+ Reply to thread
Page 191 of 204 FirstFirst ... 91 141 181 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 201 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,550 of 10174

Thread: The next person to post in this thread...

Registered
    Jul 2013

Ummmmmmm....I'll say a hard 'yes.' I have never ever been interested in the private lives of either.

TNP will say that talcum powder is a useful tool, even upon one's hands when handling a grimy pool cue. Or a grimy groin.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, actually never used it, I think.

TNP has heard Nina Simone sing "Mississippi Goddam" before:

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah. Not for a long time, but I remember that one.

TNP is not so much liking faint moustache, even bleached, on his woman/women.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, never have, and never will. Fortunately my wife doesn't have one.

TNP will be mowing today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. Neither literally nor figuratively "mowing the grass." My gal doesn't like me that much. Yet. Capricorn, don'tcha know it. Good for the chase but firm on her feet.

TNP has recently reached his or her limit of endurance while doing physical labor during the heat. And TNP finds that a cold beer or several does wonders for reducing one's core temperature and general mood afterwards.

Registered
    Sep 2009

A few weeks back, mowing in very hot and humid weather, yeah. Had to go inside to cool off for a little bit, and drank a glass of cold water.

TNP has a stapler within reach.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yeah, I can reach it if I stretch pretty far.

TNP is extremely suspicious of automobile mechanics, in general, and is pretty judicious about what he or she will allow the mechanic to perform, and at what price.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I always suspect deep down that I'm getting ripped off.

TNP has a two-car garage.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No, I have a one-car carport that, I believe, is responsible for leaving one sideview mirror dangling (since "fixed" with epoxy), and damage to the condo association's protruding water outlet which I had to pay those rusty trombone players to get fixed.

TNP prefers to believe that similar "incidents" are strictly the fault of an unmoveable object's unwieldy design, and not the result of "disorderly" behavior on the part of an actor/agent. Except in most circumstances, of course, where one is not personally involved.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, sure, we'll go with that.

TNP has spoken to a police officer in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. In my neck of the woods, cops of all stripes (except perhaps Staties) are trying to avoid all contact with the public they possibly can. No license plates, expired tags, anything like that is officially "deprioritized" or "not enforced," according to the Police Commissioner, who happens to also be the Mayor. I very rarely give them cause to initiate a "talk" with me for a long time now, anyway, so it's all the same.

TNP thinks that a day with potentially 105° F or 110° weather is a good enough reason to use up some unpaid time off from fast-paced work, mostly outside, but has a competing urge to show those pansies how to take it like a man.

Bonus TNP if TNP will say whether the last clause of the previous sentence bespeaks a "toxic" kind of whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

First off, when it's that hot, I want to be either inside enjoying the A/C, or in a cool pool somewhere, but certainly not trying to show anyone how to take it like a man.

And secondly, as to the Bonus TNP, yeah, there are certainly those who will think that.

TNP watched Conan's farewell show on TBS tonight.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Nah, never watched any of it. Can’t remember the last time I watched a talk show.

TNP has watched more movies on TV in the past year and a half than in the previous decade.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Well, more each month than my pre-COVID average, I suppose, but certainly not more than the whole previous ten years combined!

TNP will be watching a movie tonight.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I'm going to be ruminating.

TNP thinks physical intimacy short of sexual intercourse or touch for the purpose of arousal is possibly possible between two good friends of the appropriate sexes (i.e., however you define that, it doesn't matter).

Registered
    Sep 2009

Possibly possible? Of course. Where will it lead? Ah, that's more difficult to say.

TNP's feet are a little cold right now.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. I estimate it's about 75 degrees F at my desk right now, and it's after midnight. No, my place doesn't cool down at all and is typically warmer than outside. To me, that feels about right. A bit warm, but not cold.

TNP has recently or ever sweated (literally, as in leaving droplets of sweat) over simple "tasks" such as practicing one's game of 14.1 pool or so forth.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Running some errands out in the heat today (87 F and humid), yeah, I sweated some.

TNP will be going to a party maskless this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Sort of. With heat tomorrow abnormally high at 113-118 °F, I might possibly crawl to a local dive bar with air conditioning. It's like a party, except with a mix of undesirable elements, not my favorite bartenders on Sundays, and, one hopes, a good handful of longish-time acquaintances. Not working outside at heavy manual labor in the direct sunlight, that is for sure.

TNP can say what the top qualities are that a good bartender has. Top few positive traits or so.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Hmm. Skill, friendliness, diligence and speed.

TNP can think of a few others, or would differently rank these.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Maybe slightly. Speed+diligence I'd count as one attribute. A good bartender has a sixth sense for when somebody is ready for another, i.e. is diligent, and extremely attentive to his or her flock of ne'er-do-wells. Skill? Sure, being able to pour a beer with the right amount of head, knowing what call liquors the bar has, those are good things even if one doesn't drink mixed drinks. Friendliness is a given, but some people are better than others at it. Ranking? (Speed+attentiveness) > (Friendliness) > (Skill)

TNP thinks wearing black or brightly colored loose fitting clothing on bright sunny days is worth it for the extra protection against UV radiation.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I guess so. Mostly I just try to stay out of the sun, or use sunscreen.

TNP wants to go swimming soon.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. Some words: "filthy," "drowning," "sunburn," "children," and "yokels."

TNP can think of at least one unambiguously positive thing about outdoor and indoor temperatures sustained above 115 degrees F. Or even a mere 110 °F.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I'll give you two: it makes me really, really appreciate AC, and I can be sure that no one is freezing to death.

TNP has been in Arizona in the summer.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Nope. But I've seen 3:10 to Yuma, the Glenn Ford version and the remake, a number of times. Got some family down there. It's not that hot down there, from what I've heard: the copper wildcats chose that place.

TNP will make some crude observations about Arizonans.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No, can't think of any. They're people pretty much like any others I've ever met.

TNP thinks the people of one American state are particularly awful.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. As one well knows, it's not difficult to find redeeming qualities in any state. Except New Hampshire. Bunch of pricks up there.

TNP is completely done trying to "make friends" with women. For it is a losing game. It's like turning on a leaky faucet. Shouldn't be done.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Definitely disagree. I have all kinds of friends, and am always willing to find more.

TNP has a favorite tree.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. Many, but I'll say tsuga heterophylla for fun. Acer macrophyllum could be another one. Lots of options.

(And I should have specified extremely close friendships: it's a given that any two people of whatever sexes can be friendly, casual acquaintances. Friends, perhaps even good friends. But anything more, and it's difficult IMHO to keep sexual tension at the same time open and honest, to preserve and earn trust, and yet master those impulses).

TNP has been rather proud of himself or herself recently by salvaging a friendship which could have been lost to the possibly mastering sentiments of drama, romantic emotion. Keep the latter at bay, while being perfectly candid and honest, and there's a possibility to refocus.
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 04 Jul 2021 at 01:39 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Indeed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuga_heterophylla
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_macrophyllum

As to your question, no, that hasn't come up lately. Although I do have a distractingly sexy coworker....

TNP will be doing something to celebrate Independence Day (U.S.) today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Absolutely not. I have the day off, so I'm just going to be getting my head screwed on straight after dealing with some pesky emotions yesterday. Maybe have a nap before a bunch of yahoos start setting off fireworks, which is now illegal within this county and several neighboring ones. Because of risk of fire.

TNP finds it a good idea at times to take a break from a usual hangout, for a certain amount of time.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes. A little change now and then is a good thing; recharges the batteries and gives you a new perspective.

TNP has read or heard Beowulf in the past year.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Yes. I did check out the Seamus Heaney earlier, which for me was in the past year, and I did watch (or attempted to) the cartoon movie adaptation.

TNP can name a specific book which has been with him or her his or her life. Or, say, thirty or forty years of it. The Clementine Vulgate, Homer, or whatever.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I still have a Bible which my sister gave me in 1978, and a battered paperback copy of Gary Jennings's terrific historic novel, Aztec, which I've had for almost as long.

This has been a good Friday for TNP.

Registered
    Jul 2013

Not bad. Started out a bit rough (I work five days a week, so Fri and Sat are my "weekends"), getting up for an early dentist appointment and driving into downtown, which I hate. But, it was a regular cleaning for once and my gal Rachel was actually able to polish my teeth. Looks good, feels good, is good. But sitting in the chair with repetitive stress injury in a shoulder, after not much sleep, slightly hungover, and having forgotten to take some alprazolam with me, well, it wasn't ideal, but I just lied down and thought of England and tried to not imagine myself puking on this very diligent worker's magnificent torso.

TNP is fastidious with his or her dental hygiene and finds it an almost amusing hobby.

Registered
    Sep 2009

I try to be pretty careful and brush after every meal, but I don't floss more than once a week or so - more often if I get stuff caught in my teeth, like when I eat corn. But my dentist is almost always pleased by what she sees during my annual checkups.

TNP knew that Dan Quayle always got a teeth cleaning on Election Day, an odd tradition of his.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I know he he was, but I didn't know he was a freak. Strange. That man, sir, is no Jack Kennedy!

TNP has won some small prize in a raffle in recent memory.

Registered
    Sep 2009

It's been a few years, but I won some cork coasters that we still use now and then. Good for drinks with summer condensation.

TNP woke up sweaty today.

Registered
    Jul 2013

I woke up a little warm. No real sweating.

Coasters from Cork! Very good! Are they made of blackthorn wood, or something? They must be.

TNP is confident he or she can improvise a flawless, expert rejoinder if he or she should run into an undesired former friend and find a need to respond verbally.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yeah, I can usually come up with a quip when I need to.

They're coasters of cork, not from Cork.

TNP thinks capitalization can make all the difference.

Registered
    Jul 2013

NO. Or yes, really. CAPITALIZATION is one of the oldest typographical manners of effecting emphasis, and yet illiterate barbarian neckbeards (and various authors of handwritten deranged signs one finds in various neighborhoods) have ruined its majesty. Cf. Pound's Cantos.

TNP thinks that, upon hearing that a former friend was "not feeling very good," privately feeling a sense of justice and gladness is not a sign of sociopathy or an otherwise deranged mind.

Registered
    Sep 2009

If I really hated that former friend, yes, I might take secret pleasure in his or her illness. But that's not usually how I react.

TNP has a trip planned this weekend.

Registered
    Jul 2013

False. Like the late Sonny Bono, I prefer clean living and fresh air and trees.

TNP has solved the "beer can problem": namely, what to do with them, besides throw them in the trash, despite in certain states a $0.10 return on each. (I'll summarize: if I put them in the dumpster, it encourages vagrants, and while I can return them to centralized return centers, I have to spend a gallon of gasoline total and listen to hobo fights in the parking lot, which, while amusing, takes a long time and leaves me smelling of beer, which is not a good "look" for an operator of a motor vehicle in the eyes of a corrupt municipal or county enforcer).

Alternate TNP: TNP can name someone who fits the description of "denounced leader of a failed coup attempt."
    Last edited by Jizzelbin; 16 Jul 2021 at 11:27 PM.

Registered
    Sep 2009

The immediate former President of the United States, although I'd prefer not to name him.

TNP has at least two friends, as I do, who refuse to get their COVID vaccinations despite the best medical and scientific advice that they should.

Registered
    Feb 2009

Can’t say that’s the case. Everybody I know was eager to get their jabs.

TNP likes staying in hotels.

Registered
    Sep 2009

Yes, I do! And the nicer the hotel, the more I like it.

TNP usually doesn't sleep as well on hotel beds as at home, though.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I rarely sleep very well at home either, though, so it hardly matters. It happens I'm often pretty drunk by bedtime when at a hotel, though couldn't exactly say for sure.

TNP enjoys occasionally driving with no hands on the steering wheel. For no particular reason.

Registered
    Sep 2009

For very short stretches down very straight roads, yeah, now and then.

TNP has been in a bright-red car in the past week.

Registered
    Jul 2013

No. I have been in one over the past month though. Maybe two months ago, not sure.

TNP has a favorite type of guitar body: hollow, semi-hollow, or solid, for example.

Registered
    Sep 2009

No preference. I know almost nothing about guitars.

TNP has a preference between violins and violas.

+ Reply to thread