+ Reply to thread

Thread: What might help ease this nausea?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default What might help ease this nausea?

I accept all responsibility for 'medical advice' given, yadda yadda.

I'm on hydrocodone for post-surgical pain. It is, however, giving me violent nausea. If I eat anything, it comes back up. I have been on a babyfood diet since the surgery yesterday, and even that proves too harsh to stay down.

Are there any remedies for nausea related to hydrocodone that I haven't tried? I've exhausted stuff like pepto, crackers, ginger ale / ginger tea / ginger candy, taking the meds with milk or bread. I can't call anyone for an anti-nausea med until Monday, so until then I'm trying to figure something out. Vomiting with stitches in your mouth is really low on the list of fun ways to pass the time.

I'm not allergic to it, and I know this is a really common side effect, I'm just hoping to find something to combat it at least temporarily.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: What might help ease this nausea?

No anti-vomiting tips (I was told apple when I was pregnant - sprayed half digested apple chunks all over the place), I just wanted to say keep aware of dehydration. It would be worth a trip to the clinic/ER if you can't get other medical help and can't keep any food or liquids down over 24 hours.

If it's just solids, stay on a liquid diet till Monday.
    There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes. - Doctor Who

Registered
    Mar 2009

If you can procure some cola syrup at a drugstore (you might try an independent or old-fashioned type of drugstore), you might give it a try. I've found it's what works best for my own nausea. Plus, it's delicious. Of course, you can just drink cola, but the syrup is all concentrated and warm and unfizzy. I think that makes it a bit better for nausea - the cold and carbonation might reduce the effectiveness.
    And then the girl behind the counter
    she asks me how I feel today
    I feel like Lovecraft in Brooklyn

Registered
    Feb 2009

Accupressure wristbands have been shown to be effective in scientific tests.
    Cancer patients who wore acupressure wristbands had much less nausea while receiving radiation treatment, making the bands a safe, low-cost addition to anti-nausea medication, according to a study published in the Journal of Pain and Symptom Management by University of Rochester Medical Center researchers.
    If you can't find one of the bands, you could probably find the pressure points on the intarwebs and use your fingers to press on them.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Nausea is commonly listed among the ailments that marijuana can ease, if you so happen to live in a place where it is legal for such a use.
    I do not bite my thumb at you, but I bite my thumb.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I don't have much except a word of encouragement - anesthetic makes me very nauseated, so you might still be feeling the aftereffects of the surgery combined with the medication. It might die down to manageable levels in a short while.

If you can't get in to see a doctor, try your pharmacist. They can probably find you something for the nausea over the counter that won't react badly with the meds (gravol or something). Positive side effect of gravol - it knocks you right out, so you can sleep through the worst of your pain.

+ Reply to thread