+ Reply to thread

Thread: The best games you've never finished.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default The best games you've never finished.

Mine are:

Doom II: Never finished it. The farthest I got was the part were the Cyberdemon is wandering the map outside some tower-like structures.

Civilization 3 (I've never played any other one of the civ games): I just got bored with the whole thing at the modern age and just quit or started a new one.

I've also never maxed levels on a out a character in any MMORPG and I never got to buy that pretty mansion in The Sims.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: The best games you've never finished.

Okami: I keep meaning to get back to it--it's a wonderful game. I just got busy.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey: Got stuck in a part where you have to sneak. Frustrating, because I WANT to finish it, but it's sat there for years now.

Zoo Tycoon: Er.. if there is an end to this, I haven't got to it.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    Mar 2009

As a huge fan of the Xenosaga series (hence my location), I've never been able to bring myself to beat the final boss in the third installment. The game's been sitting on the final save point for years, and I just don't want the series to end, dammit.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The original Gabriel Knight. I loved what I had seen of the game, but I got stuck somewhere (don't really remember where) and somehow never got around to finishing it.

Then there is always Dwarf Fortress, but considering that both today and tomorrow are public holidays and I am severely bored I will try to forget about that at once.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Half-Life 1. About 80% through, I got tired of all the precision-jump puzzles and started cheating through it. I'm glad I did, because it was just more lame jump puzzles after that. It was such a good game up to that point, it's really a shame.

Registered
    Apr 2009

To my shame::hanging head:: I have never finished Zelda, TOOT. I will not follow a walk through - I want to beat it and I expect I'll be the only old broad in the nursing home throwing controllers around the room.

Forgot to log out of this. I'm jali.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I often get bored with games before finishing. I never finished GTA : San Andreas, even though I loved it - I got stuck on the plane-flying section and flung the controller at the wall in disgust. I'm pretty sure I finished all the Crash Bandicoot games, but never with even close to 100%. I played WoW for about 4 years, and never had a level 60 character. Well, not until they increased the level cap to 70...

Joe

Queen of the Metrolink
    Registered
    Mar 2009
    A wretched hive of scum and villainy, So Cal

Landstalker, an old RPG for Genesis.

I still have the game and a Genesis tucked away in storage; maybe I'll finish it this summer.

Also Okami, but that is because my nephew is borrowing it.
    I'm pro-choice and I shoot back.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Twilight Zone- an old interactive fiction game for the PC.

Battletoads- a very fun but insanely difficult NES game.
    Nothing is impossible! Not if you can imagine it. That's what being a scientist is all about!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Pathways Into Darkness was a fantastically creepy precursor to Doom. I steadily ground my way through until I came to a series of rooms, each of which was filled with dozens of the monsters I'd been battling before, starting from the most basic and ending (presumably) with a room full of the hardest. No resting spots, and the monsters respawn (something they didn't do anywhere else). The furthest I got was dying on the threshold of the third room, and I had to concede defeat.
    No cage, thank you. I'm a human being.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Legend of Zelda - the Ocarina of Time. I loved that game and I think it's one of the finest ever made. I started over several times, but for some reason I always quit playing somewhere in the middle of the final dungeon (or castle or whatever). I guess I just didn't want it to end - I don't even know how the storyline ends.
    *goes looking for N64*
    Aenigma sui temporis, ignota nativitas, occulta mors.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Kaspar Hauser
    Legend of Zelda - the Ocarina of Time. I loved that game and I think it's one of the finest ever made. I started over several times, but for some reason I always quit playing somewhere in the middle of the final dungeon (or castle or whatever). I guess I just didn't want it to end - I don't even know how the storyline ends.
    *goes looking for N64*
    Oh! I totally forgot about that! I got to the Water Palace, but ended up quitting there. I know they say you can't permanently mess up any of the puzzles, but I'm pretty sure I did with the Water Palace. Plus, constantly switching boots was such a complete pain.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Baldur's Gate: I've played it atleast half a dozen times, but never got around to finish it. My last attempt was the best one so far, according to the walkthrough I'm reading now I almost got to Sarevok. But I stopped playing for some reason I can't remember. I finished BG2 though.

Planescape Torment: The setting was just too weird for me at the time, I preferred high fantasy (and the Fallouts) back then. I hope Gog releases this game so I can play it again.

Morrowind/Oblivion: Whenever I install this I'll play for a couple dozen hours doing sidequests, get bored with it and forget about it for months and then start over with a new character.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I really loved Deus Ex. I can't remember why I never finished it - I think I was just burned out as I had been playing it so much, but I got to the very last level and gave up.

I will beat FFXII one day, I just got frustrated at a certain point because I was apparently underlevelled. Oddly enough, I got a good 2/3 of the way through the game before I looked at some strategy guides, and realized that I have been seriously underlevelled throughout the game. Some fights were challenging, but nothing seemed impossible for my characters even though they have been 7-10 levels under the recomended level for most of the game.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Bolt van der Huge
    Baldur's Gate: I've played it atleast half a dozen times, but never got around to finish it. My last attempt was the best one so far, according to the walkthrough I'm reading now I almost got to Sarevok. But I stopped playing for some reason I can't remember. I finished BG2 though.

[...]

Morrowind/Oblivion: Whenever I install this I'll play for a couple dozen hours doing sidequests, get bored with it and forget about it for months and then start over with a new character.
    Baldur's Gate: I'm betting it was the big maze right before the end, because that's what stopped me. About a year ago I was replaying old games again, and said screw it, and cheated my way through the maze. (Used a "reveal whole screen" cheat and a "deposit characters where you put the pointer" cheat found at GameFAQs.com.)

Morrowind: I could only play it for maybe 15 minutes at a crack, and then motion sickness would force me to stop. (I think it was the bobbing up-and-down motion of walking that did it.)

Another contribution: Jade Empire. I played it on a laptop that was so barely within the minimum specs to play the game that it made a minigame impossible to win due to video lag and even caused a bug in how a certain event would trigger due to character movement issues. (The Bioware dev I corresponded with was stunned.) I got to the point right before the Really Big End Battle and said screw it, this next part would surely be unplayable due to the crummy laptop, and quit. I've been toying with the idea of retrying it; the laptop I'm using these days is well-past the "recommended" specs for that game and it would be much smoother and prettier. Even though I kept the old saved games, I'd probably have to restart because I missed out on some nice stuff by losing that minigame.

Registered
    Apr 2009

Quote Originally posted by Ferret Herder

Baldur's Gate: I'm betting it was the big maze right before the end, because that's what stopped me. About a year ago I was replaying old games again, and said screw it, and cheated my way through the maze. (Used a "reveal whole screen" cheat and a "deposit characters where you put the pointer" cheat found at GameFAQs.com.)
    Actually I think it was just before that, in the Thieves Guild but before the "Thief warrens", which I assume is the maze you're talking about. Ofcourse, if I had continued playing the game, there would have been a good chance that I stopped playing during the maze, I hate that kind of stuff in games.

Registered
    Mar 2009

It bothers me when I don't complete games, sometimes even if I don't much like them. I played Wizardry Gold up until almost the final battle, and then gave up in disgust and erased my saves. I later played it all the way through again just to get it out of my head. I've learned to stop playing games that outright suck, though, so there's only a few that I think are good games that I didn't finish.

Battle for Westnoth - a great game for being open-source and free, but I stopped once I realized I'd already played Allied/Panzer General to death, and the aspects of it I didn't like seemed magnified in BfW. Can't really 'not finish' but I didn't finish the campaign I was in, despite being only about 4 battles from the end.

Heroes of Might & Magic 3 - I was for some reason really looking forward to this game, but the magic died for me quite quickly, I'm not sure why. Luckily I found Disciples II, and while I haven't yet finished all the expansion packs in the Gold version, I'm getting close to it.

A few games I never finished when they were new, but then ran into problems trying to get them to work on newer hardware:
    Sanitarium (crashes right around the same time when you're the girl and finally enter the house. I actually had completely forgotten about that crash recently and played it up to that point again.), XCOM(UFO) (bug that ruins your game if you build a base without following a certain pattern - technically I could start a new game but that bug bothers me too much), Half-life (somewhere less than halfway into it, when you're supposed to press a button, maybe to open a big door or something and there's a bug where nothing happens. From what I read nobody could get past that if their game was like that. While it was good, I didn't feel into it enough to start all over from the beginning.)

I still haven't finished Space Rangers 2, and it runs fine. I keep meaning to, but the machine it's installed on is tucked away somewhere. It occurs to me that without the annoying DRM, I might have finished it by now.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Angband/ZAngband/TOMB et al, ADoM, Dungeon Crawl, etc.: A bunch of roguelike/dungeon games which I never finished, mainly because they're damn hard. One death, game over (with some caveats). Old-school fun but, again, damn hard. Kids don't know how easy they have it these days. You have an incredibly promising game and then you get dead because you ate the wrong corpse or ran out of teleport scrolls or whatever. Then you have to start over again from scratch. Save files? Only cheaters use those. (I'd include NetHack but--yay--I once did beat a NetHack game.)

Oblivion. I might go back to it now. For some reason I haven't played it since we hooked the XBox 360 up to the HDTV nine months ago. It should look awesome, but, like Bolt I'll probably get suckered into all the side quests.

Rock Band 2. Will I ever finish Painkiller or Battery on Expert guitar? Probably not. I'm still trying but I'm already going to add this game into the "never finished" category.

The Bard's Tale. I'd finish it but I can't find a computer to run it on. I stopped playing after I figured out how to hack the save files. It just didn't seem fun any more.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Gettysburg, by Avalon Hill. I've probably started 25-30 games, never finished it once. The ending was always a foregone conclusion by the end of Day 2. Pickett's Charge just doesn't have the same doomed romanticism when the rebels already hold Little Round Top and Culp's Hill.
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Another Morrowind here. I just like plundering dungeons, Dwemer buildings and Daedric shrines and stumbling over stuff. The quests are annoying after a certain point and so I just get bored after a while and rampage around the countryside. But even that gets boring. How many priceless weapons can you amass that you can’t sell to anyone because they don’t have the money before your house starts looking like a fire sale? Plus I keep accepting every damned quest I come across and forget what I started out to accomplish.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

+ Reply to thread