+ Reply to thread

Thread: D-Town! (Do People Do This Where You Live?)

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default D-Town! (Do People Do This Where You Live?)

Or is it a New Mexico thing? When referring to a town, people (those born after 1980, it seems) from my hometown say they're from G-Town. That'd be great, if there weren't two towns that start with G relatively close to each other, and several more in New Mexico. C-Town, P-ville... it drives me crazy! Do people do this in your area?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: D-Town! (Do People Do This Where You Live?)

The only one I can think of is in reference to our closest neighbor, which is referred to as Spoon-Town. All the rest are known by their proper names or, occasionally, insulting and potentially obscene nicknames because of sports rivalries.

I used to have a friend from Sacramento who once told me of hearing some clueless celebrity on the radio who was in town declare, "Sac-Town is tight!"
    So now they are just dirt-covered English people in fur pelts with credit cards.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yup. A-town, Hotlanta and The Big Peach are all common.
    Over in Birmingham I've heard it called B-ham.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Caerie
    ...insulting and potentially obscene nicknames...
    Ahh, yes, I almost forgot about those. Albu-queer-que, Santa Gay, etc. Those piss me off, too.

For whom nothing is written. Oliveloaf's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Chicago is pretty much Chicago.

No one here actually calls it Chi-Town, except newbies desperate to sound local.
    "I won't kill for money, and I won't marry for it. Other than that, I'm open to just about anything."

-Jim Rockford

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yep. Some call it B-town. More often it's "Bako," though.
    "There are no ordinary people. ... It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit." C.S. Lewis

Registered
    Mar 2009

I've heard the next town over get refered to as W-town (Williamstown), but only very rarely. On the other side of the state, Provincetown gets called P-town. So in Mass it appears this only happens with towns that actually end in -town.
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Prehistoric Bitchslapper Sarahfeena's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Oliveloaf
    Chicago is pretty much Chicago.

No one here actually calls it Chi-Town, except newbies desperate to sound local.
    Yeah, that never really has caught on as a nickname. You hear it in the media, mostly.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Taumpy Tearrs
    I've heard the next town over get refered to as W-town (Williamstown), but only very rarely. On the other side of the state, Provincetown gets called P-town. So in Mass it appears this only happens with towns that actually end in -town.
    I can't think of any ?-town places around Boston, Somervillie is occasionally referred to as Slumerville, despite that ceasing to be an accurate description over the past 20ish years.

Yes, I'm a cat. What's it to you? Muffin's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Northwestern Ontario 48°17'42.8"N,89°23'21.2"W

Never heard of it, other than my own town of TBay.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Diana
    I can't think of any ?-town places around Boston, Somervillie is occasionally referred to as Slumerville, despite that ceasing to be an accurate description over the past 20ish years.
    That's true, and now that I'm thinking of it, Lawrence is also called "Lawtown".
    Taumpy: Oh noes, you aren't a super powerful wave of destruction.
    Panther Squad: It's true! My scythe does not shorn the biomonsters in great swaths like it ought!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Some places have it. Not the (insert letter here)-town variation though.
    We have Bad News, VA (pronounced Vaah just as if you were saying the initials as a word.) Beach, and V-Dub are the only ones that come to mind. Most of the other towns don't get noticed really.

Of those, V-Dub is my favorite one. But it's more of a college slang that I've heard it used. That and it stands for Williamsburg. (The 'Burg, W-burg, The Place Fun goes to Die, etc....) V-Dub though... Genius!
    "Dude, your statistical average, which was already in the toilet, just took a plunge into the Earth's mantle." ~ iampunha

Registered
    Mar 2009

A lot of people refer to my town as 'D-town', or, if they're feeling alliterative 'Dirrrty D-town'.

Those people are idiots.

troubleagain

There's a little neighborhood near me called K-ville, but that's because the full name is unpronounceable.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

There's a local borough called Elizabethtown, which most people call E-town. I can't think of anywhere else here that has a similar nickname.
    There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches. -- Ray Bradbury's "Coda"

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I've heard some people say B-more about Baltimore.
    I'm not good at the advice. Can I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe it's a northern New Mexico thing (I'm assuming you're from Grants or Gallup). I spent most of my life in southern New Mexico and haven't heard this. Annoying shorthand for Albuquerque, yes (like AlbuQ or Querque), but G-town, no.

I've heard a handful of people refer to Las Cruces as simply "LC," but the only time it annoyed me was not long ago when I heard someone call it "The LC." I guess a subtle enough difference, but for some reason it bothered me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

"The ATL" is what many say. Most are newbies, like me, or rappers. Brooklyn by some, "The BK".

I say "New York", meaning the 5 boroughs of the city.
    Most folks from other places say "New York City".
    They weren't singing....they were just honking.
    Glee 2009

I've had better days, but I don't care! hatesfreedom's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I live in the burg and we're close to the district

XJETGIRLX

Yes, I live in T-Town, home of T-Pain (it's what the 'T' stands for).

Stegodon
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Sami
    Maybe it's a northern New Mexico thing (I'm assuming you're from Grants or Gallup). I spent most of my life in southern New Mexico and haven't heard this. Annoying shorthand for Albuquerque, yes (like AlbuQ or Querque), but G-town, no.

I've heard a handful of people refer to Las Cruces as simply "LC," but the only time it annoyed me was not long ago when I heard someone call it "The LC." I guess a subtle enough difference, but for some reason it bothered me.
    Yep, Grants. How long have you been gone? Maybe it's new. I hear P-ville to refer to Portales, C-town referring to Carlsbad, and D-town for Deming.

AlbuQ bugs me, if only because it sounds too much like Abiquiu, but I don't don't mind Querque, and am known to use (and actually prefer) Burque. We also call Los Alamos "LA" or "the Hill". When we refer to Santa Fe as "Santa", we'll say it with a strong northern New Mexican accent, because it's funny; often times even adding an "aye" to the end of it or an "eee bro" before it. Same with "Spaņia" for Espaņola. It's hard not to make fun of the northern New Mexican accent, because it's just so... funny!

Registered
    Mar 2009

I moved 4 years ago, so yeah maybe it's new. But there's always been such a big difference between the northern and southern parts of the state, almost as if they're 2 different states. I was raised in Silver City, my parents still live there, and I spent 14 years in Cruces, so I've driven through D-Town thousands of times. I may just start calling it that for kicks. I like the sound of Santa Aye as well. :smile:

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

In the Boston area we used to say P-town for Providence, RI, but I haven't lived there for over 20 years, and Diane, who lives there now, doesn't mention it, so maybe all I'm doing is dating myself. (But hey, somebody has to.)

+ Reply to thread