+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally Baseball is here! 2009 Edition, (April thread)

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Finally Baseball is here! 2009 Edition, (April thread)

This is it, today starts the season.

I like my Yankees, the starters look great and the bullpen looks great. The hitters will be good until A-Rod returns and then maybe great. The problem is Boston and Tampa both look good. I think these might well be the three best teams in the AL.

I don't have a good feel for the AL Central, there is something about the Twins I like but it is hard to quantify.

West: The Angels look like even with some pitching injuries they will run away with the West.

The Yanks have one advantage, they will get the best mid-season acquisition this year. It will be A-Rod getting back to them.

NL:
    East: Mets have holes that Sheffield does not fill. I still think the Phillies have the edge. Atlanta looks ready to contend at least and the Marlins are my pick for the team that could surprise. I think the Mets will finish second though. I just don't trust their starters.

Central: Cubs and only the Cubs.

West: I'm picking Manny & the Dodgers and giving 'Zona the outside shot.

The two Eastern divisions look like they'll be very exciting and the AL Central can go almost anyway.

Jim

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Re: Finally Baseball is here! 2009 Edition, (April thread)

ohmygawdohmygawdohmygawd...

29.5 hours never seemed so long...

I'll get back to you on divisions and whatnot when my heart calms down.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm worried about Cleveland's rotation and it really looks like Travis Hafner is not going to return to form.

I was really looking forward to the start of the season, but now I'm a bit depressed about it. I hope that goes away.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Blue Jays will probably go about 83-79. The thing is, they need to get lucky and win this year or next, because the outlook beyond 2010 looks terrible.

But, tomorrow is Opening Day. To me it's the third most important date of the year after my little girl's birthday and Christmas. I'm so excited!

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Dodgers are completely upside down this season. We have hitting, but no pitching. Joe is going to have his work cut out for him this year.

The infield is solid, we are too well stocked on outfielders, and management is serious about fielding a good team. So now we start looking for pitching. Maybe around May 1st, when the Royals and Nationals have been eliminated, some pitching might come up for trade. Until then, it's going to be rough.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

The first out has been recorded. Go baseball!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Braves rookie Jordan Schafer hits a home run in his first major league at bat on Opening Day. Awesome.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Julie
    I'm worried about Cleveland's rotation and it really looks like Travis Hafner is not going to return to form.

I was really looking forward to the start of the season, but now I'm a bit depressed about it. I hope that goes away.
    All Cleveland's rotation has to do is avoid epic meltdowns: the line-up is more solid than it was last year, and we were 7th in offense then. I'd agree with you that Pronk hasn't looked great in the pre-season, but it's hard to tell. He's 6th in the order, and if he can even put up mediocre numbers (for him), we'll post runs that no one in the league, with perhaps the exception of Boston, can match.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

What Exit? I saw your lament about too few MLB/NFL fans here so I thought I would post.
    Yankees fan living in Boston here, I like this Yankees team better than any in the last few years but they still feel a little old to me. Red Sox Nation is worried though which is great but the Rays worry me more.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Laughing Lagomorph
    What Exit? I saw your lament about too few MLB/NFL fans here so I thought I would post.
    Yankees fan living in Boston here, I like this Yankees team better than any in the last few years but they still feel a little old to me. Red Sox Nation is worried though which is great but the Rays worry me more.
    Cool. I’m glad you posted and I am glad to hear Red Sox fans are nervous.

I am looking forward to today's game. We are old but I am loving the mix of youth.

The rotation looks great and the bullpen is much better than people realize. Watch out for Phil Coke and the killer slider he picked up. He is better than Marte. If Bruney stays healthy his stuff is great, a top setup man. The Yanks have two lefties for a change in Coke & Marte. It is good to see. The 3 kids are all very good and there is depth on the farm including to good long guys they decided to leave behind as Veras, Albaladejo and Ramirez are that good. Tomko pitched great and lost out to the three kids. It is a good sign and he is in AAA for emergencies. We have Hughes, Aceves, Kennedy and even a few others to help out in case of injury. Hughes looked very good in spring.

The Starters give me a lot of hope and the schedule looks soft while A-Rod is expected to be out. Ransom is good defensively and we have to see how he hits. I like the kid Gardner, he coveres a huge amount of ground and steals at will. He will help Nady and Damon out. Teixeira made us younger at First and Nady in RF so at least we're younger there and the Rotation. The bench looks good with Melky, Swisher and the kid Ramiro Pena who has a great glove.

I'm pretty hopeful, but I saw this team look amazingly good in Spring Training, especially after a slow start. If Damon or Matsui falter, (my biggest age fears) Swisher or Melky could steal their jobs.

I am also pleased with possible mid-season help from the likes of prospect Austin Jackson in the OF, prospects Francisco Cervelli and Montero at Catcher and also veteran Cash. We sent Berroa down and so have some insurance for infielder help. Juan Miranda is a good looking 1st baseman and Shelley Duncan swings a scary bat even though his glove work is not very good.

I look at A-Rod as the biggest mid-season acquisition a team can get.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jim, you'll be amused to note that I got warned off an Indians' forum because I said that I still liked CC. Apparently, that makes me a YANKEE LOVER!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Jim, you'll be amused to note that I got warned off an Indians' forum because I said that I still liked CC. Apparently, that makes me a YANKEE LOVER!
    Come to the Dark Side Julie, besides I understand we have cookies.

I am still loyal to Lou Pinella and I never stopped rooting for Al Lieter when he left the Yanks and several others, so I understand completely.

Registered
    Feb 2009

You understand, I still want the Yanks to lose every game other than the occasional CC start, right?

Registered
    Feb 2009

You understand, I still want the Yanks to lose every game other than the occasional CC start, right?

Yep, that is the only downside to being a Yankees fan.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?

Yep, that is the only downside to being a Yankees fan.
    Well, as I reminded the moderator of that board, my rooting doesn't have the power to change reality. So, fear not, little buckaroo. Y'all will probably stomp us into dust.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I pretended to be a Yankees fan for one season just to annoy dread pirate jimbo. I even knew a handful of the players on the team. I think he must love me very much.

Fucking Yankees!

Registered
    Feb 2009

I'm hoping the Yankees have a spectacular mid-season melt-down. Like, new Yankee Stadium catches fire during their batting practice and the entire team have their faces melted off and they're forced to play the rest of the season with their AAA roster. That'd be sweet!

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Cubbies will find yet another way to choke in the post season. Their's is one streak I hope I never see broken.

I'd also like to see Ichiro win another batting title. He is a flat-out stud. I love that guy and want to bear his children. Hopefully the ulcer heals up quickly and he can get back out there.
    Hell is other people.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I just can't seem to muster up as much hatred for the Yankees as I used to years ago. I guess it's just part of getting older; I only have enough venom left these days to hate the Dodgers...

I've just purchased tickets for Thursday afternoon's Giants-Brewers game, and we'll be kicking off baseball season tomorrow night with a 'pre-season scrimmage' game between the Sacramento RiverCats and the Stockton Ports (ya gotta love Minor League Baseball!).

Play Ball!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    <snip>. I even knew a handful of the players on the team.<snip>
    Wait a second, that doesn't sound right. I *learned the names* of a handful of players.

Registered
    Feb 2009

The Rancho Cucamonga Quakes are the local minor league team we root for around here. You have to love being able to sit right behind home plate, within easy yelling distance of the ump, with waitress service to your seats and good food/beer for $12/seat.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like baseball - have been going to college games for the past month

But I've never really been a follower of the MLB, I keep vague track of how the Rangers are doing, and love listening on the radio, but I don't really seek it out.

Really do need to make it out to the Ballpark soon.

Registered
    Feb 2009

15 minutes to first pitch in Baltimore. Go Yanks!

Boston has the first rainout of the young season. Tampa is the visitor.
    Kansas City @ Chi. White Sox also Postponed.

Mets are up 2-1 in the 7th at Cincy.
    Texas is up by a touchdown over Cleveland in the 6th.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by silenus
    The Rancho Cucamonga Quakes are the local minor league team we root for around here. You have to love being able to sit right behind home plate, within easy yelling distance of the ump, with waitress service to your seats and good food/beer for $12/seat.
    We would LOVE that. We're baseball fans in a hockey town, though.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I think Cliff Lee gave up more runs in four innings than he did in all of April last year.

Blech.

Registered
    Feb 2009

And the Jays blew away the Tigers in the season opener. I've got a happy kid!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's great, isn't it?

Our game tonight got rained out It actually stopped raining about 2-3 hours ago, but since this was an exhibition game and not going to count in the standings, I guess they figured they were better off not having the players out there on a wet field. We purchased a 20-seat ticket pack (you get vouchers for 20 tickets, and can redeem them for any available seats for whatever games you want to see), so we're going to see about getting tickets for one of the games this weekend.

And on the Major League front, it's been a mixed bag so far...the Giants are 1-0, but the Dodgers are 1-0...go Padres!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    We would LOVE that. We're baseball fans in a hockey town, though.
    I miss the Calgary Cannons. Back when we had our AAA franchise I got to see tons of great ball and a whole mess of future superstars back before they were anybody. The Cannons were home to all the Mariners prospects, like Danny Tartabull, Edgar Martinez, Omar Vizquel, Harold Reynolds, and Alex Rodriguez. And, of course, we saw plenty of other future stars with other teams: Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire and Jose Canseco before all the 'roids, Wally Joyner, Devon White, Walt Weiss, etc... Great fun and cheap like borscht!
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I note with some curiosity that the Blue Jays play every from from Opening Day (April 6) to April 20, when they finally get a day off.

Is it just me or is that not really strange? Isn't it generally the case that teams take a day off the first week?

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by RickJay
    I note with some curiosity that the Blue Jays play every from from Opening Day (April 6) to April 20, when they finally get a day off.

Is it just me or is that not really strange? Isn't it generally the case that teams take a day off the first week?
    That is very odd. I though every team got a day off the first week.

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't read the whole thread so don't know if anyone commented on the World Baseball Classic. The final game was what baseball should always be and Ichiro showed once again why he is teh god.

My boys play Little League and we are just underway. The 12 year old is a good little ball player and 12 is the age of the Big Little League dream, that of playing in Williamsport. Ain't happenin' this year, not in our league. My 14 year old plays Junior, and he is one hell of a ball player. He's a pitcher and an all around good player otherwise. But there is no one in our area who can pitch like he does, he's a natural. It's not that I think he's going to the MLB, don't get me wrong!!! I am not delusional!!! But right now he's brilliant, and it is a great deal of fun to watch him mow the poor batters down. Our league is holding the Canadian national championships in that division this year. We are going to see some good ball. 14 year old boys play good ball. They are reckless and athletic and amazingly good when they are good.

We don't have big league ball here in BC. And we live too far from town to see the AAA team play very often. But the local big boys' teams are good and there is nothing nicer than watching baseball on a nice summer evening. I am a Mariners fan. Because of Ichiro, mostly.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

Cool. I’m glad you posted and I am glad to hear Red Sox fans are nervous.
    Red Sox fans are always nervous. We're still worried that we're going to blow the '04 Series.

Registered
    Feb 2009

0-2 with two bad starts. Rejoice Yankee Haters.

Registered
    Feb 2009

0-2 with two bad starts. Rejoice Yankee Haters.
    Ditto for the Indians.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I was just made aware of this story from a thread on the Giraffe boards:

Nick Adenhart, a 22 year old pitcher for the Angels who pitched 6 shutout innings last night was killed after the game in a collision with a hit and run driver:

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-nick- ... 2563.story

Registered
    Feb 2009

That's awful.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Somebody take a screen shot of today's standings. Seattle, Toronto and San Diego are all leading their divisions! Even so early in the season, it is surely a Sign of the Apocralypse.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Ditto for the Indians.
    Got one.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I.
    Ditto for the Indians.
    Got one.
    And Hafner looks GOOD.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Orlando Hudson becomes the first Dodger to hit for the cycle at Dodger Stadium, as we shellac the miserable and never-to-be-sufficiently-cursed Giants.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wang has looked terrible in two straight outings and yet looked good all spring. The Yanks are losing horribly to Tampa.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Wang has looked terrible in two straight outings and yet looked good all spring. The Yanks are losing horribly to Tampa.
    Well, I'll keep you company down here in the basement. Sawx are about to go to 2-5 (unless they rally against Oakland).

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by fachverwirrt
    Well, I'll keep you company down here in the basement. Sawx are about to go to 2-5 (unless they rally against Oakland).
    Well it is good company at least, but we are talking about the two teams that I predicted would finish 1st and 2nd in the league.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    More serious note. The Bird passed away yesterday. I think all baseball fans flipping through and seeing Sportscenter last night probably recognized the pictures of him in his rookie season instantly. I have rarely thought about him in the last two decades but once upon a time he was the most amazing shooting star I had seen. Rest in Peace Mark Fidrych.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... l/?eref=T1

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

The Mets are, apparently, adopting the daring strategy of not catching fly balls. Apparently they figure, they generally did catch fly balls in 2007 and 2008, and they blew the division those years, so...

Also, Dan Murphy is over-rated. There, I said it.

On the other hand, the bullpen looks good and the team will win, so despite the slow start I have some optimism. Atlanta worries me more and more; that's a lot of talent they have on that team, and it could easily all gel this season.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Ha-ha! You guys lost to San Diego!

Wait.......

"The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Boozahol Squid, P.I.

All Cleveland's rotation has to do is avoid epic meltdowns:
    Yeah, that's all they have to do.

Registered
    Feb 2009

If the season were to end right now, my Padres would be in the playoffs. Woo Hoo!

Somehow, I doubt that will still be the situation come September...
    Hell is other people.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by dread pirate jimbo
    If the season were to end right now, my Padres would be in the playoffs. Woo Hoo!

Somehow, I doubt that will still be the situation come September...
    Or May, for that matter.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Feb 2009

mlb.com has free streaming video of Wakefield's attempt at a no-hitter.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Dodgers are finally leading the NLWest. Let's see how long we can stay there.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Registered
    Mar 2009

Cleveland's season may turn out to be (yet another) serious disappointment. But at least we ruined New York's opener.

I came in about halfway through the game, just as they were pulling Sabathia, while the game was still 1-1. Pitch count for CC got too high? If the New York bullpen performs like that regularly, I've no idea how they plan on competing against Boston and Tampa.

+ Reply to thread