+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Impressions of SDMB after a month's banning

Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Impressions of SDMB after a month's banning

Well, my banning from the Dope is over today. For a month, I haven't been able to see the boards. I know, I could have deleted my cookies and lurked, but I prefer not to if I'm unable to post. Also, I wanted to spend my posting resources helping domebo get off the ground (inasmuch as my inanities could do so).

And, I was curious about what a month away would do to my perspective on the Dope. I'm going to take a look at SDMB and see whether I can see any changes.

(Mods: I'm not planning a lot of cursing or ranting, but my impression is that the 'Dome is the forum for any threads about the Dope. If I'm mistaken, please feel free to move the thread.)

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Default Re: Impressions of SDMB after a month's banning

I'm interested to hear what you think.

I also reported this to see if it should be moved to Beyond the Thunderdome. No biggie.

ETA: Oh, wait. Beyond is gone. Uh...never mind!
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

my god, he's full of stars... OneCentStamp's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't spent any real time on the SDMB in a month or two...what'd you do to get time-out?
    "You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because I'm on nitrous."

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've read the Dope exactly four times since the opening of the Dome. Yawn.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    I'm about the same. My last post on the Dope consists of one word: "me." It's in response to Sapo asking, dubiously, if any of the Domers had actually stopped posting to the SDMB.

find me at Goodreads

Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo What Exit?'s avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    Quote Originally posted by Cluricaun
    I'm about the same. My last post on the Dope consists of one word: "me." It's in response to Sapo asking, dubiously, if any of the Domers had actually stopped posting to the SDMB.
    Mine is a scale thing. I have dropped from an average of 16 per day to about 3 per day. Most of those are confined to the game threads I am running. I saw an interesting thread today where the first response was lissener being lissener and so I closed it, it isn't worth it. I was reading ATMB for a bit but I stopped that too. The Pit lost me before I left I came over here. The only thing I am missing is the sports threads. We need to lure more sports fans to Domebo. (I don't mean from the Dope, I mean in general.)

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by What Exit?
    The only thing I am missing is the sports threads. We need to lure more sports fans to Domebo. (I don't mean from the Dope, I mean in general.)
    Totally agreed. I'm all over the football and MMA threads whenever they've popped up here, but there has basically been one of each so far.

C'mon guys, stop fulfilling the nerd stereotypes! :mrgreen:

find me at Goodreads

Registered
    Feb 2009

Just let baseball season get into full swing and I'll be all over it.
    Hell, if I didn't do things just because they made me feel a bit ridiculous, I wouldn't have much of a social life. - Santo Rugger.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by OneCentStamp
    I haven't spent any real time on the SDMB in a month or two...what'd you do to get time-out?
    Bein' a jackass, by arguing with a mod who was also (perhaps congenitally) a jackass. (SkipMagic, if I recall. A day later, in an e-mail, he claimed not to know whom I meant by "CRSP".)

Well, the Dope looks about the same. I posted in a couple of threads. There are some posters still there that I'm really glad have not migrated over here; two in particular who seem to be crazy people, one of whom is also so willfully ignorant and dishonest in arguments that I don't know why he wasn't banned years ago.

Still a five-minute wait between searches. I'm sure they'll crack that problem any year now.

I'll probably check in there occasionally, but I'm not going to refrain from posting anything that I would have posted a year ago, so I'll probably be banned permanently, sooner or later.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Like What Exit? (of course) I've still been around there, but only a fraction of the time and posts I used to. Which, honestly, may be a breath of fresh air around there - more people can get in what I was going to say. I'm not sullenly withholding or anything, I'm just not finding as many interesting threads which I have something to say about. That predates the latest bru and ha, actually.

But kanicbird is up to absolutely brilliant levels of kookiness these days, I must say. Something about Obama being a tool of heavenly demons* - because he can't produce a "Birth Certificate" from Hawai'i, only a "Certificate of Live Birth".

Normally I understand about half of what he says, and I even agree with about a quarter of it, although I don't think I'd say so publicly (oh. Uh...) but these past few days he's been loony even in the eyes of this loony-bird.

*No, I don't know what heavenly demons are, either. Except that if you're an atheist, you worship them, from another thread about the many gods Christians believe exist but don't worship.

ETA: Oh, and I posted one post which was definitely against the new rules. Didn't get warned for it, although I told a poster "Fuck you". Twice. Gfactor did come in to shake his finger at me (and Guin, who also did it), but specifically said it wasn't a warning. I'm also not planning on changing how I post - especially considering that was probably the second or third post ever I said "fuck you" in. Sometimes, a fuck you really is the only appropriate response. (While I later apologized for the words, it wasn't because of rule breaking, but because I calmed down and redirected the words at the post, not the poster.)
    Whatever became of the moment when one first knew about death? There must have been one. A moment. In childhood. When it first occurred to you that you don't go on forever. Must have been shattering. Stamped into one's memory. And yet, I can't remember it.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

IIRC my last post there was in one of the ATMB threads, though I can't remember what it was. I've logged in a couple of times to check for PMs, but I haven't read so much as a thread title over there, let alone clicked one open to read the contents.
    AKA Shayna from SD

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    Well, my banning from the Dope is over today. For a month, I haven't been able to see the boards. I know, I could have deleted my cookies and lurked, but I prefer not to if I'm unable to post. Also, I wanted to spend my posting resources helping domebo get off the ground (inasmuch as my inanities could do so).

And, I was curious about what a month away would do to my perspective on the Dope. I'm going to take a look at SDMB and see whether I can see any changes.

(Mods: I'm not planning a lot of cursing or ranting, but my impression is that the 'Dome is the forum for any threads about the Dope. If I'm mistaken, please feel free to move the thread.)
    Thank you for your efforts to help us establish out new message board. You are truely a selfless man.

Registered
    Mar 2009

All right, I have two perpectives:

I was suspended once over there a bit over a year ago for acting like a jackass (admittedly). And the month away gave me a lot of nice cool down, and I was treated very well via email with the mods and admids there. So that cut down a lot of the 'behind closed doors' animosity shit that led me to act like a jackass.... Though I guess I have continued on a lighter scale. Even to the point of being told I am on my last strike.

My second one has been this new board, and to a lesser but equally enjoyable scale Giraffe's. Instead of getting frustrated by a lot of stuff I've enjoyed just coming here more and more. So I have slowed my posting down to about three posts since this board started, but it's much healthier.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by beebs
    Though I guess I have continued on a lighter scale. Even to the point of being told I am on my last strike.
    That will happen when you call Ed a cunt

Sophmoric Existentialist
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Have not been back there since this place opened.

I never had any "issues" with the place at all, but all the cool kids were here, ya see.
    Sophmoric Existentialist

Registered
    Feb 2009

I still post there, mainly because I still have friends who do-who haven't come here or to Giraffe's board-and simply because some of the wackos are just too damned entertaining. Let's face it-we're not big enough for the Kanicbird types yet.
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's been a while since I even opened the site. There's really nothing there for me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

I've gone over there in response to threads being bumped, or if I needed info that was in a thread and I figured I could find it fairly quickly via the "search" function. I haven't posted a thing since whatever ATMB thread it was that I got bitched at for use of the word "jerks." Ed can go fuck himself for all I care. He'll not get another post from me (not that he gives a shit, of course), and once folks stop bumping the threads I've participated in, I doubt if I'll ever be back, save for the occassional search.
    Proud member of the '09 Phanters! K.I.L.L. S.M.U.R.F.S.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Mar 2009

I still post and read at the dope, but it's just not as interesting or engaging as the Dome. Very few threads of interest anymore.

Joe

Registered
    Feb 2009

Tiny turtle is really tiny! Uh, I mean, I still hang out in Café Society, but I don't really go anywhere else, especially the Pit, which was my previous home.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by iampunha
    Though I guess I have continued on a lighter scale. Even to the point of being told I am on my last strike.
    I called Ed a "stupid cunt", even going out of my way to point out that it wasn't mere thoughtless abuse but was my considered opinion of him, and all I got was a lousy warning from Skippy. Damn it, how can I go out in a Viking pyre of foul-mouthed glory when their matches are wet?
    You taught me language; and my profit on't
    Is, I know how to curse: the red plague rid you
    For learning me your language!

Caliban, from William Shakespeare'sThe Tempest {Act 1, Scene 2}

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Try insulting Jerry.

Stegodon
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Or Lynn.
    AKA Shayna from SD

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Scissorjack
    Quote Originally posted by iampunha
    I called Ed a "stupid cunt", even going out of my way to point out that it wasn't mere thoughtless abuse but was my considered opinion of him, and all I got was a lousy warning from Skippy. Damn it, how can I go out in a Viking pyre of foul-mouthed glory when their matches are wet?
    I don't know. I thanked Ed for introducing me to the term "cuntlapper", and told him that thanks to his apparent obsession, I'll never again see the word "cunt" without thinking of Ed, nor see the name "Ed Zotti" without thinking, "cunt". Yet -- I didn't technically call Ed a cunt, and since it seems to be about playing Lawyerball, maybe that's all that matters.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jill
    Or Lynn.
    Been there, done that.

Mammuthus primigenius eleanorigby's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I'm on all three boards, which can get a bit overwhelming. Frankly, I'm not all that happy with any of them at present. I was not upset or offended by the prank here (although I had a moment when I thought WTF? And I don't think it was the best thing to do, given recent history of most of us), but I find my tolerance for the dickishness I see in the fallout to be minimal at best. I am in no mood to suffer cocky arrogant jerks gladly or even at all.

So, I'm fairly cool on the whole concept right now. I don't know what I'll do. I do know the pleasure I used to get out of SDMB et al has diminished fairly sharply over the last month.

Just my 2 cents.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Baldwin
    I thanked Ed for introducing me to the term "cuntlapper", and told him that thanks to his apparent obsession, I'll never again see the word "cunt" without thinking of Ed, nor see the name "Ed Zotti" without thinking, "cunt". Yet -- I didn't technically call Ed a cunt, and since it seems to be about playing Lawyerball, maybe that's all that matters.
    LOL! Brilliant.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Liberal
    Try insulting Jerry.
    I got nothing against Jerry. It's not his fault he has no time and inadequate resources to maintain and run something which probably isn't even in his job description.

Clueless but well-meaning Hatshepsut's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I haven't made a clean break from the Dope, but I only have so much free time for reading and posting, and this place comes first.

Actually, I probably would make a clean break now, but for some reason I did a vanity search over there (why, I have no idea...I really didn't expect to find anything) and found that Siam Sam had started a thread asking if I was okay in light of the "suburban tsunami" that struck Jakarta. So now I feel a little more tied to the place, at least for a while.

Registered
    Mar 2009

One of the reasons I followed the links here was to get away from the mod-centric board dramas. Seeing them being played out again (and pretending to play them out as an April Fool's joke that wasn't particularly amusing to me) is pretty much sucking the fun out of this board, at least at the moment.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Try insulting Jerry.
    I got nothing against Jerry. It's not his fault he has no time and inadequate resources to maintain and run something which probably isn't even in his job description.
    Well, that's just fine, but I was responding to this: "Damn it, how can I go out in a Viking pyre of foul-mouthed glory when their matches are wet?"

Maybe you should have specified, "Excluding the limitations I have in my mind right now, how can I go out in a Viking pyre of foul mouthed glory...?".

Registered
    Mar 2009

Well, I've been over occasionally since I migrated over here. I've even gotten involved with a nuclear power thread in the Pit. (What can I say? The issue is like crack to me.) But for the most part I've been doing my reading and posting over here.

Though I do want to thank WhyNot for pointing out the craziness I'd missed in that Obama thread. I'd only skimmed it when it started, and hadn't been back.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    One of the reasons I followed the links here was to get away from the mod-centric board dramas. Seeing them being played out again (and pretending to play them out as an April Fool's joke that wasn't particularly amusing to me) is pretty much sucking the fun out of this board, at least at the moment.
    No worries. Cap took care of that.

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I like this board a lot and it does seem fresh and new. Its fun to be part of the shaping of something like this so early on, just by posting the ideas you think will bring the boards focus of discussion in one direction or another, by a teensy little bit. In a 10 year old board like the Dope things like that don't happen and things get old.

Due to the size of this board things don't move along as fast, though, so after skimming all the boards here and reading and/or posting in what I have interest in if I have time I'll do a quick gaze around the SDMB and might read one or two threads. I don't usually have enough time for that, though, so most of my focus has been this place.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Maybe you should have specified, "Excluding the limitations I have in my mind right now, how can I go out in a Viking pyre of foul mouthed glory...?".
    It's probably quite childish of me to want to go out there in a blaze of cussin', and I don't really care enough anymore to want to be banned. I still check in from time to time, but I can't even be bothered to take the piss out of their ineptitude anymore; I just cock a mental eyebrow. The T-Shirt design thread is actually pretty funny reading once you've stopped caring:

- You can't have T-Shirts because we never sold many and right now we need too much money to care about our revenue stream.

- Nobody bought them because the designs are fucking ugly; and if you had cared more about your revenue stream, maybe you wouldn't need the money now.

- But Slug Signorino is a design classic! He's part of the SD brand! Besides, it would cost too much to print new ones.

- Look, printing shirts is practically free now. And you could really use the brand exposure. Revenue stream, remember?

- Oooh, can I have one that says "Hi Opal" in an XXXXXL? And a tiny wee one for my cat Mister Snuggly?

- Good news, everyone! We've decided to let you have T-Shirts! You just won't be able to use the SD logo or slogan, since we're worried about violating our own trademark. But feel free to submit your own designs that don't mention the SD in any way.

- Ooh, can I have one that says "Once, for 20 minutes" in an XXXXXXL?

Link, lest you think I'm making this shit up. I swear, someday they're gonna teach about that place in business school.

Registered
    Feb 2009

It's probably quite childish of me to want to go out there in a blaze of cussin', and I don't really care enough anymore to want to be banned. I still check in from time to time, but I can't even be bothered to take the piss out of their ineptitude anymore; I just cock a mental eyebrow.

Pretty much my feelings as well. I've generally stopped even reading threads over there, unless there is one that really sparks my interest, and even then I'll likely not post to it. But having this new home really makes a part of me want to flame out in a big way at the old place. But that would be immature and childish, so I'll wait until I really need the release.
    "The Turtle Moves!"

Banned
    Registered
    Mar 2009

I acknowledge that this makes me a terrible person, but in that T-shirt thread that Scissorjack linked, one Doper said this and I laughed very loudly:

I would buy the shirt as described....with or without Opal....but only if they were available in sizes for normal human beings (5xlt)....nut just for the smaller members.

Oliphaunt
    Registered
    Mar 2009

It's probably quite childish of me to want to go out there in a blaze of cussin', and I don't really care enough anymore to want to be banned. I still check in from time to time, but I can't even be bothered to take the piss out of their ineptitude anymore; I just cock a mental eyebrow. The T-Shirt design thread is actually pretty funny reading once you've stopped caring:

- You can't have T-Shirts because we never sold many and right now we need too much money to care about our revenue stream.

- Nobody bought them because the designs are fucking ugly; and if you had cared more about your revenue stream, maybe you wouldn't need the money now.

- But Slug Signorino is a design classic! He's part of the SD brand! Besides, it would cost too much to print new ones.

- Look, printing shirts is practically free now. And you could really use the brand exposure. Revenue stream, remember?

- Oooh, can I have one that says "Hi Opal" in an XXXXXL? And a tiny wee one for my cat Mister Snuggly?

- Good news, everyone! We've decided to let you have T-Shirts! You just won't be able to use the SD logo or slogan, since we're worried about violating our own trademark. But feel free to submit your own designs that don't mention the SD in any way.

- Ooh, can I have one that says "Once, for 20 minutes" in an XXXXXXL?

Link, lest you think I'm making this shit up. I swear, someday they're gonna teach about that place in business school.
    Simultaneously hillarious and pathetic. I feel like I'm laughing at dwarf bowling.

Registered
    Feb 2009

[Kabul Brother] Sometimes I think you want to fail! [/KB]

Remember when CL bought the Reader and we were all told, "Hey! These guys understand the web! So expect to see big changes around here very soon."? If there was any doubt that was a load of bullshit, the t-shirt thread should have erased it. I can see Ed saying something like, "No promises, but I'll bounce it off legal and the bosses to see what they think."

Instead, what Ed said clearly indicated that not only do they not have a clue about the intarwebs, but that anything related to money and basic business sense is so utterly beyond them that the humane thing to do would be to simply shoot them and put them out of their misery.

Almost makes me wish that I'd posted that thread I was thinking about which described Ed spending his days downloading really bizarre and obscure porn, which is why he was cribbing his columns from GQ threads (without crediting them as the source) and the boards were so slow.
    Have you ever wondered if your mom kissed you goodnight after giving your dad a blowjob? You are now. "To be second in space is to be second in everything," LBJ

Registered
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan
    Instead, what Ed said clearly indicated that not only do they not have a clue about the intarwebs, but that anything related to money and basic business sense is so utterly beyond them that the humane thing to do would be to simply shoot them and put them out of their misery.
    The trademark thing is just - I dunno, words fail me. Are they afraid they're going to sue themselves? It's not as if the SDMB brand is such a hot fashion ticket that Thai sweatshops have to chain catheterised seamstresses to padlocked firedoors so that they can churn out bootleg "It's taking longer than we thought" T-Shirts night and day.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Tuckerfan
    The trademark thing is just - I dunno, words fail me. Are they afraid they're going to sue themselves? It's not as if the SDMB brand is such a hot fashion ticket that Thai sweatshops have to chain catheterised seamstresses to padlocked firedoors so that they can churn out bootleg "It's taking longer than we thought" T-Shirts night and day.
    Remember, they're so paranoid about the evil intarwebs that they won't allow their sites to be hosted by an outside company, even though that is cheaper, more reliable, and fairly common in the industry these days. Sure, some of the major corporations (like Google) have their own server farms, but they're profitable, CL ain't, and so long as the fuckwits are running the show, never will be.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Uh-why is everyone using the Captain's avatar?
    "At Pottery Barn, if you knock over a lamp, you have to glue it back together, even if when you're done it looks terrible and it doesn't work. Oh, and you have to stay in the store forever. Oh, and it's an exploding lamp. "
    -Stephen Colbert

Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by Guinastasia
    Uh-why is everyone using the Captain's avatar?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Mine is just a picture of me from my younger days.

Elephant
    Registered
    Feb 2009

My high school yearbook pic.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2009

Oh-yeah, must have imagined it-*goes and gets her glasses* Ah, much better now.

Sorry-I have a headache-this rotten cold, you know.
    -Stephen Colbert

Porno Dealing Monster pepperlandgirl's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

I went back to the SDMB yesterday...or the day before yesterday...my sense of time is all messed up. Anyway, I posted in a few threads and looked around, but that was the first time I've been there in a month, and I doubt I'll be going over again for awhile. Not because I'm punishing the board by leaving, but because I find I get a LOT more done when I don't have a SDMB tab open. Being productive is nice.
    I'm still swimming in harmony. I'm still dreaming of flight. I'm still lost in the waves night after night...

Do you have an idea or an article you would like to see on the Electric Elephant? Email me at theelectricelephant(at)gmail.com!

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nice avatar, pepper - what are you, some kind of pinko rebel commie?

Porno Dealing Monster pepperlandgirl's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2009

Quote Originally posted by featherlou
    Nice avatar, pepper - what are you, some kind of pinko rebel commie?
    Yes.
    I'm still swimming in harmony. I'm still dreaming of flight. I'm still lost in the waves night after night...

Do you have an idea or an article you would like to see on the Electric Elephant? Email me at theelectricelephant(at)gmail.com!

Elephant
    Registered
    Mar 2009

What a bunch of stunningly handsome people we have here.

Especially the women folk.
    I reserve the right to be bothered by things that don't faze you,
    and to cheerfully ignore things that bug the shit out of you.
    I am not you.

+ Reply to thread