+ Reply to thread
Page 200 of 204 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 LastLast
Results 9,951 to 10,000 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Sep 2009

Never wear them for movies; I wear them for music only with my iPod.

TNP has more than 600 songs on a personal music gadget.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure, I guess. Probably my USB thingie in the car has about that or so, probably more.

TNP has more stored video/music stored in a secret vault than he or she can be bothered to watch or listen to in the coming lifetime, whatever that means.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I used to, and felt a bit guilty about it until we changed video streaming services and lost everything we'd accumulated up to then. I can't say I shed a tear, though. If I really wanted to watch it, I just watched it - or knew I could later find it on another platform.

TNP's opinion of Elon Musk has, uh, evolved in recent months.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. Call me a sheeple, but I've never had a high opinion of Bezusk. Gates, yes, despite hearing decades of "M$ is teh suxxor," I've never had a problem with.

TNP is beyond frustrated trying to find a book on *m*z*n.com, or, by contrast, has been pleased.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Neither, I guess. I am listening to a pretty interesting audiobook on Churchill's leadership early in WWII, though.

TNP knows three facts about Winston Churchill, and will share them with us.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Probably. I'm guessing "tea-sucking limey warmonger" is not a real answer. Off the top of my head, (i) part of his skill and reputation as an orator and as a generally witty maker of ripostes is due to his having coped with some speech impediments in life (ii) he did indeed drink quite a bit (iii) despite his insinuations to the contrary, he was not an especially good student at classical Latin, to speak nothing of his barely-existent skills at Attic Greek.

TNP enjoys these "hoodie" sweatshirts the people are wearing nowadays quite a bit, for one's own sartorial use.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I've seen some cool ones, and own two myself (CWRU and Miskatonic U.).

TNP has travel plans for the holidays.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No.

TNP is not particularly enjoying enforced absences from the job/profession. Alternatively, equally not enjoying weather.

Registered
    Sep 2009

True on both, although it has warmed up quite a bit today, and is supposed to be even milder tomorrow. On the other hand, a good friend is stranded in Buffalo.

TNP has been to Buffalo in the past five years.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, sometimes go to ballgames there and such. My kid, who works in Niagara Fall, goes there a lot.

TNP likes Hawaii a lot.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've only been once, in 1987, but yes, I certainly do. Friendly people, great weather, beautiful beaches, mountains, jungle, etc. Had a fascinating visit to Pearl Harbor, including to the sunken USS Arizona memorial.

TNP has been to that memorial.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Never have.

TNP can and will name one novel made into a film that was equal *but not better* than the adaptation.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I think the movie adaptation of the Civil War novel Cold Mountain, with Jude Law and Nicole Kidman, probably fits the bill. Both were pretty good, I thought.

TNP has seen that movie.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No I have not. I've heard of it, probably! The title reminds me of a vitamin enriched facial cream. And I know the actors named above.

TNP finds it ridiculous that a mobile taco truck uses as an audible cue to get workers to come running "Dixie." As in, "Oh I wish were in the land of cotton": some kind of cultural mismatch, and yet, kids come running when the taco truck gets around!

For bonus TNP points, TNP has mocked the use of that tune to various coworkers. As in, for example, "Ah, yes, nothing like the antebellum song of the south to rouse the troops to action," or whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, but I just might be tempted to. On the other hand, Lincoln said it was one of his favorite songs, joked that it was a lawful prize of war and even asked a band to play it at the White House after Lee's surrender at Appomattox.

TNP, having now seen the trailer, will probably watch the movie in the next 90 days:

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, hard negative on that, Colonel! But that is terribly amusing about Lincoln's take on the tune "Dixie." He was an odd fellow, it seems.

TNP is all-out on conducting telephone interviews, whether as interrogator or receipient. Just a terrible medium of endeavor, one finds.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'm not big on them. I'd far prefer to be face-to-face, or even on Zoom.

TNP would prefer to be the interviewer rather than the interviewee.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Well, yeah! Who wouldn't, really? First you ask the questions, then you get the money, then you get the power!

TNP's audio systems at home tend to the more baroque (more possibilities for switching sources and outputs, for example) than the "set it and forget it" all-in-one type rig.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, I guess so. I often listen to a CD player in the kitchen or living room, or my iPod if I'm moving around the house. When I'm in our home office, I'm almost always using YouTube as a jukebox (usually classical music or light jazz) on my computer.

TNP needs a new phone.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Desperately. Just can't stand the thought of all the blah blah blah that goes with one.

TNP is feeling their age.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, more and more. As my grandfather used to say with great vehemence, "Growing old is hell!"

TNP has at least one grandparent still alive.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. In fact I'm somewhat surprised (in a good way) when people about my age mention they have one or two parents still alive.

TNP has sent somebody recently a book recently by the mail that was enjoyed, supposedly. If so, expound.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, none. I did get a giant, two-volume collection of New Yorker cartoons for Christmas, though.

TNP likes TNY cartoons.

Registered
    Jul 2013

True. I remember having been amused many years ago. Good clean fun.

TNP has recently (i) read a superhero comic or (ii) it was his or her first time reading a superhero comic and if either or both, was amused.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, although I did borrow an Orville graphic novel from the library and am looking forward to reading it.

TNP is an Orville fan like me.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Still haven’t seen it, although my kid highly recommends it.

TNP has seen Midnight Diner on Netflix.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm, no, never have.

TNP thinks I should check out Midnight Diner, mebbe after I've caught up with The Crown, Rick and Morty and Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Yeah, I definitely recommend it.

TNP went out for Valentines Day.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No. We're going to celebrate this weekend instead.

TNP doesn't like to defer holidays or merrymaking.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Probably true, although sometimes you have to take what life deals.

TNP is pondering retirement very, very, seriously.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not by a long shot, and I suspect EH is not either.

TNP has ever really got up in the .... cracks .... of an employer by clearly stating one's requirements and demands for one's rôle in employment. Sort of a hail Mary attempt to force action by HR and senior mgmt.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, fortunately, although three jobs ago my supervisor and I really didn't get along all that well.

TNP has had root beer in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, although I do very vividly recall what they taste like. Here's to temperance, now and forever! Shall we gather at the river....blah blah blah.

TNP sometimes goes weeks without drinking any alcohol whatsoever (not including trace amounts that might be present in some fruit juices, and other foods, &c.).

Registered
    Sep 2009

That's true. I had some white wine with dinner tonight, and I think it had been at least two months or so since I had last any.

TNP hates white wine.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No...there are some I enjoy. Mostly for the non-tooth-staining properties. Not my first choice, though, when given the option of a somewhat thick and meaty red.

TNP thinks owning and using a WaterPik (on one's gums) would be pretty neat.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Only tried it once, I think. It wasn't bad, but I can't say I'm eager to try it again.

TNP flosses only once or twice a month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nah. I've been slacking lately, but I get in there, to the extent that floss can only reach about 1mm (maybe 2) beneath the gum line, at least a handful of times a week. I crave the deep, stimulating penetration of a WaterPik!

TNP would totally wear an aviator watch (with solar power, radio-sync to atomic time, slide rule bezel, analog and digital time displays (as well as chronograph/stop watches for each), in addition to a separate indicator for UTC/GMT/Zulu time, such as this one:

Registered
    Sep 2009

Uh... which one?

Registered
    Jul 2013

All of them! The Citizen Promaster Skyhawk A-T is an example of a watch which performs all the functions listed. But my model has arrived two days ago and is sitting happily on my wrist now, so I am no longer curious about the watches of mere mortals!

Fine.

TNP thinks that the art of producing a non-dilute sample during observed urine tests can be mastered by a combination of drugs, some behavioral modifications, and a relatively precise intake of water over a prescribed interval in the immediate pre-test period.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I really doubt it. I hear from probation officers all the time that they're catching people trying to do that.

TNP has worn a hat in the last half-hour.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, been a few days.

TNP has a pretty nice collection of baseball caps.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Eh....not really "nice," I guess. This gal I used to know a few years ago still has, AFAIK, one of my Flexfit black caps....that was one that really fit, and I liked it. It's difficult to get a ballcap to fit the 7'3/4" melon, but I try. Yes, I have some other black Flexfits, but I don't wear too many ballcaps...because eez deefeecult.

(No, dammit, EH! I was saying there's probably a way to overcome paruresis or the simply hard or difficult process of pissing in a cup with one hand on the sample jar, and the other on the dick...not cheating the system. I have no doubt people try all kinds of stupid tricks, but for, I'd guess, most people, it takes some art and science to "perform" under stringent conditions.)

TNP is kind of not pleased with the process of buying new eyeglasses....crowded boutique stores, complete with obsequious but knowledgable opticians, down to online places that accept one's insurance down to...you name it

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, it can be a pain. I've gotten good frames from Ben Silver in Charleston, S.C. Not cheap, but good-looking and durable. Some cool retro styles available, too.

TNP has considered getting laser eye surgery.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Actually did it. Happy with it, although it has its issues.

TNP has had a detached retina.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, thank God, I never have.

TNP ought to do the dishes tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, I ought to do the dishes tonight and every night.

TNP thinks a good way to test a prospective CPA's acumen is, over a drink or two, even if it might be a Heineken 0.0, is to present about three or so gasoline receipts, with odometer mileage noted, a blank Moleskine notebook, pencil, and eraser, and see if she or her can show his or her work.

It may be that's also a good way to check a first-grader's arithmetic, but for the sake of argument, let's say a full grown accountant. No calculators or smartphones allowed except a slide rule, if it is built into the bezel of a wristwatch, say.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, what the hell, it might be worth a try. I've had the same accountants for years and they do good work, so I've never had to put 'em to the test like that.

TNP has had a piece o' cheesecake in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I ain't reckon I did have no piece of cheesecake no past month. Sure is mighty good, though!

TNP does not find it difficult to believe that NY State's Attorney General's office is a wretched hive of villainy....even without Elliot Spitzer hanging around the joint.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sometimes it has been, I suppose, but these days they seem be doing a good job there, from what I've read.

TNP yearns for warmer weather.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Understand the feeling, but we finally got about sixty deg F here today with blue skies. Won't last, but like Jim Bronson always said, "Hang in there!"

TNP doesn't feel the least bit bad about joking around with coworkers by putting on an exaggerated vocal mannerisms (such as a broad cartoon Foghorn Leghorn, or whatever) for laughs. While in private moments.

+ Reply to thread