?

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default How are British newspapers as a group doing financially?

One of the major trends in the US in recent years has been financial troubles at many of the major daily newspapers. Several formerly healthy newspapers have either morphed into online only versions (like the Seattle Post-Intelligencer) or have gone out of existence entirely (Rocky Mountain News).

Several other huge names including the San Francisco Chronicle, Chicago Sun Times, Boston Globe and New York Times are apparently hemorraging money, caught between declining circulation because of the explosion of online news choices (including free versions of these same papers), declining income from classified ads (due to competition with such entities as Craigslist) and the inability to make enough money from their online editions.

I know the British newspaper industry has signficant differences but I also know there are similarities...for instance most of the big dailies I'm familiar with have free online editions too. Yet I haven't heard anything about any British papers being in financial trouble.

So are they? If not, why not?

Oliphaunt The Original An Gadaí's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: How are British newspapers as a group doing financially?

From reading the UK Guardian's Media section regularly it seems that British newspapers are dying out too, especially the quality papers. However, their declines seem to be more gradual. British tabloids still have huge circulations but I would imagine that this is partly because the average reader of these papers might be less computer-savvy or work in an environment where access to computers is scant.

+ Reply to thread