+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Random cooking tips

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Random cooking tips

Always put vanilla in a chocolate pudding, cake or icing.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by krisolov
    toss a few grains of uncooked rice in your salt shaker. They absorb the moisture and keep your salt from clumping together.
    This is true, but not for the reasons you stated. The rice doesn't "absorb moisture", but it does keep it from clumping by breaking up said clumps. (Cite: Alton Brown)

I frequently use Cluricaun's basic method for cooking whitefish like Mahi Mahi and Grouper: put the fish on a large piece of foil, add salt and pepper, add some rings of raw onion, add capers (if you have some), and add a couple of pats of butter. Begin sealing up the pouch, leaving a little space open so that you can pour in 1/4 cup of white wine. Seal completely, and cook in a 375F oven for around 14-18 minutes. OMG - YUM!

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Could not find a bacon thread, so put this here:

You know bacon is delicious, but did you know it contains enough energy to melt metal?

http://www.popsci.com/bacon
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by vison
    Also in pancakes.
    I am not a professional chef, but I dress like one at home.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Chefguy
    Quote Originally posted by vison
    Also in pancakes.
    Also in sweet potato casserole.

Do NOT add marshmallows to sweet potato casserole.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Registered
    Apr 2009

Don't leave whatever cooking and go do your own thing thinking your wife or SO will take care of it. My husband is very good at this.

Otherwise, freshly ground pepper and well seasoned cast iron. It is all I use.
    Boldly going nowhere.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

If you need to cut bread rounds for, say, French onion soup, use an empty tin can. It'll cut through multiple layers of bread at once, and they'll be perfectly round. I got this from Alton Brown, and it saved an excellent French onion soup.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is an oldie, but some folks may not know about it: to easily remove the skin from garlic, first cut off the hard end of a clove, then place the flat of a chef's knife on the garlic clove and smack it good with the heel of your hand. This will crush the clove, releasing enzymes, and cause the skin to come off easily. Makes it easier to mince, also.

To get the smell of garlic or onion off your hands, rub them on the kitchen sink faucet. Yes, it works.

To prevent watery scrambled eggs, don't cook above medium heat. Patience, grasshopper.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

More on eggs:

If you must add liquid to scrambled eggs, use a small bit of 1/2&1/2. We're talking a teaspoon for 3 eggs. More than that ruins them. Mix scrambled eggs lightly. No froth is needed. Cook slowly and add a bit of cream cheese at the end.

On the other hand, cold water is the liquid of choice for omelettes: about a tablespoon for a 3-egg omelette.

For omelettes or scramble, heat the eggs up by immersing them in hot tap water for about five minutes prior to breaking into a bowl. The end product will be fluffier for it.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Cook slowly and add a bit of cream cheese at the end.
    How much? Does it add cheesiness or just some more creaminess?
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by BiblioCat
    Cook slowly and add a bit of cream cheese at the end.
    How much? Does it add cheesiness or just some more creaminess?
    I usually put in a pretty good dollop and rapidly chop it up with the spatula to spread it around, but it's a matter of personal taste. Too much will overwhelm the eggs, of course. It adds a wonderful creaminess to the eggs and complements the flavor.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

This is an oldie, but some folks may not know about it: to easily remove the skin from garlic, first cut off the hard end of a clove, then place the flat of a chef's knife on the garlic clove and smack it good with the heel of your hand. This will crush the clove, releasing enzymes, and cause the skin to come off easily. Makes it easier to mince, also.

To get the smell of garlic or onion off your hands, rub them on the kitchen sink faucet. Yes, it works.
    Ahem. Post #38:
    Quote Originally posted by WhyNot
    Don't mince or press garlic - just peel it and then smash it with a fist on the side of a wide French blade or cleaver placed parallel to the cutting board over the garlic. It will completely annihilate itself with no effort at all. (You can easily peel it with just a light whack with the side of a blade - the papery skin will crack and often fall right off.)

. . .

After fondling your garlic, use your stainless steel sink or a stainless steel pan to wipe your hands on. Rub the stainless steel vigorously for a few seconds, and then wash with soap and water as normal. The stainless steel does something magical to the stinky sulfur compounds and takes away the garlic odor. Works for onions, too.

Let's see, my random cooking tips. . .

Add a pinch or two of ground turmeric to the water when you cook white rice. It doesn't actually add much, if any, flavor, but turns the rice a gorgeous golden color, which can really punch up an otherwise boring-looking dish.

Add a pinch of confectioner's sugar to your homemade oil and vinegar dressing. It cuts the sourness of the vinegar without really making the dressing sweet. Making an emulsion by adding your favorite mustard and mixing well is really yummy, too.

Toss some mint leaves in with the chopped lettuce in your salad for a deliciously refreshing treat.
    AKA Shayna from SD

I put the DU in DUMBO. Dangerously Unqualified's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Make a flour and butter roux, add beef broth while stirring to make a savory gravy.

But.

Once the gravy has cooked down a bit add some strong black coffee for a little zing.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

When you make banana bread, add a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg. It's subtle, but just enough to make the absence noticeable.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Don't forget to add a little salt to all desserts. Just a pinch makes a great contrast to the sweet.
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jali
    Don't forget to add a little salt to all desserts. Just a pinch makes a great contrast to the sweet.
    Yeah, sprinkle just a bit of kosher salt on chocolate chip cookies prior to baking.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I make my poached eggs poached in milk, then pour the scalded milk over the toast with eggs on top. Dee-licious.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by NAF1138
    Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    Sweet vermouth can make jarred pasta sauce taste like home made secret recipe wonder sauce. It can make home made secret recipe wonder sauce taste like heaven.
    Also, the key to great home made secret recipie wonder sauce is (after you have added wine)...cinnamon. Try adding just a dash the next time you are putting together a meat sauce, it is fantastic.

And if you are making a lasagna add a little bit of nutmeg to your ricotta cheese mixture. It makes the flavors of the whole dish pop.
    Similarly, add a pinch of dried cloves to tomato-based sauces. Something about the clove-tomato combination works very, very well.
    Why won't those stupid idiots let me join their crappy club for jerks?

+ Reply to thread