+ Reply to thread
Page 192 of 204 FirstFirst ... 92 142 182 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 202 ... LastLast
Results 9,551 to 9,600 of 10165

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, not really. Neither? OK, maybe the viola is a little less screechy: I'll go with that one.

TNP can name a musical instrument he or should would like to learn. No, the spoons or a pennywhistle don't count!

Registered
    Sep 2009

I've always liked the trumpet and wouldn't mind taking a crack at that. I learned to play both the piano and the alto saxophone when I was a kid and certainly could do with a lot of practice, if I had to play them now.

TNP had a great weekend, and will tell us why.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I've rarely been as incensed at what I perceive to be a grave, personal injustice.

TNP had a somewhat better weekend. And should probably share the good news, if any. Shiny happy people damn. No, some good news would amuse me.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I had a pretty good weekend: played Zoom trivia, went to a city council candidates' forum, went to church, attended a city festival and then a political fundraiser, and mowed the lawn. Enjoyed the summer sun... and then the air conditioning.

TNP is reading a great book these days.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. I've been flipping back through Proust's volume *Albertine Disappeared* (I think it's usually put in English under the alternative title *The Fugitive*). It has a little something for everybody in it, probably.

TNP wouldn't consider reading a work of fiction written by someone under the age of thirty-five or, preferably, under a hundred years old or more.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Certainly I would. Great fiction is great fiction, regardless of the age of the author. Most books I read, I have no idea at all of the writer's age.

TNP has read a book in the past year written by someone born before 1600.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. St. Ignatius of Loyola's *Spiritual Exercises*. Not really much of a page turner, especially in his kind of opaque Latin (not a great stylist, IMHO, but a classic text). The psalter as well (a one-volume little edition of the liber psalmorum aka Book of Psalms): also not really a page turner, but something one reads, perhaps.

TNP does not consider "mental toughness" to be one of his or her greatest attributes.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Probably not. I'm tough enough to take most of what life tosses at me, or at least what it's tossed so far, but I don't think I'm unusual in that.

TNP will be watching a movie tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. Watched a few minutes of *Anaconda*, but whatever.

TNP finds television news not only tedious but, in some way, offensive. In that there is a lack of control over the content,.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, sort of. I'd almost always rather read than see the news, unless there's truly remarkable footage of something.

TNP knows at least one TV reporter.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I don't think so. Not sure.

TNP finds his or her muscular/nerve pains migrate almost at will from place to place on his or her body.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, more and more. Much be getting old.

TNP has spoken to a doctor in the past month.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, but probably should. Yadda yadda.

TNP has called at least one person recently a "school marm" in a joking fashion. Preferably more than one at the same time, but it is TNP, so roll your own.

Bonus points if an amusing anecdote accompanies.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I know I haven't recently, and quite possibly never.

TNP has spoken to a woman named Bernadette in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No! French! Oh là là. Nope, never

TNP can explain why some of the world thinks French women are supposedly more desirable than those from other nations.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Just what they think they know from books and movies, I guess.

TNP has read a book set in France in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. There's the Proust (it's not really a France that exists outside of Proust's mind, except in some striking historical correspondences, but still), and I'm 100% sure some other things. Some biography/critical works on FR authors, some history stuff....I don't remember what. Probably cannot count FR poetry, even written by a French — somewhat abstract, you know.

TNP has a favorite Tilly: Meg Tilly, Jennifer Tilly, or the Tilly Hat.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'd never heard of the Till[e]y Hat before. If I have to pick one, I guess I'll go with Meg Tilly, who was pretty cute (and limber) in The Big Chill.

TNP has seen The Big Chill in the past five years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Very recently, as part of my new-found "admiration" for Meg Tilly and her talents.

TNP names three or more actors whom he or she has deliberately found most of their recorded works.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Tom Hanks, Keira Knightley and Alan Rickman. All quite talented.

TNP has, over the years, seen at least one movie including each of the three.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. I initially read it as "last year" and tried to remember a Tom Hanks movie.....he's in everything.....but, yeah, sure. I even looked up a while ago on purpose movies a while ago I hated just because Alan Rickman was in it. That fucker was an asshole being like dying and shit: screw him, he would have been great as Jacob Marley......or is he?

TNP can give a good example of "astrology" == "weird.Nuts."

Registered
    Sep 2009

Anyone who believes that what happens in their life has the slightest thing to with when they were born. I mean, WTF? It's totally irrelevant.

TNP has been to Philadelphia in the past five years.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, it's been longer than that.

[And I asked for an example! Yes, astrology is nuts, and down to the exact time of birth....I don't even know what that means....something with houses and Pluto which isn't even a planet anymore. It's nuts, but women like it, generally! That's the core market, I find.]

TNP can name one or more good things about Philly center: Italian Market, Rocky statue, whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

City Hall and the Museum of Art are both very impressive buildings, and the Museum has a terrific collection, including several Van Goghs. I like the big Washington equestrian statue outside, too (well, the statue itself, but not so much the base, which IMHO is a bit too "busy"): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eakins...phia-27527.jpg

TNP has a favorite outdoor sculpture in his or her town.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, I don't know. There is a pretty good one of TR mounted on horseback, and also a good one of a huge elk.

TNP is familiar with the tune "Jemima Surrender" by The Band, and if so, is kind of shocked by how rapey (or at least explicit) the lyrics are. "Jemima surrender, I'm going to give it to you....Ride in your canoe....let my river flow" etc.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never heard that one before.

If TNP were in a band, he or she would never go with so unimaginative a name as "The Band," but would instead go for something much cooler, which TNP will now tell us.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I can't print it what I'd tempted to go for on a family friendly forum. The Band gives a couple of accounts, I think chiefly in an interview by pianist and singer Richard Manuel, of how they ended up with such a generic name in the excellent concert film and documentary by Scorsese, The Last Waltz. I always liked some of the kids' (well, not anymore) names like "The John Cougar Concentration Camp" and others.

TNP has a rock guitar idol, and will name him or her in the next post.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Quite a few, but off the top of my head I'll go with, hmm... Ian Bairnson, for his awesome playing on this Alan Parsons Project song (especially at 1:44):

TNP had not heard that song recently, but likes it.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I like it. Only thing I've ever heard by the APProj. Sounds like a bunch of heavy studio cats getting it over in the 1970s. Nice Rhodes piano work. And the guitar solo kind of reminds me of Larry Carlton, plus the chorus effect, on something like Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne."

TNP vehemently disagrees that Steely Dan belongs in the "yacht rock" category of music, and has a favorite tune or album of theirs.

Registered
    Sep 2009

"Vehemently disagrees" would be overstating it, but yeah, that label probably does an injustice to the group. And "My Old School" is hands-down my favorite song of theirs:

TNP prefers another Steely Dan tune to that one.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Oh, sure. I always like "Deacon Blues," but there's so many. Donald Fagen may be an insufferable prick, but he's an inventive composer and an adequate keyboard player. And may Walter Becker rest in peace, as of not too long ago.

TNP has recently used his or her skills at mediation, such as having almost been in a real old-fashioned bar-room brawl started by some "toughs," or whatever example is appropriate.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, fortunately, I haven't found myself in that kind of situation recently. I did once avert a looming fight between two women on a playground, though, by a loud, stern and timely shout of "Hey!"

TNP has had at least a somewhat similar experience with a single shouted word.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes, several times recently. In fact, using that exact word, namely "Hey!" Used by me and witnessed its use by others. It's an instant shock collar for humans.

TNP is no longer capable of being surprised by the pettiness of other so-called humans.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Pretty much true. "People - they're the worst." - Jerry Seinfeld

TNP has some hope for humanity's future, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not really. In fact, in the past several months or so, I've become more convinced of the despicable character of even some of the most outwardly respectable people. Or persons. Or even "people," between quotes.

TNP agrees with what I said just now, but, still, craves and adores the admiration of many people, and finds it necessary to live.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I certainly like to be admired, but I don't crave it and don't find it necessary to live.

YMF has his or her own business card within reach.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I haven't bothered to reorder cards for a few years. These days with phones and everything, I don't think anyone really would know what to do with it should they want to get in touch with me for a little job or something.

TNP really relies on an old-fashioned wallet/billfold to keep a bunch of things like that handy. Business cards, guitar picks, various bric-a-brac, all that. And wouldn't have it any other way!

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yup, I'm old-fashioned that way. My wallet isn't nearly as thick as George Costanza's, but it's thick enough!

TNP remembers that episode of Seinfeld.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sure. Although despite some corroboration from "doctors" of chiropracty, I have no doubt that a strong back with developed muscles should have no problem carrying such a wallet.

TNP has never, ever, in adult life, carried his or her wallet in one of the back pockets of a trousers. Front pocket only! (Or perhaps inside jacket pocket, if one is doing an old-timey movie impersonation). It is ape law!

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, I almost always carry my wallet in my back right pants pocket, or in a jacket pocket.

TNP has listened to some jazz today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Heh. It'll be a cold day in hell before I don't play or listen to some form of American improvised music one day or another. So, yeah. Of course. No, I don't always have an instrument with me, but it's just how one rolls, as one does. Now I'm playing more guitar, so, of course, I take my little Ibanez archtop to bed most every night with me. She's very good to me, even though she's not flatwound yet.

There's not a conscious hour that goes by that there isn't some beat, even just "oompah chookla oohla molla wanna holla" that doesn't come out.

[/* ETA really? I thought that was only a "dad" thing, carrying wallet in the back pocket. Well, so long as nobody pickpockets you, it's no skin off my nose. Really? Well, whatever makes you happy. */]

TNP would have a real silent musical future if he or she didn't have the music of the past to count on as inspirations. Jelly Roll, Bach, whatever.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 27 Aug 2021 at 11:49 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Oh, definitely. Today I'm listening to Vivaldi:

TNP has been to Venice.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Too far east compared to NW Italy, and foreignish although rich in literary allusions. That and I don't like water that much.

TNP thinks it will be a cold day in hell before he or she ever cleans out the inside or outside of his or her car, and does not give one crap about who cares.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Not quite... I don't clean it out all that often, but I certainly don't wait that long! I'm most likely to do it when I know I'll have a passenger, as for a recent history trip to Philadelphia with a friend.

TNP is enjoying AC today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, a bit on the commute back home. Not unpleasant at all. Refreshing, even!

TNP thinks Instagram can go get bent.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Sure, why not? I'm not on it.

TNP needs some scrap paper right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

NOW???? Hell yeah. I always need scrap paper. Fortunately, I always carry some or a small notebook or have some within reach. And don't forget the pencils! And sharpener and eraser! Or, maybe, if that's all one has, some pen dependent on Big Ink, but that would be lamentable.

TNP would rather retain a 24/7 live-in chauffeur/personal valet, or a cook/housekeeper.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I had to pick, I'd go with the cook/housekeeper. I like to drive and I can dress myself, but a cook (if skilled) and housekeeper (if diligent) would be useful. But either would feel awkward.

TNP knows someone with a live-in chauffeur/personal valet.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sterling Archer? No, at best I think I know some elderly rich people who have live-in caretakers of sorts, but that's not really the same thing. No Jeeves and Wooster, or Clouseau and Cato "households" I know personally, although I'm sure there are some out there.

TNP can explain what's so great about driving oneself, even if one is good at it and enjoys the sensory experience, when you could be sitting in the back, à la Burke's Law doing crosswords, having a few cocktails, solving crimes, taking nude selfies to send to hapless underlings! Even taking a regular cab is better, although the hacks aren't always that good.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I just like the freedom and mobility of driving myself - deciding where to go, then going faster or slower, changing lanes, responding to traffic, etc. I also like listening to music or audiobooks, or talking with whoever's in the car with me, putting the time to good use. I do enjoy reading in the car on long trips - on the highway, that is; in city traffic with its stops and starts, or on winding country roads, I can get carsick.

TNP has taken a nude selfie in the past week.

+ Reply to thread