+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cleaning The Glass From Hell

Registered
    Mar 2009

Default Cleaning The Glass From Hell

Am buyingf a house (Sacto CA). Instead of a back yard, it has an old pool/spa. This may or may not explain the prescence of the crud on the sliding door.
    There are 2 sliders (family room, master bedroom) - only one side of the family room door is affected.
    This looks like shower door crud, but:
    Magic erasers don't work. Bathroom cleaners don't work. Straigfht phosphoric acid (sold to prep aluminum for coatings) removed most, but the outline of the streaks remain.
    Before I take a hammer to it, any other ideas?
    Yes, I know about citric acid and vinegar and CLR and sulphuric acid. Each will be tried in turn.
    But: WHY is this so tough? How does this form on an exterior pane to begin with? Is there something about the proximty to the pool which could explain it?
    Go Team Venture!

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Cleaning The Glass From Hell

Sounds like something etched the glass; one possibility is that dissolved chlorine in higher concentrations than normal form a very weak hydrochloric acid and over sufficient time pool spray could result in etching. Other than mechanical polishing, I can't think of any way to fix it. Probably be cheaper to just replace it.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Is it double pane glass? Insulated glass will fog over time. Are you sure tjat it's not between the panes?
    Welcome to Mellophant.

We started with nothing and we still have most of it left.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Glazer
    Is it double pane glass? Insulated glass will fog over time. Are you sure that it's not between the panes?
    Yes, these are 1980's vintage HEAVY natural aluminum, double pane - the crud is definately on the outside. FWIW, some previous owner was a security freak - all the doors and windows are barred - I suspect having to unlock the bars to clean the glass may explain the build-up, but why one side of one door? There is one small patch which I did manage to clean - by rubbingf my thumb back and forth over it. Not going to do that on the entire door, thank you very much...
    Go Team Venture!

Registered
    Mar 2009

It may be residue from a film tint. Since you where able to clean a small part by rubbing, try using a razor blade. Do not use a razor blade dry. Spray some glass cleaner on a small area and scrape off in only one direction. Scraping thr blade back and forth will scratch the glass.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It may be residue from a film tint. Since you where able to clean a small part by rubbing, try using a razor blade. Do not use a razor blade dry. Spray some glass cleaner on a small area and scrape off in only one direction. Scraping thr blade back and forth will scratch the glass.
    May I ask if your username is coincidental (in which case, it's a lovely juxtaposition of thread subject and username) or if you do actually work with glass?

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jayjay
    May I ask if your username is coincidental (in which case, it's a lovely juxtaposition of thread subject and username) or if you do actually work with glass?
    Yes you may. I am a glazier by trade. I've been in the trade for 12 years, and am currently an estimator for Binswanger Glass here in Atlanta.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by jayjay
    Yes you may. I am a glazier by trade. I've been in the trade for 12 years, and am currently an estimator for Binswanger Glass here in Atlanta.
    Thank you.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Sine we have a pro on board - I really hope I never need to know this but:
    File under "How dey dood that?"
    I saw a fellow polishing a very large and thick display window (some creep had left vulgar scratchings). What did he use to "sand" away scratches on glass? I can't imagine a rubbing compund that could take down glass.
    Will try the razor blade tomorrow...
    Go Team Venture!

Registered
    Mar 2009

So much for:
    Razor
    Vinegar
    Steel wool

If I were to load up the 3x21 sander, what grit? Also have a rotary buffer (buried somewhere) - aggain which gfrit, and would either machine be preferrable for this application.

Oh - my bad - both sides of the family room door are nearly opaque - the bedroom door is within normal rangfe of crud.

Thanks again!
    Go Team Venture!

Registered
    Mar 2009

Yes you can polish out scratches in glass. You use a very fine polishing compound made from rare earths and a polishing machine. I don't usualy recomend doing this for two reasons. First it is labor intensive is usualy cheaper to replace the glass. And second you have to take down the surface of the glass deaper than the scratches, this causes a lensing effect that often looks worse than the scratches. About the omly time this is economical is for very fine scratches on expensive heavy glass.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

I would not use the belt sandes on the surface of rhe glass. If you have a heavy felt pad for your rotary buffer then use polishing compound (finest available) and water.
    Welcome to Mellophant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Finest grit I've ever used is 2000 - that was emory. I used to be somewhat familar with Meguiars products - any "yo, stupid - buy this!" directions greatly appreciated.
    Go Team Venture!

Stegodon
    Registered
    Apr 2009

I've used jeweller's maroon on nicks and scratches on car windscreens before. As Glazer says, this is really only practical and worthwhile if it's a heavy, expensive piece of glass that would be a pain to replace.
    Anything is possible if you use enough lubricant.

+ Reply to thread